• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Knuckles' main characteristic is pointy things on his fists that he punches things and people with

he's literally named after a part of his fist
But pretty much everything else on him is Sonic, but with different "hair", 100% less chuckles and 100% more non-existent muscle flexing. He is not known for punching even if he is named like that. Making him in the way i said for example would require less work AND would better represent him than just punching guy since it would be something actually taken from the games (2D and 3D).
A drop kick.
Wat?

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
He does punch stuff in SA/SA2, which is the only set of sonic games I care about outside of the Genesis ones in which he punches literally nothing.

So I'd say he can have at least a couple punching moves, but if they gave him Mac's moveset it would seem odd. Although having a weaker air game than Sonic, aside from gliding is acceptable.

Hagrid

Smash Apprentice
Knuckles' main characteristic is pointy things on his fists that he punches things and people with

he's literally named after a part of his fist
Yeah but the likely reason he is even being considered is because he can be a clone of sonic. If it weren't for that, and he required a unique moveset, he wouldn't have much of a chance at all.

Bleck

Smash Master
still

not specifically

a boxer
yeah man a character named after his fists punching people is totally inaccurate because he does not actively partake in the sport of boxing

in fact somebody call the PMDT and get them to remove the Falcon Punch, I mean Captain Falcon is a bounty hunter so clearly he shouldn't punch people

and like all of those punch jabs people have, they aren't boxers! how are they doing this!

how is Mario throwing fireballs when he's a plumber? shouldn't he just be fixing pipes and literally that's it? ? ?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
yeah man a character named after his fists punching people is totally inaccurate because he does not actively partake in the sport of boxing

in fact somebody call the PMDT and get them to remove the Falcon Punch, I mean Captain Falcon is a bounty hunter so clearly he shouldn't punch people

and like all of those punch jabs people have, they aren't boxers! how are they doing this!

how is Mario throwing fireballs when he's a plumber? shouldn't he just be fixing pipes and literally that's it? ? ?
But thats not what he is known for. He should be able to punch, but that shouldn't be the main focus. He can also spin dash, dig underground, glide, etc. Little Mac is a boxer and known for punching and only that. Knuckles can obviously do more and more known for his gameplay in SA and StH3 (& Knuckles), not Sonic Boom or Sonic Heroes gameplay.

Bleck

Smash Master
He can also spin dash, dig underground, glide, etc.
the thing about the spin dash is that having the spin-dash as his down-special like Sonic still leaves uh all of his other moves

digging underground sounds like something that's more or less impossible to integrate into gameplay in a way that isn't basically either Greninja's side-special or a way crappier version of Meta Knight's down-special

yes let's give Knuckles the ability to glide in the mod where everyone's been complaining for years that recoveries are too goddamn good and gliding shouldn't be in the game (the latter of which I actually agree with)

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Let's not forget that Knuckles also has the ability to cause ground quaking when he glides into things as Super/Hyper Knuckles. I'm aware that it's specifically his super/hyper form, but they could give him something like that in a dive instead of giving him an aerial spin dash. Just a thought.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
the thing about the spin dash is that having the spin-dash as his down-special like Sonic still leaves uh all of his other moves

digging underground sounds like something that's more or less impossible to integrate into gameplay in a way that isn't basically either Greninja's side-special or a way crappier version of Meta Knight's down-special

yes let's give Knuckles the ability to glide in the mod where everyone's been complaining for years that recoveries are too goddamn good and gliding shouldn't be in the game (the latter of which I actually agree with)
Doesn't means he has to punch in most of them. Glide could be used as Side B or just like glide and it can't be left out because its been in every game except for Sonic Boom and PMBR is not against them since they didn't cut those yet and Pit and Charizard have those as specials. Digging (let it be Down B while Spin Dash is Side B) could be integrated as a Bowser Bomb kind of special (in the beginning only) that damages opponents both when going into the ground (if in the air) and coming out of it and also allowing to follow up with aerial attacks like Sonic's...Spin Dash i guess...Don't know what he uses for it...To balance it, time limit could be given on how long he can remain underground and reduce damage dealt (like chargable attacks, but in reverse) when coming out and how high he goes as he remains underground. Its not impossible and i could code something like that easily.

Last edited:

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
You can't have Knuckles without gliding, and as such I don't expect to not see gliding
Agreed. It's not like they couldn't make gliding balanced. It seems like they did fairly well with Charizard and 3.5 Pit, although I could be wrong. In any case, Knuckles' glide only goes straight in one direction (though he can turn), but he's always losing altitude while doing it, unlike those characters who are in PM already.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Agreed. It's not like they couldn't make gliding balanced. It seems like they did fairly well with Charizard and 3.5 Pit, although I could be wrong. In any case, Knuckles' glide only goes straight in one direction (though he can turn), but he's always losing altitude while doing it, unlike those characters who are in PM already.
Would be nice if he would be able to cling to the wall if he hits any. Still don't think its a good idea to have him or any other extra 3rd party character.

Bleck

Smash Master
so let's give him something that sounds really easily edgeguarded and boring because "that's what he can do in the game"

that's stupid

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
so let's give him something that sounds really easily edgeguarded and boring because "that's what he can do in the game"

that's stupid
His glide would likely have a decent hitbox because his knuckles are right out in front. I'm sure the PMBR could come up with a way to make it feel like it's what he does in the games he's in and still make it not worthless.

Would be nice if he would be able to cling to the wall if he hits any. Still don't think its a good idea to have him or any other extra 3rd party character.
He should be able to cling to walls, though I dunno if he should be allowed to climb walls like he does in the Sonic series. On one hand, it's accurate, on the other, it's probably broken. (Not that there are that many stages with walls to climb) Out of them all, Knuckles is the only 3rd party character I'd want to see, but I will fully admit that I am biased as hell.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

that's stupid
That was one of the only noticable differences between him and Sonic and remained for every next game except for Sonic Boom. Not having it is like having Sonic without Homing Attack, Kirby without inhale, Bowser without Fire Breath, etc. It doesn't matters how it will work or why. It just should be here.
He should be able to cling to walls, though I dunno if he should be allowed to climb walls like he does in the Sonic series. On one hand, it's accurate, on the other, it's probably broken. (Not that there are that many stages with walls to climb) Out of them all, Knuckles is the only 3rd party character I'd want to see, but I will fully admit that I am biased as hell.
...Didn't thought about lack of walls. Then he could go into normal "wall" cling state, like Sheik and Lucario.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
There we go. Knuckles should just grab hold of walls like he does in the games when you wall cling. Any extra properties are debatable, but that's a must.

Honestly, third party character or not, it's an easy clone choice, has a few stylistic differences/moveset differences, but would share quite a few animations with Sonic; plus, as they've said, it'd be safer for them to use a third party character than not, because then Sega could ask them to remove said character, but not ask them to shut down the whole project.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Honestly, third party character or not, it's an easy clone choice, has a few stylistic differences/moveset differences, but would share quite a few animations with Sonic; plus, as they've said, it'd be safer for them to use a third party character than not, because then Sega could ask them to remove said character, but not ask them to shut down the whole project.
They choose only characters already licensed for Brawl, so, everything is legal. Its just that role in the game is changed. If they would add something like Mega Man, then it wouldn't be all that legal. 1st party characters are better either way.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
They choose only characters already licensed for Brawl, so, everything is legal. Its just that role in the game is changed. If they would add something like Mega Man, then it wouldn't be all that legal. 1st party characters are better either way.
Fair enough; and I agree that first party characters are better, but I certainly wouldn't find Knuckles a bad pick, as I've said.

Draco_The

Smash Lord
How can you guys talk about bringing a Sonic character into a fighting game without mentioning Sonic Battle?

Freduardo

Smash Champion
On the claim you can't incorporate Knuckles' digging mechanic without ripping off Greninja's Side Special.... Have you ever played a BrawlEX pack with a Knuckles PSA? They dig, you get a little dirt cloud that tells you where you are for when you come out of it. It's a pretty fun move to use.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
My guess was because they've already decided on the characters internally. Or something.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Because a couple of our vote counters basically want nothing to do with this thread anymore. And it's completely justifiable from the actions a couple users made in this thread towards them.

Honestly I've been feeling like this thread, even though it's in the PM boards, feels completely removed from a huge chunk of the community. As if visiting it is a social stigma that should be avoided at all costs and it's rather unwarranted. We know that new characters are coming to PM, and it really is a big deal. A mod of smash bros with this much popularity will only attract even more attention once it starts adding new characters never before seen in a smash game.

The biggest reason though I feel why we've stopped counting votes, is that the results really weren't changing all that much anymore. The top have basically solidified their spots, and the bottom was reduced to 3rd party characters and nothing was really going to change that.

That's not to say voting won't ever be up again. Once the new characters coming in a future update to PM arrive or have a trailer released, I definitely plan on opening it up again. Although with slightly changed rules, most likely the ones discussed in the past. For those who want voting to come back, please be patient until then.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
Well, if the character roster has been decided by the PMDT, there goes the chances of my idea of a completed roster being added to the game.. Lol but at least 3 of the characters I like will most likely be added.

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
Oh I do hope that they add Sonic Boom Knuckles as an alt. No really, I like that design XD

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Oh I do hope that they add Sonic Boom Knuckles as an alt. No really, I like that design XD
That could work only on Donkey Kong or Ganondorf. He doesn't matches normal Knuckless's proportions, so, he can't be properly done as his alt. It would be like Ganonchu/Pikadorf, but in reverse.

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
oooor

we take the hypothetical original knuckles model

and add bandages to it

so it's not a complete model overhaul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom