• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Slippy means I AM THE FIRST PERSON TO GET THEIR CHARActer IN PM
EVEN IF HE DOESN'T STAY AND IT IS JUST A JOKE, HE WAS THERE LONG ENOUGH FOR THEM TO MAKE FOOTAGE
SO YEAH
I'M PRETTY PROUD

TheNotSoShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheNotSoShyGuy
47… there are 7 clone engine spots, 2 taken by Mewtwo and Roy. However even if all spots are filled, there would be 46 characters. Maybe they are teasing the final amount of characters and they were able to upgrade their clone engine? Maybe that is the amount of days left until the next PM announcement? I don't know...

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
The only question is... which part is the joke? The last April Fool's vid had some truth to it and a part that was purely a joke.
I think most of it is likely true, with the exception of Ridley, of course. It's the next Pichu. Watch, they'll make an icon for Ridley and hide it in the files like Pichu! :laugh:

Shin F.

Smash Master
I think most of it is likely true, with the exception of Ridley, of course. It's the next Pichu. Watch, they'll make an icon for Ridley and hide it in the files like Pichu! :laugh:
Could be Ridley or Slippy. Could also be both. The parts they showed with him could've easily been a Fox with modded animations, and I'm positive that Slippy model (or one very much like it) was already on the vault. And when they've showed character trailers before, they always showed them in the best light with tons of combos and epic moments. Slippy just got his ass kicked, like PMBR was saying, "Nah, get outta here!"

At the same time... well, he's there and he had animations.

I'll hope he's real for Arctic's sake. But only if I get Ninten.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I'm curious, why is everyone taking the Ridley tease at the end as some sort of troll or guaranteed disconfirmation?

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I'm curious, why is everyone taking the Ridley tease at the end as some sort of troll or guaranteed disconfirmation?
Remember what happened to Pichu? He was shown in the exact same manner. Then appeared in icon form in the game's files.
There's also the issue that Ridley could perhaps be announced for Smash Bros 4, so they might not actually put him in the game. The PMBR has noted of that issue before and their action plan if it happens.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Pichu is much more easily recognized as a joke, though, whereas Ridley is a character with a massive fanbase.

I'm keeping him in the potential bin, unless BigAxle knows something we don't. I'm also considering Slippy at this point, but I'm pretty sure that was (an excellent) joke too, but Arctic would definitely be a fan, so there's that.

C'mon PMBR, gimme summa dat space dragon and make this April Fool's not a total failure, just like you did last year! You can do it!

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Remember what happened to Pichu? He was shown in the exact same manner. Then appeared in icon form in the game's files.
There's also the issue that Ridley could perhaps be announced for Smash Bros 4, so they might not actually put him in the game. The PMBR has noted of that issue before and their action plan if it happens.
Oh, I didn't know there was a history with this (re: parallels to Pichu). One mystery solved.

Kneato

Totoro Joe
47… there are 7 clone engine spots, 2 taken by Mewtwo and Roy. However even if all spots are filled, there would be 46 characters. Maybe they are teasing the final amount of characters and they were able to upgrade their clone engine? Maybe that is the amount of days left until the next PM announcement? I don't know...
47 is referring to the numbering of characters in the files. There current count goes up to 46, sonic being the 46th character. This implies Ridley is the 47th character.

Could be Ridley or Slippy. Could also be both. The parts they showed with him could've easily been a Fox with modded animations, and I'm positive that Slippy model (or one very much like it) was already on the vault. And when they've showed character trailers before, they always showed them in the best light with tons of combos and epic moments. Slippy just got his *** kicked, like PMBR was saying, "Nah, get outta here!"

At the same time... well, he's there and he had animations.

I'll hope he's real for Arctic's sake. But only if I get Ninten.
That slippy was almost certainly a joke. It was a fox costume with some modified animations (namely walk and idle). His aerial lasers were identical to fox's. Also, you could tell the audio was ripped straight from the old titles. If he was real, PMBR would have put more work into making them sound quality.

Pretty sure Ridley has already been confirmed as a stage hazard in Smash 4 and not a character.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Thinking of it, Slippy as a fox clone but with Luigi physics isn't a bad idea.

Would kinda like it.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Pretty sure Ridley has already been confirmed as a stage hazard in Smash 4 and not a character.
There's no "confirmation" anywhere, just speculation. This isn't the place to discuss it, however.

That said, I'm also not sold on Ridley being the joke this year. PMBR did a good job last year giving us real announcements AND jokes, and this year they gave us a bunch of things to scratch our heads over.

Kudos. I guess we'll see soon enough what's fake and what, if anything, is not.

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
That slippy was almost certainly a joke. It was a fox costume with some modified animations (namely walk and idle). His aerial lasers were identical to fox's. Also, you could tell the audio was ripped straight from the old titles. If he was real, PMBR would have put more work into making them sound quality.
The audio was used as the main part of the joke; Slippy would obviously would have standard yells and grunts normally, but they couldn't be used at the same time or he would be talking over himself. Slippy also had new jump and fall animations (and I'm sure more), leading me to believe this is either a very extensive joke, or he is currently a work in progress. The P:M staff claimed during the AMA awhile back that they were just then starting to seriously discuss new clone engine characters after Roy and Mewtwo, so (a) new character(s) would not be finished this early in time.

I'm not really for or against Slippy, but he does seem like a real possibility at this point.

Last edited:

Kneato

Totoro Joe
There's no "confirmation" anywhere, just speculation. This isn't the place to discuss it, however.

That said, I'm also not sold on Ridley being the joke this year. PMBR did a good job last year giving us real announcements AND jokes, and this year they gave us a bunch of things to scratch our heads over.

Kudos. I guess we'll see soon enough what's fake and what, if anything, is not.
My mistake, I looked back and the "Pic of the Day" I saw with Ridley as a stage hazard was a fraud.

Actually the current count only goes to 41.
Actually it goes to 46

Older version I know, but nonetheless.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Actually it goes to 46

Older version I know, but nonetheless.
Not quite. Sonic's ID is 46 in there, but there are empty IDs before him, and Wario takes up two cosmetic IDs. Taking into account the empty slots and Wario's two, there are indeed 41 characters, although there are 46 slots (45 if you count Wario's two as a single slot).

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Yeah, but I think the implication is pretty clear. It's hinting at a character, but whether it's the PMBR pulling our leg, or just trying to confuse us, or something else, will only be told with time I guess.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Never be too sure, because most of us thought that about Turbo Mode too!
I feel like Double Mode is real. Dantarion has posted pics before of double characters. I specifically remember Marth and Link. That says to me he may have already been working on it, and recently got it to work near perfectly, if not flawlessly.

Cool Blue

Smash Journeyman
I feel like Double Mode is real. Dantarion has posted pics before of double characters. I specifically remember Marth and Link. That says to me he may have already been working on it, and recently got it to work near perfectly, if not flawlessly.
I'm pretty sure Dantarion has also said that it doesn't work for every character.

l3thargy

Smash Journeyman
you wouldn't happen to know where one could find said pics would ya?

Shin F.

Smash Master
you wouldn't happen to know where one could find said pics would ya?
I posted them in the thread way back. I'll see if I can find them again. I'll repost if I do.

Edit: Found them much more easily than expected.
These have existed, by the way, since at least December, possibly before then.

Last edited:

l3thargy

Smash Journeyman
I posted them in the thread way back. I'll see if I can find them again. I'll repost if I do.

Edit: Found them much more easily than expected.
These have existed, by the way, since at least December, possibly before then.

I remember hearing about this now, omg the barrage of projectiles you would have with two Links I can only imagine lol we'd have Oot link and Tp link throwing out the boomerang, bombs, hookshot and arrows all day rofl

Shin F.

Smash Master

I remember hearing about this now, omg the barrage of projectiles you would have with two Links I can only imagine lol we'd have Oot link and Tp link throwing out the boomerang, bombs, hookshot and arrows all day rofl
Not just Link, either! Toon Link, Samus, Pit, and let's not even get started on the possibilities of the Double Falcon Punch.

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
Wait a minute, I just realized... if this is possible... does that mean every character in Double Mode would wear Ice Climber gear? Can you imagine? Probably wouldn't happen (especially since Ike Climbers used ZSS for the role as Nana, and it would take up a lot of memory), but can you imagine Bowser or Ganon in blue and pink parkas?

l3thargy

Smash Journeyman
Not just Link, either! Toon Link, Samus, Pit, and let's not even get started on the possibilities of the Double Falcon Punch.
lol the universe can barely handle one of those fearsome punches, just look at that bad anime for example, now imagine the power of two of them lmao

Cool Blue

Smash Journeyman
Wait a minute, I just realized... if this is possible... does that mean every character in Double Mode would wear Ice Climber gear? Can you imagine? Probably wouldn't happen (especially since Ike Climbers used ZSS for the role as Nana, and it would take up a lot of memory), but can you imagine Bowser or Ganon in blue and pink parkas?
That would be hilarious!

Shin F.

Smash Master
I doubt it, that would require extra costumes for each character. It might take up less memory if the game just loaded two pre-existing costumes for them. Default Ike could perhaps load Yellow Ike for its second costume, Red Ike could load the other reddish Ike for the red team costume, etc.

Could you imagine a Mario/Doc Mario teamup? Epic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom