• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I'm not going to bother bringing up tired Pichu arguments. Everything that needed to be said regarding his potential inclusion or potential exclusion has been said.

No way you can convince most people because "There's too many Pokemon" , or the completely opinionated matter of "Pichu will be uninteresting."

I'm just prepping my salt barrel if he does make it in, but if not then I'll still have it prepared for other characters they wanted not making it in.

I won't have salt though. I'll pretty much support any choice the PMBR makes.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
I find the crap Pichu supporters need to endure hilarious, especially considering that he is hands down, no contest the most likely addition to the roster at this point.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I find the crap Pichu supporters need to endure hilarious, especially considering that he is hands down, no contest the most likely addition to the roster at this point.
But you have to admit that some of the people that want him in are a bit over the toptierpichu.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Yeesh, defensive much?

I just find it a bit silly that Pokemon already has about double the characters of any of the other franchises and they're still getting more. I'm not going to be super pissed or anything if he gets in, but it's certainly going to confuse me to hell and back.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
But you have to admit that some of the people that want him in are a bit over the toptierpichu.
When the entire world is ****ing on your opinion it's easy to overdo it to compensate. I'm not going to deny that some of us have gotten a bit carried away in the past, but ever since the Pichu icon was found on 3.0's launch we've mostly stopped advocating him because he's as good as in.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
I don't see what's wrong with that.
That can be said about all supporters of all characters. Black Shadow/Ganon supporters are whiny.They should be lucky Gdorf has a moveset at all! Ridley supporters are whiny. They should be lucky Metroid was repped at all, lmao underrepped. Isaac supporters are whiny! There's a reason he wasn't playable already lol. The list goes on.
Note: in jest

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
That can be said about all supporters of all characters. Black Shadow/Ganon supporters are whiny.They should be lucky Gdorf has a moveset at all! Ridley supporters are whiny. They should be lucky Metroid was repped at all, lmao underrepped. Isaac supporters are whiny! There's a reason he wasn't playable already lol. The list goes on.
Note: in jest
This too. Literally everyone here is just as "whiny" as Pichu fans, the only difference is that Pichu isn't as popular so it comes off as more bothersome to more people.

NWRL

Smash Ace
I understand wanting to have Pichu in, but having 8 reps is insane, even Mario only has 4 (6 if you count Wario and Yoshi).

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
I understand wanting to have Pichu in, but having 8 reps is insane, even Mario only has 4 (6 if you count Wario and Yoshi).
Except this is a fan mod meant to make an interesting and competitive tourney environment. It isn't the PMBR's job to represent Nintendo history, if you want fair "reps" play Smash 4.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Yeesh, defensive much?

I just find it a bit silly that Pokemon already has about double the characters of any of the other franchises and they're still getting more. I'm not going to be super pissed or anything if he gets in, but it's certainly going to confuse me to hell and back.
Merely a statement.

I don't expect you to read all 180 pages to see everything we said about Pichu already.

I just want people to weigh the pros and cons of the character returning before merely saying "There's too many Pokemon."

Let me make a completely hypothetical situation to compare.

-------------------------------------
Assume F-Zero was one of the most popular series and had 7 or so individual characters from their own series in smash brothers while still having Captain falcon.

Assume Ganondorf was removed from the vanilla version of the game for no apparent reason and the PMBR decided to bring him back. This character has a similar moveset to that of captain falcon, but the reception for Ganondorf coming back would be completely positive despite having a moveset that is similar to another franchise that is very represented.

Now if they brought black shadow in during this scenario but with Ganondorf's moveset, the reception would be nearly negative only because of the fact that F-Zero would have a lot of characters already.

Let's make another big assumption. Let's assume Nintendo had another monster type series that is completely unrepresented and has a character that Pichu's playstyle would work on perfectly. Assume that the PMBR decided to add this character with a rebalanced Pichu moveset. This character would be likely to get a lot of positive reception despite having a similar moveset based only on the fact that it comes from an unrepresented series.

------------------------------------------
Where am I going with this?

The people want this to be a popularity contest first and foremost instead of considering what unique things these characters can bring to the table.

For a series that has currently 710 unique creatures and potentially 300+ potential characters it's actually reasonable.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Except this is a fan mod meant to make an interesting and competitive tourney environment. It isn't the PMBR's job to represent Nintendo history, if you want fair "reps" play Smash 4.
While I respect your opinion, you need to understand that, for some people, PM isn't simply Brawl Melee-fied Tournament Edition; it's its own, unique Smash game. I agree with Anti Guy on this one, fan mod or not, it still needs to capture the essence of the series. Yes, it is intended for tourney-play but doesn't mean that they should add anyone just like that. I have continuously stated that I too don't care about fair representation, but many others do and I'm okay with that. Of course, adding one more Pokemon, say Pichu, isn't overkill in my eyes, but it seems that is the case for some people. And I'm pretty sure that, at this point, the PMBR too feels that this mod has somewhat become it's own thing and has gone beyond Melee 2.0.

Btw, I'm not trying to be aggressive here, but I just wanted to state my opinion, seeing as throughout the history of this thread, many people have said the same thing, making it seem like it's some sort of irrefutable fact.

NWRL

Smash Ace
A huge portion of the cast is from the Pokemon series, and Pichu wouldn't be an interesting addition for a good portion of the Project M fanbase. I don't care about fair representation, but I'm against oversaturation of a series when we could be using characters that are way more interesting. Hell, I'd rather we have Blaziken over Pichu, at least that would be something different, Pichu is nothing more than Pikachu with a smaller hitbox and self damage.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Yes, it is intended for tourney-play but doesn't mean that they should add anyone just like that.
I have to talk about this part.

This is the best thing about Pichu.

It wouldn't be added simply because it's a Pokemon and it's popular, it would be added on the basis that it has an established moveset, pre-made sounds, a model to base it off of, animations to base it off of, and a unique gimmick that can be reworked into something great.

The problem that gets everyone is that Pichu is a Pokemon. Something that we have a lot of. It doesn't help that it's a lower evolution of an already existing Pokemon.

Most people here know that Pokemon has a lot of characters. That's why you don't see many Pokemon requests aside from Pichu. Pichu is only on anyone's thought processes because of his status as a Melee veteran.

Pichu is nothing more than Pikachu with a smaller hitbox and self damage.
Do you honestly think the PMBR would just let Pichu exist without making any changes to him at all?

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
A huge portion of the cast is from the Pokemon series, and Pichu wouldn't be an interesting addition for a good portion of the Project M fanbase. I don't care about fair representation, but I'm against oversaturation of a series when we could be using characters that are way more interesting. Hell, I'd rather we have Blaziken over Pichu, at least that would be something different, Pichu is nothing more than Pikachu with a smaller hitbox and self damage.
So basically Pichu is a bad choice because you don't want him, got it. I'm really not going to bother arguing this with you seeing as it's a tired debate and we already have reason to believe that the PMBR is working on Pichu right now.

NWRL

Smash Ace
Do you honestly think the PMBR would just let Pichu exist without making any changes to him at all?
Obviously not, but why would you want a character that's extremely similar to one that's on the roster.

My logic is this, we have seven slots to work with, so each choice has to be different and interesting enough to take a slot away from all possible alternatives.

Why even both with Pichu when we can add in Shulk, Isaac, Skull Kid, Black Shadow, Ray MK II, etc. There's just way more options that will suit the game better than Pikachu's pre-evolution.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
Obviously not, but why would you want a character that's extremely similar to one that's on the roster.

My logic is this, we have seven slots to work with, so each choice has to be different and interesting enough to take a slot away from all possible alternatives.

Why even both with Pichu when we can add in Shulk, Isaac, Skull Kid, Black Shadow, Ray MK II, etc. There's just way more options that will suit the game better than Pikachu's pre-evolution.
lol

NWRL

Smash Ace
At least Shulk is a new character. Black Shadow/Ganondorf is a great idea and will end up giving Ganondorf a moveset that's true to his character.

Pichu is literally Pikachu but slightly different, it's a joke character for hipsters.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Seems to me that both aides of the Pichu argument are "whiny".

Wasn't Pichu discussion moved to another thread?

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
At least Shulk is a new character. Black Shadow/Ganondorf is a great idea and will end up giving Ganondorf a moveset that's true to his character.

Pichu is literally Pikachu but slightly different, it's a joke character for hipsters.
Shulk is ineligible because he wasn't in Brawl
Black Shadow is a generic nobody from an (unfortunately) dead franchise. Furthermore giving him Ganon's moves would alienate Ganon mains.
Pichu is a character that was in Melee that a good deal of people actually have enjoyed playing as in the past.

But again, this argument is pointless because Pichu is as good as in. You can bring your salt shaker back when he debuts.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion

Psssssst Shulk is ineligible
psssst Black Shadow is a terrible idea because you're pretty much pissing on a fraction of your fanbase. There's a reason he was the big fan pick for the Turbo Tuesdays videos.

Roy is just Marth but worse ooooooooo

Xaranid

Smash Apprentice
Black Shadow is a generic nobody from an (unfortunately) dead franchise. Furthermore giving him Ganon's moves would alienate Ganon mains.
Pichu is a character that was in Melee that a good deal of people actually have enjoyed playing as in the past.

But again, this argument is pointless because Pichu is as good as in. You can bring your salt shaker back when he debuts.
I just can't get over how much of a **** you are. Pichu or no, you're a jerk and a troll.

NWRL

Smash Ace

yeah i'll be super salty when he makes it in :^)

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
I just can't get over how much of a **** you are. Pichu or no, you're a jerk and a troll.
May want to touch up on your internet lingo. A troll is someone who intentionally rustles jimmies, not someone who disagrees with you. If you find my posts offensive then maybe you should take a step back and ask yourself why you're taking my opinions on roster as a personal attack.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Obviously not, but why would you want a character that's extremely similar to one that's on the roster?
Because they add to the gameplay.

There's a reason why people main Falco instead of Fox, Luigi instead of Mario, and Captain Falcon instead of Ganondorf.

Seems to me that both sides of the Pichu argument are "whiny".

Thread in question was locked.

I'll also never understand why me defending each point coherently while jesting a little bit every now and then is seen as Whiny anyway.

Xaranid

Smash Apprentice
May want to touch up on your internet lingo. A troll is someone who intentionally rustles jimmies, not someone who disagrees with you. If you find my posts offensive then maybe you should take a step back and ask yourself why you're taking my opinions on roster as a personal attack.
No no, you're a troll. You go at anyone who doesn't like the idea of Pichu being in the game, and put down anything that they want over Pichu. And since you're a troll, I'm ending this conversation here.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
No no, you're a troll. You go at anyone who doesn't like the idea of Pichu being in the game, and put down anything that they want over Pichu. And since you're a troll, I'm ending this conversation here.
Kay, bye. Do yourself a favor and see a doctor about your sodium intake. I'm worried about your health.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Alright, fan mod of Melee or no, I can't help but remind you all that this is a crossover fighter.
Characters in these sorts of games shouldn't be decided upon decisions such as what they were in a previous game in the crossover itself, that's not what it's about. It's about representing characters in tons of our favorite franchises and bringing them to a different light.
Pichu was added to Melee as padding, anyone who denies that is kidding themselves. Project M has potential for offering representation that, quite frankly, Sakurai doesn't care for even after much fan demand. I can't fathom why anyone would want a character "bcuz melee" (we also have Roy representing that crowd already :) ) when there is a lot of potential in what will amount to, quite realistically, 1 or 2 characters. Yes I know as a mod for Melee, expectations can be swapped around a bit, but I hope people see more potential then that damn mouse... as does the PM:BR.

Alright, that's all I have to say. Go on with your petty conflicts. This topic has been hitting the ****ter lately anyways and I fear it's all downhill from here. I'm just going to lurk this topic now until some random genius finally occurs.

Last edited:

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
I can't fathom why anyone would want a character "bcuz melee"
Because some people mained him and want to be able to play as him in the definitive Smash Bros game. It's not exactly rocket science.

Xaranid

Smash Apprentice
Because some people mained him and want to be able to play as him in the definitive Smash Bros game. It's not exactly rocket science.
Do yourself a favor and see a doctor about your sodium intake. I'm worried about your health.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
Do yourself a favor and see a doctor about your sodium intake. I'm worried about your health.
Seriously, dude, what's your beef? I don't think I've said a single word to you outside defending myself from your accusations of me being a troll. You seriously need to reassess your life if somebody expressing their opinions in a moderately blunt manner is causing you this much grief. I gotta ask, what's your goal?

#ABAB #rhymes #poundsign

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I can't fathom why anyone would want a character "bcuz melee"
"bcuz melee" isn't a good representation for my opinion on the matter.

I want the character back because I feel it has potential.
If I honestly thought the PMBR could do nothing to make a character I liked even more likable I would drop the subject entirely. However, they have shown that they are capable of changing characters significantly enough to where they are much better, more diverse, and even more fun to play.

I can look at Roy who is probably in my top three favorite characters for project M and see how hard they worked on him. I look at all the work they did on this character and see how much I really love playing as him. Then I think "What would they do with Pichu?"

I don't know about you but that makes me extremely excited to see what they would do with this character if they do choose him.

I'm not saying that every other choice is wrong either. I'm stoked to see whatever the PMBR will surprise me with, but I don't think it's wrong for me to be a fan of a specific character to make a return because of the experiences I had with them in a different iteration of smash brothers.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Seems to me that both aides of the Pichu argument are "whiny".

It was deleted. Any "new" character discussions stick to here.

Who really mains Pichu? I'm being seriously here. Not seconding, not using so you can make a person's loss more humilating but actually maining and going to tournies with?

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Who really mains Pichu? I'm being seriously here. Not seconding, not using so you can make a person's loss more humilating but actually maining and going to tournies with?
As a Non-tourney player I've never had a main so much as characters I enjoy playing with.

Pichu was in there not because of the salt but because he felt better to me than Pikachu and managed to become one of my favorites in Melee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom