• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
That "leak" is so weird. I've mentioned it before that I kinda want it to happen just for the Duck Hunt Dog fans to have their day, but I'm not comfortable with the idea of Ice Climbers gone and Lucas/Wolf/Snake being sold separately.

I'm also seeing a very strange and funny phenomena happen elsewhere where people have latched on to this so hard without thinking about how nothing's final 'til Sakurai says so.
The leaked pictures are definantly fake, GnW's hand overlaps Wario in the CSS.

Still sketchy about the other things shown though.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット

Bring on the disturbing FanFic.

Day 12.

G&W has gone weeks without the warmth of a female.

In his desperation he reaches a hand to his only choice.

Wario embraces him with open arms.

Game is love.
Watch is life.

Shin F.

Smash Master

Actually, if you look closely, you can see that it's just Wario's shoulder. It doesn't have Game & Watch's outline around it, and it matches the look of his shoulder on the other side of his icon.
Hand.png

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Actually, if you look closely, you can see that it's just Wario's shoulder. It doesn't have Game & Watch's outline around it, and it matches the look of his shoulder on the other side of his icon.
Eh, GnW pic looks sketchy itself to me. It's way too dark, same with Ganon and a few others.
I also don't think that Dr.Mario matches the art style of the rest. It just seems a bit off to me

Edit: Also Bowser Jr. Is way over saturated with brightness compared to his series. He's more in line with the amount Kirby/Pokemon has, when the Marioverse charas are less so

EDIT2, THE DOUBLE WHAMMY:

Aint no names below dem icons son, must be fake. Even the demo css had names under them. It looks very unprofessional without them, plus somepeople (like random new people) would have no idea who the characters were.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
On another note, something just came to mind after randomly thinking about the discussion a few pages back about what could be done to differentiate Takamaru from Link. What if Takamaru was the only swordsman on the roster who could switch between two styles of sword usage and thus two sets of normals (jabs, tilts and smashes)?

Way back when I first found out about the character and didn't get the significance behind his projectile game, I drafted a concept move set where he would be able to switch between using a drawn katana style (think Kendo) and a sheathed katana style (iaido/battoujutsu) by pressing B to either draw his sword out or sheathe it, thus altering his normals in the process. The same idea could be put into motion while changing the projectile layout in my current move set for him based on my better understanding of his game (Mysterious Murasame Castle) and how it's played.

For a quick and dirty version of what I'm thinking:

Neutral B - Draw/Sheathe - Takamaru would either draw his sword out of the sheathe or sheathe it back depending on whether or not the sword was in his hand or in its sheathe before the command was issued. This would give him access to either fast and powerful blows with limited range or good pokes and swings with little KO power behind them.

Forward B - Fireballs - Same as in the Takamaru move set in my signature.

Downward B - Throwing Knives & Windmill Swords - Takamaru pulls a throwing knife item out that he can hold and throw in four directions like Peach's turnips. The knife flies a short distance before disappearing entirely. If down B is Smashed, Takamaru pulls out three Windmill Swords. When thrown these fly the full distance of the screen, their rotation generating a small tornado that does multi-hit damage.

Upward B - Invisibility Scroll - Same as in the Takamaru move set in my signature.

I'm especially curious to hear what @ E EdgeTheLucas would think of this suggestion.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
@ bksbestbwoy bksbestbwoy

It's cool. I like the idea of having a move that allows two sets of normals, it's an easy way to make Takamaru unique without feeling out of place. The problem is that Project M Samus kind of treads familiar territory with her side taunt beam switching, but then again that only changes her fsmash, usmash, dtilt, and fair, so I guess it could still stand out.

I still like the idea of Takamaru being a character with a unique gimmick that doesn't feel overbearing or overcentralizing like some others (Olimar and Ice Climbers come to mind).

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
We're talking vote wise here.
Ah, OK. I understand now. I agree with you, personally do not think Pichu Bros. and Pichu should be considered the same when it comes to voting. My main problem, as well as what would appear to be yours, with Pichu Bros. and Pichu being the same is that I believe their play styles would and the skills needed to be developed to use them would be different enough (just the fact that there are two of them bring up different recovery styles and abilities, desynchs, methods of approach, the type of people that play them, required/necessary skills such as reading ability and timing, grab games, and edgeguarding, among many others) to the point that, as seen on this thread, as well as in my a few of my friends, some people may absolutely hate Pichu, but like the idea of Pichu Bros. Because of this, I think Pichu Bros. should be considered separate when it comes to voting to appeal to those who want Pichu Bros. but not Pichu. Of course, this opens up the problem of those who would be fine with either. If this is the case, then I think it could be solved by choosing the one you would give more weight to, put him in the +1 section, and then either put the remaining one in the +1's along with him, or put him +1/2's. To answer your question directly (Highlighted to grab your attention): At this point in time, I think they are considered one and the same in terms of voting, which is why my vote just says "Pichu," but that may change, depending on what Anti-Guy thinks. Ultimately, it's probably up to him who is considered separate and who isn't.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
The lack of Custom Robo representation in Smash 4's leak saddens me. Though regardless of if the leak is fake or not, I have always had my doubts of Custom Robo getting past the Assist Tropy status. All the more reason I want to see Ray MK III in Project M. I've also been digging around for more stuff on Ray. Managed to find a suitable battle stance and alt costumes:

Stance:

Alts:

A slightly modified version of Ray 01. The hitboxes on the shoulders would likely not match up properly. So creative authority can take place to modify them if need be.

And the classic Ray. Preferably a blend of the CR: Arena Ray and Ray Legend from Custom Robo: BR (Which both are literally just updates to the Original Ray model).

Last edited:

zpxociv

Smash Apprentice
I wanna vote but I'm pretty confused. So I can only vote +1 five times and then any amount of half-votes and then any amount of full -1 downvotes as well? This is a strange voting system, IMHO.
Okay, If I'm right about it, then:

+1 Dark Samus
+1 K Rool
+1 Ganon/Black Shadow
+1 Ridley
+1 Skull Kid

-1 Lyn
-1 Isacc

Did I do it right?

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I wanna vote but I'm pretty confused. So I can only vote +1 five times and then any amount of half-votes and then any amount of full -1 downvotes as well? This is a strange voting system, IMHO.
Okay, If I'm right about it, then:

+1 Dark Samus
+1 K Rool
+1 Ganon/Black Shadow
+1 Ridley
+1 Skull Kid

-1 Lyn
-1 Isacc

Did I do it right?
Yup. That's the way.
Edit: Oh, and happy first post. Welcome to Smashboards!

Last edited:

zpxociv

Smash Apprentice
Actually, not quite. You need to provide legitimate reasons for your downvotes.
oops... ok well for Lyn, I just hate girls with a WAY too deep voice.. and for Isaac well his outfit just doesn't do anything for me. Alright, reasons given. We good now?
To re-cap, that's:
-1 for Lyn
-1 for Isaac

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
oops... ok well for Lyn, I just hate girls with a WAY too deep voice.. and for Isaac well his outfit just doesn't do anything for me. Alright, reasons given. We good now?
To re-cap, that's:
-1 for Lyn
-1 for Isaac
Uhh... I don't think those are very legitimate reasons...

zpxociv

Smash Apprentice
Uhh... I don't think those are very legitimate reasons...
Where would anyone even draw the line for what reasons are and aren't legit? This is quite a slippery slope you've just walked onto. Maybe Lyn's voice just bugs the crap out of me. Is that not reason enough to not want her around? Who are you to decide what is and isn't "legit"? That's a double-standard you've got there and it all just boils down to "I like this character and I don't like this character". It's just opinions and you're just trying to invalidate my opinions. You're being a jerk, basically.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
To re-cap, that's:
-1 for Lyn
-1 for Isaac
Not... Quite. The down-votes you provide should be characters that would genuinely ruin your experience with the game. So to break it down:

Isaac: It sounds like you are merely indifferent to him. The down-votes here are used on characters that legitimately ruin your experience with the game. For example. A large margin of people here strongly would detest Shadow the Hedgehog being added to the game, because people have a bad history with the character. Another reason is his status as a 3rd Party Character, when people would much rather see a Nintendo character. Something along those lines.

Lyn: What it sounds like here is that you are assuming that the voice clips from Brawl will be indefinitely the ones that would be used. A common complaint to even the Fire Emblem fans is that Lyn's voice is unfitting. Another factor to take into consideration is that there isn't enough voice clips from Lyn's assist trophy anyways, so they are likely to use a completely different voice regardless. This case is just that you are uninformed about how character design works in Project M.

zpxociv

Smash Apprentice
Not... Quite. The down-votes you provide should be characters that would genuinely ruin your experience with the game. So to break it down:

Isaac: It sounds like you are merely indifferent to him. The down-votes here are used on characters that legitimately ruin your experience with the game. For example. A large margin of people here strongly would detest Shadow the Hedgehog being added to the game, because people have a bad history with the character. Another reason is his status as a 3rd Party Character, when people would much rather see a Nintendo character. Something along those lines.

Lyn: What it sounds like here is that you are assuming that the voice clips from Brawl will be indefinitely the ones that would be used. A common complaint to even the Fire Emblem fans is that Lyn's voice is unfitting. Another factor to take into consideration is that there isn't enough voice clips from Lyn's assist trophy anyways, so they are likely to use a completely different voice regardless. This case is just that you are uninformed about how character design works in Project M.
I was just joking about those reasons. I don't like lyn because I feel there's too many FE reps and her being a swordsman is even worse and Isaac is just a generic RPG character to me, he's bland and uninteresting to ME. It's my OPINION. Why is everyone being so elitist and trying to invalidate my opinions?

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
I was just joking about those reasons. I don't like lyn because I feel there's too many FE reps and her being a swordsman is even worse and Isaac is just a generic RPG character to me, he's bland and uninteresting to ME. It's my OPINION. Why is everyone being so elitist and trying to invalidate my opinions?
Then why didn't you just say that in the first place? To put it bluntly, we're trying to filter out opinions that are ******** or baseless. We don't care if an opinion is good or bad, because it's an opinion. It just needs to have a legitimate base. The ones you provided now are legitimate. And clearly if your previous reasons were jokes (which you didn't really convey), then invalidating it based on that would be the right move ;)

Negative votes are serious business. People don't really appreciate other people docking their beloved characters unless you have a good reason. They also can have a lot of confounding reasons on why they're negative... for example, vote rigging just to improve another character. That's why we take these votes more seriously and more regulated.

Last edited:

zpxociv

Smash Apprentice
Then why didn't you just say that in the first place? To put it bluntly, we're trying to filter out opinions that are ******** or baseless. We don't care if an opinion is good or bad, because it's an opinion. It just needs to have a legitimate base. The ones you provided now are legitimate. And clearly if your previous reasons were jokes, then invalidating it based on that would be the right move ;)
My whole point is that it's all completely subjective, based on what someone likes or dislikes, there isn't a need for "legitimizing" the opinions, that's just a form of bias.

Super_Primid

Smash Apprentice
One of the reasons may be because u are saying 4 FE characters are to many but u +1 Dark Samus and Ridley. (In term making 4 Metriod characters.) So that pretty much invalidates ur reason

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
My whole point is that it's all completely subjective, based on what someone likes or dislikes, there isn't a need for "legitimizing" the opinions, that's just a form of bias.
Irrelevant. Vote seriously if you want your vote to be taken seriously.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Read what I added on above. And to add on further:

Plus vote = Can only mean one thing: you like the character.

Negative vote = Can mean many things
-You genuinely dislike the character or do not thing he/she belongs (this is the only thing we're accepting for negative votes)
-You want to boost another characters' score by bringing competition down
-You're indifferent to the character (this does not need a negative vote)
-You voted negatively based on a false misconception (e.g. that a character would have a certain movelist or for example, "her voice would be too deep")

It's subjective, but we still need to filter it out to have the most accurate data.

Last edited:

zpxociv

Smash Apprentice
I still don't understand how you can filter purely subjective opinions. There's no solid logic there. You may as well not bother forcing people to tack on a reason since they could just as easily slap on whatever reason was already considered legit. Or are you actually assuming that your favorite characters have no legit reason to downvote and so will argue endlessly against any downvoters?

Last edited:

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
I still don't understand how you can filter purely subjective opinions. There's no solid logic there. You may as well not bother forcing people to tack on a reason since they could just as easily slap on whatever reason was already considered legit. Or are you actually assuming that your favorite characters have no legit reason to downvote and so will argue endlessly against any downvoters?
The logic is there. We've filtered plenty out. You CAN lie and give a fake reason why you want a character downvoted, but why the f*ck would you do that. At that point, it's the honor system. I can't say there's a been a situation where I would've even suspected that. People are often VERY clear on why they -1 a character. As for that last sentence, I already told you. A legit reason is anything that logically makes sense (and of course, seems genuine). It doesn't have to be something we agree with.

zpxociv

Smash Apprentice
One of the reasons may be because u are saying 4 FE characters are to many but u +1 Dark Samus and Ridley. (In term making 4 Metriod characters.) So that pretty much invalidates ur reason
Except it doesn't because it is also my opinion that 4 is too many FE reps but it is not too many Metroid reps. Thought you were so smart and had me there, didn't you?

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
That is actually irrelevant too. Metroid only has 2 reps. And there's no chance that BOTH DS and Ridley will get in, so that's fine. Also, as he mentioned, how much is too much is also a matter of opinion. I actually agree with him that as of right now, there are too many FE reps (2 FE clone engine is a little overkill), and Metroid is underrepresented.

I'd only discount a reason based on reps if if it was totally stupid: "I think Wario has too many reps so -1 Ashley, but let's add another Pokemon." Anything in the gray area can go through

Last edited:

Booster

Smash Lord
There's no denying it, Ridley would be alot more fun to play then Dark Samus. Also I see Little Mac dyed his hair blond, put on more clothes and shaved his eyebrows off xD

Last edited:

zpxociv

Smash Apprentice
The logic is there. We've filtered plenty out. You CAN lie and give a fake reason why you want a character downvoted, but why the f*ck would you do that. At that point, it's the honor system. I can't say there's a been a situation where I would've even suspected that. People are often VERY clear on why they -1 a character. As for that last sentence, I already told you. A legit reason is anything that logically makes sense (and of course, seems genuine). It doesn't have to be something we agree with.
But then you're just disagreeing on what's a legit reason. So it kinda DOES have to be something you agree with. Your logic is still quite lacking in this regard. The problem is that you don't understand the difference between subjective and objective and this is purely subjective. What you might consider a ******** opinion is no more ******** than any of your own when it's a completely subjective matter and at the end of the day all you're doing is creating a double standard to control the votes.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
But then you're just disagreeing on what's a legit reason. So it kinda DOES have to be something you agree with. Your logic is still quite lacking in this regard. The problem is that you don't understand the difference between subjective and objective and this is purely subjective. What you might consider a ******** opinion is no more ******** than any of your own when it's a completely subjective matter and at the end of the day all you're doing is creating a double standard to control the votes.
His logic is not lacking in the slightest. YOURS is for thinking you can come in this thread and completely disregard the rules. They are clearly stated on the front page. And it is clear you don't understand the development process that the PMBR goes through, so your opinion is completely irrelevant.

Booster

Smash Lord
IMO I think Project M Back Room should dub over Marth and Roy's Japanese voices with some english during their victory poses and taunts, replacing the Japanese voice clips.

Also have I voted for Ridley yet or not?

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
IMO I think Project M Back Room should dub over Marth and Roy's Japanese voices with some english during their victory poses and taunts, replacing the Japanese voice clips.

Also have I voted for Ridley yet or not?
You will have to wait until Shin or another vote taker gets on. As of right now, I'm actually unable to check the poll results.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Actually no, I very well understand the difference between subjective and objective.

While I can clearly discount the original reason for Lyn because of deep voice (as it has no grounds), the reason for Isaac does come down to my subjective opinion. However, I'm not the only one making that determination. Solbliminal and the others are in this too. And I think we've always had a pretty clear consensus as to where our subjective cut off is on that point. How do we make that decision? Common sense = cut off. And I'd think we'd all agree that a vote because "I don't like the clothes" does not fit the bill. So unfortunately, with that respect, you'd just have to trust our judgment. It doesn't matter much anyways because we hardly ever get negative votes that require a subjective determination like that anyways.

Last edited:

Super_Primid

Smash Apprentice
That is actually irrelevant too. Metroid only has 2 reps. And there's no chance that BOTH DS and Ridley will get in, so that's fine. Also, as he mentioned, how much is too much is also a matter of opinion. I actually agree with him that as of right now, there are too many FE reps (2 FE clone engine is a little overkill), and Metroid is underrepresented.

I'd only discount a reason based on reps if if it was totally stupid: "I think Wario has too many reps so -1 Ashley, but let's add another Pokemon." Anything in the gray area can go through
Actually I see where u are coming from anti and if my comment came out wrong I apologize what I was trying to say is that four is actually a little too much for me. I feel that three is a perfect number for me.

Except it doesn't because it is also my opinion that 4 is too many FE reps but it is not too many Metroid reps. Thought you were so smart and had me there, didn't you?
Nope.....Did u

zpxociv

Smash Apprentice
His logic is not lacking in the slightest. YOURS is for thinking you can come in this thread and completely disregard the rules. They are clearly stated on the front page. And it is clear you don't understand the development process that the PMBR goes through, so your opinion is completely irrelevant.
My opinion is irrelevant because I can't peek into the PMBR's room and watch their private process unfold? Kay, m8. Gr8 deb8.

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
Must resist temptation to get into this conversation filled with holes on the sole basis of subjective reasoning.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
My opinion is irrelevant because I can't peek into the PMBR's room and watch their private process unfold? Kay, m8. Gr8 deb8.
Is that what I said? No. I said you are uneducated about their process. Just like you are uneducated in debuts apparently. But you've wasted enough of my time arguing about something as stupid as the rules of this thread. I'm done here.

zpxociv

Smash Apprentice
Is that what I said? No. I said you are uneducated about their process. Just like you are uneducated in debuts apparently. But you've wasted enough of my time arguing about something as stupid as the rules of this thread. I'm done here.
Except that was exactly what you said and it's still right there in your post. You tryin' to backtrack now, m8?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom