• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
I thought it had to do with Ivysaur's Japanese VA being female or somesuch.
A lot of female voice actors voice male characters though. I'm sure toon link falls into this case.

Draco_The

Smash Lord
I still wonder til this day why Ivysaur is considered female by the PMBR. Considering there is no possible way to determine the gender but only on a select few Pokemon, most noticeable difference is Pikachu and their tails.
Starting from Pokémon Diamond and Pearl, Venosaur had a pistil growing out of its flower when it was female:

Sakurai did something neat with Ivysaur using this knowledge--if you pause the game, and zoom in on the opening of her bulb, you can see the same pistil still growing inside, indicating it as a female.

Thus, we refer to Ivy as a female.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
A lot of female voice actors voice male characters though. I'm sure toon link falls into this case.
Fair enough. Much better reasoning in the post above this one!

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
Huh, never noticed the pistil on Venasaur. I guess its because I don't pay attention much. Thanks for the explanation though, I appreciate it.

Last edited:

Mangoh862

Smash Apprentice
alright, you ready for this... I'm about to blow your mind......... "Ephraim" (Oh snap!) You can't touch him!! XD He could have a unique moveset different from most of the sword using FE characters since he uses a lance/spear. I don't have a moveset for him, but maybe this could inspire someone to make one... idk, just my 3 cents (2 cents isn't enough)

Mangoh862

Smash Apprentice
or maybe Roxas from KH, since he was on a nintendo system..... although I'd rather have Axel, Roxas would do. or maybe Sora/Riku

DokemonStudios

Smash Rookie
I got some good ideas for Clone Characters.

A Koopa Troopa can be a clone of Squirtle. (Remove the Water effects)
Boshi from Super Mario RPG can be a clone of Yoshi. (Just much slower but stronger)
Baby Mario can be a Clone of Mario (duh.)

Basically just have minion characters or incredibly minor characters as playable characters, because Sakurai would rather have major characters in Smash. (At least to my knowledge)

Also there are plenty of Pokemon to choose from as playable characters (As long as they are from Gens 1 through 4 I guess) I'm sure one of them can be a Lucario clone.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I got some good ideas for Clone Characters.

A Koopa Troopa can be a clone of Squirtle. (Remove the Water effects)
Boshi from Super Mario RPG can be a clone of Yoshi. (Just much slower but stronger)
Baby Mario can be a Clone of Mario (duh.)

Basically just have minion characters or incredibly minor characters as playable characters, because Sakurai would rather have major characters in Smash. (At least to my knowledge)

Also there are plenty of Pokemon to choose from as playable characters (As long as they are from Gens 1 through 4 I guess) I'm sure one of them can be a Lucario clone.
Voting is closed. Those characters won't be counted on the list because of that.

Also, there are still plenty of big-name characters that still haven't seen themselves on the rosters yet, and the vast, vast majority of the fanbase would rather see those kinds of characters playable over nameless extras.

Last edited:

DokemonStudios

Smash Rookie
Voting is closed. Those characters won't be counted on the list because of that.

Also, there are still plenty of big-name characters that still haven't seen themselves on the rosters yet, and the vast, vast majority of the fanbase would rather see those kinds of characters playable over nameless extras.
I wasn't even voting to be honest.

Edit: But what if Nintendo put in said big-name characters that made it in Project M? Again, picking characters is a problem in Project M because of the self imposed restraints.

Last edited:

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
The team already said if they release the character first they won't remove them.

So just because they announced mewtwo doesn't mean they'll remove him. Same with any other new chatacter, be it Ridley or a Koopa lol.

CoeusFreeze

Smash Cadet
This may have been discussed earlier, but I think it would be neat to see the Pichu Brothers (from the anime short) rather than just a Pichu fighting alone. Pichu's melee moveset seems like it could be easily adapted to two characters, and while it may detract from the ICs a little I feel that it may offer a lot to the game.

Draco_The

Smash Lord
So will this poll be taken into account for Project M?
This poll is like saying to the PMDT "we want this char and that char the most". Just that. Just because a character is 1st in the poll doesn't mean that the PMDT's going to make that character or anything like that.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Ridley seems to me like the most likely to be made next, since he has somewhat of an existing moveset to work off of in Smash 4, even though Isaac is higher on the polls.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Ridley seems to me like the most likely to be made next, since he has somewhat of an existing moveset to work off of in Smash 4, even though Isaac is higher on the polls.
And it would also be logical to include him after possibility of him being a DLC character anyhow was brought down to 0 while demand for him is still high as it always was. Kinda like Mewtwo bait Project M already has, but perhaps not as good. At other hand, he is a lot more difficult to make than Mewtwo was because there isn't much references for animations that could be used, there never was a moveset for playable Ridley done outside of stuff like SSB Crusade, Ridley overall has a lot more moving parts and Charizard's animations can't be reused since he has very different proportions, so, it will take a while to make. But it will definitely be worth it.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
And it would also be logical to include him after possibility of him being a DLC character anyhow was brought down to 0 while demand for him is still high as it always was. Kinda like Mewtwo bait Project M already has, but perhaps not as good.
Who knows, we already know Sakurai knows about P:M's existence. P:M!Ridley might change his mind if done well :p

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Also, I was just idly thinking, hypothetically – How would Pyoro (WarioWare series & DSiWare) fare as a potential Yoshi or Ivysaur clone? Simple movements and model, unique things can be done with his grab game...

Not that I think it's likely at all. Just throwing the idea idly out there.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Also, I was just idly thinking, hypothetically – How would Pyoro (WarioWare series & DSiWare) fare as a potential Yoshi or Ivysaur clone? Simple movements and model, unique things can be done with his grab game...

Not that I think it's likely at all. Just throwing the idea idly out there.
Does not appears in Brawl directly, so, can't have him any way.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
It really is just a waiting game at this point. Unfortunately this thread really is suffering from the silence, it needs something to get it back up again.

I've been thinking of starting up biweekly character discussions, where we go down the latest results list from the thread, and go into more detail of the characters that people want to see implemented. Of course, most of the characters at the top have already had a decent amount of discussion about them. But they're there for a reason, so finding more to say for them shouldn't be a problem. It could also peak the interest of some new users that have yet to join the discussion.

Just a concept I've been thinking of for a couple weeks now. My current obligations and schedule is making it a bit difficult to spend as much time as I used to in this thread though, so I'm not sure how well I could stay on top of this. It's the reason I decided biweekly would probably be my best bet.

pnkgoldcatpeach

Smash Cadet
im gonna try here too

hey it is that bagan guy above, you the ridley guy, right?
you ever gonna port ridley to smash 4 when you done? Im not being impatient or anything, im just curious

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
hey it is that bagan guy above, you the ridley guy, right?
you ever gonna port ridley to smash 4 when you done? Im not being impatient or anything, im just curious
Right, its me. It is impossible to port it to smash 4 for various reasons (main reasons - those games without a doubt work differently and its unknown is it even possible to make such hacks for SSB4).

pnkgoldcatpeach

Smash Cadet
Right, its me. It is impossible to port it to smash 4 for various reasons (main reasons - those games without a doubt work differently and its unknown is it even possible to make such hacks for SSB4).
yay someone replied to me!! thanks!

so that also means no lyndis, knuckles, etc?

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
Not sure if joking (probably, but humor on the internet) or unaware that you're posting a three year old KOF XIII customization.
He's trolling, and that's not even how she really looks. I doubt PM will even think about anyone from KOF

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
Not a good idea to do that it in a dead thread. Social thread would work better.
JCOnyx wanted to get it back up again ya know...
Oh and I tried the social thread but they're chaotic (all act like they know each other, reply way too fast that the page ends in 5 mins, etc.)

Hagrid

Smash Apprentice
It really is just a waiting game at this point. Unfortunately this thread really is suffering from the silence, it needs something to get it back up again.

I've been thinking of starting up biweekly character discussions, where we go down the latest results list from the thread, and go into more detail of the characters that people want to see implemented. Of course, most of the characters at the top have already had a decent amount of discussion about them. But they're there for a reason, so finding more to say for them shouldn't be a problem. It could also peak the interest of some new users that have yet to join the discussion.

Just a concept I've been thinking of for a couple weeks now. My current obligations and schedule is making it a bit difficult to spend as much time as I used to in this thread though, so I'm not sure how well I could stay on top of this. It's the reason I decided biweekly would probably be my best bet.
This is a fantastic idea. Biweekly is probably too short if anything but we can give it a go.

Bleck

Smash Master
if they make Knuckles playable they should give him Little Mac's moveset from Smash 4

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
if they make Knuckles playable they should give him Little Mac's moveset from Smash 4
Not a good idea. It will take a lot of time and even then it wouldn't be worth it because Knuckles isn't known for being a boxer unless its Buffles. Being Sonic's semi-clone would fit better, with gliding, digging and maybe something else to make him different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom