• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Book Jacket

Smash Apprentice
1. Black Shadow / Ganondorf
2. Ridley
3. Dark Samus
4. Isaac
5. Ray MK III

I almost voted for Lyn, but there are so many swords already. There are about as many projectile characters as sword / disjoint characters, but there's also a lot more room for diversity with projectiles. Not to say that swords don't have diversity, but - you know - less.

Also, Ganondorf would be pretty dang awesome with a trident. I have no idea if that's possible, and I don't care about that detail as much as I care about Ganondorf having a unique moveset in general.

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
You want Isaac and Ganondorf with a trident

But no, Lyn is one sword too many

Book Jacket

Smash Apprentice
You want Isaac and Ganondorf with a trident

But no, Lyn is one sword too many
I can excuse Ganondorf with personal preference and the fact that a trident is very different from a sword, and Golden Sun doesn't have representation. Other than that, you have a very valid point.

Reminder: Ganondorf never uses a trident.
You're right, but the trident is still way cooler than the swords. Fox and Falco don't use reflectors outside of Smash, so I don't see the harm in a little creativity.

Ondo

Smash Apprentice
Okay so because I'm a nerd who loves Alt Costumes almost as much as new characters, I decided to look into various options for Lyn's Alt
There are 3 other female protagonists in FE besides Lyn
You left out Eirika:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Eirika's outfit could work for Lyn. Maybe with a little reworking, but I think it'd look fine.

Still prefer Lucina and Celica.

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
This thread has dwindled as of late of its salt and fire. I'll take the heat of initial instigator.

Anyone who wants even a single new FE or Mother char. in PM has a butt for a face and a face for a butt.

And anyone who thinks Ridley is cool is anatomically made up of doodoo.

Last edited:

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
I dont really want any mother/earthbound characters.

But id be fine with another fe character

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
I'm honestly a little surprised Ike is in S4.

Hey does anybody know how many newcomers in Brawl were not revealed until after release?

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
Wait so none of those characters were on the update site before the game actually came out? No wait, I recall Dorf being revealed ahead of release-- maybe I'm wrong.

If you're right about these, though, it means... essentially FOUR newcomers were left to be discovered by players themselves, counting Toon Link as unique to be generous. Dorf wasn't a clone though so, hm, maybe count him too.

I'm just trying to get a feel for how many more new char's we can expect. I'd be happy with 3 more unique ones provided none of the vets were dumped.

Edit: Is it october yet..?

Last edited:

Rasgar

Smash Apprentice
This thread has dwindled as of late of its salt and fire. I'll take the heat of initial instigator.

Anyone who wants even a single new FE or Mother char. in PM has a butt for a face and a face for a butt.

You wouldn't say those words so casually if you what people like myself have to go through. Try to imagine typing on your keyboard while holding your entire weight on your elbows, which are balanced on the table. Then you have to rotate your body to point your lower back at the keyboard and screen (it's a little easier if you're good at keyboarding). Does that sound like fun to you?

Fire Emblem FTW.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859

Well, I completely agree on the first point. Dem series don't need no more representation.

I think Metroid is short on representation, and I think Ridley is flipping cool, but I'm not sure I think Ridley is the best choice for project M. Between the possibility that he's still playable in sm4sh, and his uniqueness, I think it would be quite an undertaking to get him right. We already know Dark Samus isn't playable in sm4sh, it's honestly an interesting character and good choice for PM, imo.

But I would still be ecstatic if they added ridley xD

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
Random topic, I get kind of excited of the potential of a modern, high-graphic redesign of Black Shadow. I feel more can be added to his outfit while obviously staying true to its gist. Just more detail, you know? Maybe something that doesn't make him look so much like a power ranger. Keep the mini-cape though I like that.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

What about Golden Sun fans? Are they cool?:p

You left out Eirika:
Eirika!Lyn costume would definitely be great.

Last edited:

MattCon5

Smash Rookie
Just a thought, because I saw talk a few pages back about what character would be cloned for Skull Kid if he was put in the game. Has anyone considered Diddy? My completely random speculation could see Skull Kid having a really similar neutral-b with deku nuts, and a similar up-b recovery.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
We're talking potential Lyn alts? Assuming her base model looks exactly like her FE7 art, she needs Awakening art style (those fuzzy boots and shawl man) or Princess Elincia from FE9. Erika is fine too. I'd almost say Nephenee would be a great choice too if it weren't for the fact that Lyn is all sword and 'nee's a spear user.

Edit: So how are Takamaru and Lip doing in the votes now?
Edit 2: I'm bored so in about 10 minutes I'm going to make a pretty detailed move set post for Lyn & Takamaru simply because I want to know what the thread would think about my take on both characters. I want a goddamned samurai in Smash game play and I won't stop until we get one. :p

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
-1 Lyn - Fire Emblem still isn't that big of a series and 3 characters is more than sufficient, especially in comparison to other series like Metroid and DK which dwarf FE. Lyn is also another sword wielder and having 4 sword users would be terrible representation of Fire emblem as a whole.

-1 Hector - See Lyn
Yeah sorry, not actual literal size. But the size of the fanbase due to its popularity. It would be very strange to me if Fire Emblem got a fourth rep and DK and Metroid went without a third. DK and Metroid should get priority for a third rep regardless.

And I still think the fourth sword user argument is valid, not because of playstyle cos I'm sure Lyn would have a different playstyle, but because 4 sword users is not a good representation of a series that is all about characters with different classes and weaponry. I like Fire Emblem but I want the characters in smash to do the series justice.
I would be infinitely in favor of a mage (Soren, since he's probably the most story-prominent mage in the series) or other weapon user. It's just unfortunate that the vast majority of the main characters (all but Ephraim), and thus most popular characters, are sword-users. Even Hector can be treated as a sword user after promotion, though I'm pretty sure that would be blasphemy from a representation standpoint.

Of course, there's always Avatar from Awakening for Swords AND Magic. But I'm still praying he/she gets added to Smash4.

And besides, the only people who like Metroid more than Fire Emblem are people who haven't played Fire Emblem :bee:

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
Wait so none of those characters were on the update site before the game actually came out? No wait, I recall Dorf being revealed ahead of release-- maybe I'm wrong.

If you're right about these, though, it means... essentially FOUR newcomers were left to be discovered by players themselves, counting Toon Link as unique to be generous. Dorf wasn't a clone though so, hm, maybe count him too.

I'm just trying to get a feel for how many more new char's we can expect. I'd be happy with 3 more unique ones provided none of the vets were dumped.

Edit: Is it october yet..?
It was a bit odd since we were initially getting the game before Japan. Then they delayed it, so anyone who didn't just Youtube it could have still gone on Dojo to see them before release. I'm pretty sure (note that this is off of memory from near eight years ago) that all of them but Wolf were available to review on Dojo before the game reached America.

MLGF

Smash Lord
I've never played Celica's game, but Celica's Gale is so delightfully borked that it trivializes Awakening's Lunatic by itself. Do support as Lyn alt.
Lording hasn't played FE2.
Lordling confirmed fraud.

I challenge you to a LTC run of FE9 followed by three sets in which we all do FE character dittos, all of which are best out of 5, for 100$. It'll be like 4chan vs SJW.

Real talk though, I think if Lyn were in, Micaiah has the most interesting and pleasant pallet.

Last edited:

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
The old Celica design looks like a splendid idea for a Lyn alt if she gets in.

Uh....I am currently NOT in the possession of a Guy and Ninian created 12 page move set....Nope. Nothing at all....

Raijinken

Smash Master
Lording hasn't played FE2.
Lordling confirmed fraud.

I challenge you to a LTC run of FE9 followed by three sets in which we all do FE character dittos, all of which are best out of 5, for 100$. It'll be like 4chan vs SJW.

Real talk though, I think if Lyn were in, Micaiah has the most interesting and pleasant pallet.
Micaiah has a decent outfit but she doesn't use weapons.

That said, wouldn't mind her as a clone engine character (except she's my least favorite main character in the series).

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
The old Celica design looks like a splendid idea for a Lyn alt if she gets in.

Uh....I am currently NOT in the possession of a Guy and Ninian created 12 page move set....Nope. Nothing at all....
What is WRONG with you people??
Micaiah has a decent outfit but she doesn't use weapons.

That said, wouldn't mind her as a clone engine character (except she's my least favorite main character in the series).
She seems interesting but if she fights with magic she may be like, way too much like Zelda. I mean whatever maybe that's okay.

Raijinken

Smash Master
What is WRONG with you people??

She seems interesting but if she fights with magic she may be like, way too much like Zelda. I mean whatever maybe that's okay.
I wouldn't mind having someone similar to Zelda though. We've got enough pseudoclones with the Emblemers, Motherlings, Spacefurries, and Links anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom