• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
i really didnt have any other reason other than him being a Melee rep, but again id rather see others above him, many others.
Which is why this thread exists. Feel free to voice your opinion.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
I can't say I speak for the entirety of that fanbase, but the fact that Sami has more votes than Andy would imply the fans like her more.
Pretty sure that was already obvious, he was asking WHY people like her more. Also, Sami's up votes already outnumber the entire Advance Wars fanbase so your comment is invalid.

Exodo

Smash Ace
Pretty sure that was already obvious, he was asking WHY people like her more. Also, Sami's up votes already outnumber the entire Advance Wars fanbase so your comment is invalid.
just put advance wars in google, you will see that sami is searched more than andy.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Alright, since I already put so much work on Isaac, I'm gonna do a full moveset for him (which is very rare for me)... but given that he he is by far the number one choice, I think if anyone deserves a moveset, it might as well be him.

Overall: This moveset has Isaac as a combined summoner/swordsman character. With his mix of spells and sword attacks, he might be similar to Link (and probably, that's who he should use as his base), but he's a little different. Isaac would also play defensively, but not to Link's extent. His focus is on sticking to the ground (he does use EARTH attacks after all) and having effective spacing between him and his opponent. His aerial game and recovery are terrible (like Little Mac), so he'll have to play more aggressively than Link to rack up damage, as he'll have difficulty recovering.

Source material-wise, his attacks will pay tribute to as many as of his Venus psynergy skills as possible. This includes basic sword attacks (Helm Splitter, Sabre Dance), his wide variety of earth psynergy (eg, Gaia, Spire), plant psynergy (eg. Growth, Briar), ninja psynergy (Punji), demonic psynergy (Demon Night), and tamer psynergy (Wild Wolf). Many of these summons just summon special effects/minions that appear and disappear, while a few will actual require articles (especially his B attacks).

B attacks - These are all summons

Neutral B - Briar

A charge psynergy that shoots three spiny thorns upwards. Covers him from 60 to 120 degrees. The longer her charges, the farther they go. Effective anti-air attack, but useless against groundede enemies -- but it does have hitbox when overlapping enemies. Does not have significant knockback and only has moderate damage.

Up B - RAGNAROK

Isaac's Aether. He'll cast a giant sword around 60 degrees way above him, jump up, grab the sword, and slam it down at a downward angle. Causes some earthly splash damage upon impact. Overall, it has slightly better horizontal range than Aether, and similar height (but again, he doesn't have Ike's side B).

Side B - Demon Night

Isaac shoots out a wave of three skulls (that overlap each other, so it's really one projectile) that launch forward in a sinusoidal pattern (like Mewtwo's Shadow Ball). Does average damage. Mainly for spacing.

Down B - Spire

Isaac sticks his hands out and summons a giant stalactite that crashes down, spiking any opponents on its way down. Similar to Pikachu's Down B. Alternatively, that attack can be a spire that spikes up from the ground.

Smash Attacks - These are also all summons. Isaac either raises his hands in the air or points forward or angled down when charging.
Forward Smash - Call Wild Wolf

Summon a Wild Wolf that leaps forward before disappearing.

Up Smash - Punji

Look at the picture. Another anti-air attack. Unlike Briar, this shoots straight up, but has more knockback and acts as a KO move.

Down Smash - Quake

Causes a small quake a distance away from Isaac, in the direction he faces. The longer he charges, the farther it goes. Another spacing attack.

Jab and TIlts
Jab - Sabre Dance

- Four hit attack similar to Marth's Dancing Blade but with much less range and knockback.

Up Tilt - Fast uppercut. Hitbox is in front of Isaac.

Side Tilt - Sword slash, similar to Ike's

Down Tilt - Swings the sword low, causing dirt to spray in both directions

Aerials
Neutral Air - Spins with his sword. Slow and very poor damage and knockback with significant ending lag.

Up Air - An upward sword swing. Again, poor ending lag with poor knockback and weak damage.

Forward Air and Back Air - Summons a Venus Djinn from his hand that lurches forward a little bit. Moderate damage, poor ending lag.

Down Air - Helm Splitter

A diving sword attack, like Link's, Toon Link's. Fast fall, meteor, but delayed start.

Grab, Pummel, Throws
Grab - Melee hand grab
Pummel - Punches
(Alternatively, if the game can handle so many textures... and I highly doubt it: Curse)

Enemy gets zapped with a shadow effect while a skull laughs.

Forward Throw - Move

Isaac tosses the opponent forward, and summons the Move Hand that shoves the enemy far. The move hand is also much smaller than the one he uses as an AT.

Back Throw - Move
Slams them backwards into the ground, and as they bounce up, he summons the Move Hand backwards.

Up Throw - A quick toss upwards

Down Throw - Growth

Isaac summons a small bed of vines, and smothers the opponent down into them for a multi-hit attack (kinda like Charizard's down throw)

Final Smash - Grand Gaia

Enough said.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I was offering an opinion. If you don't like it then say something yourself next time.

GeZ

Smash Lord
No offense anti guy but the moveset is making me kind of anti hype. I guess I don't have a good enough grasp of the character since I only know of him from the mega man battle network crossovers, but I was expecting more summoning, sword play, and other neat stuff.

Also, and this isn't a dig at you, the character doesn't really seem to have much cohesiveness to his moveset. Like, he has a weird amount of anti airs and launchers, some iffy seeming spacing, and the side smash wolf "summon" isn't what I had in mind when I heard summoning character, let alone that the Usmash and Dsmash just sound weird and unfeasible.

I still really like the character, but if the PMBR did include him I'd hope he went in another direction. Sorry :drshrug:

Edit: well I've actually been thinking of a totally different character this whole time. Like, I still know about Isaac but I was getting him confused with Solar Boy Django. I still would like to see the character go in a different direction than what was posted, but I admire the work that went into that post. My only bit is that a lot of work has to go into thinking of a well put together moveset and when one is just kind of dashed off it shows.

Last edited:

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
Overall: This moveset has Isaac as a combined summoner/swordsman character. With his mix of spells and sword attacks, he might be similar to Link (and probably, that's who he should use as his base), but he's a little different. Isaac would also play defensively, but not to Link's extent. His focus is on sticking to the ground (he does use EARTH attacks after all) and having effective spacing between him and his opponent. His aerial game and recovery are terrible (like Little Mac), so he'll have to play more aggressively than Link to rack up damage, as he'll have difficulty recovering.

B attacks - These are all summons

Neutral B - Briar

A charge psynergy that shoots three spiny thorns upwards. Covers him from 60 to 120 degrees. The longer her charges, the farther they go. Effective anti-air attack, but useless against grounded enemies -- but it does have hitbox when overlapping enemies. Does not have significant knockback and only has moderate damage.
I like everything else except the above. Maybe I am just understanding it wrong. So the spikes would cover from 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock? And could you explain what you mean when you say "have a bitbox when overlapping enemies? When you say "useless against grounded enemies" do you mean like it has poor forward range but extends well into the air? (Assuming it is for anti-air purposes.) Otherwise, I can see it good for comboing if it has little knockback.

Alternatively I would suggest having his Neutral B being Golem Fist attack from the Trainer Class set, Grand Golem. Isaac would draw back and clench his left fist to charge. Upon release a large Golem Fist fires forward about 4 or 5 character spaces forward. Basically, a projectile version of DK's Giant Punch, just not as strong.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
No offense anti guy but the moveset is making me kind of anti hype. I guess I don't have a good enough grasp of the character since I only know of him from the mega man battle network crossovers, but I was expecting more summoning, sword play, and other neat stuff.

Also, and this isn't a dig at you, the character doesn't really seem to have much cohesiveness to his moveset. Like, he has a weird amount of anti airs and launchers, some iffy seeming spacing, and the side smash wolf "summon" isn't what I had in mind when I heard summoning character, let alone that the Usmash and Dsmash just sound weird and unfeasible.

I still really like the character, but if the PMBR did include him I'd hope he went in another direction. Sorry :drshrug:
....Mega Man Battle Network?

And those are literally most of his psynergy attacks right there. He has a few other summons (Troll, etc.), but he's not Yugi-Oh, if that's what you were looking for.

GeZ

Smash Lord
....Mega Man Battle Network?

And those are literally most of his psynergy attacks right there. He has a few other summons (Troll, etc.), but he's not Yugi-Oh, if that's what you were looking for.
Not necessarily that, but like for instance, the wolf coming out instead of just flying out it would like have some special property or fill some roll none of his other moves do that isn't just "knocks back".

Also I edited my last post explaining my confusion.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
I like everything else except the above. Maybe I am just understanding it wrong. So the spikes would cover from 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock? And could you explain what you mean when you say "have a bitbox when overlapping enemies? When you say "useless against grounded enemies" do you mean like it has poor forward range but extends well into the air? (Assuming it is for anti-air purposes.) Otherwise, I can see it good for comboing if it has little knockback.

Alternatively I would suggest having his Neutral B being Golem Fist attack from the Trainer Class set, Grand Golem. Isaac would draw back and clench his left fist to charge. Upon release a large Golem Fist fires forward about 4 or 5 character spaces forward. Basically, a projectile version of DK's Giant Punch, just not as strong.
I meant 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock. By overlapping hitbox I meant like Jigglypuff's Down B. If they're overlapping or very close by, then that's the only way a grounded enemy would get hit.

Grand Golem would work too, but I wanted to get in some Briar too :p And it also overlaps with Demon Night.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Not necessarily that, but like for instance, the wolf coming out instead of just flying out it would like have some special property or fill some roll none of his other moves do that isn't just "knocks back".

Also I edited my last post explaining my confusion.
If you have a better idea, I'm all ears. I didn't make the move terribly complicated because that would be a significant amount of programming for one attack (if it's even possible), I'd imagine.

GeZ

Smash Lord
If you have a better idea, I'm all ears. I didn't make the move terribly complicated because that would be a significant amount of programming for one attack (if it's even possible), I'd imagine.
I getcha. Again, it's good work you put into it, I'm just not personally a fan of the direction. I also tend to shy away from moveset construction because I feel this thread has a minimal impact on what the PMBR does to begin with and making full movelists is like the most redundant thing we can do, but that's a personal opinion deal.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Wow. Isaac is a lot different than I remember... Golden Sun suddenly makes much more sense now.

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
I meant 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock. By overlapping hitbox I meant like Jigglypuff's Down B. If they're overlapping or very close by, then that's the only way a grounded enemy would get hit.

Grand Golem would work too, but I wanted to get in some Briar too :p And it also overlaps with Demon Night.
Could give him a Reflect if not another projectile. I think it was the Djinn Mold that made enemies attack bounce back onto themselves or enemy team mate.

GeZ

Smash Lord
@ GeZ GeZ http://goldensun.wikia.com/wiki/Red_Demon#Red_Demon These are the other Venus monsters he can summon. I picked the wolf instead because it's smaller and would be less of a hassle to program. I can imagine red demons doing things though. Heck, maybe he can even summon the Devil (from the AT) as kind of an homage to that. :p
I just imagined design wise his smash's and tilts would be the magic psyenergy stuff and his B moves would be mostly devoted summons.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
I just imagined design wise his smash's and tilts would be the magic psyenergy stuff and his B moves would be mostly devoted summons.
Oh. Well, like I mentioned to someone else earlier, he's not really much of a summoner in his game. Out of the 8 playable characters by the 2nd game, he's one of the four that's predominantly physical. Most of the time you are buffing his physical attacks, while your Psynergy-based characters actually cast spells. Very, very rarely do you make him use his Psynergy outside of heals and revives. So likewise, his character should be mostly physical, but at least incorporate his Psynergy into his specials and maybe smashes. Sorry if that ruins his hype

Last edited:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
I would hope that the PMBR will eventually at least officially announce a character that they're working on, even if said character would not be released in the next update. As much as Isaac would be really unique and would prove supremely popular, I'd rather it to be Lyn just because if she was in and the PMBR took the MvC3 Vergil/SCIV Setsuka-inspired moveset for her that was posted in the thread, I'd be a whole lot more excited for the possibilities for that, another Fire Emblem character aside (and if Lyn is a character they're working on, she'd be revealed at some point; why not first!).

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
Oh. Well, like I mentioned to someone else earlier, he's not really much of a summoner in his game. Out of the 8 playable characters by the 2nd game, he's one of the four that's predominantly physical. Most of the time you are buffing his physical attacks, while your Psynergy-based characters actually cast spells. Very, very rarely do you make him use his Psynergy outside of heals and revives. So likewise, his character should be mostly physical, but at least incorporate his Psynergy into his specials and maybe smashes. Sorry if that ruins his hype
Anti Guy is right. Fire and Earth adepts had better physical stat growths. This is opposite for Water and Wind adepts who where better in magic abilities. Course, this statement wasn't as true in Dark Dawn, but out of the older games only Peirs really tried to break the mold because his stat growths where a lot more balanced between physical and magical. Even Jenna, who was suppose to be a "caster" has almost enough strength to match Piers most likely because she's a fire adept.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
There isn't a character or anime named Yugi-Oh
The show is Yu-Gi-Oh, the character is just Yugi
Just nitpicking

Isaac would be cool, that moveset is okay, but there are a lot of different directions you could take him in.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
BTW, I just wanted to point out that two totally legitimate Advance Wars reps are "Hetler" and "Billy Gates". If you want proof, search up "Super Famicom Wars COs".

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Q7 (or someone else) was talking about Sami move set potential and really, I keep thinking that the Toy Soldier angle would make for one of the coolest designs you could give her:

Neutral B - Disposable Infantry - Sami releases a unit(units) with a toss upward (think Snake's grenade) that marches forwards with their bayonets out.

Forward B - Rocket Launcher/Bazooka - Fires a faster and longer distance rocket the longer B is held. Can be angled but angled rockets travel a set distance before becoming subject to gravity and falling downward. Explosions have multiple lingering hitboxes for a short period of time.

Downward B - Cover Fire - Generates a soldier in the ground that Sami stands on. Sami stomps one of her infantry sprites into the ground where they then lie in wait. Anything that moves along the same plain or meets their eye level is immediately fired upon as the soldier pokes their head out and fires their gun forward. (Think of Perfect Dark's Laptop Gun, the Colonel Force chip in Megaman Battle Network 6 [another example from the same game], turrets, etc.) If Sami presses this again over the unit she's placed in the ground (noted by their helmets on the field), she'll kick them a certain distance away so as to cover new ground. (Essentially, hockey puck turrets)

Upward B - Helicopter Unit - Generates a Advance Wars GBA helicopter sprite that aids her offensively or for recoveries. When B is pressed, Sami hitches a ride by either comically holding on to the helicopter's handles despite the size difference (the helicopter isn't much bigger than her upper body) or hangs off of a rope ladder released out of the contraption. When B is held, Sami calls a helicopter that hovers for a few seconds while pointing downward at a 60 degree angle. If an opponent wonders into its line of fire, the helicopter unloads a hail of fire from the air for a few seconds before vanishing. Pressing Up B again forces it to disappear. Holding the B calls it to hover over the new position Sami issued the call from. While this Helicopter is out, Sami is unable to use the unit for recovery. The unit also disappears/is destroyed by opponent's offense.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Cover Fire
You may already know this, but this is the name of a Super CO Power used by Rachel in Advance Wars: Dual Strike.

I was actually thinking of giving her some sort of APC move. Just like in the game, it would serve as a faster form of transportation, but it can be destroyed easily. In the game, whatever unit loaded into the APC is killed along with the APC, but for Smash terms, it would just be a small explosion that damaged you a little.

In the game it would automatically carry you in the direction you used it, and you could exit by jumping/ducking at any time. If it hits an enemy it will explode, damaging everyone near it, including you. For balancing purposes, it would disappear after a certain distance once you exit it, and couldn't fall of the ledge (so it couldn't be one of the cheapest edge guards in the history of everything)

Last edited:

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
>Sami movesets

THAT'S MY FETI-

>this toy soldier thing

nooot what i was expecting.

I have been playing advance wars 2 again, and it implies very often that the COs are on the field, despite not being able to control them directly.

I'd much rather her getting some of snake's old moves (forward smash RPG, nikita missle without remote control) skinned as one of the orange star mech unit's rocket launchers. I have trouble thinking of an appropriate replacement to the cipher tho. perhaps she could rocket jump with the rocket launcher, ala the TF2 Soldier.

aw1originalartworkart01.jpg

missle spam, HOO RAH.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
We need more Rocket Jumping in life.

I dunno if I have a downvote on her.

1/2 vote Sami
Even though I'd mostly rather see Andy, Sami is still one of my favorite CO's. If it weren't for the fact that Andy is the poster boy and that he can borrow wrench play from Ratchet, I probably wouldn't have voted for him.

He's kinda...lame...now that I think about it.

I wouldn't want Sami to be a complete Snake clone, though. Anything involving Rockets and Missles is fine, but anything beyond that should be original, imo.

Last edited:

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
We need more Rocket Jumping in life.

I dunno if I have a downvote on her.

1/2 vote Sami
Even though I'd mostly rather see Andy, Sami is still one of my favorite CO's. If it weren't for the fact that Andy is the poster boy and that he can borrow wrench play from Ratchet, I probably wouldn't have voted for him.

He's kinda...lame...now that I think about it.

I wouldn't want Sami to be a complete Snake clone, though. Anything involving Rockets and Missles is fine, but anything beyond that should be original, imo.
it's what i've always thought. Andy's not so much the poster boy of advance wars as he is the training wheels of Orange star, who, COMBINED, are the "stars" of advance wars. his units incur no bonuses or penalties, and his CO powers are pretty straightforward. he's a... mechanic, while, as it's been said previously, Sami benefits from being depicted as a lot more "hands on" in her art. hell, Max makes a more interesting choice than Andy does IMO. Ganon clone? jokes.

if the rest of the clone engine characters are as different from their base as mewtwo is from lucario, I think we can rest assured she (hypothetically) won't be too similar. hell, a roy-to-marth difference still sounds good.

Last edited:

Rasgar

Smash Apprentice
in another note i dont get why people call this the "Forbidden Seven" sounds cliche to me, why not call the "The Seven PM Wonders" or "The Seven Wonders of PM" or something else. i dont see how they are Forbidden in anyway.
That's not what the forbidden seven is. It is used to refer to the unused, incomplete character data from Brawl: http://www.ssbwiki.com/Beta_elements_(SSBB)#Scrapped_characters

Though this is what allows the PM guys to add in seven characters. So they're related, but not the same thing.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
@ Solbliminal Solbliminal , curious, what would Ashley (WarioWare) be like in Project M to you?
She would basically be a magic user who makes Nintendo references. Maybe using magic from other franchises, or perhaps summoning Nintendo characters (In the form of sprites maybe?) that act independently. Like the Waddle Dee and Waddle Doo that K. Dedede throw.

Last edited:

Insanity's Bane

Smash Rookie
I just want to insert my thoughts on a couple of things. I'm trying to be as conservative with my downvotes as much as I can but with some of the fairly recent posts I can't help but feel a little distasteful about these things.

-1 Knuckles (and by extension all third-party characters)
I don't hate Knuckles as a character. I don't think he has a lack of potential. I think he would be a good candidate to represent the Sonic series, next to Tails. But that's the problem. Knuckles (and any other Sonic character for that matter) is third-party, and I personally feel as if Sonic is enough third-party representation for the game. This is clearly just a personal preference and nothing more, as I think I'm one of the few(?) people who thinks Snake's inclusion in Smash was strange and surreal, even to this day. I've nothing against Snake or how he plays but seeing Solid Snake running around with a bunch of Nintendo characters just seems... off-putting. I'd rather a clone engine slot be used by a Nintendo character rather than a third-party.

-1 Pichu
Time spent on Pichu is time wasted. Project M already has seven PokéReps. If they do decide to add another one, why not choose one that has had some sort of significance on the series as a whole? Like, say, Dragonite.

Maybe it's just me or maybe I'm not looking hard enough, but I don't see what Pichu (or "Pichu Bros." for that matter) could bring to the table that other characters already don't.

ChiePet

*~About That BASS.~*
NNID
ChiePet
She would basically be a magic user who makes Nintendo references. Maybe using magic from other franchises, or perhaps summoning Nintendo characters (In the form of sprites maybe?) that act independently. Like the Waddle Dee and Waddle Doo that K. Dedede throw.
I could see that, I'd think to escape any kind of back fire she'd be floaty, decent speed, and maybe falco-height Jump/SH differences.

Either way, as long as she says "Hocus Pocus" during any of her moves, I'm sold.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I could see that, I'd think to escape any kind of back fire she'd be floaty, decent speed, and maybe falco-height Jump/SH differences.

Either way, as long as she says "Hocus Pocus" during any of her moves, I'm sold.
Or as a taunt. Ashely is a pretty good choice all around though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom