• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
But he is highly expected to be in SSB4. What if the vote is a waste?
Sakurai hates all the cool characters, He missed his chance to put Banjo in Smash 64, Megaman hasn't gotten in until just now, and then there's Rosalina. I think the Condor's fine, because Sakurai's a ***** and doesn't recognize a swaggin' ass mutha****a when he sees one.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Hello and welcome to Waluigi Island. We all love you, when you bring your money. When you leave your money at home, you can get the hell out.
All these plumbers and not one of them is doing their job right. This is why humans get replaced by machines.

I need Masked Man

I need both, man.

But Ninten is more important so in a perfect world he'll have more priority.
In a perfect world, Shadow the Hedgehog would have a good game.

Sakurai hates all the cool characters, He missed his chance to put Banjo in Smash 64, Megaman hasn't gotten in until just now, and then there's Rosalina. I think the Condor's fine, because Sakurai's a ***** and doesn't recognize a swaggin' *** mutha****a when he sees one.
I'm still waiting on some Custom Robo representation yo.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Robo Mario?
Robario?
But honestly, Guilty Gear has told me that cheap robo knockoffs can be awesome.

RoboFox for 4th spacie

Last edited:

TheNotSoShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheNotSoShyGuy
OK, I am convinced of Ninten now. I love the Mother series and I could like him, even though like everyone else, Mother 1 is my least favorite (but I still like it a lot). Definitely deserves a 1/2 vote from me. He's not quite a character I REALLY want in, but it is one I don't mind seeing put in.

So from all the way from like page 8 I think, after a few changes, these are now my current votes:
+1
Waluigi
(Removing Mac due to Smash 4)

Isaac (TBH, if he gets conformed for Smash 4, I will also take him off the list.)

Also I will try to play Golden Sun again soon so I can double check my opinions on him and see if I REALLY want him.

+1/2
Ninten (congrats on being my first 1/2 vote)

And I still refuse to do negative votes. So there we go. Who knows where my votes will go now?

PS: I'm gonna post this again,
just because...

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
OK, I am convinced of Ninten now. I love the Mother series and I could like him, even though like everyone else, Mother 1 is my least favorite (but I still like it a lot). Definitely deserves a 1/2 vote from me. He's not quite a character I REALLY want in, but it is one I don't mind seeing put in.

So from all the way from like page 8 I think, after a few changes, these are now my current votes:
+1
Waluigi
(Removing Mac due to Smash 4)

Isaac (TBH, if he gets conformed for Smash 4, I will also take him off the list.)

Also I will try to play Golden Sun again soon so I can double check my opinions on him and see if I REALLY want him.

+1/2
Ninten (congrats on being my first 1/2 vote)

And I still refuse to do negative votes. So there we go. Who knows where my votes will go now?

PS: I'm gonna post this again,
just because...
That Robo-Waluigi is an imposter.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
What are the rules regarding whole votes currently? I'm heavily considering dropping Ridley and promoting Lip or Ray instead.

SmashBrosPM

Smash Cadet
Ok! My Classement!

+1 Votes:

-Dixie Kong: That's one of the two characters that I absolutely want to see in PM. She could be cloned from Diddy, but also have a new revovery with his hair! And she was also on the Brawl's Forbidden Seven Characters! The only thing that can stop her is that she would maybe appear in SSB4.

-Isaac: The main characters of a beautiful unrepresented series (besides the music and the Assist Trophy). I really like Golden Sun! And Isaac could really have a cool NEW moveset (IDK how to make it from another character). He would maybe appear in SSB4 due to popular demand however... (P.S. You should implent a NEW Golden Sun Stage like you did with Skyloft in place of the DK 64 Stage! The Venus Lighthouse should be perfect! If you want some music suggestions, just tell me!)

-Tails: I know that it's again a Sonic Series character... But I think that he has a very good potential! Some attacks could be imported from Sonic (such as the Spin Dash) while adding flying abilities (Pit) and multiple jumps (Kirby). And it was also highly rumored to appear in Melee with Sonic! I think it could be cool to see that truely!

-Ridley: I think that the Metroid Series needs one more character. A villain should be great! Then, I would have say Ridley. He is very popular and one of my favorite Nintendo Characters!

-Bowser Junior: This could extend the Mario roster, and it's a very popular character! The moveset could be inspired by Bowser one, but also, some new moves can be done with his magic brush! So it will be a complete character!

+1/2 Votes:

-Toon Zelda/Tetra: Appear on the Forbidden Seven characters list. Tetra should be a great new character, with moves inspired from Toon Link. Toon Zelda should be a faster version of Zelda. Not in my favorites because it would put the number of 5 characters to 7 characters for the Zelda Series Roster (overkill).

-Dark Samus: Like I said before, I want a new Metroid villain on SSB! If you find Ridley too long to make, then, make Dark Samus, a cooler and faster clone of Samus (except that there's no Zero Suit Samus).

-Plusle & Minun: Appear on the Forbidden Seven characters list. I think they would be better than Pichu Comeback. The would attack together, just like the Ice Climbers. Not in my favorites because I don't want 8 playable Pokemon on Project M...

-Skull Kid: I was a real fan of Skull Kid in the past! I really wanted it in Melee and Brawl... But now, I find it a bit old, and if a new Zelda character have to appear, I think Toon Zelda/Tetra should be more appropriate. And 6 Zelda characters should be a bit overkill.

-1 Votes:

-Lyn: I think 3 characters for the Fire Emblem series is sufficient! No more needed!
-Black Shadow: DON'T TOUCH TO MY GANONDORF!!! Then, I don't know how his gameplay could be...
-King K. Roll: I want Dixie!
-Saki: Kept her as an assist trophy and release another more popular character.

-Skapon: It's far from an important Nintendo character! If you want to represent a new series, then choose Golden Sun!

Last edited:

Rasgar

Smash Apprentice
Whoops double post. Browser was freezing on me.

Last edited:

TheNotSoShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheNotSoShyGuy
What are the rules regarding whole votes currently? I'm heavily considering dropping Ridley and promoting Lip or Ray instead.
I believe it is still the same. You can have up to 5, and they have to have appeared in Brawl in some form, Anti Guy also recently shot down public domain characters.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
See I didn't want to say anything (re:SmashBrosPM's list) because everyone should have their opinions welcome but then you guys went and did that... :p

I personally don't care about how many people from X franchise are in already if Y character brings something notably lacking in the roster at current to attention.

Public domain characters though? Who was desperate enough to try that? lol

Last edited:

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
See I didn't want to say anything (re:SmashBrosPM's list) because everyone should have their opinions welcome but then you guys went and did that... :p

I personally don't care about how many people from X franchise are in already if Y character brings something notably lacking in the roster at current to attention.

Public domain characters though? Who was desperate enough to try that? lol
I mean, I don't care about franchise over-representation either (I've never down-voted anyone with that argument). I'm also not saying people shouldn't/aren't allowed to care about it, but consistency across reasoning would be nice.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
The rules are that the votes have to be characters you wholeheartedly want. If you cast a vote, make absolutely sure you are not going to change it every time something new comes along. So if you make this change, stick with it.

lightdasher

Smash Lord
I guess poor Medli is too unpopular to be on here eh?

I place a vote for Lyn and Lip (She was on that list thing too right?) though, they're 2 of my most wanted as you could probably tell by my signature.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I guess poor Medli is too unpopular to be on here eh?

I place a vote for Lyn and Lip (She was on that list thing too right?) though, they're 2 of my most wanted as you could probably tell by my signature.
You can vote on whoever you want up to 5 votes. The characters in the intro are just some of the frequently requested. After your top 5 votes, you have an infinite number of +1/2 votes.

I also see Ray and Issac in your signature. Ray has been getting some attention as of recent and Issac is the top contender.

Last edited:

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
I mean, I don't care about franchise over-representation either (I've never down-voted anyone with that argument). I'm also not saying people shouldn't/aren't allowed to care about it, but consistency across reasoning would be nice.

lightdasher

Smash Lord
You can vote on whoever you want up to 5 votes. The characters in the intro are just some of the frequently requested. After your top 5 votes, you have an infinite number of +1/2 votes.

I also see Ray and Issac in your signature. Ray has been getting some attention as of recent and Issac is the top contender.
Oh really? Then I put one forth for Medli too, but I'll probably be the only one. I have a thread in my signature on a thread for Medli if you'd like to see and maybe get a better idea on how she MIGHT work.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Oh really? Then I put one forth for Medli too, but I'll probably be the only one. I have a thread in my signature on a thread for Medli if you'd like to see and maybe get a better idea on how she MIGHT work.
This is a discussion thread for characters for P:M. Do us one better and post the moveset potential of the character here in a spoiler post. If you convince the group of her potential then it could boost her popularity. You just have to show us a convincing case. I mean even the King of Hyrule was a suggestion here recently that caught a lot of attention. Seriously, just think out your votes, post them in the vote format so it is not confusing to Anti-Guy who keeps record of our votes, and have fun chatting about the characters you want to discuss. We are no strangers to off the wall suggestions.

EDIT: Scratch that. I'll do you a solid and post it up here for you. Guys, seriously...this is a really neat moveset and it is well described.

+1/2 vote for Medli or the Medli + Makar duo character

Last edited:

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
This is a discussion thread for characters for P:M. Do us one better and post the moveset potential of the character here in a spoiler post. If you convince the group of her potential then it could boost her popularity. You just have to show us a convincing case. I mean even the King of Hyrule was a suggestion here recently that caught a lot of attention. Seriously, just think out your votes, post them in the vote format so it is not confusing to Anti-Guy who keeps record of our votes, and have fun chatting about the characters you want to discuss. We are no strangers to off the wall suggestions.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
LIGHTDASHER'S MEDLI MOVESET

~Medli+Makar~
Two of my favourite characters, why can't they be playable? On their own or as a single slot

So, what makes them so special? Why them over T.Zelda?
It would clear off a potential clone, and be something unexpected and unique, what with Wind Waker HD they could easily represent both the game, and (Toon) Links companions who help him throughout the game.

They each have their own important role within the game, and both share something only 1 other Zelda character has achieved (Being playable besides Link)
Although of course this doesn't really mean they deserve being playable over TZelda in itself, but they pretty high up there if you ask me.

~Palettes~
Can you recognize who the 3 on the bottom reference?

Movesets
At the moment I've only created one for Medli on her own, but I assure you I have more in store in my head

Medli

B Moves

Flips her opponent around similar to Marios cape, 2%

Has a shine similar to Foxs, but only effects the front, can be angled to reflect projectiles

If the opponent is caught, she is launched towards them slamming into her opponent doing around 16% altogether (6% for latching on and 10% for slamming into. Doesn't act as a tether in the air. Her grab does though.

Medli isn't a very strong flier, shown in Windwaker, fly too long and you'll fall down helplessly

A Moves
(WIP)

2% , 6%, 10%
18% altogether

5%

6%

5%
Dash (Wip)

Smashes
(No progress yet)
Told you, nothing

Grabs
(No progress yet)
Told you, nothing

Final Smash
(No progress yet)
Told you, nothing

Taunts, this will be used to switch between Makar and Medli
(No progress yet)
Told you, nothing

Makar

(wip)

Feel free to post your thoughts and/or movesets here, I may even work them into my ones. (ooOOooh Animaty goodness)

Other peoples movesets

lightdasher

Smash Lord

EDIT: Scratch that. I'll do you a solid and post it up here for you. Guys, seriously...this is a really neat moveset and it is well described. +1/2 vote for Medli
Still gonna post it here in a spoiler incase some of you don't want to leave the comfort of this thread.

EDIT: Oh, solbliminal already posted it, but the one in this post has some of the missing moves like smashes and grabs, I would also prefer Medli on her on, instead of Makar alongside.

vv Medlis Moveset vv
Here is Medli

She could sit in and represent a second side to the Toon games and Windwaker, as well as not be another version of the same character so to speak.
In this image I have her the size of Toon Link, She wouldn't be that fast on ground compared to Toon Link however, she'd be better off in the Air.
Here I have some moves, if they are impossible to recreate within Project M due to limitations, I am perfectly capable with coming up with alternatives that still fit with Medlis character.
First, her B moves, sat in this spoiler within a spoiler

Her Neutral B, acts like Marios Cape, possibly dealing damage, I wont use any damage percents because I have no idea how much damage is too much or too little

Her down B, it's a hold reflect like Foxes, because it reflects light in the game she's from I thought it could act like a shine similar to Fox or PM Ness, only from the front however, and on the first frame or so.

Here's one that might be a little tricky for PM, but I don't know how well you are so I'll write it out anyway.
As it says on the animation, you can tilt it up or down (down if your over a ledge or in the air) if you hit someone with this, it pulls you towards your opponent slamming into them and potentially leading into a combo or a spike if your aim is good enough.

Up B, probably the same as Brawl Pits up B.
Shown in Windwaker, Medli isn't a strong flyer and she normally needs a current or wind under her wings to be able to fly.
Her are some of her A moves and tilts, I haven't animated them all yet, but I will write out the ones I haven't done.

On the second hit we could maybe have her hair do some damage, but that might just be a little bit tricky, simple A combo is simple.
Tilts

Down tilt, sweepy kick, hits low, obviously.

Forward tilt, she's a bird sorta, so using them wings could hurt.

Up tilt, reasonable reach.
This is were I ran out of animations, but that doesn't stop me from talking!
Her dash attack would be her sticking out both her arms like a shove while skidding to a stop.
Her Forward smash would be her slamming her Harp down over the top of her head.
Her Up Smash would be her throwing both her arms up forming into wings both sides.
Her Down smash would be sorta the reverse to her up Smash.
Aerials
Down aerial would be her kicking two of her feet downwards with her arms extended as wings
Her up aerial would be her swinging her wings down while poking her Beak up, sorta like links up Air
FAir would be her slamming her harp forward, similar to her forward smash
Back air would be her kicking her two legs behind her
NAir would just be her twirling.
Grabs
Tether grab, pummel is headbutting with her beak.
Forward throw would just be a kick forward
Back throw would be a swinging throw like marios
Down throw she slams her opponent to the ground and butt slams them
Up throw would be swinging the opponent around and then twirling it so they fly up.
Final smash, now I don't know if this matters, but possibly something like PK starstorm, but with Fire and valoo in the background (like Palutena appears)

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Still gonna post it here in a spoiler incase some of you don't want to leave the comfort of this thread.

EDIT: Oh, solbliminal already posted it, but the one in this post has some of the missing moves like smashes and grabs.

vv Medlis Moveset vv
Here is Medli

She could sit in and represent a second side to the Toon games and Windwaker, as well as not be another version of the same character so to speak.
In this image I have her the size of Toon Link, She wouldn't be that fast on ground compared to Toon Link however, she'd be better off in the Air.
Here I have some moves, if they are impossible to recreate within Project M due to limitations, I am perfectly capable with coming up with alternatives that still fit with Medlis character.
First, her B moves, sat in this spoiler within a spoiler

Her Neutral B, acts like Marios Cape, possibly dealing damage, I wont use any damage percents because I have no idea how much damage is too much or too little

Her down B, it's a hold reflect like Foxes, because it reflects light in the game she's from I thought it could act like a shine similar to Fox or PM Ness, only from the front however, and on the first frame or so.

Here's one that might be a little tricky for PM, but I don't know how well you are so I'll write it out anyway.
As it says on the animation, you can tilt it up or down (down if your over a ledge or in the air) if you hit someone with this, it pulls you towards your opponent slamming into them and potentially leading into a combo or a spike if your aim is good enough.

Up B, probably the same as Brawl Pits up B.
Shown in Windwaker, Medli isn't a strong flyer and she normally needs a current or wind under her wings to be able to fly.
Her are some of her A moves and tilts, I haven't animated them all yet, but I will write out the ones I haven't done.

On the second hit we could maybe have her hair do some damage, but that might just be a little bit tricky, simple A combo is simple.
Tilts

Down tilt, sweepy kick, hits low, obviously.

Forward tilt, she's a bird sorta, so using them wings could hurt.

Up tilt, reasonable reach.
This is were I ran out of animations, but that doesn't stop me from talking!
Her dash attack would be her sticking out both her arms like a shove while skidding to a stop.
Her Forward smash would be her slamming her Harp down over the top of her head.
Her Up Smash would be her throwing both her arms up forming into wings both sides.
Her Down smash would be sorta the reverse to her up Smash.
Aerials
Down aerial would be her kicking two of her feet downwards with her arms extended as wings
Her up aerial would be her swinging her wings down while poking her Beak up, sorta like links up Air
FAir would be her slamming her harp forward, similar to her forward smash
Back air would be her kicking her two legs behind her
NAir would just be her twirling.
Grabs
Tether grab, pummel is headbutting with her beak.
Forward throw would just be a kick forward
Back throw would be a swinging throw like marios
Down throw she slams her opponent to the ground and butt slams them
Up throw would be swinging the opponent around and then twirling it so they fly up.
Final smash, now I don't know if this matters, but possibly something like PK starstorm, but with Fire and valoo in the background (like Palutena appears)
Oh sorry about that. I assumed everything in the moveset posted has been up to date. I do like the idea of a Medli + Makar duo character though. That is actually an interesting idea. I'd back that all day long.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
+1/2 Medli

TBH I was thinking of bringing her up myself at one point since I love her character, but thought she'd be so out there I'd be out of my league tackling a "Spire" character. Also, I'm willing to upvote nearly any Zelda WW character you guys can bring up. God I love that game. Not much of a fan of the DS titles though...

lightdasher

Smash Lord
Medli is more popular than you think actually, it's just people in the smash community just shrug her off as "unimportant side character". At least, from everyone in the Smash community I'VE spoken to.​

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
The moveset in my thread is up to date yes, but this topic I assumed required a complete moveset, so I wrote out what I had planned to animate here.
There are no initial requirements. We just discuss what we wish to see of the characters here and if something catches people's attention, they usually vote on it. It is more of a case of showing how a character would be fun to play in the Project M format. But with that also comes the difficulty of mod programming.

You have to consider the amount of time and polish PMBR has to put into each character they decide to add, assuming they do add another character. Characters are voted on based on desirability and creation difficulty. The reason for this is because the PMBR makes almost everything from scratch so they can make the character the best they possibly can, but no matter what the character has to be ported over a clone of an existing character. If a character has a complex moveset, it will take the PMBR much longer to create the character, as Roy took them somewhere around...700 hours?

This is also why we are limited to 5 votes, because we are only capable of having 5 more characters in PMBR's clone engine (unless things have changed recently, but I highly doubt it). The reason being is that there are 7 slots, 2 of which are occupied by Mewtwo and Roy, that were left blank in Brawl's code where Sakurai had originally planned on adding 7 more characters. Due to time constraints, these slots were left empty with only a few tid bits of data on the characters intended for those slots.

These 5 votes are to signify who we most want to see fill those 5 slots, and the half-votes are characters we would be pleased with seeing if any of our top 5 does not make the cut.

Medli is more popular than you think actually, it's just people in the smash community just shrug her off as "unimportant side character". At least, from everyone in the Smash community I'VE spoken to.​
It is not a matter of just popularity. A lot of people take into consideration things like amount of appearances, impact on the series, seniority, worth, and as I stated above, programming difficulty. Though I think the way you describe Medli is somewhat possible, but may take longer to develop than other choices. That shouldn't stop you from supporting her though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom