• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rasgar

Smash Apprentice
Actually, you could shoot for the major villain model of the game. It would make more sense.

Only reason I'd be against that is that I hate Hadron. That, and he is ineligible. However, there's a sticker of Rakensen, one of the major villains of the GC game. And Rakensen is awesome.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
@ Solbliminal Solbliminal Love the Sakurai's cat pic. And it's technically eligible because he "originated" in Brawl :)

WE'VE GOT A SUPPORTER!! GET HYPE!!

Another thing to consider - I don't know how many of y'all know about Smogon but they do the Create-a-Pokemon not just as a fun side project but as a way to examine the current metagame. Would we be interested in considering anything like that for these 5 remaining slots? For example:

To examine the benefits and drawbacks of a certain character, what if we took one character's moveset (ex: Zelda) but made her faster and her attacks weaker (and put a Palutena skin on it)?
So...a Captain Falcon / Ganondorf relationship? No. I would not be okay with Palutena being a direct clone of Zelda. I honestly don't want a flat out clone with just statistical differences. Especially if those two characters have no direct relation to begin with.

This is just my opinion though. I'm not sure about everyone else here.

Or my personal choice - create a character that is competitively viable without wavedashing.
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but you would need to rework the entire dodge mechanic for that to be possible. That is part of Project M's core gameplay.

Only reason I'd be against that is that I hate Hadron. That, and he is ineligible. However, there's a sticker of Rakensen, one of the major villains of the GC game. And Rakensen is awesome.

We're talking about an Assist Trophy Rasgar. Not a character. Someone to replace Ray if he becomes playable.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Yeah thinking it over palutena or any character as a ganondorf-style clone would be a waste of a slot. That was just a hypothetical example.

Also, I thought you could tweak aspects of each individual character's physics without messing with it as a whole. Either way the point wouldn't be to change the physics but to create a character who would work around the physics to the point where wavedashing isn't necessary for him/her alone. Would it be too short like peach's in Melee, for example?

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Yeah thinking it over palutena or any character as a ganondorf-style clone would be a waste of a slot. That was just a hypothetical example.

Also, I thought you could tweak aspects of each individual character's physics without messing with it as a whole. Either way the point wouldn't be to change the physics but to create a character who would work around the physics to the point where wavedashing isn't necessary for him/her alone. Would it be too short like peach's in Melee, for example?
If that is the case, they've already done that with several characters. But if you are referring to mobility options, Ray is your guy. Who needs wavedash when you can airdash?

MLGF

Smash Lord
So I'm bored, let's look at all characters without "clones" (as much as I hate the term). I'm totally OK with most of these characters getting someone to play like them.

Peach
Bowser
Wario
Donkey
Diddy
Yoshi
Zelda
Sheik
Samus
Pit
ROB
Ice Climbers
Kirby
Meta Knight
DDD
Olimar
Pikachu
Zard
Ivy
Squirtle
Jiggs
Lucario
Mewtwo
Ike
Sonic
Snake
G&W
Wolf *

*Not a clone, but I REALLY doubt anyone wants another spacey.

Whew... so there's a lot of characters who have potential for unique interpretations of their moveset through another character.
IIRC, the hype for Sami was due to a quick Snake clone being possible.

Rasgar

Smash Apprentice
We're talking about an Assist Trophy Rasgar. Not a character. Someone to replace Ray if he becomes playable.
Yeah, I know. I just wasn't sure if the eligibility rules extended to ATs. The topic hadn't really come before, as far as I knew.

Then again, there's stages that ignore the eligibility rules (like Dracula's Castle), so maybe ATs are like that.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Fox, Falco, Wolf, Fox, Fox.
I'd love to see clones of these characters. I feel pretty confident all of them would be viable.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Pikachu, Bowser, Snake, Sonic, and Pit.
5 characters I wouldn't mind seeing clones of.
Pikachu - Pichu
Bowser - Bowser Jr.
Snake - Liquid
Sonic - Knuckles/Shadow

Pit - ??? I really don't know. Anybody have any ideas, I would love to see a clone of Pit actually.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
We already got that. It's called Charizard.

Fox, Falco, Wolf, Fox, Fox.
I'd love to see clones of these characters. I feel pretty confident all of them would be viable.

Hahahahahaha

That's not ironic laughter, that's my brain breaking.
It's okay Shin. It is only Slippy, the Pichu of the spacies. We're good.

Pikachu - Pichu
Bowser - Bowser Jr.
Snake - Liquid
Sonic - Knuckles/Shadow

Pit - ??? I really don't know. Anybody have any ideas, I would love to see a clone of Pit actually.
Sonic and Diddy = Shadow and Dixie. All of my wants.

Ginge

Smash Ace
I've said this many times before. But Dixie Kong being in Smash 4 or Project M would give me so much hype.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Pikachu - Pichu
Bowser - Bowser Jr.
Snake - Liquid
Sonic - Knuckles/Shadow

I would honestly prefer Tails as the Sonic clone. But we've been over this within 100 pages so I won't go into much detail beyond he's more important to the series.
Idk for Pit, Shin said Isaac but I imagine Isaac as a grounded fighter where Pit is all about dat air. Could still be interesting.
Also I'd like to see an Advance Wars person as the Snake clone. MGS doesn't really need another rep considering it's importance to Nintendo.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Guys, guys.

Slippy
Peppy
Leon
Andross
Brawl Falco.

Because NO KRYSTAL.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
I would honestly prefer Tails as the Sonic clone. But we've been over this within 100 pages so I won't go into much detail beyond he's more important to the series.
Idk for Pit, Shin said Isaac but I imagine Isaac as a grounded fighter where Pit is all about dat air. Could still be interesting.
Also I'd like to see an Advance Wars person as the Snake clone. MGS doesn't really need another rep considering it's importance to Nintendo.
Wow am I'm dumb

Snake - Liquid/Andy/Sami

But to be honest, I just see Tails being so different from Sonic that he wouldn't be considered a "clone". In fact, I'd see him as more of a Sonic/Pit hybrid. And if my snazzy new signature sporting Solbliminal's icons doesn't tell you my preference for a sonic newcommer, I'll give you a hint:

He looks an awful lot like a certain dog...

MLGF

Smash Lord
Wow am I'm dumb

Snake - Liquid/Andy/Sami

But to be honest, I just see Tails being so different from Sonic that he wouldn't be considered a "clone". In fact, I'd see him as more of a Sonic/Pit hybrid. And if my snazzy new signature sporting Solbliminal's icons doesn't tell you my preference for a sonic newcommer, I'll give you a hint:

PLEASE
UNDERSTAND

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Wow am I'm dumb

Snake - Liquid/Andy/Sami

I see you also watch Maximilian.
We now have common interest therefore we are brethren

MewtwoMOFO

Smash Cadet
So, anybody in support of Reggie Fils-aime as a clone engine character? His body is ready, I think the Smash community ought to be too.

Ginge

Smash Ace
It would be neat if there was a Pikmin fighter.
You mean the Pikmin fighting on their own instead of just being a weapon / projectile for Olimar?

I'd be forced to say that I see Toad being upgraded from being a shield/counter-move before the Pikmin get their own slot.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Wow am I'm dumb

Snake - Liquid/Andy/Sami

But to be honest, I just see Tails being so different from Sonic that he wouldn't be considered a "clone". In fact, I'd see him as more of a Sonic/Pit hybrid. And if my snazzy new signature sporting Solbliminal's icons doesn't tell you my preference for a sonic newcomer, I'll give you a hint:

DOOOOOOOD!!! THAT'S HYPE!

Being a Sonic fan myself, I can say that Knuckles and Shadow both are just as different than Sonic as Tails is. Though it took Shadow a bit longer before he could truly be different.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Tails is just more iconic. I understand that they're different, but Tails is just as different. I honestly think he'd be the most well-received choice.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
So I'm bored, let's look at all characters without "clones" (as much as I hate the term). I'm totally OK with most of these characters getting someone to play like them.

Peach
Bowser
Wario
Donkey
Diddy
Yoshi
Zelda
Sheik
Samus
Pit
ROB
Ice Climbers
Kirby
Meta Knight
DDD
Olimar
Pikachu
Zard
Ivy
Squirtle
Jiggs
Lucario
Mewtwo
Ike
Sonic
Snake
G&W
Wolf *

*Not a clone, but I REALLY doubt anyone wants another spacey.

Whew... so there's a lot of characters who have potential for unique interpretations of their moveset through another character.
IIRC, the hype for Sami was due to a quick Snake clone being possible.
Idea dump:

Peach - Daisy?
Bowser - Bowser Jr. (If he's not unique)
Wario - No one else can really inherit his moveset without being Wario.
Donkey - Funky or another Kong.
Diddy - Dixie or Tiny.
Yoshi - Birdo?
Zelda - Toon Zelda
Sheik - Impa (Probably not in Brawl) or Tetra
Samus - Dark Samus (sorta)
Pit - ???
ROB - ???
Ice Climbers - Pichu Bros. or Pra_Mai
Kirby - Can't really clone Kirby.
Meta Knight - Galacta Knight (Not in Brawl?)
DDD - Maybe K. Rool?
Olimar - Louie
Pikachu - Pichu or Raichu
Zard - Charmander or Charmeleon (Difficult due to lack of wings. Maybe Ridley?)
Ivy - Bulbasaur... I MEAN VENASAUR! (egoraptor ftw)
Squirtle - Wartortle or Blastoise
Jiggs - Igglybuff (even more polar lol) or Wigglytuff
Lucario - Another fighting Pokemon?
Mewtwo - Mew?
Ike - Hector
Sonic - Other, similar Sonics
Snake - Jeff from EB, Sami/Andy
G&W - Paper Mario (if that isn't a stretch)

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Tails is just more iconic. I understand that they're different, but Tails is just as different.
Knuckles and Shadow both are just as different than Sonic, as Tails is.
You are literally making the same point I just established.

I honestly think he'd be the most well-received choice.
Being the ripest apple out of a pile of rotten apples doesn't mean much.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
You are literally making the same point I just established.
That was the point
I was trying to point out how you can spin it in Tails's favor as well

Being the ripest apple out of a pile of rotten apples doesn't mean much.
And being the most rotten improves your chances? From an argumentative standpoint I don't see what you were trying to do here.

Exodo

Smash Ace
Some Characters i think should be added, for now:
- Pichu (Pikachu Clone(obviously)). Pichu could be reworked in a awesome way and still maintain the self damaging system.
- Slippy (Fox Clone). He was presented in the april fools video, and it seems it will be a thing since it had some unique animations, and i believe some other unique features could be added for its moveset.
- Dark Samus (Olima.. i mean!! Samus Clone o.o). She could be a lighter more floaty faster but weaker version of Samus, also have some unique attacks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom