• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spleenhunter

Smash Cadet
So I would like to make a confession and a vote. I realized that I was taking Ridley for granted, thinking, "oh he'll definitely be in Smash 4. He's too big to fail". But when he wasn't revealed at E3, I was actually disappointed. Then I realized something. He is too big in my heart to be ignored:
+1 for Ridley!

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
So I would like to make a confession and a vote. I realized that I was taking Ridley for granted, thinking, "oh he'll definitely be in Smash 4. He's too big to fail". But when he wasn't revealed at E3, I was actually disappointed. Then I realized something. He is too big in my heart to be ignored:
+1 for Ridley!
As Vin Diesel once said whilst discussing his penis, size doesn't matter.

Go Ridley.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
+1 for Blobfish (see avi for picture): He's probably one of the most underrated Pokemon in existence, nobody even talks about him! Which is so sad because he has such good stats, especially when trained properly. He has probably the best typing in the game, making him strong against the majority of OU. He also has so many diverse moves to draw from like Hyper Beam (Final Smash), Fly (Up-B), Giga Impact (Side-B and aerial Down-B, works like Wario's bash), and Double Team (Down-B, works like ice climbers for 30 seconds). Of course these are only my suggestions, feel free to post your own.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Hey, since Isaac is the only sword user people want really... can he get a shine.
I mean, if Lyn gets in she needs to get a counter. Unwritten rule.

I want a sword character with a shine, we need something more obscene then WOOP.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
1 Vote
Bowser Jr.
1/2 Vote
Lyn
-1 Vote
Dark Samus
Okay, understandable. Just so you know you have to provide a reason for your downvote. Also, is that all who you are voting for? You have 5 upvotes and infinite 1/2 and downvotes. If you haven't read it yet I'd recommend checking the OP for rules and other potential candidates.

KingJacob

Smash Apprentice
I would like to vote for the following 5 characters:

1. Ray MK III
2. King K Rool
3. Tetra
4. Saki
5. Lyn

I would rather have 1 truly unique character than 5 clones. It is more important to me to have a new game-play option than it is to represent series through clones. I realize that Lyn and Tetra less unique, but I really like Tetra and feel like she could still be made very different than any current Zeld rep. Meanwhile, I picture Lyn as being a sword fighter with shorter range normals than any other sword fighter, but quick and unpredictable movement to make up for it.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Hey, since Isaac is the only sword user people want really... can he get a shine.
I mean, if Lyn gets in she needs to get a counter. Unwritten rule.

I want a sword character with a shine, we need something more obscene then WOOP.
That actually wouldn't be a half bad idea. Although I know very little about Golden Sun or Isaac, so I can't really say my opinion matters.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Non elemental psyenergy can be pretty inconsistent, so I don't think it's too out there.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I feel like there are plenty of Psynergy options to give Isaac a shine.

Oh and, yay Ridley and whatnot, Ridley 4 PM, etc. etc.

Last edited:

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
Instead of a shine, I could instead see Isaac having some sort of Earth/Plant-based wall, a defensive ability to block attacks instead of reflecting them. Maybe even set up stationary walls of earth that can remain on screen, thus acting as an environmental hindrance for characters trying to rush in for an attack, now they have to attack the wall, or hop over it, slowing them down. Could chain nicely if Isaac also has an attack that can hit mid-range at an upper 45 degree angle maybe?

PlasmaPuffball

Smash Apprentice
3 Votes: Bowser Jr., Ridley, King K. Rool

-1 Vote: Dark Samus

Reasoning: Metroid is underrepresented at this point, and out of the two villains, I'd have to say Ridley is much more fitting for the slot. He has a much more deep relationship with Samus than Dark Samus, is more prominent in the series, and is probably the second most important character, with Dark Samus being the third.

TRJV

Smash Journeyman
-1 Vote: Dark Samus

Reasoning: Metroid is underrepresented at this point, and out of the two villains, I'd have to say Ridley is much more fitting for the slot. He has a much more deep relationship with Samus than Dark Samus, is more prominent in the series, and is probably the second most important character, with Dark Samus being the third.
You can't downvote someone only because you want someone else to make the cut. Think of a better reason.

Last edited:

PlasmaPuffball

Smash Apprentice
3. Each unique poster can down vote any number of characters. Only down vote if you're actually AGAINST the character being in. If you're indifferent, just don't vote on that character. This will be also be tallied on a separate count rather than subtracting against the up votes. This is to differentiate actual opposition from just indifference to a character. Note: From now on, it is required to give an explanation (it doesn't have to be long, it can be brief as long as it's reasonable) for all anti votes. Otherwise they won't be tallied. This is to try to keep things honest and not use these votes to play the numbers.
You can't downvote someone only because you want someone else to make the cut.
Wasn't really downvoting solely because I don't want Dark Samus to make the cut above Ridley. I'm against her being in, as the rules state to downvote if you are against someone being in. And I stated I'm against her being in because Ridley is a better representation of Metroid's antagonists, in my opinion, despite being harder to create. Metroid's only had 1 representative throughout the whole Smash series despite the Metroid franchise's popularity and longevity. I think the main protagonist and her arch-nemesis that she has encountered throughout the whole series would be good to represent it after all these years, instead of Dark Samus, who only had the spotlight in Prime 2 and 3 (only made a short cameo as Dark Samus at the end of Prime 1).

I'd be downvoting Waluigi, Toad, and Paper Mario if I went by your logic. I want Bowser Jr. more than any other character, but I'm not going to just downvote all other Mario characters solely to increase his chances of making it in. I'd also be downvoting Dixie Kong, but even though I want K. Rool more, I'm not going to downvote her just to increase the chances of it happening. That'd be kinda silly.

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
Had an idea for a special move for Lyn. Bit of a read so grab a cookie.

Instead of having a counter like the other FE reps, she could get a parry. It would function the exact same way. You get hit while the move is active and you execute an attack except hers wouldn't execute any sort of damaging attack, but rather her sword would just clank with the other characters attack leaving both of them vulnerable. Neither character would receive or lose damage, and neither character would get any sort of frame advantage (Probably a nightmare to code but could it be possible for her to get the same amount of endlag as the character she clanked with for balance?). Both characters would just end up facing each other creating a very tense moment for the players. I was thinking the move would be similar to wario's neutral special in that she could hold it out for a set period of time then it would deactivate on it's own.

I'm also thinking the move should have two variations, an instant and a delayed. Instant would be just the tap of the special button makes her ready to parry very early on for a set number of frames, (like early enough to parry a shine) while the delayed gives her a bit more startup but allows her to hold the attack open for as long as possible.(x frames before it auto deactivates.) Both would have the same amount of cooldown. Why the variation? Mixups :). While she is in the parrying state, like wario's neutral special she would be locked to that state and position with no possible way of canceling it or moving out of it other than just ending the animation. If she lands an instant maybe she turns the other character around with the option of turning herself around. If she lands a regular one she just clanks with the other character.

It's uses are numerous. First and foremost she could use it when in a tight situation. Supposing she's in shield against (hopefully a crappy) multishining fox she could jump oos and activate this move which would absolutely DESTROY (with emphasis on the D) that poor fox player's momentum. Secondly she could use it to bait alot. Not only can she force other players to be patient when shes being combo'd but she could easily interrupt a rapid jab. Thirdly she could use it as a pressuring tool. Suppose she's mid combo and the other character goes for a getup attack. BAM. Nope, not only is your getup attack stuffed but your not even looking at me so your chance at regaining momentum is down whatever drain your getup attack is in. Fourth use is gimping. Falco decided to double jump and throw a dair at you? F#$% him AND his dair with this move. On the downside you'll both be freefalling while awkwardly looking at each other but hey at least you didn't get dumpstered. Fifth use. Momentum reversal. Getting combo'd? Nope not anymore. Free hits as long as your quicker than whoever your fighting or they have no idea wtf just happened.

Those were just 5 off the top of my head without any practical application, I'm sure there would be plenty more options with something like this in the right hands.

Final thing i'm gonna say. "Sounds broken." Well....kind of but not really. All it does is stops and resets anyone that interacts with her during the animation. It lacks any sort of use against projectiles and it doesn't even do any damage or knockback or anything. It really just resets the offensive/defensive play back to a very tightly spaced neutral with neither character having an advantage. Depending on who she's fighting she might have made a bad choice resetting the other character. She also is locked while using the move so it's not hard to not attack. Plus if she spams it...just grab her.

/trainofthought

So uhm.....thoughts?

Last edited:

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
Had an idea for a special move for Lyn. Bit of a read so grab a cookie.

Instead of having a counter like the other FE reps, she could get a parry. It would function the exact same way. You get hit while the move is active and you execute an attack except hers wouldn't execute any sort of damaging attack, but rather her sword would just clank with the other characters attack leaving both of them vulnerable. Neither character would receive or lose damage, and neither character would get any sort of frame advantage (Probably a nightmare to code but could it be possible for her to get the same amount of endlag as the character she clanked with for balance?). Both characters would just end up facing each other creating a very tense moment for the players. I was thinking the move would be similar to wario's neutral special in that she could hold it out for a set period of time then it would deactivate on it's own.

I'm also thinking the move should have two variations, an instant and a delayed. Instant would be just the tap of the special button makes her ready to parry very early on for a set number of frames, (like early enough to parry a shine) while the delayed gives her a bit more startup but allows her to hold the attack open for as long as possible.(x frames before it auto deactivates.) Both would have the same amount of cooldown. Why the variation? Mixups :). While she is in the parrying state, like wario's neutral special she would be locked to that state and position with no possible way of canceling it or moving out of it other than just ending the animation. If she lands an instant maybe she turns the other character around with the option of turning herself around. If she lands a regular one she just clanks with the other character.

It's uses are numerous. First and foremost she could use it when in a tight situation. Supposing she's in shield against (hopefully a crappy) multishining fox she could jump oos and activate this move which would absolutely DESTROY (with emphasis on the D) that poor fox player's momentum. Secondly she could use it to bait alot. Not only can she force other players to be patient when shes being combo'd but she could easily interrupt a rapid jab. Thirdly she could use it as a pressuring tool. Suppose she's mid combo and the other character goes for a getup attack. BAM. Nope, not only is your getup attack stuffed but your not even looking at me so your chance at regaining momentum is down whatever drain your getup attack is in. Fourth use is gimping. Falco decided to double jump and throw a dair at you? F#$% him AND his dair with this move. On the downside you'll both be freefalling while awkwardly looking at each other but hey at least you didn't get dumpstered. Fifth use. Momentum reversal. Getting combo'd? Nope not anymore. Free hits as long as your quicker than whoever your fighting or they have no idea wtf just happened.

Those were just 5 off the top of my head without any practical application, I'm sure there would be plenty more options with something like this in the right hands.

Final thing i'm gonna say. "Sounds broken." Well....kind of but not really. All it does is stops and resets anyone that interacts with her during the animation. It lacks any sort of use against projectiles and it doesn't even do any damage or knockback or anything. It really just resets the offensive/defensive play back to a very tightly spaced neutral with neither character having an advantage. Depending on who she's fighting she might have made a bad choice resetting the other character. She also is locked while using the move so it's not hard to not attack. Plus if she spams it...just grab her.

/trainofthought

So uhm.....thoughts?
If she has Fox-like fall speed, then this move would only end up being useful for reads, which would be ideal. However, having a move that only resets the situation to neutral (which is pretty much what Marth's counter does) would make this pretty useless. She'd need some sort of frame-advantage for this to be useful if she were a fast-faller. If she has a slow fall speed, then it'd basically be a crappy version of Nayru's (the panic/anti-hype button), where you just spam it while in hitstun to avoid getting combo'd EVER. That's no fun, and I don't think that kind of play suits Lyn anyway.

Basically, I like the idea, but only if she's a fast faller, so she can't just spam it and get out of 90% of combo attempts. If she were to be given frame advantage so she could immediately start a combo afterward, then it'd be a worthwhile and interesting move.

ledgerewskie

Smash Journeyman
I would like to vote for

1. Sami
2. Andy

The Wars series has been around since the NES, and I believe there should be some type of significant presence in Smash Bros. I would prefer Sami, but I'm also voting for Andy just because I hope one will be in. Either of the two would be unique, in both their fighting style and aesthetics. Snake is very unique from the rest of the cast, so a Snake-based Sami clone probably wouldn't be too unpalatable, and a change in moves and speed will make her feel very different from Snake regardless.

Plus, Sami's alt colors could come from different characters in the series, and a potential alt costume could come from another character, like Rachel:

An Advance Wars character might help encourage modders to make some spiffy Advance Wars/Battalion Wars maps, too, which would be nice.

Last edited:

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Instead of a shine, I could instead see Isaac having some sort of Earth/Plant-based wall, a defensive ability to block attacks instead of reflecting them. Maybe even set up stationary walls of earth that can remain on screen, thus acting as an environmental hindrance for characters trying to rush in for an attack, now they have to attack the wall, or hop over it, slowing them down. Could chain nicely if Isaac also has an attack that can hit mid-range at an upper 45 degree angle maybe?
This is actually a really good idea. Make your own wall combos, protecting yourself from projectiles, forcing aerial approaches, doubles potential, and who knows what else.

Should it appear right in front of him or a short distance from him. Also, would this even be possible? I can't think of another move that creates a solid object like this off the top of my head. Has it been done in other mods before?

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Wasn't really downvoting solely because I don't want Dark Samus to make the cut above Ridley. I'm against her being in, as the rules state to downvote if you are against someone being in. And I stated I'm against her being in because Ridley is a better representation of Metroid's antagonists, in my opinion, despite being harder to create. Metroid's only had 1 representative throughout the whole Smash series despite the Metroid franchise's popularity and longevity. I think the main protagonist and her arch-nemesis that she has encountered throughout the whole series would be good to represent it after all these years, instead of Dark Samus, who only had the spotlight in Prime 2 and 3 (only made a short cameo as Dark Samus at the end of Prime 1).

I'd be downvoting Waluigi, Toad, and Paper Mario if I went by your logic. I want Bowser Jr. more than any other character, but I'm not going to just downvote all other Mario characters solely to increase his chances of making it in. I'd also be downvoting Dixie Kong, but even though I want K. Rool more, I'm not going to downvote her just to increase the chances of it happening. That'd be kinda silly.
Your downvote still doesn't make sense. If you want Ridley to get in, then you vote for Ridley, that's it. Your vote on Dark Samus is still based on another character, which it should not.

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
If she has Fox-like fall speed, then this move would only end up being useful for reads, which would be ideal. However, having a move that only resets the situation to neutral (which is pretty much what Marth's counter does) would make this pretty useless. She'd need some sort of frame-advantage for this to be useful if she were a fast-faller. If she has a slow fall speed, then it'd basically be a crappy version of Nayru's (the panic/anti-hype button), where you just spam it while in hitstun to avoid getting combo'd EVER. That's no fun, and I don't think that kind of play suits Lyn anyway.

Basically, I like the idea, but only if she's a fast faller, so she can't just spam it and get out of 90% of combo attempts. If she were to be given frame advantage so she could immediately start a combo afterward, then it'd be a worthwhile and interesting move.
I probably should have specified that in my head she was a fast-faller. I can't really picture Lyn being floaty but otherwise good points.

PlasmaPuffball

Smash Apprentice
Your downvote still doesn't make sense. If you want Ridley to get in, then you vote for Ridley, that's it. Your vote on Dark Samus is still based on another character, which it should not.
I understand then. Just ignore my downvote then, I apologize for downvoting Dark Samus. I'm still keeping my votes to Bowser Jr., Ridley, and King K. Rool.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Lip please
My vote goes to Lip, since she'll likely not make it in Smash 4...
I take it these are actual upvotes? It's pretty obvious with SchAlternate but I'm not sure Khlx is actually voting. I'm currently counting all of the new votes that came in during the week of e3 and I just wanted to double check with you guys.

If you wouldn't mind in the future, if you vote again, to list out your votes so they're easier to tally? Just helps lessen our workload a little.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
This is off-topic but what's the ability for Lucas to be able to cut down his PK freeze to taking like no time to attack? Is it canceling?

Asking because it would have an influence on my new idea for Ninten. I was thinking about Ninten's PK Beam possibly having 3 different speeds of attacking with it, sorta like Samus and her missiles.

First speed could be like a canceled PK Freeze, takes like 0.5 seconds to shoot out the beam. Could do probably 7%.

Second speed could take 1 second to charge, done by smashing the analog stick and holding B for 1 second accordingly. Does about 14%.

Final speed would be a full power PK Beam. Takes 2 seconds to charge and is done same as stated previously, does 28%. A little less damaging than Ness and his PK Flash, but just as much killing potential fairly early into a game.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I had new ideas for Ninten's moves.

His F-throw for grabs could be that he Hypnotizes the enemy and stuns them as if they had their shields broken. This could be awesome for setups.

His up air could be Lucas' up smash, and -maybe- his down air could be as well.

His down and up-smashes could be the yo-yo like Ness but he should do more complex tricks to show his skill with it over Ness. Such as a Walk the Dog between the legs rather than around him, and something else for the Up-smash than the Around the World.

As you can tell, Ninten has absorbed my interest for a potential character over any female Fire Emblem character.

EDIT: somebody have any ideas on new yoyo tricks Ninten could use?

And I think Ninten's up-throw could be a version of Ness', but instead of spinning them over his head with his PSI energy, he squats and holds them as if he's lifting a heavy box with the PSI energy and tosses them upward.

His back throw would be unchanged.

His down throw could just be him getting on top of the grabbed person and pummeling them with both hands in either a hammering motion, or in actual punches.

Lucas' Down Smash could be Ninten's down tilt. It would make sense, and if it came out relatively fast and was one shot and repeatable like Ness' down-tilt, all the better.

Ninten should have a variant of the Psykids dash attack where he runs forward with his finger pointed, emitting PSI energy. It could possiby have a sweetspot with good knockback, it could also be his fair.

His f-tilt can either be a regular kick.. OR maybe it could be a slingshot that could be aimed just like the regular kick, and has about the same range as Link's uncharged bow.

Up-tilt is a move that I guess could be unchanged from the rest of the Psykids. There's no unique ideas for that move brewing in my head. Unless we give him Mario's uptilt or something.

His Nair could be Ness' Smash 64 Nair, but with slight startup lag, and no endlag. It would make a good air-combo, and would mainly be for pushing people away from both sides, like a double-edged sex kick.

His bair could be the early PM Lucas bair, where its a roundhouse kick, but it could have the same meteor smash capability Ness has for his bair, but only for a sweetspot. Sourspot could be good for edgeguarding, like Luigi's dair sourspot.

But yeah.. If I wanted Ninten in the game this is what his moves should be.

Oh, since it fit the bill so nicely, I figured Ninten should do a few things in his Entrance, Victory and Taunt animations.. His Entrance could be a successful teleport with a trail of flames behind him as he skids to a halt.
One of the Victory anims which I thought would be awesome is if he did the One-handed star and made it glow with his PSI abilities.
http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/advanced-yo-yo-tricks2.htm
Another victory pose would be him nodding like Ness at the beginning, eyes half-open, before stretching, yawning, and immediately falling on his back with a bubble forming from his nose. A reference to his endgame quote from Earthbound.
His last Victory pose could just be him swinging his bat really fast like Ness, but in more of an actual baseball stance at the end.

One of his taunts should definitely reference his asthma with him coughing twice and pulling out AsthmaSpray (an asthma puffer), spraying it in his mouth, and putting a thumbs up towards the fourth wall.
Another taunt could be him pulling out his yoyo, and doing a move like this.
http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/advanced-yo-yo-tricks7.htm
Could also have a Smash taunt where he pulls out his Ocarina instead and plays one of the Eight Melodies, or a victory song or something.
Finally, he should speak and say "I hate you" or "I love you" in reference to the Gag items in Mother. But that might be too much. Or he could just say "Okay" like Ness.
I meant to comment on this the other day, but totally forgot. I really like all of these ideas, specifically the aerials.

I did find it odd though that you made a point of demeaning Ness's yo-yo skills in comparison to Ninten's, especially considering they weren't actually an item in Mother 1. :3

All in all though awesome propositions.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
+1 Lip (please? It's at least six years until the next Smash Bros. game and her chances drop with every installment...)

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
Voting +1 for:
Andy
Sami

Fire Emblem has 11 games not counting remakes, while Advance Wars has 12. Andy and Sami could be clones of each other, but significantly different than Snake. Andy has wrenches, so give them different normals but similar specials a la Fox/Wolf. Bring back Nikita.

+1 for Pichu, but don't change him at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom