• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
There is a "Ray" lightning sky model at least in the DS version http://customrobo.wikia.com/wiki/Ray_Sky . I think considering there are a load of different Rays that they could make a model of him that's inspired by a bunch of different versions of him. I pretty much only used the transforming robots in that game cause I love transforming robots in general so I'm a little biased but I really do think that adding that sort of feature would work super well.

Edit: also what the **** is a "Too Bigot"?
This. Any varient of Ray could essentially use other models abilities in the context of Smash Bros. They can call him Ray Model S or P:M for all I care, as long as Ray is visually similar to the present models.

Rasgar

Smash Apprentice
- The Smash series has been known to give characters non-canon attacks or attacks from relative characters of the same franchise.
Do you have any examples? I'm feeling stupid and I really can't think of anything. In any case, I kind of feel like turning into a jet is a different case - it would be like ZSS turning into a morph ball. It would just be weird (at least, I think so).

There is a "Ray" lightning sky model at least in the DS version http://customrobo.wikia.com/wiki/Ray_Sky . I think considering there are a load of different Rays that they could make a model of him that's inspired by a bunch of different versions of him.
I forgot about that one. At the same time, Ray Sky is the only Ray that isn't a Shining Fighter, and I feel like it would be best to represent him as a Shining Fighter. I don't personally see any reason to make a combination model either - aside from Ray Sky, they pretty much have the same abilities (since they can all use the same weapons). If anything, other Ray models could be alternate "costumes".

also what the **** is a "Too Bigot"?
Too big + bigot = too bigot. I guess his point is that other characters have changed size to adjust to SSB, and anyone who says that Ridley is a special case is just bigoted against Ridley. Not sure how that works, exactly.

My turn for a stupid question: what is all this talk of salt? I have no idea what they're talking about.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
That was a nice read Solbliminal. Only going off from the design, a projectile-heavy character was what I had in mind, so your ideas were spot-on. What about his speed? I would say he would be one of the faster characters and a fast-faller too.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
My turn for a stupid question: what is all this talk of salt? I have no idea what they're talking about.
Someone is salty if they're upset. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's derived from the fact that tears are salty.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Do you have any examples? I'm feeling stupid and I really can't think of anything. In any case, I kind of feel like turning into a jet is a different case - it would be like ZSS turning into a morph ball. It would just be weird (at least, I think so).
Captain Falcon's moveset, Mario being able to jump more then once, Luigi's fireball being green and only going in one direction, etc.

Rasgar

Smash Apprentice
Captain Falcon's moveset, Mario being able to jump more then once, Luigi's fireball being green and only going in one direction, etc.
I guess I should clarify, I meant characters being given moves from other characters in the same series. I can't think of any examples of that.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
I guess I should clarify, I meant characters being given moves from other characters in the same series. I can't think of any examples of that.
Well Pikachu knows Thunderbolt and other pokemon can also learn thunderbolt :troll:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
If I'm not mistaking, the Mother characters have many moves used by fellow party members in their respective games.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Ness has the attacks of a party member rather than all of his own moves. Ganondorf being a falcon clone.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Ness has the attacks of a party member rather than all of his own moves. Ganondorf being a falcon clone.
1) Ganon and Falcon are from different universes so bringing it up is pointless
2) Who says Ganon can't use moves similar to the Captain in his games but chooses not too
3) Ness's Final Smash is PK Starstorm which wasn't a real PSI power until Mother 3

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
2) Who says Ganon can't use moves similar to the Captain in his games but chooses not too
3) Ness's Final Smash is PK Starstorm which wasn't a real PSI power until Mother 3
You're only doing this to start a pointless off topic argument and have been progressively more annoying towards me in particular as the pages go on. But to retort:

1) Rather they were or were not is irrelevant, he wanted an example of a character using another's moves. It was much more significant than your Pikachu statement, which did the opposite.

2) The fact he doesn't do them canonically applies to my initial statement "non-canon attacks".

3) Nobody was talking about PK Starstorm. It was brought up as a topic by a few other Mother / Earthbound fans in this thread that Ness doesn't use his full canonical moveset. So sit down and stop being a sour note to every discussion I'm in. I like ya dude, but just chill the hell out. I'm trying to have a serious discussion.

Giygue

Smash Journeyman
Um...Prince Poo learns PK Starstorm in EarthBound/Mother 2 about 2/3 through the game...seriously, did you do your research? And even then, if it hadn't existed until mother 3, how could there be unused voice clips of Ness saying PK Starstorm in Smash 64?

I'm honestly dissapointed that they didn't make it PK Rockin/"Favorite thing" I mean, the only move he learns in EarthBound that he has in smash is PK Flash...

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
You're only doing this to start a pointless off topic argument and have been progressively more annoying towards me in particular as the pages go on. But to retort:

1) Rather they were or were not is irrelevant, he wanted an example of a character using another's moves. It was much more significant than your Pikachu statement, which did the opposite.

2) The fact he doesn't do them canonically applies to my initial statement "non-canon attacks".

3) Nobody was talking about PK Starstorm. It was brought up as a topic by a few other Mother / Earthbound fans in this thread that Ness doesn't use his full canonical moveset. So sit down and stop being a sour note to every discussion I'm in. I like ya dude, but just chill the hell out. I'm trying to have a serious discussion.
1 & 3) he said he specifically wanted attacks given to characters that they couldn't learn in their games and got from other characters in the same series (Ness got Lucas'sPrince Poo's PK Starstorm)

Um...Prince Poo learns PK Starstorm in EarthBound/Mother 2 about 2/3 through the game...seriously, did you do your research? And even then, if it hadn't existed until mother 3, how could there be unused voice clips of Ness saying PK Starstorm in Smash 64?
oops

Rasgar

Smash Apprentice
No need to argue the semantics - I have the example I asked for. I had no idea about Ness since I've never played anything from that series. Ganon/Falcon may be a little different, but it's still technically an example.

Despite this, I still don't think that Ray should have a jet mode. Being able to transform your body seems to be on a different level than learning a new technique. I presume Ganondorf could learn how to punch people, and Ness could possibly learn other PK techniques (again, I don't know anything about the Mother series, but his FS trophy suggests that it's possible). But no one could just learn how to turn into a morph ball or fold up into a jet. I know I'm probably nitpicking but it just bugs me for some reason.

Also, on the subject of Ray Sky, wouldn't he technically be ineligible since he's not in Brawl?

HayabusaTaichou

Smash Apprentice
Zelda has variations on the three spells Link can lean in OoT. If you actually gave her a moveset based on how she would appear to fight in the Zelda games she would probably fight with a sword like what she has in TP, a bow and light magic.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
^ oops

But does it really make my point less valid? Ness doesn't know the move. And chances are I messed up somewhere in reading the Earthbound discussion that happened pages ago. My bad. And as far as Ganondorf is concerned, I was aware of what I was being asked and responded despite knowing it wasn't what he specifically asked.

That still doesn't excuse you from being a real pain the last few pages or so. I don't know what I said or did to you to invoke your remarks. If it is something I said about Pichu, then drop it. I stopped speaking my thoughts of the character ages ago (and even provided him with a half-vote because no one deserves to lose a main). I'm sincerely trying to be serious about this topic since it may very well be the last worthwhile character discussion left before people start running back to the bottom of the barrel. And I actually freaking like Custom Robo.

HayabusaTaichou

Smash Apprentice
No need to argue the semantics - I have the example I asked for. I had no idea about Ness since I've never played anything from that series. Ganon/Falcon may be a little different, but it's still technically an example.

Despite this, I still don't think that Ray should have a jet mode. Being able to transform your body seems to be on a different level than learning a new technique. I presume Ganondorf could learn how to punch people, and Ness could possibly learn other PK techniques (again, I don't know anything about the Mother series, but his FS trophy suggests that it's possible). But no one could just learn how to turn into a morph ball or fold up into a jet. I know I'm probably nitpicking but it just bugs me for some reason.

Also, on the subject of Ray Sky, wouldn't he technically be ineligible since he's not in Brawl?
It's more of a matter of what would be cool than a matter of what's accurate, also the Ray wouldn't be Ray Sky he would be a regular looking ray with maybe some slight alterations to give him a transformation. That's sort of why I suggested giving him aesthetic elements from various Rays/coming up with a new design for him. It would be cool if Ray was like a Ray for Smash Bros like how older series get character redesigns.

Edit: also you could design new weapons to fit the model so that the odd incongruity that some weapon designs have in the custom Robo game could be eliminated.

Last edited:

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
^ oops

But does it really make my point less valid? Ness doesn't know the move. And chances are I messed up somewhere in reading the Earthbound discussion that happened pages ago. My bad. And as far as Ganondorf is concerned, I was aware of what I was being asked and responded despite knowing it wasn't what he specifically asked.

That still doesn't excuse you from being a real pain the last few pages or so. I don't know what I said or did to you to invoke your remarks. If it is something I said about Pichu, then drop it. I stopped speaking my thoughts of the character ages ago (and even provided him with a half-vote because no one deserves to lose a main). I'm sincerely trying to be serious about this topic since it may very well be the last worthwhile character discussion left before people start running back to the bottom of the barrel. And I actually freaking like Custom Robo.
I don't know what your talking about, if I've been aggravating you for the last few pages then I sincerely apologize and I'm also sorry for the Ganon comments because I thought you were just trying to stir an argument with Ganon mains.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
It's more of a matter of what would be cool than a matter of what's accurate, also the Ray wouldn't be Ray Sky he would be a regular looking ray with maybe some slight alterations to give him a transformation. That's sort of why I suggested giving him aesthetic elements from various Rays/coming up with a new design for him. It would be cool if Ray was like a Ray for Smash Bros like how older series get character redesigns.
Again, this. But rather or not he does jet mode does not matter to me. I just want to see the character. Take my moveset with a grain of salt, because it is more likely that P:M will come up with their own (better) moveset that the fans will enjoy. The point of the moveset post is to gauge the interest of people who might support him. You are free to share your own ideas Rasgar. Just know that a character doesn't have to be 100% canonically accurate.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
The Mother boys.

Edit: God damn, I didn't just get ninja'd, I got n-n-n-n-n-n-ninja'dddddd.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I don't know what your talking about, if I've been aggravating you for the last few pages then I sincerely apologize and I'm also sorry for the Ganon comments because I thought you were just trying to stir an argument with Ganon mains.
Trust me when I say my intent was never to stir blood of any sort. I merely was trying to provide a quick response since I'm limited to using a cellphone at the moment.

Another thing about this I would like to point out. Characters do things in Smash that technically would be impossible to "learn". Sonic can't learn to spawn springs from thin air is a good example. I'm a diehard for Sonic, but I'm not complaining about canonical details. It is a non-canon crossover.

Rasgar

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, you all make good points. I guess at this point it all comes down to a matter of preference. I'll hold to my stance on the matter - I'd prefer that he doesn't have a jet form.

Anyway, moving on with the discussion. I suppose I should mention that I've never been a competitive Smash player, and I have no idea what should go into a well-rounded moveset or be considered for the sake of balance. A lot of technical aspects about playstyles and character types will probably go over my head, so all I can really offer as ideas for movesets are things I think would be cool.

The first thing is that I think he should have at least one gun, bomb, and pod, since that would be in every robo's arsenal. I can't think of any good specific weapons at the moment, I might have to bust the game back out to brush up on some details and pick out some good weapons. I can think of two right now:

Blade Gun: This gun is shaped like a large sword, and shoots sword-shaped projectiles. However, I'd want this for some of the A button moves and , as mentioned by Solbliminal, modify it to be used for close range attacks. Rather than use it as a gun, he could just temporarily equip it for one of his moves and smack people with it, like a regular sword.

Trap Gun: My favorite gun from the games by far, though honestly I don't know if it could be done in P:M. This gun shoots a spread of tiny, harmless projectiles a great distance away from the user, where they float in place. After a few seconds the projectiles dramatically increase in size, then come flying towards the nearest enemy. I guess it would be a little like throwing a motion-sensor bomb that doesn't hurt people on its flight path. And instead of blowing up when someone steps on it, it comes towards enemies of its own accord. So... I guess, not really like a motion-sensor bomb at all. But hopefully I've conveyed the idea well enough.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Yeah, you all make good points. I guess at this point it all comes down to a matter of preference. I'll hold to my stance on the matter - I'd prefer that he doesn't have a jet form.

Anyway, moving on with the discussion. I suppose I should mention that I've never been a competitive Smash player, and I have no idea what should go into a well-rounded moveset or be considered for the sake of balance. A lot of technical aspects about playstyles and character types will probably go over my head, so all I can really offer as ideas for movesets are things I think would be cool.

The first thing is that I think he should have at least one gun, bomb, and pod, since that would be in every robo's arsenal. I can't think of any good specific weapons at the moment, I might have to bust the game back out to brush up on some details and pick out some good weapons. I can think of two right now:

Blade Gun: This gun is shaped like a large sword, and shoots sword-shaped projectiles. However, I'd want this for some of the A button moves and , as mentioned by Solbliminal, modify it to be used for close range attacks. Rather than use it as a gun, he could just temporarily equip it for one of his moves and smack people with it, like a regular sword.

Trap Gun: My favorite gun from the games by far, though honestly I don't know if it could be done in P:M. This gun shoots a spread of tiny, harmless projectiles a great distance away from the user, where they float in place. After a few seconds the projectiles dramatically increase in size, then come flying towards the nearest enemy. I guess it would be a little like throwing a motion-sensor bomb that doesn't hurt people on its flight path. And instead of blowing up when someone steps on it, it comes towards enemies of its own accord. So... I guess, not really like a motion-sensor bomb at all. But hopefully I've conveyed the idea well enough.
The sword gun is actually a pretty damn good suggestion. I was actually thinking of the dragon gun (forget the specific name) for one of his aerials or smashes.

But as for the Trap Gun, however, would definitely be up in the air. I couldn't think of it as balanced.

NWRL

Smash Ace
Can we just use the Waluigi PSA that's on the first page, the EWGF+hellsweep copying is hilarious.

HayabusaTaichou

Smash Apprentice
In regards to technical limitations, could you have the guns and pods and **** change on the model? Like would they be articles or what?

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
In regards to technical limitations, could you have the guns and pods and **** change on the model? Like would they be articles or what?
I'm actually not sure how far the technical limitations will stretch with Samus, but I know that Link and Snake have roughly enough articles for what is needed in a Ray moveset that uses all those things. But then the question is, would the moveset I've typed up thus far be compatible with said characters?

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
half vote for ray

cos why not

i don't hate the character

i don't like the character

but i'd be ok with him

so a half vote for ray

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
That was a nice read Solbliminal. Only going off from the design, a projectile-heavy character was what I had in mind, so your ideas were spot-on. What about his speed? I would say he would be one of the faster characters and a fast-faller too.
I don't think I got back to you on this. My apologies. As far as his speed is concerned, he is no faster than characters like Snake or Samus on foot. But the speed you are referring to is from his air dashes / jet mode. His dashes that stem from his Up-B additional inputs would be short but quick bursts of speed. A good example of this is his assist trophy's dash speed, but covering about anywhere from ½ to ⅓ of the distance.

Also, Ray would most definitely need upscales to about the average humanoid stature.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Hey, what if they gave Ray the ability to shoot Ray Gun or Super Scope shots like the Zero PSA did? I don't think that takes articles since it's just spawning shots that already exist universally as items.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Characters I think would be good for the clone engine
Tom Nook
Ridley #
Black Shadow/Ganondorf
Isaac #
Saki

# means decent chance of SSB4 appearance or better. So +1 to them

Can't really -1 anything...

Tom Nook: Perhaps a more jokey character. I imagine his Up be could have him do a super jump and flutter down as a reference to him being a tanooki. He could use an envelope as a projectile, perhaps like a blunt projectile that knock an opponent back a little, like Wolf's Blaster, but less like Ivysaur's razor leaf save in movement. Perhaps a bell sack toad esqe move in which he counters? that would be funny.
Ganondorf: Give him a Chargable projectile, an aether esqe recovery, and a counter of sorts to help with projectiles and I am good.
Saki: Rushdown. Give him some sword swipes and bullet rains for smashes and charge shots for a standard b, that could work...

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Hey, what if they gave Ray the ability to shoot Ray Gun or Super Scope shots like the Zero PSA did? I don't think that takes articles since it's just spawning shots that already exist universally as items.
As much I like the idea, I don't think it would really justify the specific projectiles of the weapons Ray uses. And besides. The missile, arrow, or rocket articles of Link, Samus, or Snake can easily be modified. The problem isn't the projectile articles necessarily, but the weapons they are fired from is. It would be roughly 4 or more weapons. This is counting:

- A standard gun for Ray.
- A bomb or missile type weapon.
- A weapon that fires a "pod" based attack.
- Any weapon that a melee attack can be designated to.

If the Blade Gun, Standard Gun, and Pod Gun were all present then it would be fine since the Blade Gun could be responsible for all melee type attacks, the standard gun for all projectiles, and pod gun for all pod and missile attacks.

Shin F.

Smash Master
As much I like the idea, I don't think it would really justify the specific projectiles of the weapons Ray uses. And besides. The missile, arrow, or rocket articles of Link, Samus, or Snake can easily be modified. The problem isn't the projectile articles necessarily, but the weapons they are fired from is. It would be roughly 4 or more weapons. This is counting:

- A standard gun for Ray.
- A bomb or missile type weapon.
- A weapon that fires a "pod" based attack.
- Any weapon that a melee attack can be designated to.

If the Blade Gun, Standard Gun, and Pod Gun were all present then it would be fine since the Blade Gun could be responsible for all melee type attacks, the standard gun for all projectiles, and pod gun for all pod and missile attacks.
Why would the weapons be any more of a problem than the projectiles? Projectiles are limited depending on who he's cloned from, but you can just add weapons to his model and control their visibility using bones if he puts them away or something. That's far less difficult than editing projectiles. It's about the same level of difficulty as adding Final Smash eyes, which is honestly fairly easy to do.

I was mainly thinking that he could use them for a couple of his normal attacks, not his specials, in the same way that Mega Man does in SSB4.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Why would the weapons be any more of a problem than the projectiles? Projectiles are limited depending on who he's cloned from, but you can just add weapons to his model and control their visibility using bones if he puts them away or something. That's far less difficult than editing projectiles. It's about the same level of difficulty as adding Final Smash eyes, which is honestly fairly easy to do.

I was mainly thinking that he could use them for a couple of his normal attacks, not his specials, in the same way that Mega Man does in SSB4.
Got my internet back finally.

Now to the point of what I was saying.. It would seem wrong to make the projectiles not similar to that of the Custom Robo's weapons. It is like making Dr. Mario not shoot pills with his B attack (Which PMBR did fix). On top of that, I haven't the slightest clue what property modifications would have to be made with the Raygun or Super Scope blasts to balance the damage, knockback, and other technical aspects. That might entitle actually modifying the properties of the Super Scope and Raygun respectively. But if you would like to explain it to me, I will gladly listen.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Got my internet back finally.

Now to the point of what I was saying.. It would seem wrong to make the projectiles not similar to that of the Custom Robo's weapons. It is like making Dr. Mario not shoot pills with his B attack (Which PMBR did fix). On top of that, I haven't the slightest clue what property modifications would have to be made with the Raygun or Super Scope blasts to balance the damage, knockback, and other technical aspects. That might entitle actually modifying the properties of the Super Scope and Raygun respectively. But if you would like to explain it to me, I will gladly listen.
I was mostly just throwing the idea out there since I've never actually played Custom Robo, so you'd know more about whether it suits him than I would. I won't argue over that. I will say, though, that I don't think it would be any more out of place for him than Samus' Charge Beam is. Her beams have never looked or worked like they do in Smash.

Also, this is kind of off topic, but I'm curious: would anyone mind if they did modify the Ray Gun or Super Scope? Look what they changed the Spicy Curry into. I bet we'd end up with much more awesome items if they played around with more of them.

PaRappa the Rapper

Smash Cadet
Samurai Goroh OR Black Shadow
F-Zero is a great franchise and needs a second rep in Smash. Both characters are unique and cool looking that will fit right in!

Please PMBR! Us F-Zero fans aren't exactly getting any love from Nintendo, so please bring one of them in
:(

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I was mostly just throwing the idea out there since I've never actually played Custom Robo, so you'd know more about whether it suits him than I would. I won't argue over that. I will say, though, that I don't think it would be any more out of place for him than Samus' Charge Beam is. Her beams have never looked or worked like they do in Smash.

Also, this is kind of off topic, but I'm curious: would anyone mind if they did modify the Ray Gun or Super Scope? Look what they changed the Spicy Curry into. I bet we'd end up with much more awesome items if they played around with more of them.
Melee Beam Sword K Thx

But seriously. Samus' charge shot was established in the same way Ganondorf got his moveset in Melee. My gripe is mostly coming from having a unique projectile vs having to barrow one and feel like....ehhhh.....why is Ray shooting Super Scope shots?

Shin F.

Smash Master
Melee Beam Sword K Thx

But seriously. Samus' charge shot was established in the same way Ganondorf got his moveset in Melee. My gripe is mostly coming from having a unique projectile vs having to barrow one and feel like....ehhhh.....why is Ray shooting Super Scope shots?
Fair enough, I suppose. I won't bother with the point that canon means nothing since it's been beaten to death.

Actually, come to think of it, since they managed to have the Zero PSA borrow item projectiles, I wonder if it's possible to use Assist Trophy projectiles the same way... that would be very interesting. If it was, they could actually have him borrow the shots from his own Assist Trophy...

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Tom Nook? ugh. ****ing why. Having characters already in the game with absolutely NO moveset inspiration and no good basis for any of their moves is not a good reason to go adding more characters like that. "But we could invent moves based on in-game items and stuff!" Okay sure, you could, but that's not an argument for him anymore than it is for thousands of characters from various other games. We already have joke characters. We don't need Nook. What is a good argument for him? Being a recurring character from somewhat relevant games isn't really a good reason by itself. There are a lot of characters like that that won't be getting in.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Fair enough, I suppose. I won't bother with the point that canon means nothing since it's been beaten to death.

Actually, come to think of it, since they managed to have the Zero PSA borrow item projectiles, I wonder if it's possible to use Assist Trophy projectiles the same way... that would be very interesting. If it was, they could actually have him borrow the shots from his own Assist Trophy...
Now that was actually something I was going to bring up. Do you think it is possible? If so, I would be completely all in for that.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Now that was actually something I was going to bring up. Do you think it is possible? If so, I would be completely all in for that.
I don't know. On the one hand, they borrowed from the items for the Zero PSA and there don't seem to be any issues, so Assist Trophies might work the same. On the other, if it was possible, then the PMBR would have been able to make new articles by borrowing from Assist Trophies all along... so I honestly have no idea :/

Does anyone know if ATs are stored in memory at all times in the same way items are? I know items are always in memory because they exist in common3.pac and are loaded at the strap loader, but I think Assist Trophies each have their own files, though the item itself is in common3. I'm not sure if they're loaded when they're released or if they simply remain in memory like the items. If they only remain in memory while they exist on the stage, then it won't be possible. If they remain at all times like other items, then it theoretically would be possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom