• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Personally, I am fine with all of the choices made except Knuckles. Isaac and Sami represent popular Nintendo franchises lacking a playable character in Smash Bros. Skull Kid is the main antagonist to one of the most popular Zelda installments (one that will likely be seeing a 3DS remake announced later this year), and Lyn did very well on the poll (only Isaac and Ridley did better).

Personally, I would have just swapped Knuckles with Ridley, and that selection would be perfect.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
A summoning playstyle wouldn't exactly be a good callback to Advance Wars... since when do the COs summon tanks that don't even go up to their ankles? Pretty sure that's not how the battles are fought, so it wouldn't have "relevance to her games". If we wanted her to play like she does in AW, then something like Pokemon Trainer would be more fitting. Seeing as Sami never does any fighting herself, she just commands her soldiers.

Having a character like Sami in Smash is an imagining of how they would act in close combat against other combatants, not a mirror of how their games play. See Captain Falcon and the Star Fox characters.
First off, Sami does arguably fight by herself in the sense that COs are real characters in Portrait of Ruin. I realize Sami isn't inherently in that game, but it isn't completely foreign to the franchise. Second off, you might argue that the armies being the size of her ankles isn't 1:1, but a lot of smash is referential without being 1:1 from the games. Fore Example, no fire emblem game has the main characters actually "counter", but counter hitting is a major part of that game. In a way, the Fire emblem down B is a callback to the game, in the ability to guard an attack and then respond with your own attack.

Either way, it becomes immediately obvious that COs spawning troops in this game would be a closer reference to the real game than Sami using grenades or landmines.

Cfalcon and the starfox characters maybe aren't a good example because it is literally unfeasible to have a massive vehicle in the game as anything but a final smash.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Also, thank god for no Pichu. Squirtle pretty much nails the archetype of small hurt box crazy pressure, and the last thing we need is a sillier version of the-widely agreed upon- most boring character in the game.

Shin F.

Smash Master
You know what? I'm ecstatic over just
alone. He's the icing on the PM cake. The others are like a couple of sprinkles each. Skull Kid is a whole handful of sprinkles, Lyn and Sami are a couple of dabs of them and Knuckles is a tiny little sprinkle that tastes a little stale, but I still love them all.

... I want some snack cakes now.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I can understand why they didn't go with Ridley (or Dixie/K. Rool), it would have sucked big time to put in all that work, only to have Sakurai show off something that may/may not blow away whatever they worked on for the last eight/nine months. That fear is understandable.

That being said, they should just have in Isaac, Lyn, Sami, and Skull Kid, and leave the last spot blank to determine based on who doesn't make it into Smash 4. After we know Smash 4's roster, they can put in their collective effort on the "final character".

The_NZA

Smash Lord
How are all of you anti-Knuckles. HE WAS THE COOLEST MEMBER OF SONICS CREW. Also, we NEED more Jamaican/Islander representation in Smash as it is.

Also, he clearly has a ton to offer. He's personally my fave secret character.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Knuckles is my first choice for a Sonic character. But then again, Sonic characters are really low on my list.

AncientPancakes

Smash Cadet
I can understand why they didn't go with Ridley (or Dixie/K. Rool), it would have sucked big time to put in all that work, only to have Sakurai show off something that may/may not blow away whatever they worked on for the last eight/nine months. That fear is understandable.

That being said, they should just have in Isaac, Lyn, Sami, and Skull Kid, and leave the last spot blank to determine based on who doesn't make it into Smash 4. After we know Smash 4's roster, they can put in their collective effort on the "final character".
Or they may feel that these 5 characters will offer more unique playstyles and/or are much easier to get right compared to a character like Ridley.

Also if Knuckles does turn out to be one of the new characters, i'm positive the pmbr has a good reason for choosing him over all the other options. I for one am pretty excited to see how he will turn out and it would be silly for them to stop making the character just because he isn't as widely liked as others.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
We will see. Personally, the moment Ridley is de-confirmed for Smash 4, is the moment fans start to make a playable Ridley a reality, and that includes Project M.

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
How are all of you anti-Knuckles. HE WAS THE COOLEST MEMBER OF SONICS CREW. Also, we NEED more Jamaican/Islander representation in Smash as it is.

Also, he clearly has a ton to offer. He's personally my fave secret character.
This though. Knuckles is probably one of the few sonic characters I like. Plus he has dreadlocks which is always an appealing trait.

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
I'm just going to assume that all of this is fake until something is stated by the PMBR, although I do hope Sami being in is true.

I'm not keeping my hopes up for something that may or may not be real.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
I guess I don't understand the whole "Make Sami a snake clone" idea because, what's the point of truly getting excited about a character from a franchise when they actually have no real reference from the game they came from? If Sami is a snake clone, she might as well be Leon Kennedy. I mean, by all means, give her a nikita missile/rocketlauncher forward smash. But If she is real, I hope the BR makes her FEEL like she's from the advanced wars universe. I hope she's as much a shoutout to advanced wars as Wario is to his games, or snake/sonic are to their games.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
I don't want Sami to be a Snake clone in that she has his moves from Brawl, which are disgusting anyway.

I want her to emulate his stage-control, "This is my battleground and your minefield" playstyle which I think is fitting enough. Snake probably has the most articles to accomplish this.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Welp time to lock thread.

GG everyone, it's been a good 217 pages, except it hasn't because I think we've been discussing in circles for an aeon now and it can finally stop.

MLGF it was good (not really) knowing you, hope the death the PMBR visits upon you is swift and painless.

See you all when P:M 4.0 comes out
...I liked knowing you :( ...
And yeah, I was really split on posting that. When everyone else started going haywire however, I just went "screw it!" If they want to delete the post, I don't mind.

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
I wonder if anyone noticed that the one doing the leaks is using the username Demonboy. If it's actually him, he's done character models before on kc-mm, if he wanted to he could make those models and post them on 4chan saying they are for PM. It's just as an equal chance of this being fake as there is for it to be real.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I wonder if anyone noticed that the one doing the leaks is using the username Demonboy. If it's actually him, he's done character models before on kc-mm, if he wanted to he could make those models and post them on 4chan saying they are for PM. It's just as an equal chance of this being fake as there is for it to be real.
Except there's text of the P:MBR yelling at him for leaking that, especially right after he was added to the team.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
You know, to all of you salty about this, stop that. I had a realization, while I'm not in love with most of these choices, it could have been a lot worse.
Lets celebrate what didn't happen.
No Shadow!(srry sol)
No Black Shadow!(srry whoever legit wanted that to happen)
No Pichu!(sorry me :( )

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
Except there's text of the P:MBR yelling at him for leaking that, especially right after he was added to the team.
That doesn't change the fact that it's still 4chan, multiple false leaks have happened there, and I don't know why DB (or anyone) would use his username on 4chan where you can be anonymous.

MLGF

Smash Lord
He wanted to leave Brawl modding forever and he wanted to go out in flames, he can't do that if he was anonymous.

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
Okay that makes sense, couldn't read the pastebin because of me being at school, also wut that's stupid.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
That doesn't change the fact that it's still 4chan, multiple false leaks have happened there, and I don't know why DB (or anyone) would use his username on 4chan where you can be anonymous.
MLGF and Shin F. got it. :p

Only a pastebin. Which could be fake as well.

Regardless MLGF has done his job well. I fear he has stumbled upon the great and terrible truth and will be silenced for his noble efforts.
Eh, could be fake, but there's also the fact that Vigilante talked about Sami in one of those other pictures.

The P:MBR doesn't seem the type to "silence" anyone, and either way, he's still here, isn't he? :p Plus he's not the only one who has that information saved.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Okay that makes sense, couldn't read the pastebin because of me being at school, also wut that's stupid.
He said he did it because he wanted to be sure he wouldn't be tempted to come back Brawl Modding, so he wanted to go out with an act that caused everyone to hate him, or something like that.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
MLGF and Shin F. got it. :p

Eh, could be fake, but there's also the fact that Vigilante talked about Sami in one of those other pictures.

The P:MBR doesn't seem the type to "silence" anyone, and either way, he's still here, isn't he? :p Plus he's not the only one who has that information saved.
YOU FOOL

YOU DO NOT REALIZE WHAT GREAT AND TERRIBLE POWER THE PM:BR POSSESSES

THE REAL MLGF IS LONG DEAD, WHATEVER ... WHATEVER THING THAT CONTROLS HIS ACCOUNT NOW IS NOT HUMAN. DO NOT TRUST ITS LIES FROM THIS POINT ON.

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
This is getting more and more ridiculous.

I didn't know "leaving Brawl modding forever by pissing people off" could be an idea ever.

MLGF

Smash Lord
YOU FOOL

YOU DO NOT REALIZE WHAT GREAT AND TERRIBLE POWER THE PM:BR POSSESSES

THE REAL MLGF IS LONG DEAD, WHATEVER ... WHATEVER THING THAT CONTROLS HIS ACCOUNT NOW IS NOT HUMAN. DO NOT TRUST ITS LIES FROM THIS POINT ON.
Guys, guys calm down. No need for caps lock because I'm still me.
So let's just forget this entire thing happened because everything is fine. The entire leak is obviously a lie anyways :), none of it was real the whole thing was a silly hoax.

~Project M is love, Project M is life.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Guys, guys calm down. No need for caps lock because I'm still me.
So let's just forget this entire thing happened because everything is fine. The entire leak is obviously a lie anyways :), none of it was real the whole thing was a silly hoax.

~Project M is love, Project M is life.
He's right guys. The PM:BR are not infernalist diablerist brujah that serve the One Who Dwells Beyond. MLGF is fine. I am wrong. The leak is a lie.

Everything will be fine as long as we play P:M :)

Forever :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :pichumelee:

Rasgar

Smash Apprentice
First off, Sami does arguably fight by herself in the sense that COs are real characters in Portrait of Ruin. I realize Sami isn't inherently in that game, but it isn't completely foreign to the franchise. Second off, you might argue that the armies being the size of her ankles isn't 1:1, but a lot of smash is referential without being 1:1 from the games. Fore Example, no fire emblem game has the main characters actually "counter", but counter hitting is a major part of that game. In a way, the Fire emblem down B is a callback to the game, in the ability to guard an attack and then respond with your own attack.
Well, Portrait of Ruin is a Castlevania game that has nothing to do with Advance Wars... so I have no idea what you're talking about. Unless you meant Days of Ruin, in which case I still don't know what you're talking about. I haven't played that one, but as I understand it the gameplay is still the same, and the COs do not appear on the battlefield. And the COs were "real characters" in the previous games as well, filling the same role: commanding their soldiers. When I say that Sami didn't do any fighting herself, I mean just that: at no point did she pick up a rifle, step onto the battlefield, and start firing at a group of infantry (which I imagine ought to be the same size as her).

The FE counter thing is a bad example. It's the same ability in Smash as it is in FE, even if you aren't triggering it. Being able to counter, do sword slashes, critical attcks, etc. are just examples of translating his combat style from a turn-based, limited interface to that of an action game.

Either way, it becomes immediately obvious that COs spawning troops in this game would be a closer reference to the real game than Sami using grenades or landmines.

Cfalcon and the starfox characters maybe aren't a good example because it is literally unfeasible to have a massive vehicle in the game as anything but a final smash.
Not really. She doesn't do either of those things in her game. On the other hand, no one's saying that she'll use grenades or landmines. Being a clone of Snake doesn't mean she'll have his exact moveset.

I don't understand how my examples were bad examples. Is it just because you don't like them? This is the exact same situation we're dealing with in Sami's case. How about this: "Sami maybe isn't a good example because it is literally unfeasible to have a massive army in the game as anything but a final smash."
Anyways, in all three cases, we are creating a completely new moveset for a character that fits them, because what they do in their original games is absolutely incompatible with Smash gameplay.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Well...I would've preferred a new Metroid character to giving Fire Emblem two clone engine spots, but I guess it's not so bad. I would imagine that the only reason that they didn't choose Ridley was that he's still got a fair chance of being in Smash 4, and I suppose cloning Snake and Sonic was just more appealing than cloning Samus.

Knuckles also introduces some interesting ideas, I suppose. He will likely get his glide, as well as packing a lot more punch and being slower than Sonic. He's also the least horrible of Sonic's sidekicks, in that he isn't overly annoying, walking exposition/Sonic fanwank, or a the horrible offspring of Dante and Superman. It won't be hard to give him an interesting moveset while keeping Sonic's Spin-Dash and general flow.

If I had to pick from Sonic's horrid cast to make a second character, it'd definitely be Metal Sonic Knuckles. Tails is 2casual4me.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Fortunately it extended only to ruining the surprise and killing the hype.

... yeah, **** that guy.
Honestly, the hype will still be there, at least for me. Each of these characters would've gotten a video intro anyway, which will still be awesome. Plus there's little to nothing that compares to the hype of actually playing these characters. Personally, I can't wait to get my hands on Skull Kid.

Then again, I've always liked knowing the full roster of Smash games before I actually get to play them. I know plenty of people prefer to be surprised, and I feel sorry for them in this case. I also feel sorry for the P:MBR, having their secrets revealed like that. But for me this doesn't ruin anything; it just makes me more excited for the future of P:M.

(Off topic: I'm trying to decide between this green and
this green, so that's why my color has been switching. I'll probably stick with this one.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom