• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I do realize this. The main point I was getting at was that a lot of ideas people had for his new moveset were EXTREMELY unrealistic (I.E. his projectile acting like it does in his boss battles). I didn't word it very well. You do realize that articles can really only be modified aesthetically and statistically, right? Any new behavior for projectiles is not possible, which is why Ness/Lucas or Lucario wouldn't cut it for a lot of people.
Well, it's not like that move would get that behavior in an official Smash game, so anyone expecting it to happen here is deluding themselves.

Doesn't Shadow Ball act differently than Aura Sphere?

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
Well, it's not like that move would get that behavior in an official Smash game, so anyone expecting it to happen here is deluding themselves.

Doesn't Shadow Ball act differently than Aura Sphere?
A lot of people voted expecting some sort of a canonical moveset, so a lot of people are deluding themselves.
As for Shadow Ball, not really. It just has a bit of a wobbly animation as it's flying, and maybe does a bit more damage. The hitbox may or may not be effected by the animation, I'm not sure. It still operates almost entirely the same.

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
From the Clone Engine blogpost: "Luckily, with a lot of extensive work, the behavior and appearance of these articles can usually be edited enough to look new."

Just sayin'.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
A lot of people voted expecting some sort of a canonical moveset, so a lot of people are deluding themselves.
As for Shadow Ball, not really. It just has a bit of a wobbly animation as it's flying, and maybe does a bit more damage. The hitbox may or may not be effected by the animation, I'm not sure. It still operates almost entirely the same.
Presumably the hitbox would be affected.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
From the Clone Engine blogpost: "Luckily, with a lot of extensive work, the behavior and appearance of these articles can usually be edited enough to look new."

Just sayin'.
He could've been talking about animations and various effects (fire, darkness, sleep, flower, etc.)
When I'm talking about behavior, I'm talking about the more intricate side of things, regarding how the article is used, how it moves, whether or not it's user controlled, hitbox integrity in terms of the size of the article, things like that. Unless SOMEONE can explain what aspects of articles can be edited (wink wink), then I rest my case.

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
well I'm off smashboards for a long while again (i just came for the PM new character inclusion)...........it was a wonderful experience to meet you wonderful people and big angry tomato xD.....

I wish you guys all good luck with whatever the roster turns out be.

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
He could've been talking about animations and various effects (fire, darkness, sleep, flower, etc.)
When I'm talking about behavior, I'm talking about the more intricate side of things, regarding how the article is used, how it moves, whether or not it's user controlled, hitbox integrity in terms of the size of the article, things like that. Unless SOMEONE can explain what aspects of articles can be edited (wink wink), then I rest my case.
I'm fairly sure certain aspects can't be added, such as controlled, homing, and the like. Because obviously you were asking me, of course.

The thing is I'm not sure why it would be such a big deal to add an electric effect and a different graphic to the projectile. Changing the speed and power is obviously possible as well (see shadow ball)
Why not give it a long charge, high power, and I'm gonna have to say moderate speed. It will hardly have an effect on Ganon's metagame, which is apparently what people want even if he consistently ranks among the weakest characters.

Also:
Am I just crazy or something?

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace

Well, unless they go into detail as to what behavior means, I don't think you can rest your case. Behavior sounds to me like it would be gameplay related, and we do know that they did change Aura Sphere to be faster when it became Shadow Ball, it also stays longer before the game gets rid of it. We do know the properties of projectile can be changed, we just don't know to what extent.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Yeah, clearly with Lucas's PK Freeze they can give things different elemental effects, and they can clearly modify speed, size, and power. If they wanted to give Ganon a lightning spell, they could take PK Fire, make it lightning-y, and maybe slow it down and make it more powerful.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
Well, unless they go into detail as to what behavior means, I don't think you can rest your case. Behavior sounds to me like it would be gameplay related, and we do know that they did change Aura Sphere to be faster when it became Shadow Ball, it also stays longer before the game gets rid of it. We do know the properties of projectile can be changed, we just don't know to what extent.
That's what I was trying to say. Once again, I'm a crappy writer.

Yeah, clearly with Lucas's PK Freeze they can give things different elemental effects, and they can clearly modify speed, size, and power. If they wanted to give Ganon a lightning spell, they could take PK Fire, make it lightning-y, and maybe slow it down and make it more powerful.
I guess it could be possible, given a lot of work. I think we've both shown through our bickering that both ideas aren't necessarily the optimal options. Stance change wouldn't give the fans everything they want. B.S. is too controversial (for various reasons), but is an idea that COULD work.

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
I'm afraid that if Pichu doesn't make it, one of the furries will... lesser of two evils?

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
I'm willing to believe they have the capabilities to straight-up give Ganon a projectile without cloning. Brawl Vault guys have done some shenanigans to give people projectiles I believe, and the PMBR are really good at what they do.

I'm not even slightly positive this is possible, but at the very least it would probably be simple to give him a wave of dark energy or something like before the OoT boss battle. Just an effect and an extended hitbox.

Either way, this isn't important or really related to this thread.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
That pichu thread didnt last long
Well, back to arguing over a futile topic and cluttering the thread

I dont want pichu in project m, discuss

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
How about we go back to talking about Tetra? That lasted about ten seconds. -_-

What would you do for her specials? (Btw sorry if you mapped all this out in a post already and I'm asking redundant questions, I'm just curious haha).

I think there's two ways to go with Tetra - you could either give her pirate-themed specials, or WW items that TL probably would've gotten if he was fully decloned. So her Up-B could be her pulling out a Deku-Leaf, and then a gust of wind blowing her upwards. Conversely, she could pull out a sail that looks like it's right from her pirate ship, and the same thing happens.

Also, it'd be really cool if her down-B had something to do with cannons. Imagine if she did down-B, and then 5 seconds later or something, a cannon hit the spot she was at when she did down-B? Maybe when she does it she cries out "HEY!!!!!" or something, haha. edit: LOL I'm saying cannon, meant cannonball.

What would you do?

True Fool

Smash Ace
Hey legendofrob1. Half vote for Pokemon Trainer. I think he has a lot of great gadgets that could be used for his attacks, or even Pokemon that could be summoned for certain attacks. It could be too intense to program, but I think it would be awesome if his B-moves could summon Pokemon that stay out until he recalls them, and they have a cool-down after being used. So for example, if he used his up-B to attack someone, and was knocked off the stage shortly after, he wouldn't be able to recover. But they'd have to be effective moves, or else that cool-down would just make him a bad character.

Also, I think a lot of you are taking the down-votes too seriously. Not all of us hate Pichu, my down-vote is personally just because I think he's a plausible and potential addition, but I think there are a lot of better options for characters. I hear what you're all saying, and I do think he could be done well. I personally would prefer the time and effort to be put elsewhere. That doesn't mean I'd rather have nobody than have Pichu, I just think someone better could be added.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
It's unfortunate. It's like trying to set up a kids table for the kids, but the restaurant owners won't have it.
Not trying to nitpick here, but what doesn't make that Black Shadow dookey-butt discussion childish?
I'm a big culprit, I've been pretty immature, just saying.

Edit: NVM. I realize now that, the Black Shadow dookey-butt discussion has mostly only been me. Can't really make a whole thread for one crazy guy.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
What would you do for her specials? (Btw sorry if you mapped all this out in a post already and I'm asking redundant questions, I'm just curious haha).

I think there's two ways to go with Tetra - you could either give her pirate-themed specials, or WW items that TL probably would've gotten if he was fully decloned. So her Up-B could be her pulling out a Deku-Leaf, and then a gust of wind blowing her upwards. Conversely, she could pull out a sail that looks like it's right from her pirate ship, and the same thing happens.

Also, it'd be really cool if her down-B had something to do with cannons. Imagine if she did down-B, and then 5 seconds later or something, a cannon hit the spot she was at when she did down-B? Maybe when she does it she cries out "HEY!!!!!" or something, haha. edit: LOL I'm saying cannon, meant cannonball.

What would you do?
Honestly I don't have many ideas for Tetra, I just think she has the potential to be fun, so you haven't missed anything. :p

I would certainly be up for Tetra being a decloned Toon Link. Up or side-B could be the Deku Leaf. Actually! Up-B could be a grappling hook (as a pirate, she could definitely use one), side-B could be the Deku Leaf. Not sure what the grappling hook would do on the ground though (aside from be her grab, but not as her up-B)...
She should probably keep the bombs, honestly, considering you steal them from her. Maybe they can behave differently somehow though. That could be either her B or down-B.
What to do for her last special...

Alternatively, if we went with the pirate theme: up-B could involve a barrel somehow, as in being launched out of her catapult. :p The sail instead of Deku Leaf isn't a bad idea! I'd probably still stick with the grappling hook though. Beyond that, I'm not sure...

The thing to keep in mind about Tetra (I'm playing WWHD right now, actually!) is that she's very agile. Like, more so than Toon Link by a long shot. That should definitely come across in her moveset.

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
DISCUSSION TIME:
Some of the popular characters in this thread like Isaac and Lyn have essentially no available sound files to work with for a P:M inclusion; Lyn has a few available phrases in Brawl that are portraying her far too old, and Isaac has a dainty female voice speaking broken English for three sound clips. Lyn might have something to work with in FE: Awakening, but I haven't been able to find any video evidence that she does indeed speak, considering she's just a DLC character.

Regardless, what is the next possible course of action here? I feel the process of finding suitable voice actors and having the in-house talent to direct them may not be available to the P:M staff as it is now.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Hey thelegendofrob1. Half vote for Pokemon Trainer. I think he has a lot of great gadgets that could be used for his attacks, or even Pokemon that could be summoned for certain attacks. It could be too intense to program, but I think it would be awesome if his B-moves could summon Pokemon that stay out until he recalls them, and they have a cool-down after being used. So for example, if he used his up-B to attack someone, and was knocked off the stage shortly after, he wouldn't be able to recover. But they'd have to be effective moves, or else that cool-down would just make him a bad character.
alright, thanks! But you are confusing and merging two ideas. One was to have all his specials revolve around summoning pokemon with no cool-down.

The other was to use pokemon items like the rod or the bike as specials, and have only one move dedicated to spawning pokeballs (the item). Only when it's one move that could be real OP is there a big recharge time. This way work won't be nearly as intensive. That was always my idea.

Also my name.... Nevermind, close enough

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
DISCUSSION TIME:
Some of the popular characters in this thread like Isaac and Lyn have essentially no available sound files to work with for a P:M inclusion; Lyn has a few available phrases in Brawl that are portraying her far too old, and Isaac has a dainty female voice speaking broken English for three sound clips. Lyn might have something to work with in FE: Awakening, but I haven't been able to find any video evidence that she does indeed speak, considering she's just a DLC character.

Regardless, what is the next possible course of action here? I feel the process of finding suitable voice actors and having the in-house talent to direct them may not be available to the P:M staff as it is now.

Strong Bad will do voice acting for all characters. He has a killer Lyn impression I hear.

TDLink

Smash Rookie
I've said all I had to say on Pichu anyways so I'm fine with leaving that discussion behind. It is preserved in the last few pages of this topic for the PMBR or anyone else who cares.

Regarding Tetra: Sounds fine to me. I wouldn't mind that idea either. I'm kind of against a straight up Toon Zelda though.

Regarding Isaac/Lyn voice: I think it's a minor issue. They could pull dialogue other characters say in other games (like random people in FE: Awakening or something). It's not a perfect solution but it's better than nothing. I think voice clips at the end of the day are probably going to be the easiest thing to solve for these characters. The moves are going to be tougher...but if Mewtwo, what they did with Ivysaur, and other stuff they have added in Project M compared to Brawl is possible....then making those characters is not impossible.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Now that I think about it, I might be able to do a good Isaac.

(I say that now, but I'm going to do some test recordings and it's probably going to be really bad)

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
It seems to me like they could find someone to do voice acting. Hell, they could probably do it themselves. There aren't a lot of voices necessary for Smash anyway.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
The real issue is trying to edit the voices to make them seem authentic.
I can imagine that taking some time.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Back to tetra, that sail thing you guys suggested reminds me of the sailcloth from skyward sword. Also, annother move I could see her have is the grapple hook, not as a grab, but as a side b that charges, it would be sweet if she swings the grapple hook around like toon link does in WW while she charges the move.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Back to tetra, that sail thing you guys suggested reminds me of the sailcloth from skyward sword. Also, annother move I could see her have is the grapple hook, not as a grab, but as a side b that charges, it would be sweet if she swings the grapple hook around like toon link does in WW while she charges the move.
And what does it...do?

Shin F.

Smash Master
Shadow is like Wario? Do i need to remind you that wario is in the game? And that he has his own games which did fairly well. And that hes like, an important nintendo character now (well maybe i dunno)

Tails isnt a pure sonic clone, neither is shadow. Tails attacks with his tails, shadow attacks with his weapons and psychic powers. Tails doesnt have blasters to use in his moveset, but whats this? Shadow HAS guns and blasters.

Tails has a plane? Shadow has a motorcycle and a car.

Tails is just a sidekick, i doubt he has accomplished anything up to the calibur of shadow. Tails is only meant to be a sidekick, and that is how he is portayed in the games. If any sonic character was to make it in, it would have to be shadow, and plus rivals make good characters in smash

You clearly missed the point of the Wario argument, so I'll make it more plain. Yes, Wario's in Smash. He debuted in the third game. You know who was there from the very first game? Luigi. You know - the sidekick. I don't think Wario was even considered for the first Smash like some other characters were.

Yes, Wario's games do well. That has nothing to do with this, so I have no idea why you brought it up. If it was relevant, though, you can't say the same about Shadow, because we all know how his game turned out.

Tails does have blasters can use. He has a very large number of devices, in fact, that were invented by him. His intelligence is said to rival Eggman's. Check the wiki, if you don't believe me.

Some of his attacks/ inventions that he could use:
http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Magic_Hook
http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Energy_Ball
http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Flick

If you want an example of what his moveset could be, just look at how he plays in SSF2. In fact, three of his moves from that game come from the pages I linked. The Tornado in this game makes a perfect Final Smash, and it even functions like Snake's Grenade Launcher.

It doesn't matter about accomplishments or whether he's a sidekick. Those are just empty excuses. They don't take away from who he is as a character. Of course, you're underestimating just how important Tails is. He's been an integral part of the series since long before Shadow was around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom