• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadoWPassoS

Smash Apprentice
Up vote:
Issac
Lyn
Gray Fox (Metal Gear)
Little Mac (Punch Out, don't know if it will be in Smash 4, but i think it would be nice to have a boxing character. ^^)

1/2 vote:
Andy
Hector
Knuckles
Black Shadow
Dark Samus
Kristal

Down Vote:
Dixie
Ridley
Paper Mario
Pichu
Samurai Goroh
Skapon
Waluigi
Tails
Bowser Jr

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
For all the Zelda ideas out there... Zant, Midna, Toon XXX, Tetra, Ghirahim... sidekick/villain character who only appears in ONE GAME... I think this is actually a great idea. Of all the Zelda characters, Impa is one of the only other recurring characters (although her form and shape is often different).

There's only one major problem... she doesn't appear in Brawl at all.

Edit: Damn, got ninjad

Really, is this that much of an issue? Is this an official type of rule?

MLGF

Smash Lord
Let's make Pokemon Trainer a playable character, but instead of being based on Red it should be based on Blue.

And the only special he has is TM 87

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Upvote
Pichu. (This is assuming they can make use of his self harm inflicting abilities to make him the best glass cannon in the game.)
Lyn. (Definitely has potential considering the unique swordplay.)
Waluigi. (He deserves some love, I think the PMBR can give it to him.)
Issac. (His theme is awesome, his synergy looks cool, he has a CAPE, and HE NEEDS THIS. Honestly I think if he had just a bit more representation he could of made it in the actual game of brawl)

1/2 Vote
Hector (I don't know anything about him, but an Axe wielding character would be neat. Seems to me that people revere him the same way every new Fire emblem player revered Frederick)
Ridley (Hope he doesn't feel too similar to Bowser or Charizard.)
Dark Samus (I like the idea, but I never liked fighting Samus anyway. :rolleyes:)
Paper Mario (I love him, but I have mixed feelings)
Bowser jr (Refer to this "^")
Krystal (Only gets my vote if she gets her staff from Adventures. If not then I don't see the point of another Spacie)

Downvote
Ganondorf/Black Shadow (I don't think changing Ganon to someone else while forcing Ganon mains to play black shadow is a good move. It's a huge change to Ganon mains aesthetically, and it would probably be an extremely off-putting thing to Melee players on the edge about Project: M. The idea itself has potential, but I think the backlash would be huge.)
Tails/Knuckles/Shadow (Third party characters. They do have potential to have good movesets that aren't too similar to sonic's though)

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
Woah, what the hell happened here since I last posted? Things just exploded and I'm pretty sure it's my fault. Okay, let's get to responded to all the crazy ideas floating around here, eh:

1) Was I complaining? I don't remember ever complaining or mentioning Pichu so I don't see why that's even being brought to anyone's attention. I don't care how the voting on this thread works because it's hosting a negligible slice of the PM community. This thread is comprised exclusively by people who go to Smashboards and like speculating. I'm sure there are plenty of people who'd like a say in who's included that don't know, or don't care due to the unofficial nature of this thread (and also the absurd "logic" that gets thrown around. Seriously, some of the posts here are worse than the people who try to predict the roster for Smash 4).

2) 40 is too small of a sample size to determine anything. Yes, election polls often predict the election, but they also poll a much larger percent of the population. We could easily be dealing with much less than 1% of the data, and we're only working with one demographic. It'd be like trying to predict an election after polling 100 gay black democrats from Kentucky. Anyone with half a brain will tell you that these numbers are useless and will tell you essentially nothing. See what I'm getting at here? You're ignoring tons of people. The casuals, the people who just download the latest version and then play it without keeping tabs on the boards, the people who don't care which characters get in and only want certain playstyle archetypes, people who are here but don't like the type of discussion taking place here, etc. You absolutely cannot know what the community wants based off of ~40 people. It'd take all of 1 stats class to learn that.​

3) In the end, who cares? Maybe the PMBR will look to this thread one day for inspiration, but more likely than not they have their own wishlists devised of their own characters and given the competitive nature of PM odds are the roster picks are based off of archetype, not "lol chibi robo is my favorite". If they think they have a cool idea to make Pichu or Shadow fun you can bet they're going to go for it without a 2nd glace at our opinions (Shadow may be a bit different because so many Sonic characters have similar builds, but you get the idea).​

4) I'm not bitter, I'm just levelheaded. I get it, it's easy to be swept up in the speculation, but sometimes it's good to slow down and take a breather. Anyone can right a 5 paragraph essay on why Bill Cosby can/should/will be one of the clone engine characters and post a bunch of sample pictures of him from the Cosby Show with a poster from Ghost Dad to show off a hypothetical final smash, but it's just as easy to write a rebuttal.​

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Yes, yes, yes and yes. Personally, I'd like to see some sort of official P:M polling, but my main point was what you brought up in (2), in that this sort of poll doesn't mean anything without it representing the entire P:M base.

Also: Bill Cosby confirmed for Project Melee.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Cosby could be a clone of old man Ganondorf, with the purple spell effects replaced with pudding spell effects.

On a serious note, tho, I totes agree with trojanpoop. I think this thread is fun, and it's a blast to speculate with everyone and see what the community thinks, but we shouldn't treat it as anything serious or representative at all.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
Cosby could be a clone of old man Ganondorf, with the purple spell effects replaced with pudding spell effects.

On a serious note, tho, I totes agree with trojanpoop. I think this thread is fun, and it's a blast to speculate with everyone and see what the community thinks, but we shouldn't treat it as anything serious or representative at all.

IT'S POOH, DAMMIT, LIKE THE BEAR. WOODEN TEDDY BEAR, NOT A POOPY CONDOM.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
Upvote
Pichu. (This is assuming they can make use of his self harm inflicting abilities to make him the best glass cannon in the game.)

I always saw Pichu as more of a risk-reward type character. Only around half of his attacks self inflicted, so it allowed a player to either fight conservatively or go nuts. Like, if anyone's played The Binding of Isaac Pichu would be more akin to Eve (risk-reward) than Judas (glass cannon). You need to learn match ups and when the best moment to switch mindsets is. If you're against Bowser (in PM) for example you'd probably pull out your self inflicting moves right away because one solid hit will kill you anyways (keep in mind this is unbalanced Pichu vs buffed Bowser) where if he was fighting someone who was more about racking damage you'd want to only use the damaging moves when you absolutely needed to. It's an interesting mechanic as is but I can see it being so much more with a competent dev team behind it (not saying Sakurai's team was incompetent pre Melee, more so that 10 years of watching the meta game evolve gives the PMBR a bit of an upper hand).

Also unless I'm much mistaken including Bill Cosby's likeness would be 100% legal under the parody. Just saying.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Up-Votes:
-Dark Samus (All of my wants for it/her, very interesting character, plus Metroid needs more representation.)
-Ridley
-Masked Man (Endless possibilities)
-Isaac (I know little about him, but what i know is that he can be a very solid choice, and very fun to play, combining his psynergy, and sword.)
-Black Shadow/Ganondorf

Half-Votes:
-Saki
-Samurai Goroh
-Lyn
-Paper Mario (Can be a very interesting and fun to play character.)

Donwn-Votes:
-None, i was planning to down vote, but no, i wouldnt like to downvote a character someone would be very happy to see.

Dreamer_

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3496-9337-7244
I would love to see Lyn because she definitely has potential for some tricky swordplay and she's my favorite Fire Emblem character (so far) but it would definitely take some time to make.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Hah, sneaky moves to evade lawsuits by the PMBR. I wonder what Nintendo thinks about Project M.

Also, which character would Lyn be a clone of? She has a bow, long hair, and moving clothing (though supposedly moving clothing isn't a problem anymore thanks to model importing. I'll need confirmation.). She would also need a VA.

giantrobots

Smash Rookie
Hah, sneaky moves to evade lawsuits by the PMBR. I wonder what Nintendo thinks about Project M.

Also, which character would Lyn be a clone of? She has a bow, long hair, and moving clothing (though supposedly moving clothing isn't a problem anymore thanks to model importing. I'll need confirmation.). She would also need a VA.
Some people have mentioned making her a clone based off of Link, since he already has the sword and bow, but she would potentially not use the shield, boomerang, and bombs. However, there were also some ideas of making her a clone of Sheik, utilizing the light arrow article for the bow, the needles as a projectile base, and then only having her unsheathe her sword for specific/special attacks (kind of like the fighting style reminiscent of some samurai characters).

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Some people have mentioned making her a clone based off of Link, since he already has the sword and bow, but she would potentially not use the shield, boomerang, and bombs. However, there were also some ideas of making her a clone of Sheik, utilizing the light arrow article for the bow, the needles as a projectile base, and then only having her unsheathe her sword for specific/special attacks (kind of like the fighting style reminiscent of some samurai characters).
Sounds good. Can anyone confirm that model importing works to give characters moving clothing like capes? Jigglypuff will never be full without the headband.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yes, it's one of the rules the PMBR has set, hoping it helps them avoid a C&D.

Unless you're referring to the recurring part - which is a tad silly as we have Sheik.

Oh well, that's a real big shame actually... But Hector is also absent in Brawl, unless a Sticker is also counting. In Impa's defence though, her biggest and most important role came after Brawl, Skyward Sword - so that's why she wasn't in Brawl. Also the fact that basically every Zelda trophy came from TP and WW as direct model rips.

It would also be a funny nod to this 'Toon Sheik' everybody keeps talking about when speaking of the 'Forbidden 7'. Roy has been done, Dr.Mario and Mewtwo are finished, or close to. Dixie Kong is one of the more likely characters to make it to. Sure, Toon Zelda and 'Toon Sheik' should really just be Toon Zelda and Tetra, so maybe if Impa ABSOLUTELY is ruled out, I would upvote Tetra / Toon Zelda in her stead. As obvious clones of Zelda and Sheik. Lighter, faster, smaller and floatier than the originals, like Link / Toon Link.

I think Lyn would work best as a clone of Marth, as cliche as it might sound. She's gotta have a Counter Down B anyway. :smirk:

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
I think Lyn would work best as a clone of Marth, as cliche as it might sound. She's gotta have a Counter Down B anyway. :smirk:
I don't know about the technical stuff behind counter, but the bow would be more important imo. Get both if possible. Moveset variety.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Roy has been done, Dr.Mario and Mewtwo are finished, or close to. Dixie Kong is one of the more likely characters to make it to.
Dr. Mario is a costume in Project M, he doesn't use one of the Forbidden 7 file folders.

Just Mewtwo and Roy probably use their own leftover file folders, while Dr. Mario's will very likely go to another character.

The only other character of the Forbidden 7 I could see being added into Project M would be Dixie Kong.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't know about the technical stuff behind counter, but the bow would be more important imo. Get both if possible. Moveset variety.

How about her being a Pit clone then? She could potentially also use 2 blades like Pit does.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I wonder why Dark Samus is getting quite several downvotes, i mean, what if Ridley happens to be confirmed in SSB4? then Dark Samus would be best candidate; anyways if Ridley dont make its way in SSB4 i dont see nothing wrong in Metroid taking two slots, the series deserve it, but i also would love to see variety (1 character of different franchise per slot)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I wonder why Dark Samus is getting quite several downvotes, i mean, what if Ridley happens to be confirmed in SSB4? then Dark Samus would be best candidate; anyways if Ridley dont make its way in SSB4 i dont see nothing wrong in Metroid taking two slots, the series deserve it, but i also would love to see variety (1 character of different franchise per slot)
The best defense against Sakurai's Pyrosphere hints is that "he's trolling". The problem is we can't tell whether he is trolling or not.

Since the Pyrosphere was revealed so early on, I think its only a matter of time before we find out the truth about this arena. If the game has a demo at E3 2014, the stage may be included with the demo since it was revealed so early on.

However, as I said earlier, I think a more likely date for Sakurai to explore more about Ridley in Smash 4 (whether a stage hazard or playable) would be in March 2014, which marks the 20th anniversary of the Japanese release of Super Metroid, which still remains the most popular installment to the Metroid series.

Secondly, for many people, having three characters named Samus be all there is to represent Metroid seems a bit redundant. It would be like if all Zelda had to representing it would Link, Toon Link, and something like Goron/Zora/Deku Link.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
The best defense against Sakurai's Pyrosphere hints is that "he's trolling". The problem is we can't tell whether he is trolling or not.

Since the Pyrosphere was revealed so early on, I think its only a matter of time before we find out the truth about this arena. If the game has a demo at E3 2014, the stage may be included with the demo since it was revealed so early on.

However, as I said earlier, I think a more likely date for Sakurai to explore more about Ridley in Smash 4 (whether a stage hazard or playable) would be in March 2014, which marks the 20th anniversary of the Japanese release of Super Metroid, which still remains the most popular installment to the Metroid series.
Hopefully we may find the truth about Ridley in SSB4, soon.

Secondly, for many people, having three characters named Samus be all there is to represent Metroid seems a bit redundant. It would be like if all Zelda had to representing it would Link, Toon Link, and something like Goron/Zora/Deku Link.
Not so many people, after all even a Stage Hazard Ridley could influence on wether or not he can be in Project M.... this is when Dark Samus becomes the best candidate, however Sylux could be very interesting.

Szion

Smash Journeyman
Ermagerd I would love to play as lyn. shes the only FE character I want in..

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Not so many people, after all even a Stage Hazard Ridley could influence on wether or not he can be in Project M.... this is when Dark Samus becomes the best candidate, however Sylux could be very interesting.
Dark Samus is the only other decent choice for a playable Metroid character aside from Ridley. Everyone else is a non-starter or one-shot.

However, Ridley by far trumps Dark Samus.

Szion

Smash Journeyman
Idk if its too late but i'll vote up
Tails.
Krystal
Lyn

Vote down
Waluigi..

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Hopefully we may find the truth about Ridley in SSB4, soon.

200px-Remember_me.png

Heavier, stronger, slower ZSS clone with Ice effects instead of stun.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You know what, they could also just release Samus. :samus2:

Emg3

Smash Cadet
I think I still have a vote so I'm gonna throw it towards waluigi because I think his play style could be cool. And having a wario /waluigi team battle would be badass.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
This is probably going to sound ridiculous, but what if P:M held a character creation contest for the final slot (if they make it that far)? Not like an existing character or anything of the sort, but an original fan designed character exclusively for P:M. I'm not sure if that is considered a red flag for a C&D letter, but it was just a thought I had. Probably sounds silly, but tell me what you all think.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
This is probably going to sound ridiculous, but what if P:M held a character creation contest for the final slot (if they make it that far)? Not like an existing character or anything of the sort, but an original fan designed character exclusively for P:M. I'm not sure if that is considered a red flag for a C&D letter, but it was just a thought I had. Probably sounds silly, but tell me what you all think.
I think that would just bring us something along the lines of Blonic. Some people may be okay with this, however. I am. Blonic for P:M.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I think that would just bring us something along the lines of Blonic. Some people may be okay with this, however. I am. Blonic for P:M.
I can't tell if you are being a smart ass or not, but I'm referring to an original creation. Not a Sonic fan character or fan character abominations like the one in the image.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
I can't tell if you are being a smart *** or not, but I'm referring to an original creation. Not a Sonic fan character or fan character abominations like the one in the image.
I am; just kidding around. I was also referencing the fact that fan made characters don't tend to be that great, though. That's what Blonic's a parody of. There's a few short videos on YouTube of him if you want to know more.

I also think that, considering the nature of Super Smash Bros, we should keep to characters that have an iconic status, but that's just me.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I am; just kidding around. I was also referencing the fact that fan made characters don't tend to be that great, though. That's what Blonic's a parody of. There's a few short videos on YouTube of him if you want to know more.

I also think that, considering the nature of Super Smash Bros, we should keep to characters that have an iconic status, but that's just me.
You are saying it as if the character wouldn't be voted on. Obviously community would vote on the character that sounds and looks best like we are for this thread. Nonetheless, it was only an idea. You would be surprised how many talented artists lurk these forums, let alone the P:M website. I would also say there would likely be requirements to meet like obviously stated before (no sonic fan characters or fan characters of any sort). Again, just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom