• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Sooo how about dat Saki Amamiya guys? A run and gunner/gun kata practitioner with Vanquish level mobility sounds right up my alley and seeing as how he can also Melee people at close enough range, he has some decent potential for a mixed move set. I might give it a shot a bit later.

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
Sooo how about dat Saki Amamiya guys? A run and gunner/gun kata practitioner with Vanquish level mobility sounds right up my alley and seeing as how he can also Melee people at close enough range, he has some decent potential for a mixed move set. I might give it a shot a bit later.
I don't know much about Saki but a close to mid range character with a gun and a sword sounds interesting. So what would be a good base for the character? I'm thinking ZSS is the best one to choose because of her particle gun and acrobatics. What do you guys think?

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Snake already holds a knife, how hard can it be to change it to a wrench? (I'm not sure if it's possible to have two of them, but I'm guessing it's just a model attached to a bone, which turns invisible unless the animation needs it?) Obviously he'd use different animations than Snake, but so would Sami. The term 'clone' is not as limiting as you make it sound.

Moreover, to become a commanding officer, I'm sure all of the characters have had some kind of military training. I'm sure Andy can hold a gun or throw a grenade, even if he's not as experienced as Sami.
Except it is. I keep mentioning this over and over again, but don't forget the workload they have to do. And #1 on that is animations. If we're talking about cloning in the melee sense, then Snake does not work at all. Just because he has a knife, that does not translate to a wrench because it's a handheld weapon. I suggested Pit because his sword animations actually work well with a wrench, so that would reduce the workload tremendously.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
If Feirce Deity Link was in, his CG icon should look somewhat like this to make him look godly (which he is).

If he had a costume, it would be Caped Deity. Obviously. :p

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
BLACK KNIGHT FIRE EMBLEM!!!
Epic...:shades:
I swear if Ike doesn't get his Lord promotion look from Path of Radiance as his main Project M alt... It will be one of the biggest disappointments ever. :(

I don't know much about Saki but a close to mid range character with a gun and a sword sounds interesting. So what would be a good base for the character? I'm thinking ZSS is the best one to choose because of her particle gun and acrobatics. What do you guys think?
ZSS is actually the best base for Saki in my mind since on top of having the 2-in-1 Paralyzer/Whip and acrobatics, it probably would take the lowest amount of effort to change certain properties to make the character work. I'm going to get started on writing up the move set and see what happens.

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
Except it is. I keep mentioning this over and over again, but don't forget the workload they have to do. And #1 on that is animations. If we're talking about cloning in the melee sense, then Snake does not work at all. Just because he has a knife, that does not translate to a wrench because it's a handheld weapon. I suggested Pit because his sword animations actually work well with a wrench, so that would reduce the workload tremendously.
Okay, but the same is true for Sami. Sami would clone well from Snake because of the many articles and military based specials, but not for his animations. The majority of Snake's animations would be out of character for Sami.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Okay, but the same is true for Sami. Sami would clone well from Snake because of the many articles and military based specials, but not for his animations. The majority of Snake's animations would be out of character for Sami.
They re-do all of the animations from scratch regardless.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Wb solbliminal
Much thanks. I got back from my trip to my hometown yesterday. Feeling a lot better than I was before. Lets hope it stays that way. I'll spare the details of my trip so we can keep the ball rolling instead of being off topic. Did I miss anything worth mentioning?

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
No, they don't. If they can take shortcuts by re-using animations, they will.
From the OP,

"6. According to P:M staff member cmart, current PSA's won't affect character chances because regardless, a character will be built up from scratch."

So, while my statement was overly broad and you're probably correct, they will also be working from the ground up regardless with regard to moveset and things. As Mewtwo shows compared to Lucario, misfitting animations are by no means a strong deterrent.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
From the OP,

"6. According to P:M staff member cmart, current PSA's won't affect character chances because regardless, a character will be built up from scratch."

So, while my statement was overly broad and you're probably correct, they will also be working from the ground up regardless with regard to moveset and things. As Mewtwo shows compared to Lucario, misfitting animations are by no means a strong deterrent.
Working from scratch doesn't have to mean they can't barrow animations if need be. Besides. A lot of that statement was directed mostly towards the models they make for the characters, and the fact they won't use other pre-established PSAs to make their movesets.

Last edited:

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
They re-do all of the animations from scratch regardless.
It's also worth mentioning that the process of making new animations has been streamlined since Mewtwo was completed. They were previously restricted to editing existing animations, but now it's possible to import new animations from Maya, similar to the workflow for any other video game. The 700 hours of mantime estimate is no longer accurate.

Working from scratch doesn't have to mean they can't barrow animations if need be. Besides. A lot of that statement was directed mostly towards the models they make for the characters, and the fact they won't use other pre-established PSAs to make their movesets.
Even in the case of reused animations (ex: giving Sami Snake's grenade or Nikita), the Advance Wars characters have different proportions so those animations would have to be tweaked to compensate

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Even in the case of reused animations (ex: giving Sami Snake's grenade or Nikita), the Advance Wars characters have different proportions so those animations would have to be tweaked to compensate
Cmart pretty much cleared that up already too though. If it would take them very little time to make Pichu, it would go without saying that making Snake's animations fit Sami would hardly be a task for them.

Last edited:

MLGF

Smash Lord
Hey... is Louie in Brawl?
Not gonna lie, seeing an Olimar like character that's more offensive sounds pretty fun.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Hey... is Louie in Brawl?
Not gonna lie, seeing an Olimar like character that's more offensive sounds pretty fun.
He is a trophy and possibly a sticker. But to me, Louie would be a pretty huge buzzkill to Project M in my honest opinion.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
He would make for the villian rep. of Pikmin.
Pretty sure Olimar does that on his own by sacrificing all the Pikmin for his own personal gain. Louie is just an idiot who does the same, but makes it harder for Olimar to accomplish anything. If anything he is causing less Pikmin casualties by being a moron.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
So I wanna bring this up since I remembered... My step dad bought me a game while I was gone. He found it at some yard sale for like...$2 or something. He had no idea what it was. But when I got back and looked at it myself, I realized he bought me a Fire Emblem game. Specifically Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon. So now I'm going to take the time and play it so I can actually have an opinion on this series.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
So I wanna bring this up since I remembered... My step dad bought me a game while I was gone. He found it at some yard sale for like...$2 or something. He had no idea what it was. But when I got back and looked at it myself, I realized he bought me a Fire Emblem game. Specifically Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon. So now I'm going to take the time and play it so I can actually have an opinion on this series.
Man, i tried to get in Fire Emblem series by playing that game, but idk, it felt like a very bland remake, so now i'm going to try FE7, hope you have fun with SD though.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Man, i tried to get in Fire Emblem series by playing that game, but idk, it felt like a very bland remake, so now i'm going to try FE7, hope you have fun with SD though.
I figured as much. It felt like an extremely bland remake the moment I booted it up. But I'm not one to judge based on appearance. I'm giving this game a chance to understand how Fire Emblem games are. And if the others are anything like this particular game, I can immediately tell if I will or will not get the type of enjoyment anyone else does from games like this.

But so far, it feels like extreme chess. A game where you have everything to lose by making a single mistake. And from what I can tell, Famicom Wars runs on a similar system of gameplay. If I end up not liking Fire Emblem, I certainly won't like the Wars series either.

Last edited:

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Have you ever played a TRPG before? They really aren't for everyone, so I wouldn't be surprised if you have to end up dropping the game. I haven't yet beaten SD yet. I'm really far but I've been playing on H3 mode (since H5 or Merciless is ridiculous) and it's really hard to get back into the game after leaving it for so long.

Raijinken

Smash Master
A remake of the original. Bear in mind it's a remake of an NES game. That said, if you like it, you should like the rest of the series. If you don't, well, don't take it as the norm for the series.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Have you ever played a TRPG before? They really aren't for everyone, so I wouldn't be surprised if you have to end up dropping the game. I haven't yet beaten SD yet. I'm really far but I've been playing on H3 mode (since H5 or Merciless is ridiculous) and it's really hard to get back into the game after leaving it for so long.
I've played a few TRPG games, but none I've enjoyed so far. But that could be said about any RPG I play really. A lot of the RPGs have a hard time catching my appeal, no matter what style, story, or unique aspects they bring. It really is just a matter of enjoying that particular genre. Though, I can honestly say I love the Tales Of series. And I'm quite fond of Elsword Online. So most of my RPG choices come from having immediate player control over my characters.

A remake of the original. Bear in mind it's a remake of an NES game. That said, if you like it, you should like the rest of the series. If you don't, well, don't take it as the norm for the series.
I'm well aware of what it means to be a remake and certain games in a series can be better than another. But if I'm not going to get any particular enjoyment of the style of gameplay I'm playing, I know I won't enjoy it any better than another installment. It is like playing Pokemon. You know what to expect when you play a Pokemon game. Despite what features they add, it is still the same way it has been for years. And I can flat out tell you I don't enjoy Pokemon anymore. It is just boring to me.

Shin F.

Smash Master
From the OP,

Current PSAs refers to PSAs not made by PMBR, like the Waluigi PSA or the Dark Samus PSA. "From scratch" just means they won't borrow from other peoples' work.

From the PMBR's Clone Engine Blogpost:
"This is why clones or partial clones are so appealing – by limiting the number of new animations created it cuts down the amount of time required substantially. That's not to say that new characters are entirely off limits, but the most viable proposals often start off of the base of another character."
Also guys, why haven't you all picked a PM main?, there are now PM Main icons.
I had no idea! I'll have to do that!

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Actually, Sol, I was gone the past week and you DID miss something kinda big: Vigilante posted his opinions on what an ideal Smash roster would be, whether it's Smash 4 or Project M.

He was very amicable and open-minded, and his opinions were all really cool.

Other than that people started to hilariously argue canonical strength before dropping the subject.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
My hometown gameshop actually just got into Project M. I got to play a lot of doubles with friends, and let me tell you.... It was pretty damn rad. Me and my pal were running Roy and Ike, then Sonic and Sonic. It was great.

Actually, Sol, I was gone the past week and you DID miss something kinda big: Vigilante posted his opinions on what an ideal Smash roster would be, whether it's Smash 4 or Project M.

Other than that people started to hilariously argue canonical strength before dropping the subject.
I actually saw that much. I never miss a post from the PMBR. Especially if that post includes positive words towards Custom Robo. Vig is pretty awesome, no doubt.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion

However when asked about Condor he avoided the subject. What are you hiding, Vigilante?
#CondorNation #Confirmed #TurboTuesdaysSeason2

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I've played a few TRPG games, but none I've enjoyed so far. But that could be said about any RPG I play really. A lot of the RPGs have a hard time catching my appeal, no matter what style, story, or unique aspects they bring.
Those are fighting wor--
Though, I can honestly say I love the Tales Of series.
...You get to live.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Current PSAs refers to PSAs not made by PMBR, like the Waluigi PSA or the Dark Samus PSA. "From scratch" just means they won't borrow from other peoples' work.

From the PMBR's Clone Engine Blogpost:
"This is why clones or partial clones are so appealing – by limiting the number of new animations created it cuts down the amount of time required substantially. That's not to say that new characters are entirely off limits, but the most viable proposals often start off of the base of another character."
Well there you have it, thanks for backing it up instead of going "Nah you're wrong".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom