• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
It's not really his importance to the story, more of I would rather have a character using a fighting style not seen in smash ( a spear wielder), instead of a mish mashed Lucas with an arm cannon. It sounds way more appealing. The fact that Flint is a badass is just icing on the cake.
Spear wielder you say ...

Last edited:

MewtwoMOFO

Smash Cadet
If anybody thinks that Mother needs a rep different from Lucas and Ness's general characteristics (lightweight and heavily built around projectile use) then the Pork Trooper would be pretty cool. It would give the series a heavyweight up-close and personal representative.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
If anybody thinks that Mother needs a rep different from Lucas and Ness's general characteristics (lightweight and heavily built around projectile use) then the Pork Trooper would be pretty cool. It would give the series a heavyweight up-close and personal representative.
I dunno man, mooks aren't that hype worthy. I thought you were referring to Pigmasks, I forgot about the Pork Trooper you meet in Chapter 4 in Club Titiboo.

Considering PSI is an important part of Mother, I'm fine with Ness and Lucas using projectiles a lot.

Still

Only if it has a Navy Squeal alt.
This isn't a bad idea either.

Last edited:

MewtwoMOFO

Smash Cadet
I was thinking about Final Smashes, and something came to mind. If Masked Man was put into PM, I recall him having the one lightning move in Mother 3 that renders everyone but Lucas (because of his Franklin Badge) unconscious. It would be awesome to make that move Masked Man's F Smash and have it act similar to Peach's. And maybe just as a cool little Easter egg anybody who picked up a Franklin Badge takes damage but doesn't fall asleep. Idk, just thought it was a cool idea.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Does anyone else find it funny that he's called Masked Man when he's only like 13?

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
It's funnier that it's called a mask at all. It's a brain-control helmet.

I think the mask part comes from the helmet concealing his face as well as the rest of his head.

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
So how about he get back to Skullkid why not? What would his game gimmick be? Maybe his only hurtbox will be the mask itself, and the rest of his body will be kinda like a vestigial body, like it just acts like a sandbag? Would make up for his kinda lack of moves since, again, Skullkid himself is never fought, only Majora is, so although its Skullkid the focus of the character and its power is all the mask.

MewtwoMOFO

Smash Cadet
So how about he get back to Skullkid why not? What would his game gimmick be? Maybe his only hurtbox will be the mask itself, and the rest of his body will be kinda like a vestigial body, like it just acts like a sandbag? Would make up for his kinda lack of moves since, again, Skullkid himself is never fought, only Majora is, so although its Skullkid the focus of the character and its power is all the mask.
That's an interesting concept.. I'm not sure how it would play out but it's certainly a cool idea. I'm sure it would throw off players just by the fact that they're physically hitting the body but no damage is taken. If Skull Kid is revealed to become part of PM's roster, I just really want his F Smash to be the Moon crushing everybody on the stage. Similar to the Snorlax animation.

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
You know, everyone wants Skullkid ... but what about Wolf Link instead? He's in the game, and would be awfully interesting to have a beastial/four-legged fighter in PM. His attacks could be a combination of Wolf Link's bites and such, and Midna's Twilight powers.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
You know, everyone wants Skullkid ... but what about Wolf Link instead? He's in the game, and would be awfully interesting to have a beastial/four-legged fighter in PM. His attacks could be a combination of Wolf Link's bites and such, and Midna's Twilight powers.

It's been suggested. It'd certainly be hype-worthy.

Personally I'd rather see Skull Kid, though. Plus he'd have a hard model to make from Ivysaur if we're gonna use Midna, and Skull Kid's body isn't hard to make in comparison.

Last edited:

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
Would probably be janky to work out.

Also I don't think we need another Link.
Well it would be a Link completely different than the two we already have, Wolf Link isn't going to be shooting arrows or throwing bombs afterall. Plus, at least Wolf Link and Midna have a much more fleshed out moveset than Skullkid has. Plus I just think a feral character would be a neat change of pace, something unexpected, y'know?

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Well it would be a Link completely different than the two we already have, Wolf Link isn't going to be shooting arrows or throwing bombs afterall. Plus, at least Wolf Link and Midna have a much more fleshed out moveset than Skullkid has. Plus I just think a feral character would be a neat change of pace, something unexpected, y'know?
I think Midna shouldn't be on top if this was a thing.

while that would be better canonically, I also think that would be hard to work out modelwise.

Summon her for the B special attacks and that's about it.

MewtwoMOFO

Smash Cadet

Back when TP first came out I was sure that the Wolf transformation would play a part in Link's move set someday. But then Brawl came out and alas, nothing of the sort. I'm not opposed to it, but it would certainly take some clever designing.

The biggest thing I want to see is a character from a less represented franchise like Mother, or even a franchise that is yet to be repped. Zelda has enough roster influence by now.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Back when TP first came out I was sure that the Wolf transformation would play a part in Link's move set someday. But then Brawl came out and alas, nothing of the sort. I'm not opposed to it, but it would certainly take some clever designing.

The biggest thing I want to see is a character from a less represented franchise like Mother, or even a franchise that is yet to be repped. Zelda has enough roster influence by now.
Ashley.

:dazwa:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Are you kidding?
Mother is the most heinously over-repped series in the entire game, with the possible exception of Star Fox.

Rasgar

Smash Apprentice
"Heinously"
Check.

Hey guys, I'm almost at a Ridiculously-Exaggerated-Word-Choice Bingo!
Wow. What a murderously insulting post. May you be consumed by the heartbreaking shame your monumental stupidity calls for.

You may be wondering why I chose the words I did - yeah, I've been looking at your board and I'm deliberately not helping you complete a line. I know that "heartbreaking" isn't even on there.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Kindness and love people :)

Btw, still surprised at how many people think palutena is likely for smash 4 and I think she could work for pm. Also like the idea of "hybrid" characters like Condor/Ridley preferably as a "killer joke character", because yes we want it to look professional but at the end of the day this is a fanwork, and fanworks can do things the official games can't (within reason of course).

If Isaac or Ray or another at gets in what do we do with the at itself? Do we swap it like the ganondorf/black shadow suggestion?

Shin F.

Smash Master
Kindness and love people :)

Btw, still surprised at how many people think palutena is likely for smash 4 and I think she could work for pm. Also like the idea of "hybrid" characters like Condor/Ridley preferably as a "killer joke character", because yes we want it to look professional but at the end of the day this is a fanwork, and fanworks can do things the official games can't (within reason of course).

If Isaac or Ray or another at gets in what do we do with the at itself? Do we swap it like the ganondorf/black shadow suggestion?
Isaac -> Felix or Matthew
Ray MK III -> A different Ray model

MLGF

Smash Lord
A clone engine character that is a clone based off another clone engine character?

...by god.

MewtwoMOFO

Smash Cadet
Are you kidding?
Mother is the most heinously over-repped series in the entire game, with the possible exception of Star Fox.
How so? It has but 2 characters on its roster, and the majority of the people who use them have no idea what series they derive from.

Last edited:

MewtwoMOFO

Smash Cadet
Not really an "expert", but I know it is rather off-putting to see Ray while playing as another Ray.
That's the truth. It still pisses me off when somebody is DeDeDe on Dreamland and he flies through the background. I know the two aspects were designed during different gens but something about it triggers my OCD in a way that I can only describe as a kitty-kat wrestling match.

Last edited:

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
@ Solbliminal Solbliminal Love the Sakurai's cat pic. And it's technically eligible because he "originated" in Brawl :)

Another thing to consider - I don't know how many of y'all know about Smogon but they do the Create-a-Pokemon not just as a fun side project but as a way to examine the current metagame. Would we be interested in considering anything like that for these 5 remaining slots? For example:

To examine the benefits and drawbacks of a certain character, what if we took one character's moveset (ex: Zelda) but made her faster and her attacks weaker (and put a Palutena skin on it)?

Or what about a character meant specifically to counter a popular strategy - that's a big one over on the Smog...

Or my personal choice - create a character that is competitively viable without wavedashing.

Just throwing some stuff out there :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom