• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Calvin and Hobbes for Project M.

Nah but seriously next Monday will literally be half a year from today--December 9--ever since Project M 3.0 came out.

I think we'll see news for a new update (MAYBE with new characters) soon.

Last edited:

matt dowling

Smash Rookie
My votes are for...
Knuckles: need sonic characters and he'd have a cool move set
Tails: need sonic character and would just fit in game well
Ridley: awesome metroid character: shrink him I don't care what u have to do get him in the game
Black shadow/ ganondorf: iconic f zero character who actually fits ganondofs move set and ganondorf should get a real fitting moveset
Sameri Goroh: iconic f zero character who

1/2 votes for...
Krystal
Lyn
Shadow
King k tool
Tetra
Skull kid

Negative vote
Skapon:just wouldn't fit in the game well. Not iconic to a lot of us and a lot of work

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
It's more evidence that people would be happy to see Sukapon than there is evidence to the contrary.

On that note, I've an update for the Sukapon Document. Hurray more movement option!
Not that happy with how this one came out. Sukapon Roll has extensive potential, so I elected here to try to portray a more conservative array of possible abilities, restricted to those present in Joy Mech Fight and extrapolating only where Smash mechanics and depth implore. This very capacity for depth is what gave me trouble, as I found it difficult to communicate the eminent degree of competitive implications without resorting to a thick coating of text. I hope it is nevertheless effective, despite my misgivings.

Last edited:

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
I'm starting to wonder, couldn't Ridley just be a really super beefed up Charizard clone? He's basically a really big boney dragon. Has anybody posted a move list for him?

DatDolphin

Smash Cadet
I suppose my objection to Sukapon being added has alot to do with me having no idea what it is. Honestly, I can get behind any character that's fun, but just from an idea standpoint, I don't see why Sukapon should get in over anyone else that isn't Toad. But again, I don't know much about Sukapon or the game it's from.

MangoNation

Smash Rookie
I think the characters that should be added should be.
Dark Samus
Ray MK III
Black. Shadow

[Dark Samus Reason for Add]
I think samus has been a decent character throughout the series but there was a problem. Samus was a good character but lacked in combat and didn't seem fast enough to keep up with other characters like Fox, Falco and so on. I think Dark Samus would be a really cool add and it would atleast make us have 3 Metroid characters that have there own benefits in there play style and they should be added for that reason.

[Ray MK III Reason for Add]
He was a Assist trophy and he was really cool and from a cool game and I'd love to see him act as a character instead of a trophy because he was really good and I think the only thing we have to do is resize him to a normal player size and we got a new character, He has a Sword and rockets and he'd be balance like Samus except with a sword like Marth / Roy / Ike and he'd be balanced due to that.

[Black Shadow Reason for Add]
I think we needed more rivals in this game. We have Mario and Wario, Ganondorf and Link. The only thing we needed is a new character. I saw that people said Black Shadow should use Ganons Moveset and give ganon a new one. I agree with this and he should be added for this reason.

TRJV

Smash Journeyman
I just had a brilliant idea for Tom Nook's final smash:
A giant tree appears in the center of the stage, Tom walks up to it, shakes it, and sofas come flying down on everyone.

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I just had a brilliant idea for Tom Nook's final smash:
A giant tree appears in the center of the stage, Tom walks up to it,shakes it, and sofas come flying down on everyone.
Nah. I got this.
TOM NOOK'S FINAL SMASH
-only viable in coin battle
-100% of victims rage quit
-Tom Nook rids you of all of your moneys so you can pay off your debt leaving you in a deep dark depression

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
I suppose my objection to Sukapon being added has alot to do with me having no idea what it is. Honestly, I can get behind any character that's fun, but just from an idea standpoint, I don't see why Sukapon should get in over anyone else that isn't Toad. But again, I don't know much about Sukapon or the game it's from.
So by that logic, Ness should not have made it into Smash Bros 64 because many people didn't know who he was? Or same with Mr. G&W, Marth, and Roy in Melee?

DatDolphin

Smash Cadet
I'm starting to wonder, couldn't Ridley just be a really super beefed up Charizard clone? He's basically a really big boney dragon. Has anybody posted a move list for him?
So by that logic, Ness should not have made it into Smash Bros 64 because many people didn't know who he was? Or same with Mr. G&W, Marth, and Roy in Melee?
Yeah, my logic is pretty bad. I hated Gdubs, Marth, and Roy's additions, and thought they could have been used for different characters, but they grew on me so it's possible for Sukapon too. But all in all, my points still stands. The slot that Sukapon could take could be filled with a recognizable character that is just as unique.

I totally never suggested Rayman.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Yeah, my logic is pretty bad. I hated Gdubs, Marth, and Roy's additions, and thought they could have been used for different characters. But all in all, my points still stands. The slot that Sukapon could take could be filled with a recognizable character that is just as unique. Why not Rayman. His body shape is basically the same and his fighting style can be a mix of serious fighting and gimmicks.
Because apparently you didn't read the rules well enough to know that only characters the were in Brawl are eligible for the Clone Engine.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Yeah, my logic is pretty bad. I hated Gdubs, Marth, and Roy's additions, and thought they could have been used for different characters, but they grew on me so it's possible for Sukapon too. But all in all, my points still stands. The slot that Sukapon could take could be filled with a recognizable character that is just as unique. Why not Rayman? His body shape is basically the same and his fighting style can be a mix of serious fighting and gimmicks.
Rayman isn't Nintendo and isn't in Brawl at all...

Edit: Ninjaed

Last edited:

DatDolphin

Smash Cadet
Because apparently you didn't read the rules well enough to know that only characters the were in Brawl are eligible for the Clone Engine.
OOOOH. Ok. That makes a lot of sense. Let's just ignore that entire Rayman thing.
I'm guilty of just skimming over the OP.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Let's be honest here, 64 and Melee were made with an international mindset but they had to include characters for the Japanese audience as well. Marth and Roy played very prominent roles in a pretty popular game series in Japan, and for that reason deserved their spots. Same thing with Ness.

To this day, I still don't like the inclusion of GnW. And if Sukapon made it into P:M, I wouldn't ever be happy with his inclusion either. Let me just go ahead a quote my one and only downvote that's for Sukapon:
Sukapon: I'm not a big fan of extremely obscure characters. Mr. Game & Watch is already obscure enough as it is, and the effort it would take to create this character who's reception would most likely be extremely mixed (even with all the praise he's been getting within this thread), I'm almost positive the PMBR would not be willing to take the risk. His model would also be pretty boring, with his only unique aspect being his floating limbs, and he doesn't have the benefit of being a well known or iconic character to overcome this design flaw. I delved in a bit into his previous movements within the smash community, mostly those revolving around his inclusion within Brawl and his rejection from Melee, and I could not find anything to truly convince me otherwise. Sorry for all of the Sakupon supporters out there, but I'm just not feeling him.
EDIT: Thanks Anti Guy, can't believe I did that.

Last edited:

ElGoombaswag

Hououin Kyoma
NNID
cdoggfuentes
It's more evidence that people would be happy to see Sukapon than there is evidence to the contrary.

On that note, I've an update for the Sukapon Document. Hurray more movement option!
Not that happy with how this one came out. Sukapon Roll has extensive potential, so I elected here to try to portray a more conservative array of possible abilities, restricted to those present in Joy Mech Fight and extrapolating only where Smash mechanics and depth implore. This very capacity for depth is what gave me trouble, as I found it difficult to communicate the eminent degree of competitive implications without resorting to a thick coating of text. I hope it is nevertheless effective, despite my misgivings.
I love the idea, but no final smash?

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Let's be honest here, 64 and Melee were made with an international mindset but they had to include characters for the Japanese audience as well. Marth and Roy played very prominent roles in a pretty popular game series in Japan, and for that reason deserved their spots. Same thing with Ness.

To this day, I still don't like the inclusion of GnW. And if Sakupon made it into P:M, I wouldn't ever be happy with his inclusion either. Let me just go ahead a quote my one and only downvote that's for Sakupon:
*Sukapon

I love the idea, but no final smash?
Honestly, the final smash and taunts are the least important things you could think of. Most people don't even use final smashes. Most importantly, outlining those has absolutely zero effect on that character's candidacy. It's like interviewing a candidate and then asking what kind of grades they got in elementary school.

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Tomato Guy is right. Having a cool Final Smash is nice, but considering PM's target audience is Tournament Attendants, having the Clone Engine Characters get Final Smashes is really just a bonus. They're in no way essential to the completion of the Project's goal.

Last edited:

Renegade55

Smash Rookie
+1 votes
  1. Paper Mario
  2. Bowser Jr. - I would strongly consider making him more than just a smaller version of Bowser's moveset. Make him his own character, focusing more on the paintbrush aspect and possibly even some of the Koopaling attacks like spinning around in his shell (Squirtle's withdraw?).
  3. Lyn
  4. Hector
  5. Isaac
+1/2 votes
  1. Skull Kid
  2. Ridley
  3. Masked Man/Claus
  4. Knuckles - He would be much more of a physical brawler...almost like a variation of Little Mac? Gliding could also be incorporated to make him unique
  5. Shadow - Focus on chaos attacks to differentiate him from Sonic
-1 votes
  1. Black Shadow/Ganondorf - Ganondorf's current moveset and playstyle are already widely accepted, so reskinning him so Black Shadow would only confuse people. Also, the F-Zero series (other than Falcon) does not have a very large fan base comparatively, so adding Black Shadow would ultimately be appealing more to those who want a new Ganondorf moveset than those actually wanting to see him in the game.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
I suppose my objection to Sukapon being added has alot to do with me having no idea what it is…
Definitely give this a read. From my totally biased point of view, no (eligible & feasible) character can be anywhere near as unique as Sukapon, especially in such a non-gimmicky manner.

I don't care about Final Smashes. It'd regardless be, "Sukapon does something and everyone dies."
How about: Sukapon performs stand-up. Everyone's controller rumbles to simulate laughing, sound-effects become high-pitched, and opponents are stricken with the Timer effect. Or turn into pichu.

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
I think the characters that should be added should be.
[Dark Samus Reason for Add]
I think samus has been a decent character throughout the series but there was a problem. Samus was a good character but lacked in combat and didn't seem fast enough to keep up with other characters like Fox, Falco and so on. I think Dark Samus would be a really cool add and it would atleast make us have 3 Metroid characters that have there own benefits in there play style and they should be added for that reason.
Again, this is one of the exact reasons I don't want Dark Samus, the concept of her/it being a faster/stronger Samus. Someone called me out on the fact that I just don't like Samu's gameplay, and yeah, I'll own up to that. I played way too many people who just camp the edge and do nothing but spam her projectiles over and over again. But I still don't think we need a second Samus.

Ridley on the other hand, I'm all over that if only for the originality factor. Yeah, I know the P:M team are going to have to work hard to render a Ridley from scratch, but I don't think a character should be discredited due to possible issue with making their model. I don't see "they can just recolor such and such character" as a good reason at all for a character's inclusion.

Also, on a different subject, any note if the Demo games in Brawl count as those characters being in the code yet?

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Also, on a different subject, any note if the Demo games in Brawl count as those characters being in the code yet?
I don't think a backroomer has even been here to determine that. Like Shin said, you can tag one of them in a post on this thread. But I think most of us are just going to leave it alone. As cool as Giygas/Medusa would be, they're doubtful inclusions. That said, if we do find out that demo's count I'll post my Giygas Moveset, I'm quite proud of it. But I figure I shouldn't even attempt to build a hype for a character that might not even be eligible.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Hey guys, here's my Masked Man moveset (again). After certain revelations I realized the idea upon which most of the Moveset revolved around is quite frankly impossible to implement, so I've reworked it. Once again, credit to Mowg. These moves are sort of an unorthodox collaboration between us. Give it a gander if you're interested.

Masked Man Moveset
Masked Man

Masked Man has a lot of potential, through the use of his different utilities. (The sword, cannon arm, wings, etc.) By focusing the sick aerial game of the current PK kids and adding a sense of maniacal spice to the mix, a unique and brilliant character would arise. Masked Man could be a partial clone to Lucas, how much is copied would be left up to the PMBR if they choose to implement the little ginger that could(n't). Keep in mind, not everything in this set is practical, but believe it or not, this move set is me taking it down a notch. If PM didn't have technical limits... Oh dear lord... Anyways, enjoy! Message me with feedback, or post it on the Clone Engine Thread.

Credit to Mowg!

Tilts - Swordplay, son.

nuetral A
: Uses his sword to jab once, and then repeatedly for a flurry jab. Slice slice mothaf*cka. Hitboxes would vary, having the single jab retaining a large hitbox, while the flurry uses smaller ones that are easy to avoid, but moving back and forth as Masked Man pokes you to death with his shiny choice of weaponry, hence the term flurry.

F-tilt: Swing the sword vertically from down to up, like Marth´s. This move should be a bread and butter combo starter, more than for fending off foes. Have an electric sweetspot on the sword. Either tip like Marth or at the handle like Ike, depending on hitbox size.

D-tilt: A good edge-guard tool, but not too good. MM would use his sword like Ike´s d-tilt. The guard would be a swatting motion, not a poke like Marth, Roy or MK.

Up-tilt: The blade never fails. Up-tilt slices the opponent up, and sets them up for a good juggle. Similar to Ness's yo-yo up-tilt, it should set the opponent up for some serious aerial pwnage. As a side note, Masked Man would need to have the skills necessary for aerial domination. What's a PK Kid without their DJC, eh?

Smashes - Cannons Wings, and Ice Oh My?

Up-smash
: Works with him releasing very short range flames from his cannon arm as he moves it above his head in an arch fashion (from side to side once). This attack has it’s disadvantages considering range, but if used to successfully trap an opponent it would rack up damage quickly.

Over-smash: Masked Man swings his sword. (Already included on PM 3.0’s Lucas alt.) But slower and with more knockback. A sweetspot couldn't hurt... Right?

Down-smash: would be PK Freeze. dealing damage and throwing the frozen opponent to the side. Freeze should allow for quick follow up moves. It would leave the opponent vulnerable just long enough for a combo starter to be used. (It's combo starter starter?)

Specials - Psychic ginger ftw.

Neutral Special: PK Saanda, named after PK Thunder's Japanese translation is non-controllable lightning blast that has a large hitbox but little damage. The lightning spreads out quickly, expanding the hitbox. It would work well as a counter. I can't keep up with this Mewtwo teleport sh*t man, next time he dissapears Imma Saanda his a*ss. No way a move this big's finna miss.

Side-Special: PK Thunder. Everybody loves Sith-lightening. Using his sword to channel the electricity, Masked Man's PKT would be controllable, just like Ness and Lucas's. But, notice that this is Masked Man's side-special, rather than his up-special as PKT is normally implemented. This is because PKT is not a recovery. It works very similarly to Lucas's, except now when it is directed back to the player PK2 is not initiated. Instead, the lightning charges Claus's sword, increasing the speed and damage of his tilts significantly for a short amount of time.

Up-Special: Wing, wing, herro? Masked Man's wings would expand, allowing him to recover as they glide. The move would be similar to Pit's vBrawl up-b in terms of the way it acts. Hit boxes would be on the edge of each wing, allowing for damage as they extend from Masked Man's back, as well as when he rises.

Neutral-Special: PK Love. Take inspiration from Ness´ old PK Flash, Zelda´s P:M Side-special, and Snake´s Up-smash. The move should put Masked Man in a state like when Ness uses PK Thunder or PK Flash, he´s pretty much helpless. The move would shoot 3 Psychic projectiles that could shoot rapidly or more delayed depending on the timing that the player decides to input the move. The projectiles should shoot up and at an arc that could be controlled by the control stick. It´s hard to control these, because you are controlling 3 at once. They should be harder to control than Din´s fire.After 3 seconds the projectiles can no longer be moved with the control stick and Masked Man snaps out of his concentration state, and can now move around and fight. You could manually input so that you shoot only one quickly while in the fray or two and three when you have extra time to set up something. The PK Love zingies will hang out there, like Din´s Fire, but with a timer. You could also press Neutral-special again, like Snake´s C-4 to detonate them manually. This does more damage than if they are simply touched by the opponent.

Final Smash: Thread the needle, bruh. This Final Smash is based off of what would have happened had Masked Man pulled the last needle in Mother 3. I imagine it similar to MK's Final Smash, when used motions slow and the screen becomes dark focusing on Masked Man, whose animation portrays him pulling the needle (This animation is actually already in game as one of Lucas's victory poses). The Dark Dragon's silhouette flies across the screen doing serious damage and knocback, but only hurting those close enough to the needle at the time of the input.
Regarding Past Sets
Before now, I've posted several incarnations of this move set. Mowg had the brilliant idea of creating a move set that focused on the homing capabilities of a PSI Magnet. When I first read through the set based around that idea, I of course loved it, but also forgot that the PMBR has blatantly stated any homing aspects are impossible to implement as of now. So, I had to make major revisions to the moves. Thanks if you cared enough to read this. <3

Last edited:

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, here's my Masked Man moveset (again). After certain revelations I realized the idea upon which most of the Moveset revolved around is quite frankly impossible to implement, so I've reworked it. Once again, credit to Mowg. These moves are sort of an unorthodox collaboration between us. Give it a gander if you're interested.

Masked Man Moveset
Masked Man

Masked Man has a lot of potential, through the use of his different utilities. (The sword, cannon arm, wings, etc.) By focusing the sick aerial game of the current PK kids and adding a sense of maniacal spice to the mix, a unique and brilliant character would arise. Masked Man could be a partial clone to Lucas, how much is copied would be left up to the PMBR if they choose to implement the little ginger that could(n't). Keep in mind, not everything in this set is practical, but believe it or not, this move set is me taking it down a notch. If PM didn't have technical limits... Oh dear lord... Anyways, enjoy! Message me with feedback, or post it on the Clone Engine Thread.

Credit to Mowg!

Tilts - Swordplay, son.

nuetral A
: Uses his sword to jab once, and then repeatedly for a flurry jab. Slice slice mothaf*cka. Hitboxes would vary, having the single jab retaining a large hitbox, while the flurry uses smaller ones that are easy to avoid, but moving back and forth as Masked Man pokes you to death with his shiny choice of weaponry, hence the term flurry.

F-tilt: Swing the sword vertically from down to up, like Marth´s. This move should be a bread and butter combo starter, more than for fending off foes. Have an electric sweetspot on the sword. Either tip like Marth or at the handle like Ike, depending on hitbox size.

D-tilt: A good edge-guard tool, but not too good. MM would use his sword like Ike´s d-tilt. The guard would be a swatting motion, not a poke like Marth, Roy or MK.

Up-tilt: The blade never fails. Up-tilt slices the opponent up, and sets them up for a good juggle. Similar to Ness's yo-yo up-tilt, it should set the opponent up for some serious aerial pwnage. As a side note, Masked Man would need to have the skills necessary for aerial domination. What's a PK Kid without their DJC, eh?

Up-smash
: Works with him releasing very short range flames from his cannon arm as he moves it above his head in an arch fashion (from side to side once). This attack has it’s disadvantages considering range, but if used to successfully trap an opponent it would rack up damage quickly.

Over-smash: Masked Man swings his sword. (Already included on PM 3.0’s Lucas alt.) But slower and with more knockback. A sweetspot couldn't hurt... Right?

Down-smash: would be PK Freeze. dealing damage and throwing the frozen opponent to the side. Freeze should allow for quick follow up moves. It would leave the opponent vulnerable just long enough for a combo starter to be used. (It's combo starter starter?)

Neutral Special: PK Sanda, named after PK Thunder's Japanese translation is non-controllable lightning blast that has a large hitbox but little damage. The lightning spreads out quickly, expanding the hitbox. It would work well as a counter. I can't keep up with this Mewtwo teleport sh*t man, next time he dissapears Imma Sanda his a*ss. No way a move this big's finna miss.

Side-Special: PK Thunder. Everybody loves Sith-lightening. Using his sword to channel the electricity, Masked Man's PKT would be controllable, just like Ness and Lucas's. But, notice that this is Masked Man's side-special, rather than his up-special as PKT is normally implemented. This is because PKT is not a recovery. It works very similarly to Lucas's, except now when it is directed back to the player PK2 is not initiated. Instead, the lightning charges Claus's sword, increasing the speed and damage of his tilts significantly for a short amount of time.

Up-Special: Wing, wing, herro? Masked Man's wings would expand, allowing him to recover as they glide. The move would be similar to Pit's vBrawl up-b in terms of the way it acts. Hit boxes would be on the edge of each wing, allowing for damage as they extend from Masked Man's back, as well as when he rises.

Neutral-Special: PK Love. Take inspiration from Ness´ old PK Flash, Zelda´s P:M Side-special, and Snake´s Up-smash. The move should put Masked Man in a state like when Ness uses PK Thunder or PK Flash, he´s pretty much helpless. The move would shoot 3 Psychic projectiles that could shoot rapidly or more delayed depending on the timing that the player decides to input the move. The projectiles should shoot up and at an arc that could be controlled by the control stick. It´s hard to control these, because you are controlling 3 at once. They should be harder to control than Din´s fire.After 3 seconds the projectiles can no longer be moved with the control stick and Masked Man snaps out of his concentration state, and can now move around and fight. You could manually input so that you shoot only one quickly while in the fray or two and three when you have extra time to set up something. The PK Love zingies will hang out there, like Din´s Fire, but with a timer. You could also press Neutral-special again, like Snake´s C-4 to detonate them manually. This does more damage than if they are simply touched by the opponent.

Final Smash: Thread the needle, bruh. This Final Smash is based off of what would have happened had Masked Man pulled the last needle in Mother 3. I imagine it similar to MK's Gale Of Darkness, when used motions slow and the screen becomes dark focusing on Masked Man, whose animation portrays him pulling the needle (This animation is actually already in game as one of Lucas's victory poses). The Dark Dragon's silhouette flies across the screen doing serious damage and knocback, but only hurting those close enough to the needle at the time of the input.
Regarding Past Sets
Before now, I've posted several incarnations of this move set. Mowg had the brilliant idea of creating a move set that focused on the homing capabilities of a PSI Magnet. When I first read through the set based around that idea, I of course loved it, but also forgot that the PMBR has blatantly stated any homing aspects are impossible to implement as of now. So, I had to make major revisions to the moves. Thanks if you cared enough to read this. <3
I'll be perfectly honest, the moveset is ... ok. Really, just ok.

Now here's the thing, I like Masked Man, don't get me wrong, no MM hate here, but I've put it on record that with only 5 slots left, I am inclined to lean towards at least the notion of characters that fill a specific niche that is not already available in Brawl. Mewtwo is a floaty master, Roy ... admittedly kinda got a pass for melee veteran status but I don't hate him. But for the remaining characters, I want something I can't already get by playing someone else, like my (always reference this) Isaac 3-tier charge moveset or my Medusa trap/DPS moveset.

The moveset you have is fine, but a little disjointed and in my opinion is lacking focus. I don't see this Masked Man really filling any particular niche on first glance. However, as I said I have nothing against Masked Man and the moveset at least presents some ideas that could be tweaked into something more focused and thematic, I think.

Again, wanting characters that fill a specific role is my opinion. And even then, I still have biased to ones I personally think would also compliment the series based on my own thoughts and opinions.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I'll be perfectly honest, the moveset is ... ok. Really, just ok.

Now here's the thing, I like Masked Man, don't get me wrong, no MM hate here, but I've put it on record that with only 5 slots left, I am inclined to lean towards at least the notion of characters that fill a specific niche that is not already available in Brawl. Mewtwo is a floaty master, Roy ... admittedly kinda got a pass for melee veteran status but I don't hate him. But for the remaining characters, I want something I can't already get by playing someone else, like my (always reference this) Isaac 3-tier charge moveset or my Medusa trap/DPS moveset.

The moveset you have is fine, but a little disjointed and in my opinion is lacking focus. I don't see this Masked Man really filling any particular niche on first glance. However, as I said I have nothing against Masked Man and the moveset at least presents some ideas that could be tweaked into something more focused and thematic, I think.

Again, wanting characters that fill a specific role is my opinion. And even then, I still have biased to ones I personally think would also compliment the series based on my own thoughts and opinions.
I totally understand where you're coming from. Unfortunately, characters that would bring an entirely new type of gameplay to the table would be much more work for the Project M Backroom. Partial Clones are appealing. That said, I totally get what you mean when you say that you want something new. However, I feel if Masked Man were to be intentionally made unique it would separate him from Ness/Lucas's playstyle, and ultimately create a move set that isn't truthful or worthy of his character. People hate on Ganon being a clone. Yes, he is too similar to Falcon. But making someone different just for the sake of change is a waste of a character. If they add spacey, their movest should differentiate from Fox, Falco, and Wolf's. But it should maintain a certain familiarity in relation to Fox and Falco. That's just my two cents worth.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord

Masked Man Moveset
Masked Man

Credit to Mowg!

Tilts - Swordplay, son.

nuetral A

Up-smash

Neutral Special: PK Sanda, named after PK Thunder's Japanese translation is non-controllable lightning blast that has a large hitbox but little damage. The lightning spreads out quickly, expanding the hitbox. It would work well as a counter. I can't keep up with this Mewtwo teleport sh*t man, next time he dissapears Imma Sanda his a*ss. No way a move this big's finna miss.

Final Smash: Thread the needle, bruh. This Final Smash is based off of what would have happened had Masked Man pulled the last needle in Mother 3. I imagine it similar to MK's Gale Of Darkness, when used motions slow and the screen becomes dark focusing on Masked Man, whose animation portrays him pulling the needle (This animation is actually already in game as one of Lucas's victory poses). The Dark Dragon's silhouette flies across the screen doing serious damage and knocback, but only hurting those close enough to the needle at the time of the input.
Regarding Past Sets
I like it, Psykid.
Don't let Darkmask get you down ;p

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724

Masked Man Moveset
Masked Man

Credit to Mowg!

Tilts - Swordplay, son.

nuetral A

Up-smash

Regarding Past Sets
Interesting read. Looking forward to seeing more movesets in the distant future if you're willing :p

Last edited:

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
Haha. Thanks? I have a Giygas one ready. I'm not posting it until we're sure he's eligible, however.
Even if he is eligible, I would imagine he would be really difficult to implement ... besides, I really like the idea of a stage based on the Devil's Machine with Giygas in that stage!

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Even if he is eligible, I would imagine he would be really difficult to implement ... besides, I really like the idea of a stage based on the Devil's Machine with Giygas in that stage!
I don't see him being any harder than anyone else. He'd start off as a M2 clone and then the PMBR would work their way from there.

Devil's Machine would be cool. Not sure if the PMBR is looking to add stage gimmicks, it would probably be a tiny cameo if anything.

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
I don't see him being any harder than anyone else. He'd start off as a M2 clone and then the PMBR would work their way from there.

Devil's Machine would be cool. Not sure if the PMBR is looking to add stage gimmicks, it would probably be a tiny cameo if anything.
This seems relevant to this train of thought:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom