• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
To be quite honest here, Skull Kid is the only one on that list that genuinely deserves the spot over Medli. No matter how much I like the King of Hyrule concept Spire gave us, he's a character I would have never even imagined being chosen for a character slot. Tingle could probably be put in as a troll character and you know what people around here think of joke characters... He's no more important than Medli is, and he's pretty despised here in the states unlike in Japan.

So all in all, if a Zelda character would get in, it's probably going to be Skull Kid. I like that idea and at the same time I'm a little sad that the WW timeline won't get anymore representation.

Also, Medli is a Rito. The only other bird we have amongst the smash cast is Falco. We could use some more birds lol

Shin F.

Smash Master

To be quite honest here, Skull Kid is the only one on that list that genuinely deserves the spot over Medli. No matter how much I like the King of Hyrule concept Spire gave us, he's a character I would have never even imagined being chosen for a character slot. Tingle could probably be put in as a troll character and you know what people around here think of joke characters... He's no more important than Medli is, and he's pretty despised here in the states unlike in Japan.

So all in all, if a Zelda character would get in, it's probably going to be Skull Kid. I like that idea and at the same time I'm a little sad that the WW timeline won't get anymore representation.

Also, Medli is a Rito. The only other bird we have amongst the smash cast is Falco. We could use some more birds lol
Samus was infused with Chozo DNA, she totally counts.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Boy, I picked a good time to play Elsword. It looks like a bomb hit this thread. And the explosion was filled with salt.

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, that's a good question. Well, how about a more obscure choice? Have you guys played Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru or 'For the Frog the Bell Tolls'? It was developed by Nintendo R&D1 and Intelligent Systems, whom then turned the engine over to Capcom so they could develop Link's Awakening. In fact, the main 'antagonist' from the game, Prince Richard, makes a cameo in a side-quest in Link's Awakening, and the main character Sabure Prince has a sticker in Brawl.

The game itself is quite great actually (there is a fantastic English translation patch if anyone is interested) and Prince Sabure has the interesting ability to transform into a frog or a snake. As far as height/proportions go, Toon Link would make a pretty good base. What do you guys think?

Here are some pictures of the character:

And a video of the first few minutes of English patched gameplay:

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Hmm, that's a good question. Well, how about a more obscure choice? Have you guys played Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru or 'For the Frog the Bell Tolls'? It was developed by Nintendo R&D1 and Intelligent Systems, whom then turned the engine over to Capcom so they could develop Link's Awakening. In fact, the main 'antagonist' from the game, Prince Richard, makes a cameo in a side-quest in Link's Awakening, and the main character Sabure Prince has a sticker in Brawl.

The game itself is quite great actually (there is a fantastic English translation patch if anyone is interested) and Prince Sabure has the interesting ability to transform into a frog or a snake. As far as height/proportions go, Toon Link would make a pretty good base. What do you guys think?

I haven't played it, but I've seen much about it and I know Prince Sable / Sabure has supporters at least in the SSB4 forums. (BluePikmin immediatley comes to mind). I know he can change into a frog and a snake, and uses a sword, but other than that I'm not sure what else. He's certainly an interesting possibility. What kind of moveset do you think he would have? If he's got a pretty good and convincing one, I'll definitely half-vote.

Toon Link does seem to have a very similar build, just lengthen the legs a bit I'd say.

Last edited:

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
I think isaac would be nice Friesnchip
You're gosh darn right he would!

And Shin, I'm not quite certain as to Sabure's moveset yet, I'll have to give it some thought. It would be cool to hear what others have to say, cause fleshing out this character seems like it could be a fun creative challenge.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
You're gosh darn right he would!

And Shin, I'm not quite certain as to Sabure's moveset yet, I'll have to give it some thought. It would be cool to hear what others have to say, cause this fleshing out this character seems like it could be a fun creative challenge.
It does indeed!

By the way @ Solbliminal Solbliminal I've got a very rough sketch of most of the original moves I'd envisioned for Ninten (very rough - like one minutes sketches for each move). I've just got to scan them some time today, then I'll post them here.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482

I'm watching this gameplay and just kind of laughing.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What kind of attacks does he use besides a sword? I don't want to be that guy since I'm an issac supporter but what kind of playstyle would we be looking at to make him different from a fire emblem character? We've got the fast swordsman in marth and the Mid-Slow in Roy and Ike.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
I'm watching this gameplay and just kind of laughing.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What kind of attacks does he use besides a sword? I don't want to be that guy since I'm an issac supporter but what kind of playstyle would we be looking at to make him different from a fire emblem character? We've got the fast swordsman in marth and the Mid-Slow in Roy and Ike.
He said he can turn into a frog and a snake. There are many ways to swing a sword, also.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
He said he can turn into a frog and a snake. There are many ways to swing a sword, also.
Transformations are difficult so we could just ignore that.

Yeah there's plenty of ways to swing a sword. But there's plenty of ways that functionally would act the same or be completely unviable.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Transformations are difficult so we could just ignore that.

Yeah there's plenty of ways to swing a sword. But there's plenty of ways that functionally would act the same or be completely unviable.
They don't have to be full-scale transforms. He could just transform for a single move (his specials), then change back, which would be far easier to do. Samus does it for her Crawl and her Bomb, for instance.

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
They don't have to be full-scale transforms. He could just transform for a single move (his specials), then change back, which would be far easier to do. Samus does it for her Crawl and her Bomb, for instance.
That super creepy feel when you can imagine this dude transforming into a frog to do his up B as a recovery.

What happens if they get hit during it? I bet the transformation back would look janky.

Shin F.

Smash Master
That super creepy feel when you can imagine this dude transforming into a frog to do his up B as a recovery.

What happens if they get hit during it? I bet the transformation back would look janky.
I can see the transform back being just as smooth as the transformation to, even being hit. I'd make the model transition to white, then change shape very quickly and transition into the new form. Make it happen in like 1/4 of a second.

I'd make his crawl him turning into a snake and slithering on the ground. Might make his down-b a snake bite that inflicts poison / flower. (I know nothing about the game so sorry if that doesn't really fit him :p)

Last edited:

Cool Blue

Smash Journeyman

The PMBR wouldn't put in "janky" animations. They are very professional in their work.
That being said, I don't really like the idea of this character because of how obscure he is. I am not a fan of obscure characters.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Es tru. But I would want him to take additional knockback while transformed if that was possible.

Would B cool and make people think about when to use recoveries.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Es tru. But I would want him to take additional knockback while transformed if that was possible.

Would B cool and make people think about when to use recoveries.
That'd be a huge handicap if he used transformations for all his specials. If he's going to have a drawback like that, his transformations needs to pack some serious punch. High risk, high reward.

I'm really liking the sound of this already. This concept is unique and interesting enough to earn my +1/2.

+ 1/2 Prince Sable / Sabure Prince

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
That'd be a huge handicap if he used transformations for all his specials. If he's going to have a drawback like that, his transformations needs to pack some serious punch. High risk, high reward.

I'm really liking the sound of this already. This concept is unique and interesting enough to earn my +1/2.

+ 1/2 Prince Sable / Sabure Prince
Snake form could work as his crawl. Really short so it would be really hard to grab.

Would also suggest that it be relatively fast. Maybe a little less than sonic for slithering snake repositioning mindgames.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Snake form could work as his crawl. Really short so it would be really hard to grab.

Would also suggest that it be relatively fast. Maybe a little less than sonic for slithering snake repositioning mindgames.
I would like to suggest, as a quick way to go from other actions to snake crawling, his side special should immediately make him dive forward (and downward in the air) and transform into a snake, sending him quickly into crawling while biting anything in his path before he hits the ground. It would act like Pit's side special, but he would crawl instead of glide.

I would also make it possible for other moves to cancel into side-special for quick combos / getaways, but that depends entirely on balance.

Of course, he would also have a standard crawl attack in addition to a special crawl attack. Perhaps the standard crawl attack could be a normal bite and the special one could be a venomous / flower bite that deals less initial damage but hurts over time.

You know, this thread has put out some cheese, but it's also put out some really awesome ideas for characters like Balloon Fighter, Skull Kid, Isaac and Sable, and all most of the other awesome characters we've discussed.

Last edited:

Cool Blue

Smash Journeyman
I would like to suggest, as a quick way to go from other actions to snake crawling, his side special should immediately make him dive forward (and downward in the air) and transform into a snake, sending him quickly into crawling while biting anything in his path before he hits the ground. It would act like Pit's side special, but he would crawl instead of glide.

I would also make it possible for other moves to cancel into side-special for quick combos / getaways, but that depends entirely on balance.

Of course, he would also have a standard crawl attack in addition to a special crawl attack. Perhaps the standard crawl attack could be a normal bite and the special one could be a venomous / flower bite that deals less initial damage but hurts over time.

You know, this thread has put out some cheese, but it's also put out some really awesome ideas for characters like Balloon Fighter, Skull Kid, Isaac and Sable, and all most of the other awesome characters we've discussed.
Speaking of which, are there any new ideas considering Balloon Fighter?

Shin F.

Smash Master
Speaking of which, are there any new ideas considering Balloon Fighter?
Not sure if you saw it, but there was an awesome mechanic with his balloons that would allow him to go from being floaty to a fast-faller by blowing more balloons or popping them. The fewer balloons, the faster he falls. More balloons would also give him more jumps. So he can be floaty with good recovery, or he can have lesser recovery but better combo game, and he can choose to switch back and forth as needed (or choose to stick with a middle ground). Pretty dynamic and awesome.

Last edited:

Cool Blue

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if you saw it, but there was an awesome mechanic with his balloons that would allow him to go from being floaty to a fast-faller by blowing more balloons or popping them. The few balloons, the faster he falls. More balloons would also give him more jumps. So he can be floaty with good recovery, or he can have lesser recovery but better combo game, and he can choose to switch back and forth as needed (or choose to stick with a middle ground). Pretty dynamic and awesome.
That sounds really cool! I don't know if it could be implemented, but if it can, then it would be really interesting to fight against!

SmashBrosPM

Smash Cadet
To the Project M Team,

I think you should proceed this way for choose you character...

1-Ask peoples (that has been already made)

2-Choose 3 characters from the Full Votes. These characters should be from not over-represented series.
In this case, I would have choose:
-Isaac, from Golden Sun (unrepresented),
-Ridley, from Metroid (1 character only, not counting Zero Suit Samus),
-Black Shadow/Sword Ganondorf from F-Zero (1 character only) and Zelda (5 characters but will unchangedà

3-Choose one character from the 1/2 votes. This character should be from a not over-represented series, important and easily clonable.
In this case, I would have choose Dixie Kong (Main character in Donkey Kong Country 3, a major game in the Donkey Kong series).

4-Choose the character that the Project M Team would like to see in the game! After all, You have the choice!

Shin F.

Smash Master
To the Project M Team,

I think you should proceed this way for choose you character...

1-Ask peoples (that has been already made)

2-Choose 3 characters from the Full Votes. These characters should be from not over-represented series.
In this case, I would have choose:
-Isaac, from Golden Sun (unrepresented),
-Ridley, from Metroid (1 character only, not counting Zero Suit Samus),
-Black Shadow/Sword Ganondorf from F-Zero (1 character only) and Zelda (5 characters but will unchangedà

3-Choose one character from the 1/2 votes. This character should be from a not over-represented series, important and easily clonable.
In this case, I would have choose Dixie Kong (Main character in Donkey Kong Country 3, a major game in the Donkey Kong series).

4-Choose the character that the Project M Team would like to see in the game! After all, You have the choice!
Umm, everyone full-voted and half-voted different characters. A lot of people full-voted Isaac, but some people only half-voted him. Many half-voted Dixie, but some people Full-voted her, so it really wouldn't work like that. Just about every character has a handful of full-votes and half-votes both.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I like the idea behind the Prince of Sable and have warmed up to him a lot recently. He has the potential for a very fun and really unique move set when considering his two transformations and he also represents another aspect of Nintendo history (early Game Boy era games/region specific titles) that might not get the exposure it could. At the same time, there's already so much fierce competition for newbies in Smash proper and the Project M clone character slots that it begins to feel like one can lose track of their desires or "bandwagon" to the point of improbability.

If there were more details on what Smash 4 was doing, more PM clone slots available and every last one of the potential votes were listed in the OP, it'd make a lot of decisions easier for me.

The PMBR wouldn't put in "janky" animations. They are very professional in their work.
That being said, I don't really like the idea of this character because of how obscure he is. I am not a fan of obscure characters.
I like the idea of going obscure for a few characters in these rosters just to give new life or visibility to franchises no one would have given a shot before or just for the growth of appreciation for the things lurking around the Nintendo vault. While I don't know what the PMBR's goals are with regards to anything more than making highly competitive and functionally sound design, I'd certainly like it if they were as much Nintendorks as they were game design buffs.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Here they are, finally scanned them and put them together. They're a bit rough because I rushed them, but I hope you guys like them as much as when I described them with just words. I'm open to suggestions, even if I probably won't draw them out (too much time :p)

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Shin, I hate your Ninten moveset for being so close in spirit to my Mike Jones moveset. Now I'm already hearing all the cries of Ness/Ninten clone and Mike further shrinks into irrelevance. lol

GJ

Shin F.

Smash Master
Shin, I hate your Ninten moveset for being so close in spirit to my Mike Jones moveset. Now I'm already hearing all the cries of Ness/Ninten clone and Mike further shrinks into irrelevance. lol

GJ
Think of it this way: Mike wasn't in Brawl so he's not eligible, BUT if Ninten is chosen, then you can always skin him as Mike in your own builds :3 (I would probably have a Mike Jones alt for him in mine with his clothes, if nothing else.)

Ninten and Mike are practically brothers at this point :)

Last edited:

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Think of it this way: Mike wasn't in Brawl so he's not eligible, BUT if Ninten is chosen, then you can always skin him as Mike in your own builds :3 (I would probably have a Mike Jones alt for him in mine with his clothes, if nothing else.)

Ninten and Mike are practically the OTP at this point :)
fix'd

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Here they are, finally scanned them and put them together. They're a bit rough because I rushed them, but I hope you guys like them as much as when I described them with just words. I'm open to suggestions, even if I probably won't draw them out (too much time :p)

He looks like a mix between Mike Jones from StarTropics and how Ninten plays in Mother. I like it! It's kind of like how Villager in SSB4 references Balloon Fighter with his up special.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
XD

I can't. I just can't XD
He looks like a mix between Mike Jones from StarTropics and how Ninten plays in Mother. I like it! It's kind of like how Villager in SSB4 references Balloon Fighter with his up special.
Thanks :D That's kind of what I was thinking. Mike Jones using his yoyo was actually what gave me the inspiration for emphasizing his items a bit more. We can't have Mike because he wasn't in Brawl, but we can sort of have a part of him in spirit this way.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143

Ninten and Mike are practically brothers at this point :)
Ha ha, I know. Mike was never a serious contender for the PM clone engine, but speaking in general, your Ninten embodies a lot of the yo-yo/flail based offense I've wanted to see in a Smash type game since forever. (It still doesn't go far enough but its understandable since you're working with different subject material.) As for alts, I'd love to see Ninten with Mike's jacket, black shirt and denims from ST2. Always preferred that look to his ST1 blue shirt and jeans even though I more than prefer ST1 for anything regarding his appearance in the future.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454

>Rough Sketches
>Still better than anything I could do given hours of time

Ima finally give Ninten a 1/2 vote
GJ

SmashBrosPM

Smash Cadet
Umm, everyone full-voted and half-voted different characters. A lot of people full-voted Isaac, but some people only half-voted him. Many half-voted Dixie, but some people Full-voted her, so it really wouldn't work like that. Just about every character has a handful of full-votes and half-votes both.
I was speaking about the final classement.

SmashBrosPM

Smash Cadet
I was thinking... Isaac not MUST use a Sword! I imagined a moveset with only Psynergy attacks!

SPOIL!!!

Standard Special: Mars Move Psynergy - This attack was Issac’s move as an Assist Trophy. This one doesn’t have stages to get more powerful but the more you hold it down, the farther the hand will move pushing your opponents. The size will not be the same as in the assist trophy to make it easier to escape. There will be a cool-down time so you cannot just constantly push opponents away.

Side Special: Mercury Prism Psynergy - This attack would be similar to Samus’ missiles as he would send out crystals at opponents in a straight line. You can charge it to go from Prism to Hail Prism to Freeze Prism

Up Special: Jupiter Whirlwind Psynergy - Normally this is an attack with a whirlwind in the game but this could be used as a tornado that pushes Isaac up while attacking all who try to get under him. This attack will only go upwards and the tornado will only exist based on the distance he traveled but the longer you hold the button to start your attack it will go from whirlwind to tornado to tempest giving you ore power and a faster recovey

Down Special: Venus Quake Psynergy - Similar to DK’s down special where he smacks the ground, this will attack the ground hurting anyone on the ground. This will go in one direction and will go farther based on how long the attack is charged going from Quake to Earthquake to Quake Sphere.

Final Smash: Mars Volcano Psynergy - Here we take a very powerful attack in the game as a large volcano appears in the background and send fireballs through the sky towards the screen similar to PK Starstorm but the lava will also run along the base platform so Final Destination will be extremely difficult to win on but other stages might have better luck of missing the lava.

END OF SPOIL!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom