• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
So this thread ISN'T dead!?

Cool, I was thinking about posting in here again.

Yeas, that rumor was just a leak of what they were working on at the moment, testing out different ideas like Sami and whatnot. It's most likely been changed significantly since then.

The reason a lot of people don't like Krystal is because her existence is unnecessary (Fox never needed a love interest), as well as most of her concept art being furry fanservice.

I'll admit that if she had a cool moveset in Smash I wouldn't mind her inclusion, but the important thing to remember is that A LOT OF OTHERS WOULD. Which is why it's imperative that all of our hopes for who makes it in Project M should be more realistic. Not that we shouldn't express our more oddball hopes for fun (it's nice seeing discussion on how an outlandish character or another could work within the limitations we have, contrasting Smash 4's Wild West speculation where there ARE no limitations), it's just try not to actively and constantly hope for characters we know have little or no chance.

So yeah, I personally wouldn't mind some Krystal discussion for fun even if I don't like her, but let's not get too hung up on wanting her in because we all know how unpopular she and some of our own personal hopes are.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Could someone find the full leak again? I'm curious about what it said. I remember Knuckles, Isaac, and Sami, but I don't remember if that was all...

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
I like Krystal personally, yeah Fox didn't need a love interest, but her inclusion I don't think hurt the franchise any, if only expanded it. Plus I do think it would make a rather awesome moveset using the staff moves from SFAdv for her abilities, there are some great ones not only for specials but for melee moves as well. I think she honestly has as much of a shot as anyone else does, I mean yeah she has her haters, but people are still begging for Waluigi, and he also has quite a hatedom as well for being a useless Mario clone of a clone (no hate, but he is a clone of Luigi who originally was a clone of Mario).

And again, no Waluigi hate, but Krystal would certainly have more options of a moveset than Waluigi does.

Someone I have thought about but have no idea how he would work would be King K. Rool, he's just so big, slow, and clumsy, doubt he'd really make a viable option.

Cool Blue

Smash Journeyman
alo81: "What are your guys thoughts on adding non-Nintendo characters? Is it just something you wouldn't even consider, or is it an option on the table (though I'd imagine a fairly tough one.)"

warchamp7: "Not even entertaining the idea, we're doing our best to stay in Nintendo's good graces as much as possible"

In the OP.
Then how come there are non-Nintendo characters listed as viable choices?

Shin F.

Smash Master
alo81: "What are your guys thoughts on adding non-Nintendo characters? Is it just something you wouldn't even consider, or is it an option on the table (though I'd imagine a fairly tough one.)"

warchamp7: "Not even entertaining the idea, we're doing our best to stay in Nintendo's good graces as much as possible"
In the OP.
Pretty sure PMBR has also said that this doesn't apply if the character was in Brawl. Can't remember where. I think one of them said something about Shadow falling within the rules.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Lyn.
How is it the 2nd most requested of those is the one people forget?
It has me questioning how much support Lyn really has TBH.

Anyways, the "leak" was awesome because even haters of specific character were OK with it as a whole. I think that speaks a lot about who the PM:BR decides on.

Last edited:

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
The only choices that can be added to Project M are character who originally appeared in Brawl as either Trophies, Assists, or Stickers. Since the Sonic games were included, Shadow is viable via being an assist, and Tails, Knuckles, and Silver all appear in the background of Greenhill Zone. This is why they can be added to the game (in theory) but, say, Giygas or Zoroark who are not in the game data at all cannot. It's to avoid giving Nintendo or any game company an opportunity to issue a Cease and Desist order for breech of copyright. If the likeness of a character is already in the game, copyrights have already been obtained for their use in Brawl/Project M.

Or something like that.

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
Lyn.
How is it the 2nd most requested of those is the one people forget?
It has me questioning how much support Lyn really has TBH.

Anyways, the "leak" was awesome because even haters of specific character we OK with it as a whole. I think that speaks a lot about who the PM:BR decides on.
I'd rather see Isaac's inclusion before Lyn to be honest. Fire Emblem already has three reps, Golden Sun has goose egg.

Cool Blue

Smash Journeyman
The only choices that can be added to Project M are character who originally appeared in Brawl as either Trophies, Assists, or Stickers. Since the Sonic games were included, Shadow is viable via being an assist, and Tails, Knuckles, and Silver all appear in the background of Greenhill Zone. This is why they can be added to the game (in theory) but, say, Giygas or Zoroark who are not in the game data at all cannot. It's to avoid giving Nintendo or any game company an opportunity to issue a Cease and Desist order for breech of copyright. If the likeness of a character is already in the game, copyrights have already been obtained for their use in Brawl/Project M.

Or something like that.
I am well aware of this.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
It says it right before the Sonic characters that they likely aren't viable choices. I just read it.
Pretty sure PMBR has also said that this doesn't apply if the character was in Brawl. Can't remember where. I think one of them said something about Shadow falling within the rules.
Think that was the original stance this thread had, but that quote likely changes things.

HayabusaTaichou

Smash Apprentice
I vaguely remember someone coming into this thread from the PMBR and clarifying that the no third part rule doesn't apply to Metal Gear or Sonic. I could not possibly consider bothering to actually find it but I'd take that as the case unless someone from the PMBR specifically says that they're out.

Well it's not like they're really wanted anyway so there's no point in worrying about it.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
I would like to vote for Shadow, Pichu, Knuckles, Waluigi, and Palutena. I would also like to downvote Issac, Lyn, King K. Rool, Ridley, and Black Shadow because I've never heard of any of them.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
How do you reply to posts? Sorry I just made this account today.
at TRJV, what are you talking about? Is voting over?

TheNotSoShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheNotSoShyGuy
I think we got something out of today's video. Double Mode will probably be a thing. Like Turbo Mode, you select it in the special menu, and then your characters are treated like the Ice Climbers, where you have two of each character you control.

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
Some things of note:

Although Slippy is obviously a clone of Fox, he does have several new, custom animations. Why put in all that effort for a quick gag?

This appears in-between Slippy's '20XX' announcement and Ridley's:

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

MLGF

Smash Lord
It's all symbolic!

Slippy means we'll get another spacie
Ike Climbers means there will be IC clones
And Ridley means Pichu!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom