• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
While I don't want him to be re-added as a character...would it really be too much to ask to have young link as an Alt or something? I mean, he was one of my Mains in Melee and I'd like to be able to play as him without looking like a Powerpuff Girl. Nothing against Wind Waker or any other Toon Link Style Zeldas It's just at this point I don't see a reason not too...
Hitboxes

S

Sharic X

Here comes another volley of votes.

1+
Ray
Skull Kid
Saki
Plusle & Minun
Isaac

1/2+
Ridley
Bowser Jr
Lyn
Skapon

I voted on those i deemed to have the highest potential of being unique (the only exception possibly being Pluse & Minun). Afterall, i dont see the point in creating new characters that are more or less similiare to what we already have.
I like your choices. All except Saki, (he just isn't my cup of tea) are great choices. You get a thumbs up of approval from me. Especially for Skull Kid, Ray and Ridley.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Hey guys, haven't been in this thread for a while, so sorry if this has already been mentioned, but I thought I should bring this up.
Have you seen this hack:

http://smashboards.com/threads/ganondorf-sword-mode-for-projectm.342640/

This guy is apparently on the PMBR and he worked on this. Its really good, and I'm hoping the PMBR is thinking about working on something like this. I really think this would be a reasonable way to change ganondorf up a bit! (as an added note, I'm working on my own version of this hack).

Though on top of this I'd still like to see an OOT version of Ganon in P:M where he has an OOT based move set.

Sonic and Link

Smash Rookie
I like your choices. All except Saki, (he just isn't my cup of tea) are great choices. You get a thumbs up of approval from me. Especially for Skull Kid, Ray and Ridley.
Thanks. I have not played the first Sin & Punishment myself, but Saki seems to have the same fighting style has Isa from the sequel. I think a combination of sword and blaster, could be pretty interessting.

S

Sharic X

I'd like to know a toned down way to vote.

And what are these votes for?
These votes are for character that the voter whishes to be included in Project M. Only 5 votes allowed per person and 5 half votes (I think).
For example, I've already done my +1 vote for my 5 prefered characters. Now I think I can only half vote (not exactly sure on how this works).

Shin F.

Smash Master
These votes are for character that the voter whishes to be included in Project M. Only 5 votes allowed per person and 5 half votes (I think).
For example, I've already done my +1 vote for my 5 prefered characters. Now I think I can only half vote (not exactly sure on how this works).
Infinite half-votes, actually. These are for characters you like but don't have room for in your top 5, basically.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
interesting. Project M as it is is great and all but this might be cool.

Is it possible to suggest new characters for this?

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Have Villager and Mega Man been suggested? I think they would both be perfect. I've always thought (since Smash 4 was announced) that Porject M would be perfect with Villager and MM.
You should just read the OP. I cover all that. No, those aren't eligible because they're not in Brawl (i.e. possible copyright issues)

Shin F.

Smash Master
Have Villager and Mega Man been suggested? I think they would both be perfect. I've always thought (since Smash 4 was announced) that Porject M would be perfect with Villager and MM.
They're against the rules. There are 2 big ones PMBR have set: No back-porting characters from SSB4, and the character has to be in Brawl in some form (as a trophy or sticker)

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
They're against the rules. There are 2 big ones PMBR have set: No back-porting characters from SSB4, and the character has to be in Brawl in some form (as a trophy or sticker)
Wait.... those are the only requirements? I REQUEST THE SUPER MARIO BRICK FOR THE CLONE ENGINE! technically it's also toad.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
They still won't back-port any SSB4 newcomers. Villager isn't eligible. That's why Tom Nook was originally suggested. Anti Guy is right, you should read the OP in its entirety.
Yeah, I got it. I was just pointing that out as Anti Guy said Villager WASN"T in Brawl, when he was.

Ugh.

Well then; can votes be changed?

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Yeah, I got it. I was just pointing that out as Anti Guy said Villager WASN"T in Brawl, when he was.

Ugh.

Well then; can votes be changed?
Also mentioned in the OP... you can change 1/2 votes whenever, but I generally don't accept changes to +1 votes. I don't see you as having voted anyways.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Also mentioned in the OP... you can change 1/2 votes whenever, but I generally don't accept changes to +1 votes. I don't see you as having voted anyways.
I was just wondering, In case i decided I'd rather have (character A) in my votes than (Character B).

I'll have to think about my choices long and hard then. Now, one more question (I didn't see this in the OP). Do downvotes count toward your total votes?

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
I was just wondering, In case i decided I'd rather have (character A) in my votes than (Character B).

I'll have to think about my choices long and hard then. Now, one more question (I didn't see this in the OP). Do downvotes count toward your total votes?
I don't know what you mean by total votes. Are you talking about total votes that I use in my statistics? Yes, every vote counts. Are you talking about your "total" votes? That doesn't exist. The only restriction is 5 +1 votes. Everything else is infinite.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I don't know what you mean by total votes. Are you talking about total votes that I use in my statistics? Yes, every vote counts. Are you talking about your "total" votes? That doesn't exist. The only restriction is 5 +1 votes. Everything else is infinite.
I meant, does it count as one of your votes FOR a character if you downvote them?

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
I meant, does it count as one of your votes FOR a character if you downvote them?
Nope, you get 5 +1 votes, infinite half-votes, and infinite -1 votes.

In order for -1's to count, you must provide valid reasoning for it (IE: "This guy sucks" or "He has too many votes already" aren't valid reasoning).

(This post was written all under the assumption that you still haven't red the OP)

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
Nope, you get 5 +1 votes, infinite half-votes, and infinite -1 votes.

In order for -1's to count, you must provide valid reasoning for it (IE: "This guy sucks" or "He has too many votes already" aren't valid reasoning).

(This post was written all under the assumption that you still haven't red the OP)
Prolly' skimmed it.

I don't blame him. It's exciting to think that hopefully the things we post here will influence the PMBR.

archedmaid

Smash Apprentice
+1 Bowser Jr. - Smaller faster Bowser says it all. It would be kinda cool though if he had some Koopa Kid type moves though like changing his forward special to a shell spin like Squirtle and instead of his neutral B breathing fire it shoot a fireball or be a charge up that could potentially shoot multiple fire balls or a bigger one.

+1 Skull Kid - In my opinion he has to be the second most iconic LOZ villain.

+1 Knuckles - He is Sonics second villain and some times friend. He is the protector of the Chaos Emeralds a highly important position in the Sonic universe.

+1 King K. Rool - King Dedede, King Bowser, Ganondorf Gerudo King of Thieves. I think there's room for another king plus its the main villain from the Donkey Kong series.

+1 Dark Samus - Yet another villain less series and most of the series that have more than one playable character have a villain.

-1 Pichu - There are already 7 Pokemon and I really don't see any way he could benefit the game different than Pikachu. Pikachu is already pretty fast as it is, so I cant really imagine he would be a faster smaller Pikachu unless he no defense. There are like 718 Pokemon there would have to be some thing way more unique and different like Fearow or some thing.

-1 Pokemon Trainer - He never really had any abilities in the game besides battling Pokemon. I don't even think Ash did any thing other than use his pokemon to battle and solve problems. Even if he made it in the throwing Pokeball idea could be mixed with the throw rock idea and have like a 5% chance to throw a Pokeball instead of a rock.

archedmaid

Smash Apprentice
I think Ridley would be cool, but I was in the middle with that one I could see him being the size of Giga Bowser and playing fine. I just think it would be more likely for Dark Samus to be made because I know they wouldn't have to make a complete new move set.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
-1 Pokemon Trainer - He never really had any abilities in the game besides battling Pokemon. I don't even think Ash did any thing other than use his pokemon to battle and solve problems. Even if he made it in the throwing Pokeball idea could be mixed with the throw rock idea and have like a 5% chance to throw a Pokeball instead of a rock.
He tackled a Lucario by himself. And he does have a good punch.

Bleck

Smash Master
+1 Dark Samus - Yet another villain less series and most of the series that have more than one playable character have a villain.
What about Ridley? Or any of the rival bounty hunters from Metroid Prime Hunters or Metroid Prime 3?

I, personally, would really like to see Sylux. It'll probably be in my top five whenever I get around to actually voting.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
What about Ridley? Or any of the rival bounty hunters from Metroid Prime Hunters or Metroid Prime 3?
I, personally, would really like to see Sylux. It'll probably be in my top five whenever I get around to actually voting.
Would like to get an idea on why you want Sylux. What does he have that makes him interesting.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87

Like I've said before though, Sylux has virtually no chance when Ridley and Dark Samus are still candidates... It doesn't help that Sylux is practically a nobody either.

+1 Knuckles - He is Sonics second villain and some times friend. He is the protector of the Chaos Emeralds a highly important position in the Sonic universe.
I've barely played any Sonic, but I'm pretty sure Knuckles has barely been a "villain" at all aside from like his first appearance.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Villain?....What? Either I've not played enough Sonic or you don't understand the story of the series. Knuckles has always been good, but was tricked by Dr. Robotnik into thinking Sonic came to Angel Island just to steal the Master Emerald. Knuckles is just a friendly rival to Sonic now.

S

Sharic X

No character that is/will be in Smash 4 can be suggested.

Bleck

Smash Master
Would like to get an idea on why you want Sylux. What does he have that makes him interesting.
Canon-wise, it's the only rival bounty hunter to have appeared in more than one Metroid game (if you assume that the ship seen in the 100% ending of Metroid Prime 3 is, in fact, the Delano 7). As such, I believe it only just slightly edges out the other bounty hunters when it comes to who should make an appearance, as the developers presumably had some sort of plan for the character beyond appearing fully in a single game.

Gameplay-wise, Sylux has a comparable frame and size to Samus (its Lockjaw form is even similar to the Morph Ball). In addition to its own signature weapons, Sylux also has access to the rest of the weapon systems featured in Metroid Prime Hunters, and incorporating some of these into its moveset would be a neat throwback to that game.

Here's a quick list of the weapons from Metroid Prime Hunters, off the top of my head;

Shock Coil - Sylux' signature weapon, a short-ranged beam of electricity (visually, at least) that does more damage the longer it stays attached to an opponent and, when used by Sylux, absorbs the opponent's health.

Volt Driver - Another electric attack, but this time it's a projectile. In game, the Volt Driver fires small, fast projectiles - unless charged, which produces a projectile that does much more damage, but moves far more slowly.

Battlehammer - A weapon that fires arced, exploding projectiles at a high rate of fire.

Judicator - An ice-based weapon that fires three projectiles, unless fired by Noxus, who can fire a single projectile that can freeze other players.

Magmaul - Similarly to the Battlehammer, fires exploding arced projectiles, but with a fire theme.

Imperialist - A sniper rifle. Slow rate of fire and low damage, but can zoom in and nets a one-hit kill if a headshot is scored.

Now, as far as how I'd see Sylux playing, I don't want to envision another character based largely around speed, combos and low-trajectory attacks, since we already have more than enough of those. Considering that we've got a plethora of ranged attacks to work with, I'd like to see Sylux as a projectile heavy character to a degree we'd not previously seen - most of its attacks would be ranged and require good spacing, but it'd have little to no options up close, and probably a relatively poor recovery. This might sound like it'd immediately lose out to most of the staple characters in the game, but I think that it's possible to come up with a balanced moveset that features a playstyle not yet seen in the game.

Here's a rough example moveset I think could work. Note in advance that I'm not in-the-know about what is and is not totally possible with the limitations of modding the engine, so take it all with a grain of salt.

Note; Sylux gains a different layout of attacks by using Down Special (indicated in this list by red and green colouring).

Neutral attack - Shock Charge - Sylux charges itself with electricity (think Mewtwo's Nair, but on the ground). If the attack damages an opponent, can be canceled into any other move (gives the player opportunities to force opponents away and cover their attempts at re-advancing with projectiles), but if it doesn't connect, has a relatively long wind-down period.

Forward Tilt/Forward Aerial - Volt Driver > - On the ground, fires a medium speed/damage electric projectile that can be tilted up or down to fire the projectile at a 45°angle. In the air, fires a small, fast moving, weak electric projectile in a straight horizontal line, optionally up to three times in succession.

Up Tilt/Up Aerial - Volt Driver ^ - Same as Forward Tilt/Air, but fired vertically.

Forward Tilt/Forward Aerial - Judicator > - Fires three ice projectiles. Each hits for a relatively weak hit, but characters can be hit by multiple projectiles. In the air, the spread is the same, but angled slightly upwards. On the ground, fires one projectile straight horizontally, and the others at 45 degree angles up and down.

Up Tilt/Up Aerial - Judicator ^ - Same as Forward Tilt/Air, but fired vertically. One projectile does straight up vertically, and the other two go to the left and right at 45 degree angles.

Down Aerial - Volt Driver V/Judicator V - Same as indicated Forward and Up Tilts, but fired downwards.
Back Aerial - Charged Volt Driver/Charged Judicator - Fires a short-ranged burst with strong knockback. This move functions identically in both stances, but changes visually.
Neutral Aerial - Aerial Tripmines - Morphs into the Lockjaw briefly and leaves behind a proximity energy mine. Can have up to two on the stage at a time. Explodes automatically after X seconds. If Sylux tries to place a third mine, all three mines explode. If Sylux is near a mine when it explodes, it morphs into the Lockjaw and is bounced slightly upwards (similarly to Samus and her bombs).

[In Metroid Prime Hunters, leaving tripmines close to each other creates a tether between them that triggers both mines when tripped. If one manages to make a triangle of mines around another player, that player is instantly destroyed. I'm not sure how feasible either of these concepts are to implement in Project M, either because of difficulty in modding such an interaction and also the difficulty of balancing such a mechanic.]

Down Tilt - Magmaul - Fires a slow, arcing fire projectile that explodes on contact. On contact with the ground, leaves behind a damaging circle of fire for two seconds.

Crawl Attack - Grounded Tripmines - Leaves behind a proximity energy mine.

Dash Attack - Battlehammer Feint - Jumps out of the dash into a firing position. If the player presses Attack again, Sylux fires a shockwave from its arm cannon, which propels it backward. If the player doesn't press Attack again, Sylux falls to the ground and is floored.

Forward Smash - Shock Coil Sweep - Slashes with the Shock Coil, almost like a whip. Fairly straightforward - hits horizontally, strong knockback growth. Can be angled up and down.
Up Smash - Battlehammer - Fires a fast-moving projectile straight up that explodes on contact, or after traveling a certain distance. Set knockback upwards and good damage. Has a sweetspot at the tip of Sylux' arm cannon right before the projectile fires - it this sweetspot hits, no projectile is fired, but instead an explosion happens for large knockback.
Down Smash - Shock Field - Fires the Shock Coil into the ground, electrifying a small area around Sylux. Has a set knockback upwards and does little damage, but the attack lasts longer the longer it's charged.

Grab - Grabs the opponent.

Pummel - Sylux Shock Coil - Shoots enemy point blank with the Shock Coil. Heals a set percentage of Sylux' damage.

Up Throw - Throws opponent straight up. Early IASA frames - can quickly follow up with an Up Tilt or retreat back to a safe distance.

Back Throw - Throws opponent behind Sylux. Opponents hit the ground fairly quickly, possibly flooring them and letting Sylux reposition, but can also be teched.

Down Throw - Tripmine Execute - Sylux morphs into the Lockjaw and quickly surrounds them with tripmines, which then explode. Damage and knockback based on number of tripmines already on the stage - if there are already two tripmines on the stage, Sylux only spawns one and the damage and knockback are minimal. If there are no tripmines on the stage, Sylux spawns three, and the damage and knockback are much bigger.

Floor Attacks and Edge Attacks - Probably nothing special here. Punches and kicks, etc. Edge attacks could also maybe fire projectiles based on current stance, but I'm not sure if that's possible.

Neutral Special - Kanden Volt Driver/Noxus Judicator - Charges for 60ish frames and fires a large, slow-moving, medium-ranged projectile. The Volt Driver version deals heavy knockback and deals extra shield damage, while the Judicator version deals less knockback, but freezes opponents and deals more damage. Can be 'Reversed' like Falcon/Warlock Punch.

Side Special - Imperialist - Crouches down (slowly, think "Snake taking out Nikita") and spawns a red laser sight. Player holds down Special to stay in the aiming stance, during which they can aim straight ahead horizontally or above and below the horizon up to 60 degrees. Fires after three seconds, or when the player lets go of Special (staying in the stance longer doesn't increase the damage or knockback). Does virtually no damage and has low base knockback, but has enormous knockback growth.

Up Special - Ghost World - Sylux morphs into the Lockjaw and detonates three tripmines underneath itself, launching itself upwards. Low damage and knockback, detonates any other tripmines on the stage.

Down Special - Stance Switch - Sylux switches between its two stances, significantly changing its moveset.

Like I've said before though, Sylux has virtually no chance when Ridley and Dark Samus are still candidates... It doesn't help that Sylux is practically a nobody either.

I'd be totally okay with Ridley, too. I just think Sylux is somewhat more interesting - I can't think of a moveset for Ridley that doesn't have him playing like a bigger, flying Bowser, which unfortunately sounds really boring, to me.

And Dark Samus is just lame and boring, as with any other character that's essentially "Dark [Character]" or any derivative thereof (I'm looking at you, Shadow The Hedgehog).

S

Sharic X

Infinite half-votes, actually. These are for characters you like but don't have room for in your top 5, basically.
Oh ok, thank you for the clear up. I wasn't exactly sure how it worked with the half votes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom