• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

red9rd

Smash Ace
Honestly let's just use the remaining clone engine slots on Zelda characters, they're all amazing. : >

Skull Kid, Tetra, Mikau, Deku Link, and Groose?

Honestly even that's not enough, you miss out on Goron Link, the trolling potential of Tingle, people's ideas for Zant, dual-wielding Toon Ganondorf....

One day. Maybe by 2025, when the clone engine has been opened up to the people and we've gotten our grubby little hands on it and created some heinous abominations, I'll be able to look at the roster and see nothing but Zelda.

*COUGH HACK WHEEZE*

So here's a list of some characters that seem to be much easier to implement than the others we've discussed. That big ol' tier list isn't necessarily perfect, and issues always pop up, but this is probably an interesting place to start from.

- Dark Samus
- Ninten
- Shadow (If he remains extremely similar to Sonic, meaning no projectiles like guns or chaos magic)
- Knuckles
- Pichu (Based on Roy's implementation, I'm positive her workload would be a little more then people are estimating)
- Telda

So, how do you feel about these characters, everyone? I'm not saying "what if this was the list" because that doesn't really make sense, but are there any on this short list of manageable requests that you'd be excited about?

The one thing that immediately strikes me is that no one on this short list has been wildly popular in this thread, but there are some playstyles I'd be very interested in. Toon Zelda would probably be a blast, I'd love to see what they'd do with Dark Samus, and ofc I'm a Pichu nerd/lover/fanboy/evil that's destroying Project M kinda guy. =) I'm not too sweet on Shadow or Knuckles, just because they'd feel...... weird.... and Ninten (while awesome) kind of has that same problem.

Thoughts?
You had me at Groose, I didn't have to read the rest.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
- Dark Samus
- Ninten
- Shadow (If he remains extremely similar to Sonic, meaning no projectiles like guns or chaos magic)
- Knuckles
- Pichu (Based on Roy's implementation, I'm positive her workload would be a little more then people are estimating)
- Telda

So, how do you feel about these characters, everyone? I'm not saying "what if this was the list" because that doesn't really make sense, but are there any on this short list of manageable requests that you'd be excited about?
Dark samus I have no quarrel with. I wonder if Samus should lose that new beam switch idea and give it to a character that isn't extremely established already.

Don't get me wrong I really think the Ice beam switch on samus is pretty damn cool :cool:, but Ph00tbag gave an argument that I just can't disagree with in another thread.

Ninten has potential but I don't know how the PMBR would do it.

Shadow. I don't know about him. I want a orange/Red tier shadow instead of an almost similar to sonic Green tier shadow. They may both be hedgehogs and have similar attacks in some games, but in quite a few they have been shown to fight much differently.

Knuckles. I think they could do it right for him. Less kicks on the moveset since knuckles is a puncher.

Pichu. At this point I think everyone knows how I feel about Pichu.

Tetra/Zelda. A clone of a transforming character? I'm not sure about it. Toon Zelda as a standalone I'd go for, but I'm not actually that interested in Tetra.

Beckstat

Smash Rookie
Lucario is a fighting type pokemon, its not Shoryuken, its sky uppercut, its not what ever it is spin kick or whatever, they are representititve of the pokemon games PK Techno dosnt exist
The move is not confirmed to be Sky Uppercut, and that does not mean PK Techno can't be implemented, it can exist if it is in Smash Bros.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
Outside of this thread, Masked Man rarely ever comes up.
WTF, how is this even relevant? This is the ONLY thread dedicated to P:M newcomers.

WTF where do you think people are talking about this other then here? Youtube Comments? IGN? Smash 4 Forums?

This is where you talk about newcomers into Project M.. So if he or ANY other character comes up in this thread they are relevent to Project M speculation and want.

I'm not slamming your Down vote though your entitled to that. Just that statement in particular makes no sense.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
- Sukapon (Even if the model would be simple, creating such a unique moveset would be a challenge. Also, unorthodox hit-boxes and has no real base to work from. All animations would be made from scratch, even if they base some of his moves off of other characters)
What does "creating a moveset would be a challenge" actually mean?
I don't see how hitboxes are an issue, as making a hitbox is quite easy, and balance has already been said to be a non-issue.
If an animation has a base, then it's not made from scratch. Many of its animations could also be based off of its other animations, as well.
Animations would still be Sukapon's biggest challenge, though, and I can't really argue with the tier placement (maybe down one, if Ridley can make it there).
I'm interested to to hear from someone who knows about whether the drag-and-drop animations described in this post - where tweens are allowed to do everything since Sukapon's pieces needn't respond to what the other pieces are doing same way as a normal character's muscles would, since there's no worry of limbs bending in odd ways or passing through one another, and especially since that's how it moved in Joy Mech Fight - would save much time and produce usable results.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
The move is not confirmed to be Sky Uppercut, and that does not mean PK Techno can't be implemented, it can exist if it is in Smash Bros.
The move isn't confirmed to be sky uppercut, but it is in the physical capabilities of Lucario, given his agility and strength.

PK Techno may or may not be in the capabilities of Ninten because it is a fanmade technique. We have no Idea if he could do it and unless someone official confirmed that he could do it then we would not know.

---------------------------------------------
I have another example. Hypothetically, Flareon could use Flare Blitz. He has the power, and ability to cloak himself in flames in the same manner since he can use flame charge. He also had a massive attack stat and that complements Flare Blitz perfectly. It's like the two were made for each other.

However, he couldn't learn it, and no one would even consider him to know this move because no one official gave him a say so. This is because Flare Blitz falls into the category of a special power.

These special powers are "Moves" that cannot be learned by beings unless explicitly stated.

However, an uppercut is something that anyone can do as long as they have the physical capabilities.

This isn't to say that he can't be given the technique regardless. I'm just saying that no one officially knows if this Technique would be possible for Ninten to actually do.

Err, I realized I was just rambling, so don't take this as a point against or towards anything.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
Out of the characters in green, the only character I'd be interested in is Knuckles (on a good day).
I only really spoke up for Pichu because people were immediately dismissing him for lame reasons.
(will not respond to Pichu arguments for the sake of the thread)

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
I think that's okay, though. Ness and Lucas also use moves that they can't actually do (PK Fire/Thunder/Freeze/Starstorm), and those are very specific moves that go well beyond something a character can just kind of do.

Dark samus I have no quarrel with. I wonder if Samus should lose that new beam switch idea and give it to a character that isn't extremely established already.

Don't get me wrong I really think the Ice beam switch on samus is pretty damn cool :cool:, but Ph00tbag gave an argument that I just can't disagree with in another thread.
Oo, I'd love to hear that - do you remember where/what it was?

All the other stuff you said makes lots o' sense, too. 8) Yeah, that green tier is pretty underwhelming.

Maybe it'd make sense for us (like, everyone in the thread) to try and think of more green-tier characters that would be easier for the PMBR to pull off while still being really exciting? Or maybe think of ways that some of the red/orange characters could be pushed up to green? For example, I was surprised to see Shadow in green until I realized that the poster meant a Shadow who played just like Sonic with different properties, haha. So maybe there's a way to do that for other popular characters?

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
so guys can we please have a legitimate discussion about deku link?

I'll start, He could be pretty fast, but also kinda weak. he could use deku nuts, deku sticks, shoot bubbles. maybe he could also have many short hops, and have his flower propellers for an up B. that spin would be a good dash attack.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
- Dark Samus
- Ninten
- Knuckles
- Telda

The one thing that immediately strikes me is that no one on this short list has been wildly popular in this thread, but there are some playstyles I'd be very interested in. Toon Zelda would probably be a blast, I'd love to see what they'd do with Dark Samus, and ofc I'm a Pichu nerd/lover/fanboy/evil that's destroying Project M kinda guy. =) I'm not too sweet on Shadow or Knuckles, just because they'd feel...... weird.... and Ninten (while awesome) kind of has that same problem.

Thoughts?
Tbh I don't like any of those choices, except maybe pichu or ninten but its a stretch.
If that were the list i'd be disappointed, I hope and know that the PMBR can do better than this.

Beckstat

Smash Rookie
The move isn't confirmed to be sky uppercut, but it is in the physical capabilities of Lucario, given his agility and strength.

PK Techno may or may not be in the capabilities of Ninten because it is a fanmade technique. We have no Idea if he could do it and unless someone official confirmed that he could do it then we would not know.

---------------------------------------------
I have another example. Hypothetically, Flareon could use Flare Blitz. He has the power, and ability to cloak himself in flames in the same manner since he can use flame charge. He also had a massive attack stat and that complements Flare Blitz perfectly. It's like the two were made for each other.

However, he couldn't learn it, and no one would even consider him to know this move because no one official gave him a say so. This is because Flare Blitz falls into the category of a special power.

These special powers are "Moves" that cannot be learned by beings unless explicitly stated.

However, an uppercut is something that anyone can do as long as they have the physical capabilities.

This isn't to say that he can't be given the technique regardless. I'm just saying that no one officially knows if this Technique would be possible for Ninten to actually do.

Err, I realized I was just rambling, so don't take this as a point against or towards anything.
Nobody knows if it is possible for Ninten to know offensive PSI, yet people (like myself) still give him those moves like PK Beam and PK Brainshock, because it makes sense. PK Techno is basically Ninten's answer to Ness' PK Rockin and Lucas' PK Love, yes PK Techno is fanmade but it makes more sense for him to have it than not having it.

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I'm thinking of creating a sister thread to this one for creating and suggesting movesets for the Characters mentioned in the OP. It gets mentioned enough as is. And people, (like myself) type up text wall posts for movesets anyways. but i wouldn't wanna make a waste of a thread. You guys think it'd be worth it to seperate the discussion and easily keep track of suggeested movesets instead of looking through the 99 pages worth of discussion this thread has?

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Nobody knows if it is possible for Ninten to know offensive PSI, yet people (like myself) still give him those moves like PK Beam and PK Brainshock, because it makes sense. PK Techno is basically Ninten's answer to Ness' PK Rockin and Lucas' PK Love, yes PK Techno is fanmade but it makes more sense for him to have it than not having it.
Ninten has no offensive PSI?

I know nothing of Earthbound/Mother. I need all the knowledge I can get.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Lucario is a fighting type pokemon, its not Shoryuken, its sky uppercut, its not what ever it is spin kick or whatever, they are representititve of the pokemon games PK Techno dosnt exist
1) Be consistant with your argument.

2) If you read Lucario's overview on the P:M page, you will clearly see that they say his playstyle is based on traditional fighting games. Street Fighter is as traditional as traditional fighters gets. The style they say Lucario uses is Chinese Kenpo. Do your research.

TopTierPichu

Smash Ace
I was playing brawl and in Lucas' trophy description it basically says he is crossing swords with his missing brother Cluas, this dismisses the walking spoiler thing right?

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
Maybe it'd make sense for us (like, everyone in the thread) to try and think of more green-tier characters that would be easier for the PMBR to pull off while still being really exciting? Or maybe think of ways that some of the red/orange characters could be pushed up to green? For example, I was surprised to see Shadow in green until I realized that the poster meant a Shadow who played just like Sonic with different properties, haha. So maybe there's a way to do that for other popular characters?
Okay. So, a green tier character, to me, is one who is very easily cloned and who also doesn't require any (or at least very simple) article tweaking. Everyone cool with that definition?

As for who fits into that category who hasn't already been mentioned very frequently:

Donkey Kong -> Funky Kong (ignoring any moves stemming from his arms dealer/travel agent background)

Captain Falcon -> Blaziken (He could be the Falco to Falcon's Fox)

Spacie -> Peppy (Easy enough I suppose)

Brawl Falco -> Leon Powalski (I don't know, maybe it would work. The animations are still there from Brawl, and, assuming the laser wouldn't need any significant changes, the only issues amount to a few animations and design)

That's what I've got off the top of my head, ignoring the obvious problems people will have with these choices. Are any of these worth discussing? Can anyone think of some more?

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
That makes things even more problematic for Ninten getting in then.

I don't know if the PMBR is attempting to stick to canon for the most part when it comes to moves but I'm sure they stay within the capabilities of the character.

Ninten can't use offensive magic and that would prevent him from getting the same recovery if the PMBR is staying within the capabilities of the character.

I'm getting really iffy about Ninten, but Masked man still has potential.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am sorry if I offended any Masked Man supporters. Just understand that not everyone sees eye-to-eye about the character being a worthy addition.

Personally, I would go with these:
- Two new series additions that are not in Brawl (whether it be Golden Sun, Advance Wars, Panel de Pon, Animal Crossing, Starfy, or Custom Robo, there are plenty of Nintendo franchises out there that need more recognition in Smash Bros. An Advance Wars character would easily be the most feasible if using Snake as a base, and overall is the least likely of all of those series to be granted a playable character in Smash 4).
- A DK newcomer (I am fine with Dixie or K. Rool)
- A Metroid newcomer (Ridley is probably the most iconic and important character from a veteran franchise not yet playable, yet Dark Samus would probably be among the easiest additions)

Shin F.

Smash Master

But that's the thing. There's a difference between borrowing your moves from a team mate like Ness and Lucas do, and getting a new one completely from nowhere. Ninten's answer to PK Rockin and PK Love is 4th-D Slip. It's not an attack, but it is his unique PSI.

Well then.

Guess Ninten's back in action.

The same applies to Lucas. The only abilities that actually belonged to them in the games that they use in Smash were PK Flash and Offense Up. The rest were borrowed from their party members, Paula, Poo and Kumatora.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Problem is both DK characters would be pretty damn hard to make.
The only thing difficult about Dixie Kong is the ponytail. She can easily have DK's specials and Final Smash, and borrow a lot of Diddy's a-moves. Maybe she can be like Roy, in that only a few of her a-moves differ from Diddy and use her ponytail.

For DK's neutral special, she can do the wind-up punch, only with her ponytail instead. :laugh: (her ponytail is canonically incredibly strong, able to lift and hurl barrels).

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Personally, I would go with these:
- Two new series additions that are not in Brawl (whether it be Golden Sun, Advance Wars, Panel de Pon, Animal Crossing, Starfy, or Custom Robo, there are plenty of Nintendo franchises out there that need more recognition in Smash Bros. An Advance Wars character would easily be the most feasible if using Snake as a base, and overall is the least likely of all of those series to be granted a playable character in Smash 4).
- A DK newcomer (I am fine with Dixie or K. Rool)
- A Metroid newcomer (Ridley is probably the most iconic and important character from a veteran franchise not yet playable, yet Dark Samus would probably be among the easiest additions)
Great points right there, i mean its a sin that Metroid only got one character by the time of Brawl (not counting ZSS because its the same char.) so any Metroid newcomer will be welcomed.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
To be fair to the Masked Man, the only Mother character I would put over him would be Porky (antagonist to both Ness and Lucas). However, in general, I am not keen on a Mother newcomer.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
The only thing difficult about Dixie Kong is the ponytail. She can easily have DK's specials and Final Smash, and borrow a lot of Diddy's a-moves. Maybe she can be like Roy, in that only a few of her a-moves differ from Diddy and use her ponytail.

For DK's neutral special, she can do the wind-up punch, only with her ponytail instead. :laugh: (her ponytail is canonically incredibly strong, able to lift and hurl barrels).

I think you're severely underestimating how difficult the ponytail can be, especially since there's nothing like it in the game. The animation for that would be incredibly difficult. Not only do you have just the attacks, it has to move for all of her other animations...

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I think you're severely underestimating how difficult the ponytail can be, especially since there's nothing like it in the game. The animation for that would be incredibly difficult. Not only do you have just the attacks, it has to move for all of her other animations...
hmmmm.... does anybody know how they implemented Mewtwo tail attacks? because i think something similar could be done with Dixies ponytail...

Beckstat

Smash Rookie
That makes things even more problematic for Ninten getting in then.

I don't know if the PMBR is attempting to stick to canon for the most part when it comes to moves but I'm sure they stay within the capabilities of the character.

Ninten can't use offensive magic and that would prevent him from getting the same recovery if the PMBR is staying within the capabilities of the character.

I'm getting really iffy about Ninten, but Masked man still has potential.
Yes Ninten can't use offensive PSI in his game but Ness and Lucas are limited on their moves in their games as well. In Smash Bros, Ness and Lucas use moves that their party members know, the same concept can be given to Ninten and plus Ninten has so much potential and capabilities with PSI abilities learned by Ana such as PK Beam and PK Brainshock, and no PMBR is not attempting to stick to canon since Smash is not canon or stick to the capabilities of the character Claus/Masked Man won't make it since his moves can be too easily cloned from many different characters.

Shin F.

Smash Master
- Dark Samus
- Ninten
- Knuckles
- Telda

Thoughts?
Ninten - I think it's obvious how I feel about this guy, so I won't go into it any more here.
Shadow - No. If there's going to be another Sonic character (unlikely) then it needs to be Tails.
Knuckles - No. If there's going to be another Sonic character (unlikely) then it needs to be Tails.
Pichu - I am conflicted, but in general, I would not complain if he was included.
Telda - No. Tetra, yes - Telda, no. Of the two, Tetra is more interesting and I wouldn't want to use two slots on them.

hmmmm.... does anybody know how they implemented Mewtwo tail attacks? because i think something similar could be done with Dixies ponytail...

I don't know how they did it, but I do remember reading that it was incredibly difficult to do his tail animations.

Yes Ninten can't use offensive PSI in his game but Ness and Lucas are limited on their moves in their games as well. In Smash Bros, Ness and Lucas use moves that their party members know, the same concept can be given to Ninten and plus Ninten has so much potential and capabilities with PSI abilities learned by Ana such as PK Beam and PK Brainshock, and no PMBR is not attempting to stick to canon since Smash is not canon or stick to the capabilities of the character Claus/Masked Man won't make it since his moves can be too easily cloned from many different characters.

You really ought to read to the end of the thread before you post responses. This was already explained to him, and he said that Ninten was back in action.

Beckstat

Smash Rookie
Looks like someone beat me to the punch...just wanted to throw that out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom