• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
Honestly, if they fused pikachu and pichu as well as they did with Mario and doc, I'd think the pichu players would be happy. I have been a Doctor Mario main since melee and I love what they did with Mario. I cannot think of a better compromise for him. The official costume and effects make it even better. So give Pikachu some Pichu stuff, even if it is just a taunt, sleeping animation, or costume. Also, still would like an project m level young link on toon link texture. XD

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
Uh, yeah. Bull****.

When people say they don't see what a certain thing brings to the table, it's always in response to people bringing up that thing first.

Don't try to play the "victim" here. It's silly.

Keep telling yourself that, bro. Anyone who's paid any attention to the thread will know that the pattern is as follows

*Someone bashes Pichu
*Pichu defenders defend Pichu
*Anti Pichu people get tired and try to change subject
*Somone bashes Pichu and the cycle repeats itself

Honestly, if they fused pikachu and pichu as well as they did with Mario and doc, I'd think the pichu players would be happy. I have been a Doctor Mario main since melee and I love what they did with Mario. I cannot think of a better compromise for him. The official costume and effects make it even better. So give Pikachu some Pichu stuff, even if it is just a taunt, sleeping animation, or costume. Also, still would like an project m level young link on toon link texture. XD

Not a terrible idea until you said this. I hate how Pikachu plays and feel Pichu is much more natural for my play style. I'd never touch the guy unless he actually had some of Pichu's attacks. I'd still, of course, prefer Pichu since I do believe he'd add a lot to the meta, but if it came down to it I'd accept that as a compromise. Not until I absolutely had to, though.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Keep telling yourself that, bro. Anyone who's paid any attention to the thread will know that the pattern is as follows

*Someone bashes Pichu
*Somone bashes Pichu and the cycle repeats itself.
You're definitely trying too hard to make Pichu supporters sound like the victims here. You also sound like you're only talking about one thread when I'm referring to several.

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman

*Someone bashes Pichu
*Somone bashes Pichu and the cycle repeats itself

Not a terrible idea until you said this. I hate how Pikachu plays and feel Pichu is much more natural for my play style. I'd never touch the guy unless he actually had some of Pichu's attacks. I'd still, of course, prefer Pichu since I do believe he'd add a lot to the meta, but if it came down to it I'd accept that as a compromise. Not until I absolutely had to, though.
I'm not stupid

ok, I'm leaving now, take care everybody =D

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Someone mentioned the idea of Kat & Ana with Ice Climbers as base, an idea I think could be cool.
How I Imagine them:
They would be lighter, faster and have more traction. Unlike IC they would not specialize in grabbing, Instead would focus on doing a lots of weak, fast attacks. Instead of Blizzard I think they could shoot pink cherry blossoms in a similar way, but instead of freezing it could give flower (with short duration). For another special they could throw shurikens.
they can charge their sword with electricity which could easily work as a smash attack. Most attacks would likely be different slashes. Other thing they could do based on warioware is summon duplicates, use kunais, and summon a big sword like the one seen in this picture.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
If you can't take the heat don't start a fire, bro. What exactly were you expecting to happen? Making a thread for Pichu would start a precedent for other threads of similar nature and the next thing you know the entire board would be flooded with them. Obviously the PMBR doesn't want that. And seriously? A kids table? How professional.

Lighten up and learn to take a joke.

That sure is a funny way of spelling Ashley.

I've always been wondering this, but what's so special about Ashley? She wasn't even in the original Wario Ware, but apparently she's really popular in Japan.

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman

I've always been wondering this, but what's so special about Ashley? She wasn't even in the original Wario Ware, but apparently she's really popular in Japan.
Those Anime/Hentai fans, my big wise tomato

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Ashley as a character is just like Tharja from Awakening, except in lighter form. Very cryptic and (tries to be) spooky but seems to be an early version of the now-popular "creepy yandere girl" (even if she's not one but the articles say she wishes she had more friends and so on...). And a loli, which leads to quite a lot of art depicting her as "endearing-like" or "cute".

Yeah.

D

Deleted member

I like her design and personality. Like this pessimistic child. Who doesn't like misanthropic pessimists? Look at Nico Robin in OP for example. The sarcastic, cynical remarks are priceless. Not to mention it's a character with SOME personality, which is quite rare for Nintendo.

Same reason many took a liking to SS Zelda.

Ashley's personality is rather unique and unexplored in Japanese media as well, a place that's filled to the brim with tired cliches and tropes. On the surface, she's this cute, infantile little witch, who's clutzy but tries hard to act serious, but beneath that, there's this creepier more sadistic side to her, sure, it's mostly headcanon, but it's still interesting. I was introduced ro her character through Nintendo Power, where they mentioned that if you play her theme backwards, you can make out something about sending children's souls to hell or something.

There's also the fact that many fans see potential in her because of her abilities. Not only as a character for Smash, but many want her to branch out from WW and become her own IP. Like a rebirth of the SHMUP, Nintendo's Touhou if you will, and if you know anything about Touhou is that it's HUGE in Japan. There's actually a lot of parallels between Ash and Youhou tbh. And well, it seems devs took note of this and payed it a nod in her most recent minigame. In fact, much like Lyn in FE, Ashely is starting to get a unique spotlight in games because of her popularity.

And well, yeah, there's the pervs, but those exist for every character. It's only creepier whenthe character is a young girl. However, considering there are other loli in WW, I wouldn't be so quick to say most Ashley are pervs, because... Why Ashley then?

So yeah...

Anyway, I still say you should add her to the OP, she has a sizeable fanbase on SWF, and deserves more love. As does WW.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Ashley's personality is rather unique and unexplored in Japanese media as well, a place that's filled to the brim with tired cliches and tropes. On the surface, she's this cute, infantile little witch, who's clutzy but tries hard to act serious, but beneath that, there's this creepier more sadistic side to her
I and many other people can bring up a loooooong list of characters from Japanese media who are very much like that, exactly the same or worse. If yous seriously thing that character type is unexplored in Japanese media, you haven't watched enough nearly anime, read enough manga or light novels, and especially haven't watched enough of their live dramas.

But that nitpick aside, yeah. Ashley's the coolest girl you'll ever meet. Her theme is in the game for a reason. (In two languages even.)

D

Deleted member

I'm
I and many other people can bring up a loooooong list of characters from Japanese media who are very much like that, exactly the same or worse. If yous seriously thing that character type is unexplored in Japanese media, you haven't watched enough nearly anime, read enough manga or light novels, and especially haven't watched enough of their live dramas.

But that nitpick aside, yeah. Ashley's the coolest girl you'll ever meet. Her theme is in the game for a reason. (In two languages even.)
I'm sure there are a few... But I can't think of any. Perhaps I simply haven't watched enough Chinese cartoons.

D

Deleted member

**** you Yuii, you loveble bear-lion Pokemon thing.

That one hit me right in the feels.

Anyway, just out of curiousity What impossible character would you like to see?
I am sorry for offending you, and I do like the style you've laid out for Lyn, but I'm just calling it as I see it. :/

As for the impossible character I'd like to see, it would have to be *incoming laughable idea* Leomon. Just because he's one of my favorite Digimon.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
Think Ashley could work as a quicker Zelda clone with a unique Bv? They could return her old Din's Fire but give it a different element, Nayru's Love could be, like, books spinning around her or something, and she could do other stuff. Maybe hammer space a broomstick for a recovery or something. I dunno, just throwing ideas and seeing what sticks right now.

Malion

Smash Ace
Back to Tetra. I like the grappling hook as well as the Sail/Leaf for a recovery.

What I think people are forgetting about the grappling hook though, on the ground it has a little different use than most items. In Wind Waker if used on an enemy it will steal from them, be it a Spoil, or a rupee or a heart.

Now I don't know if this is possible at all and it might be entirely broken but I think it would be cool if this move could be used to snatch items from your opponent.

Her having Light Arrows like Zelda does make some sense and would differentiate her a bit from Link... though I'm not sure exactly a light arrow would do in a Smash environment. In the game it's a one shot kill item but I don't think it would work here. Also Bomb Arrows would be cool.

Tetra actually does have some voice acting, but it's all Japanese... from the game Tetra's Trackers... I've never played it but I'm sure enough noises would be extractable. Not entirely sure but it's worth a go.

Shin F.

Smash Master
@ The conversation about a Wario rep, I like the idea of both Kat & Ana being Ice Climber clones and of using Ashley as a Zelda clone.

Back to Tetra. I like the grappling hook as well as the Sail/Leaf for a recovery.

What I think people are forgetting about the grappling hook though, on the ground it has a little different use than most items. In Wind Waker if used on an enemy it will steal from them, be it a Spoil, or a rupee or a heart.

Now I don't know if this is possible at all and it might be entirely broken but I think it would be cool if this move could be used to snatch items from your opponent.

Her having Light Arrows like Zelda does make some sense and would differentiate her a bit from Link... though I'm not sure exactly a light arrow would do in a Smash environment. In the game it's a one shot kill item but I don't think it would work here. Also Bomb Arrows would be cool.

Tetra actually does have some voice acting, but it's all Japanese... from the game Tetra's Trackers... I've never played it but I'm sure enough noises would be extractable. Not entirely sure but it's worth a go.

Tetra's Trackers is all Japanese, though, right? Hmm.

I think it would be too much of a juxtaposition to have Tetra with normal, weak Light Arrows but then Zelda and Sheik with powerful, FS light arrows - but giving her bomb arrows, that I could see. Either bomb arrows or a bomb launcher of some kind.

The thing with item snatching is interesting, but I'm not sure if that's possible.

Malion

Smash Ace
Yes tetra's trackers is japanese, but she doesn't need to talk, we just need her making noises. Like, Ha, and ya!

D

Deleted member

I thought Anime originated in Japan.

EDIT: Anime and Manga are over saturated with Ashley type characters

Also, any examples? I can't think of any...

I am sorry for offending you, and I do like the style you've laid out for Lyn, but I'm just calling it as I see it. :/

As for the impossible character I'd like to see, it would have to be *incoming laughable idea* Leomon. Just because he's one of my favorite Digimon.
Nah, you didn't offend me, I was just making a funny.

Also, I've always liked Beelzemon, I liked the bad-dude attitude, and the guns.

Think Ashley could work as a quicker Zelda clone with a unique Bv? They could return her old Din's Fire but give it a different element, Nayru's Love could be, like, books spinning around her or something, and she could do other stuff. Maybe hammer space a broomstick for a recovery or something. I dunno, just throwing ideas and seeing what sticks right now.

Ash doesn't have any of those abilities. She does have a small friend who can transform into her wand, as well as a broom and stuff. I've always pictured her playing a bit like:

I agree on the broom though, I posted a moveset for Ash ITT.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
Ashley is depicted as being a trope inspired witch, it's not unreasonable to assume that she's be able to shoot some sort of projectile. And she's been shown reading tombs and the like, using them as a graphic for her shield move would be logical as well as a nice nod to Castlevania.

(Also how are those videos even close to Ashley in the Warioware games? My moveset may not have been perfect but it was a lot closer than that.....thing).

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I recall when I came up with a moveset for Crono back in the Brawl days, and I had him use Lightning in a sort of Zelda+Pikachu fashion.
(Crono would let out a sparkle of light forward (DIN'S FIRE), and once triggered, instead of causing a fiery explosion, it calls forth Pikachu's Thunderbolt (Down+B))

Would this work for Ashely should she happen to be a Zelda clone?

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Ooooo, I like that! Yeah, that makes way more sense. Do you think there's a way they could make it her Side-B, and then as it's going out she can kind of aim it a bit? So imagine Zamus's Up-Smash, and when it starts coming out she can push it to the right or the left and change the angle? Maybe not all the way around, but like a 45 degree range or something? I dunno if that makes sense/is feasible, but it might make it a pretty cool special
So it'd be kinda like the Gale Boomerang, aiming it up and down? Hmmm, maybe.
Honestly, though, I prefer the idea of it being her up-B and having the Deku Leaf as her side-B, for the air blast as well as the glide. The only question then is what it would on the ground. Maybe she could just aim it up and there could be a sweetspot on the hook or something?

Haha, maybe she could have a hand-cannon or something that launches them out. It could have some crazy trajectory things going on, like Yoshi's egg.

I totally agree that the Deku Leaf would be awesome. It was one of my favorite new items in WW, and I was actually really sad when TL didn't get that in Brawl. So it'd be sick if Tetra got one! Maybe it could do both of the things you mentioned if it's just her B - use it in the air and wind blows you up, use it on the ground and you swing it around. Then Up-B could be her tether recovery and she's got a pretty interesting thing going on.
Yeah. All right, I'm envisioning side-B as the Deku Leaf, up-B as the grappling hook, and down-B as a bomb of some sort. Maybe her bombs could be more powerful but have a shorter fuse, or go less far when she throws them? It'd make her spacing very important. Alternatively, if she just dropped a bomb with down-B instead of pulling one out, and they went off after a certain amount of time, that could also help her control the space a bit.

I don't see this as feasible, really, or even that worth it, considering most of the time people who play P:M play with items off...the only thing I can really imagine is if it steals a "heart" from someone when you sweetspot it and you gain a little life back?

Maybe the light arrows could have a sweetspot where they're really powerful? I don't know how well that would really work on an arrow. But the way I'm envisioning Tetra now, as we talk about her, is a kind of precision-based character. In the game she's very agile and very sneaky, so perhaps that can come across in the way she fights.

Alternatively we can turn to the other type of arrow used in Wind Waker, the ice arrows.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Saki Amamiya... Who could be the better source character, ZSS or Pit?

I think Pit is perfect for Saki. The bullets that Saki fires look like yellow arrows.
Then B neutral could be set to fire rapidly, and set flinch properties to nothing.
Side B could be Pit's OLD side+B except instead of cycling endlessly, it's just ONE slash down.
Down B could be something along the lines of ZSS's Down+B, it doesn't have an article so I think it's doable.
And Up+B.. I think something like ROB's old Up+B except shorter would suffice.

Then obviously take off the multi-jump feature. The glide feature. Maybe give him a crawl to make up for the lack of multi jumps (if that makes any sense).

His Sword-cannon attacks (sword mode) should be longer than Pit's, but a bit slower.

And I think that's it for Saki. A pretty "simple" Pit clone that doesn't multi-jump. Is ZSS-like agile, but his sword attacks are slower than Pit's. And his gun that doesn't flinch opponents could make him an interesting character (considering he's still able to aim to the sides as well as up, like Pit).

Final Smash.. if it can be altered somehow... Achi could appear in the background, and instead of the battle-angels of doom, some form of Ruffians would be sent down to take down opponents.

_Liquid_

Smash Cadet
Pichu hurts himself every time he does an electrical attack. The risk/reward for using Pichu's best moves is higher than any other character since every move he makes brings him closer to death. Project M seems like the perfect setting to experiment with a character like that.

There's no other character who damages themselves with half their moves. Pichu is uniquely compelling for that reason. He certainly brings more to the table than Roy.

You're saying two different things here, however, from playing Pichu in Melee I think I understand what you're trying to say.

I'm not disagreeing that a character that damages themselves would be a unique concept, I'm saying that's all Pichu has going for him in terms of being a worthy addition. I feel like he's far too similar to Pikachu, and there's little room for PMBR to differentiate the two. If the PMBR adds Pichu and he somehow plays significantly different than Pikachu, I'll be happy. But I don't think they'll be able to make him unique enough to be a worthy addition.

D

Deleted member

Nah, you didn't offend me, I was just making a funny.

Also, I've always liked Beelzemon, I liked the bad-dude attitude, and the guns.
One would think I would hate Beelzemon since he killed Leomon for no reason, but it's hard not to like that bugger.
He was that underdog that talked a big game until he stopped being all talk. Then became a badass atoner of sins.

It also helps that he was a badass biker. Typically those kind of characters are too awesome to despise, even if they're some of the worst scum in the universe (Lobo).

Fortress

Smash Master
...You think that sounded manly?

Ugh...Nerds on the internet, I swear. Where moderately masculine guy apparently looks exactly like a girl and a woman with a mature, adult voice apparently sounds like a man.
There's the mature-sounding voice of Zero Suit Samus (read as: not animu kawaii desu random nya nya high school voice typical of the video game heroine), and then there's Macho Man Randy Savage who voiced Lyn.

WHATCHA GONNA DO BANDIT WHEN THE LORCA LORD RUN CRITICAL HIT ON YOU?
10/10, would heartily laugh again.

Can we just do this? I'm no longer opposed to giving Lyn a pro wrestler's voice if we get these killer one-liners and catchphrases.

D

Deleted member

Ashley is depicted as being a trope inspired witch, it's not unreasonable to assume that she's be able to shoot some sort of projectile. And she's been shown reading tombs and the like, using them as a graphic for her shield move would be logical as well as a nice nod to Castlevania.

(Also how are those videos even close to Ashley in the Warioware games? My moveset may not have been perfect but it was a lot closer than that.....thing).

I like the Blazblue series, I think ArcSys are the best in the industry when it comes to fighters, they're concepts are really unique.

The parallel b/w Ash and Rachael is that both use their 'minions' to fight. Ash just has the added benefit of being able to transform her 'minion' (Red) into a weapon she can use (her staff). Likewise, the wind mechanics for Rachael give a good impression of how Ashley's Broom could work, more or less. Then ofc, come the combos. Obviously though, Ash would have more lightning themed balls of energy as projectiles. However, she's a witch, so she could also cast runes, and cast debilitating spells on her foes. Stuff that hinder them such as making them take more knockback, or slowing them down for a bit. Rachael doesn't have these abilities btw...

I dislike the idea of just making Ashley a Zelda clone as it doesn't do her character ANY justice. Not to mention a Witch and a Mage are total opposite ends of the magical spectrum. Honestly, PSY users are more similar to what a mage is. In addition, Din's Fire, and Nayru's Love like attacks are nowhere to be seen in the WW canon for Ashley, that was my biggest beef.

I wasn't saying your moveset was bad, I was simply voicing what I felt was ideal. If you wanna get more support for your movesets though I recommend you think outside the box a little... Stop thinking in terms of clones, and draw reference from outside Smash.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
I wasn't saying your moveset was bad, I was simply voicing what I felt was ideal. If you wanna get more support for your movesets though I recommend you think outside the box a little... Stop thinking in terms of clones, and draw reference from outside Smash.

That's the wrong advice for this thread. The whole point is to present a character that's easy for the PMBR to do and also within their limitations. You can let your mind go free and think of all kinds of moves, but you're not doing yourself or anyone in this thread any justice.

If anything, I'd liken this to engineering. You have to work within a set of constraints. This is not wild brainstorming. That won't help anyone. This is why I don't even encourage movesets on this thread because they're mostly pointless. What's more important is the general idea of the character and at most what their specials can be within the limits of this mod.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
That's the wrong advice for this thread. The whole point is to present a character that's easy for the PMBR to do and also within their limitations. You can let your mind go free and think of all kinds of moves, but you're not doing yourself or anyone in this thread any justice.

If anything, I'd liken this to engineering. You have to work within a set of constraints. This is not wild brainstorming. That won't help anyone. This is why I don't even encourage movesets on this thread because they're mostly pointless. What's more important is the general idea of the character and at most what their specials can be within the limits of this mod.

This is literally exactly what I was going to say in response. Thanks for saving me the time :p

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal

I actually suggested Primid for this very reason. He already has unique animations, but clearly takes after many characters. It wouldn't be hard to find a character who has all the essential tools for which he can be cloned from.

Also while I'm on the topic, doesn't anyone find Pramai to be oddly named like the subspace enemies? Pramai = Primid? I mean with how things turned out with Subspace Emissary, I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai actually considered Primid to be playable or part of Multi-Man Brawl.

Fortress

Smash Master
I actually suggested Primid for this very reason. He already has unique animations, but clearly takes after many characters. It wouldn't be hard to find a character who has all the essential tools for which he can be cloned from.
I suggested and belted out a moveset and general physics for Primid somewhere in here and instantly got shot down in favor of outlandish characters that would take too much to make work like anything from Custom Robo, or completely tearing down G-Dorf, only to be told by Anti Guy a few posts ago that now we're not looking for anything too imaginative or outlandish. I'm really confused as to what we're allowed to suggest or talk about. I guess if it's not a ~1:1 copy, it's 'too hard'. I mean, now we're being told that movesets don't matter in this thread, and we should think mostly in terms of specials, which doesn't make sense to me. If we throw out a moveset and liken each move to another character's move, doesn't that only help to explain as to why that character should be used as a base for a clone?

Well, maybe not instantly shot down, but that discussion died without so much as a fight.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
I suggested and belted out a moveset and general physics for Primid somewhere in here and instantly got shot down in favor of outlandish characters that would take too much to make work like anything from Custom Robo, or completely tearing down G-Dorf, only to be told by Anti Guy a few posts ago that now we're not looking for anything too imaginative or outlandish. I'm really confused as to what we're allowed to suggest or talk about. I guess if it's not a ~1:1 copy, it's 'too hard'. I mean, now we're being told that movesets don't matter in this thread, and we should think mostly in terms of specials, which doesn't make sense to me. If we throw out a moveset and liken each move to another character's move, doesn't that only help to explain as to why that character should be used as a base for a clone?

Well, maybe not instantly shot down, but that discussion died without so much as a fight.
This thread is going to die if this keeps up. It`s like yu-gi-oh, the rules change every 5 seconds.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I know. I'm just going off-topic again.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal

Continue suggesting until it snags someone's interest. I mean Primid has maybe one, if not no, air attacks. Lucas' Dair, Sonic's Fair, Pikachu/Pichu's Bair are all moves that would fit him. It isn't much of a stretch to make him the character who inherits scrapped moves.

As for his character, it wouldn't be hard to give him a reasonable excuse to be playable. Give him a spruce up, name it Pramai, give it a story and you have a cool character right there. Heck, it would even make sense for sequelizing the Subspace Emissary, while giving P:M a unique character. I could imagine a remainder of Shadow Bugs salvaging Tabuu's heart by storing it in a Primid, thus giving it personality and individuality. Tabuu's weak heart would give it enough of a buff to stand toe-to-toe with the rest of the cast.

Just an idea really. At least I know you and red9rd like the idea of Primid. Maybe it will catch on.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
It's Smash Bros, we don't need a Sonic the Hedgehog Deviant Art Fan Character style back story for why a character is there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom