• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Of course he could. He is a skull kid.

The real thing we need to worry about is giving him a moveset.

Skull kid is a trickster by nature with a ton of power due to his mask.

Fast and tricky is probably how this character would come out. Weak physical attacks with strong magical properties. I could see his attacks lasting a bit of time but connecting them at specific parts of the attack animation would get the most knockback and power. Whereas hitting with the early or late parts of the attack animation would result in less knockback and power but be better to set up for combos.

Reasoning behind this. The skull kid is inherently weak. The magic from the mask is what makes him powerful. Specific parts of his attacks will have the magic at full power thus more knockback and power.

Stop me if this is starting to sound too impossible.
So he'd be a very precise and timing-based character? That's an interesting idea...
What do you think of his normals being very quick and rapid, but very weak? Kinda like Meta Knight in a way, where his best offense is to keep up constant pressure, and to keep moving constantly.

For his specials, I certainly like the idea of him using his blowgun. Maybe it could stun briefly? That could be his B, and it could set up combo openings and such. For his side-B, he could use his horn or his scream and knock people back or possibly trip them, without doing much damage? It could work kinda like Squirtle's down-B in that it's effective at bringing opponents up short. His up-B should be a teleport like Mewtwo's, that he can act out of, and additionally he should definitely have a hover like Mewtwo's. For his down-B he could do the lantern thing, or perhaps he can have a reflector of some sort? I can imagine him slamming his hand to the ground and conjuring a force field or something from the power of the mask...I'd love to hear a better idea though, since I just kind of made that up.

And of course for his taunts he needs to laugh. He could also do his butt-shaking taunt he aims at the observatory when you look at him, and possibly one of the taunts could be playing a few notes on the ocarina? And no question, his Final Smash has to be bringing the moon down onto the stage.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
well, the only thing that I'd REALLY like from skull kid would be the moon as a final smash.

besides, the only one from majora's mask I want is

Fortress

Smash Master
Hey, Anti_dude, if you're keeping up, then I'm sure it's clear that Skull Kid has had some mostly positive support in his favor. Throw him on the list, and give him a vote from me.

Also, give Black Turd a downvote from me. If it's not clear as to why by this point, then you must've been in a coma until this post.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Of course he could. He is a skull kid.

The real thing we need to worry about is giving him a moveset.

Skull kid is a trickster by nature with a ton of power due to his mask.

Fast and tricky is probably how this character would come out. Weak physical attacks with strong magical properties. I could see his attacks lasting a bit of time but connecting them at specific parts of the attack animation would get the most knockback and power. Whereas hitting with the early or late parts of the attack animation would result in less knockback and power but be better to set up for combos.

Reasoning behind this. The skull kid is inherently weak. The magic from the mask is what makes him powerful. Specific parts of his attacks will have the magic at full power thus more knockback and power.

Stop me if this is starting to sound too impossible.

Sounds reasonable. Skull Kid is physically small and thin, so it makes sense that he would be physically weak, and the mask's magical power is clear.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
skull kid, tetra and :pt: should all be in the OP but anti guy probably isn't going to put in any. well, probably.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
I really like Cofagrigus. I'm also a fan of Froslass. I don't like Nosepass. Probopass is way better. This is all I can think of but I wanna see what gets censored.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I really like Co***rigus. I'm also a fan of Froslass. I don't like Nosepass. Probopass is way better. This is all I can think of but I wanna see what gets censored.
really the bleep *** in the middle of a sentence but not ass? that's really stupid.

EDIT: aaaannnd I just realized nobody could know what those words are.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Hey, I'm gonna update my votes now. Changes in bold. I'm not rewriting my reasoning for my downvotes; you can find my original votes here.

+1:
Ridley
Paper Mario
Tom Nook
Skull Kid

+1/2:
Masked Man
Isaac
Dixie Kong
Tetra

-1:
Waluigi
Krystal

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Y'know what? I think I only used three votes (I had 5 right?)

Full vote:

Skull Kid
Claus/Masked Man

I'm WAY on board with the Majora's Mask (Primarily) Skull Kid idea. It'd be a really great addition to the roster, and since he has almost no chance of being in Smash 4, it's certainly a safe bet. That said, I'd prefer others before him (K. Rool chief among them) but if they don't compete (I'm not sure why they would) I'm down for some Majora's Mask terrifying goodness.

With some inspiration from TP. I don't see what Skull Kids in Ocarina would have that Majora's Mask Skull Kid wouldn't.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
hey, arent you going to at least put in a half vote for tetra? it seemed you liked that idea a little, if I remember correctly.

EDIT: Hero, not Banjo.

Fortress

Smash Master
For his specials, I certainly like the idea of him using his blowgun. Maybe it could stun briefly? That could be his B, and it could set up combo openings and such.
Some might complain that this is 'too 'Snake'', and that too many characters have stun/sleep properties, where it used to be an exclusively-Jigs thing. I feel like the compromise, the move should have high hitstun, and have a flurry-charge, or have no hitstun, and rapid-fire, emulating either Sheik or Fox.

For his side-B, he could use his horn or his scream and knock people back or possibly trip them, without doing much damage?
The horn should just trip people, like Diddy's bananas, allowing S. Kid to get a quick tilt in to lift the opponent off of the ground. The horn would be chargeable, with a charge only shortly increasing the range of the blast.

His up-B should be a teleport like Mewtwo's, that he can act out of, and additionally he should definitely have a hover like Mewtwo's.
I feel like both of those things should be Mewtwo's thing, and that a wind-based tornado-like recovery would be more up Skull Kid's alley.

For his down-B he could do the lantern thing, or perhaps he can have a reflector of some sort? I can imagine him slamming his hand to the ground and conjuring a force field or something from the power of the mask...I'd love to hear a better idea though, since I just kind of made that up.
We have a ton of cast members with reflectors, what else can be done that could bring something unique to Skull Kid? His torch isn't at all a bad idea, being able to leave a large hitbox on the ground similar to Tinks that he could hold people over and roast into submission is totally up his dark alley. Think about that one.

And of course for his taunts he needs to laugh. He could also do his butt-shaking taunt he aims at the observatory when you look at him, and possibly one of the taunts could be playing a few notes on the ocarina? And no question, his Final Smash has to be bringing the moon down onto the stage.
Both of those are perfect, well, save for the Ocarina. He should just play a short bit of Saria's Song. That, or have these:

-Butt shake
-Laugh
-Raise arms, hover slightly, and scream like he does when he summons the moon

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
That's the same Skull Kid from Ocarina, brah. Who, coincidentally, didn't actually do any fighting himself in that particular title. Skull Kid's moveset could be drawn from the Ocarina/Twili one(s).
I've always questioned that.

In Ocarina of time, there are more than one skull kid. So I highly doubt that this is one of the same skull kids that link (optionally) befriended.

Let us consider a little more. When the skull kid found the two fairies they were shown to be in Termina already. He told the two fairies that he had been fighting with his friends and those friends abandoned him. These friends were the 4 giants if my memory serves me correct. Those were beings of that parallel world.

This does infact mean that this skull kid probably originated from Termina and came to Hyrule through the lost woods. (My own theory is that the lost woods is one of the ways to get into Termina and vice versa.)

He stole Majora's mask, a Mask I assume originated from an ancient tribe in Hyrule or even some other place; from the happy mask salesman who was traveling in Lost woods. Shortly after, he then encountered Link in the Lost woods and fled to Termina where Link chased him.

/theory.

But I'm positive that the ocarina of time skull kids have no relation to the skull kid from Majora's mask other than sharing the state of being a skull kid.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
don't remeber what my other votes are, but sure.

+1 Skull kid
+1/2 Skull kid
-1 Skull kid

(it all adds up ti +1/2 Skull kid)

Fortress

Smash Master
But I'm positive that the ocarina of time skull kids have no relation to the skull kid from Majora's mask other than sharing the state of being a skull kid.
Skull Kid flat out says "you're that fairy kid from the forest, aren't you?", implying indicating that it's the one that you gave the Skull Mask to back in Ocarina. The Skull Kid in Ocarina wanted something spooky and terrifying to wear, so, it's pretty easy to see how the same appeal from the Majora's Mask was the same as the Skull Mask (plus, you know, the Mask's power drawing him and all that).

As for theories, it's been accepted pretty commonly that the Skull Kid in Majora's Mask travels back and forth between Hyrule and Termina, as most stories place Skull Kid in the company of the Four Giants and imply it'd been that way for a while.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
I've always questioned that.

In Ocarina of time, there are more than one skull kid. So I highly doubt that this is one of the same skull kids that link (optionally) befriended.

Let us consider a little more. When the skull kid found the two fairies they were shown to be in Termina already. He told the two fairies that he had been fighting with his friends and those friends abandoned him. These friends were the 4 giants if my memory serves me correct. Those were beings of that parallel world.

This does infact mean that this skull kid probably originated from Termina and came to Hyrule through the lost woods. (My own theory is that the lost woods is one of the ways to get into Termina and vice versa.)

He stole Majora's mask, a Mask I assume originated from an ancient tribe in Hyrule or even some other place; from the happy mask salesman who was traveling in Lost woods. He then encountered Link in the Lost woods and fled to Termina where Link chased him.

/theory.

(Off-Topic) I theorize that the Mask Salesmen was the being who sealed Majora in Majora`s Mask. Think about it, why would someone willingly walk around with the mask of a great deity who can possess those who wear it?

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
(Off-Topic) I theorize that the Mask Salesmen was the being who sealed Majora in Majora`s Mask. Think about it, why would someone willingly walk around with the mask of a great deity who can possess those who wear it?
because he's a mask collector. and it's a VERY rare mask.

Fortress

Smash Master
don't they first meet in a forest in MM anyways?
They do, yeah, but why would Skull Kid say "hey, you're that kid from the Forest that I met only three days ago". I mean, the dude smells Link and gathers that much from him. But, yeah, they meet in a forest. Well, twice.

The Salesman gives the backstory of the mask as belonging to an ancient tribe, and that they sealed it up. I mean, the game itself points that out.

Did anybody play this game besides me? Really, this is one of my favorite titles of all time, not to mention my favorite LoZ title.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Some might complain that this is 'too 'Snake'', and that too many characters have stun/sleep properties, where it used to be an exclusively-Jigs thing. I feel like the compromise, the move should have high hitstun, and have a flurry-charge, or have no hitstun, and rapid-fire, emulating either Sheik or Fox.
Acceptable compromise. It'd be better as a Fox thing than a Sheik thing, because loading a blowpipe with multiple darts makes no sense.

The horn should just trip people, like Diddy's bananas, allowing S. Kid to get a quick tilt in to lift the opponent off of the ground. The horn would be chargeable, with a charge only shortly increasing the range of the blast.
Is this a stored charge like Samus or a charge-then-release like a smash?

I feel like both of those things should be Mewtwo's thing, and that a wind-based tornado-like recovery would be more up Skull Kid's alley.
He should have the teleport somewhere in his moveset, if only because he can literally fade out of sight. The hover is debatable.

We have a ton of cast members with reflectors, what else can be done that could bring something unique to Skull Kid? His torch isn't at all a bad idea, being able to leave a large hitbox on the ground similar to Tinks that he could hold people over and roast into submission is totally up his dark alley. Think about that one.
Yeah, that's pretty dark. How long would this hitbox last?

Both of those are perfect, well, save for the Ocarina. He should just play a short bit of Saria's Song. That, or have these:

-Butt shake
-Laugh
-Raise arms, hover slightly, and scream like he does when he summons the moon
Saria's Song works. I don't think the last one would though; we should save it for his Final Smash.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
trapping ancient powers? summoning organs at will? seems like something that will work in smash.

Happy mask salesman for Project M

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
They do, yeah, but why would Skull Kid say "hey, you're that kid from the Forest that I met only three days ago". I mean, the dude smells Link and gathers that much from him. But, yeah, they meet in a forest. Well, twice.

The Salesman gives the backstory of the mask as belonging to an ancient tribe, and that they sealed it up. I mean, the game itself points that out.

Did anybody play this game besides me? Really, this is one of my favorite titles of all time, not to mention my favorite LoZ title.
What says thr Happy Mask Salesmen isn`t the ghost of that ancient tribe? it would explain how he magically disappears after the resealing of Majora?

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
What says thr Happy Mask Salesmen isn`t the ghost of that ancient tribe? it would explain how he magically disappears after the resealing of Majora?
SPOILERS jeez some haven't finished playing yet.

I already knew that though so what the heck am I talking about?

Fortress

Smash Master
Acceptable compromise. It'd be better as a Fox thing than a Sheik thing, because loading a blowpipe with multiple darts makes no sense.

He does it in Ocarina, is where I draw my reasoning for that. The Skull Kids blow a volley of three at you while they fight you. Scared the Hell out of me the first time it happened.

Is this a stored charge like Samus or a charge-then-release like a smash?
Stored like Samus is how I imagined it, or more accurately, like Sheik's.

He should have the teleport somewhere in his moveset, if only because he can literally fade out of sight. The hover is debatable.
For my original moveset, F-Smash was slated to be the teleport 'attack', in which it's a Lucario-esque teleport, or, a vanishing backflip more akin to the games.

Yeah, that's pretty dark. How long would this hitbox last?
Probably the same length as PK Fire (assuming PK fire connects). The move would be easy to DI out of, of course, so you can't just bust them out one after another and trap somebody, but if you grab somebody and hold them over the flame, then you get Skull Kid standing there, roasting you over a fire, staring at you with that mask. ****ing metal.

Saria's Song works. I don't think the last one would though; we should save it for his Final Smash.
I guess, but I love the scream, personally.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
It's clear that he has weird powers, but I think this one is a stretch...

What if he floated in the air while laying back for a second with a short laugh, like the pose he did when he changed Link into Deku Link?
That is an awesome idea!

Fortress

Smash Master
He can travel between the two dimensions, just like Link, Skull Kid, and pretty much anybody else can. He's just an ordinary dude, just like in Ocarina, albeit a little creepy.

What if he floated in the air while laying back for a second with a short laugh, like the pose he did when he changed Link into Deku Link?
I'd love that. It's perfect.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Skull Kid flat out says "you're that fairy kid from the forest, aren't you?", implying indicating that it's the one that you gave the Skull Mask to back in Ocarina. The Skull Kid in Ocarina wanted something spooky and terrifying to wear, so, it's pretty easy to see how the same appeal from the Majora's Mask was the same as the Skull Mask (plus, you know, the Mask's power drawing him and all that).

As for theories, it's been accepted pretty commonly that the Skull Kid in Majora's Mask travels back and forth between Hyrule and Termina, as most stories place Skull Kid in the company of the Four Giants and imply it'd been that way for a while.
Damn heavy implications. I can't believe I forgot that part. WELP LOOKS LIKE I GOTTA MAKE MY MAJORA'S MASK PLAYTHROUGHS TWICE A YEAR NOW.

He says you have the same smell as the fairy kid that taught him the song. I can give that grounds that it might of been link, but what if Saria taught him the song? :smirk:

I can also counter my own argument and say that it has been quite some time since the events of Ocarina of time. This is why Link can use the Hookshot, a Bow, the Hylian Shield, and ride Epona now. So it is likely that the skull kid might of forgot who he was.

Oh I also forgot to add that powerful swords sometimes have near unbreakable blades. However, the hilts that hold the blades are liable to be damaged. Considering that the Kokiri's sword handle had changed we can assume that it got damaged enough to need to remake the handle.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
He does it in Ocarina, is where I draw my reasoning for that. The Skull Kids blow a volley of three at you while they fight you. Scared the Hell out of me the first time it happened.
Damn, you're right. I forgot about that! All right, I could get behind that. Doesn't it also pierce your shield? I only fought them once, a long time ago, but I think I remember ineffectually guarding.

Stored like Samus is how I imagined it, or more accurately, like Sheik's.

For my original moveset, F-Smash was slated to be the teleport 'attack', in which it's a Lucario-esque teleport, or, a vanishing backflip more akin to the games.
Hmmm. What if the teleport was his side-B and the horn (or a scream) was his forward smash? It could work differently and do some knockback, or it could be exactly the same and trip, setting them up for a down smash or something. Kinda like ZSS's down smash.

Probably the same length as PK Fire (assuming PK fire connects). The move would be easy to DI out of, of course, so you can't just bust them out one after another and trap somebody, but if you grab somebody and hold them over the flame, then you get Skull Kid standing there, roasting you over a fire, staring at you with that mask. ****ing metal.
And does he just drop the fire in front of him, or what? Sorry, I must have skimmed your post in the first place, 'cause I'm a little unclear.

I guess, but I love the scream, personally.
It is an awesome scream.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
He can travel between the two dimensions, just like Link, Skull Kid, and pretty much anybody else can. He's just an ordinary dude, just like in Ocarina, albeit a little creepy.

I'd love that. It's perfect.
But people travel between the dimentions through the (kokiri?) forest, not the middle of nowhere. Also, he can summon organs out of nowhere and teach little boys how to seal dead spirits into masks that he can wear to trick other people into doing what he wants.

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
I'm definitely liking the ideas for Skull Kid, but how many powers would reflect the Mask's? It has some weird stuff he could use as well, like that heat ray/fire beam it uses in the final battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom