• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I like it but someone being bigger or the same height as Bowser in Project M doesn't sit right with me considering Bowser being the biggest was one of the selling points in an old official Project M Bowser demonstration video.
Slouch harder Ridley. Slouch harder.

NWRL

Smash Ace
Ridley is an interesting concept, anyone spouting the "Le Ridley is le big xD" epick maymay just need to stop. Bowser is like 20x the size of Mario in Sunshine and Galaxy, and he's scaled down to a decent size. The same can happen to Ridley, he can honestly be about bowser's size or a bit smaller and still look fine. End of story, anyone else debating the matter is ********/trolling.

Now let's talk about our lord and savior, Waluigi. Also Skull Kid.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Ridley is an interesting concept, anyone spouting the "Le Ridley is le big xD" epick maymay just need to stop. Bowser is like 20x the size of Mario in Sunshine and Galaxy, and he's scaled down to a decent size. The same can happen to Ridley, he can honestly be about bowser's size or a bit smaller and still look fine. End of story, anyone else debating the matter is ********/trolling.

I can only support Waluigi if he has a Tekkin style moveset which I know they wouldn't do because Tekkin isn't Mario.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal

Currently, Waluigi is the lord and savior of the bottom negative votes. He isn't coming off that spot very far either. Supporting him at this point is a forever losing uphill battle, just like with Shadow. And I'm not saying this to start an argument, because I like both of those characters. It is just that their support is a lost cause in this thread.

As for Skull Kid, he has already been discussed and established his support. Check the op and you should find all the discussion you need.

More characters from unrepped series please.

NWRL

Smash Ace
I can only support Waluigi if he has a Tekkin style moveset which I know they wouldn't do because Tekkin isn't Mario.
The PMBR should just use the PSA that was made for him. The EWGF/Hellsweep stuff is gold. Just throw in some better animations and proper balance and you have a new character that's pretty much done.

Currently, Waluigi is the lord and savior of the bottom negative votes. He isn't coming off that spot very far either. Supporting him at this point is a forever losing uphill battle, just like with Shadow. And I'm not saying this to start an argument, because I like both of those characters. It is just that their support is a lost cause in this thread.

As for Skull Kid, he has already been discussed and established his support. Check the op and you should find all the discussion you need.

More characters from unrepped series please.
Don't break my heart. I need more WAHHHHHH in my life.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
The PMBR should just use the PSA that was made for him. The EWGF/Hellsweep stuff is gold. Just throw in some better animations and proper balance and you have a new character that's pretty much done.
They won't use an established moveset from Brawlvault. This has already been said by the PMBR.

Don't break my heart. I need more WAHHHHHH in my life.
I know how you feel, but your time is best spent supporting a character that needs support and isn't highly disliked.

Last edited:

NWRL

Smash Ace
Yeah I hear ya, I just love Waluigi's personality. But Ridley and Skull Kid are better character ideas. I can already think up a moveset for Skull Kid and his final smash has so many options you can use, like transforming into Majora's Wrath or just dropping the Moon.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Yeah I hear ya, I just love Waluigi's personality. But Ridley and Skull Kid are better character ideas. I can already think up a moveset for Skull Kid and his final smash has so many options you can use, like transforming into Majora's Wrath or just dropping the Moon.
Like I said, both have been discussed. Lets hear some character ideas from someone not in the OP.

NWRL

Smash Ace
Leon Powalski, another spacie can't hurt right ;) Plus we need some reptile representation.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Like I said, both have been discussed. Lets hear some character ideas from someone not in the OP.
Well there is no problem in discussing them again if the person bringing them up can come up with something that hasn't been said before.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Leon Powalski, another spacie can't hurt right ;) Plus we need some reptile representation.
How about a series with less characters than StarFox
Well there is no problem in discussing them again if the person bringing them up can come up with something that hasn't been said before.
Never said there was a problem, but Skull Kid has more or less has established ideas. I don't think much more can be said about him that hasn't really already been said. Most things that can be done with him beyond what was already said is usually unfeasible or not worth PMBR's time.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
How about a series with less characters than StarFox
:troll:
:pichumelee: Pichu: Ok, hear me out. In pokemon you control NPCs (technically not characters) that you give commands too via the only real character, pokemon trainer. For proof, Pokemon don't always do what you want, sometimes they just use random moves if they don't like you enough, hence them being NPCs.jk jk

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
OH! So hey I was thinking guys. Do you think Anti-guy will still let me change my full vote for Shadow? If so I'll be making that a full vote for Ray.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I thought you wanted Shadow. You shouldn't change your opinion just to fit the majority's. You used to come up with so many wild character ideas and I loved the imagination you had. If you believe in something, don't give up on it just because some people on the internet didn't like the idea.
I know how you feel, but I also want to support a character that has a chance. Trust me when I say Ray is one of my many wild character ideas. I've got a lot of fun ideas going for him that most will enjoy when I'm finished with my detailed post for him.

S

Sharic X

I know how you feel, but I also want to support a character that has a chance. Trust me when I say Ray is one of my many wild character ideas. I've got a lot of fun ideas going for him that most will enjoy when I'm finished with my detailed post for him.
I look forward to that.

NWRL

Smash Ace
3 (4 potentially) characters for a series isn't too much at all. Leon has interesting potential. First off he's an assassin so we can probably get away with using poison themed moves. And he's a chameleon so deception/being methodical can be part of his moveset (If you're wondering how any of these have anything to do with being a chameleon, they change colors and hide so deception is pretty obvious, being methodical comes from the way they move, watch a chameleon walk around some time, they always shake when they move to make themselves look like leaves, and they're very picky with the direction they go in.) Based on his N64 personality he's arrogant but composed/patient. Combine all aspects of his character and you can get a character that plays methodically by racking up percent with poison-esque moves and then comes in for the kill with safe finishers. Balance him out by making him slower and floatier than the other spacies with a couple of kill moves with rest for used for creating space.

Here's some ideas for his special moves. I'm not too imaginative so if it's a bad idea I apologize in advance.

His blaster does low/no damage when it hits but will add damage over a couple of seconds with no knockback/hitstun. Maybe give his blaster a hitbox like Wolf that stuns/sleeps after a certain percent. When used from the air it can be angled down to work with his reflector. Basically a poison themed blaster shot.

His reflector will be tossed away from his like Falco's, it will deal moderate damage and trip the opponent. If the opponent is within "shine" range they'll be pushed in the direction that Leon is facing.

His flash will be horizontal, it will knock opponents in the direction of the flash if not sweet spotted. If sweet spotted he will grab the opponent, and have a 1 second window to throw, if not thrown he will poison the opponent and spring himself away. If grabbed in the air he will just spring away.

His Up B will have the same knock back properties as Firefox but will be poison themed, low initial damage with a DoT component.

Last edited:

Ginge

Smash Ace
3 (4 potentially) characters for a series isn't too much at all.
I think he meant in a fighting game with so many source games to draw from, why limit ourselves to overpopulating certain series when others aren't in the game yet or only have a single character? Why does Star Fox deserve a 4th character before Metroid or Donkey Kong get a third? Or Kid Icarus gets a second?

If we're looking at a cap of having less than 50 characters, we should try to bring in balance in choices. Some more female characters, for instance. Some more baddies.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I think he meant in a fighting game with so many source games to draw from, why limit ourselves to overpopulating certain series when others aren't in the game yet or only have a single character? Why does Star Fox deserve a 4th character before Metroid or Donkey Kong get a third? Or Kid Icarus gets a second?
This exactly word for word.

If we're looking at a cap of having less than 50 characters, we should try to bring in balance in choices. Some more female characters, for instance. Some more baddies. Some more robots.
Fixed.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
If we're looking at a cap of having less than 50 characters, we should try to bring in balance in choices. Some more female characters, for instance. Some more baddies. Some more robots. Some more :pichumelee:. Some more :alakadoof:
Fix'd

NWRL

Smash Ace

If we're looking at a cap of having less than 50 characters, we should try to bring in balance in choices. Some more female characters, for instance. Some more baddies.
Interesting concepts > fair representation

Not to say that characters from underrepresented series can't have interesting concepts but yeah.

inb4 the Pichu argument again.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Interesting concepts > fair representation

Not to say that characters from underrepresented series can't have interesting concepts but yeah.

inb4 the Pichu argument again.
Fair representation < Interesting Concepts <
Both

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Isn't that literally what I just said l0l
Nope. This is what you said.

This is what I said in word form:

"Representation is less than an interesting concept, but an interesting concept is less than just having both."

And if it still doesn't make sense to you how my statement is different.

"People would much rather have an interesting concept from a character in a series not yet seen, than a character in a series we've seen enough of."

NWRL

Smash Ace
Nope. This is what you said.

This is what I said in word form:

"Representation is less than an interesting concept, but an interesting concept is less than just having both."

And if it still doesn't make sense to you how my statement is different.

"People would much rather have an interesting concept from a character in a series not yet seen, than a character in a series we've seen enough of."
An interesting concept from an underrepresented series is just that: an interesting concept. The added bonus is that the character is from a series that has few/no characters. For instance, let's say they added in Geno but made him an exact clone of Lucas over a character from Fire Emblem that has new mechanics to Smash. Would that be a worthy addition to the roster? I'd say no because you're just pandering when you could be doing something innovative.

On the flip side let's say we add in Isaac with new mechanics to Smash over Waluigi who is sort've just a mishmash of moves from the Sports game. Isaac would be a good addition because he's adding something entirely new to the roster.

The hard part comes in a situation where you have two characters contesting for a spot that are both fresh and interesting but one comes from a series like Mario and the other is from a series like Custom Robo. Both add something awesome to the roster but there's only room for one.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
An interesting concept from an underrepresented series is just that: an interesting concept. The added bonus is that the character is from a series that has few/no characters. For instance, let's say they added in Geno but made him an exact clone of Lucas over a character from Fire Emblem that has new mechanics to Smash. Would that be a worthy addition to the roster? I'd say no because you're just pandering when you could be doing something innovative.

On the flip side let's say we add in Isaac with new mechanics to Smash over Waluigi who is sort've just a mishmash of moves from the Sports game. Isaac would be a good addition because he's adding something entirely new to the roster.
To the bolded, not exactly. Anything can be considered an interesting concept if approached correctly. But an interesting concept that is about a character from unrepped series, is different than just being an interesting concept. It is an interesting character that has a following that can draw more players into a series.

For instance, Sonic's appearance in Brawl instantly made a large portion of Sonic fans gravitate towards the franchise. This immediately makes the character who is from a series that is fresh to Smash Bros. the better option than a fanbase that has already gotten characters from their series in the game. I doubt a much larger margin of Mario fans that weren't already fans of Smash are going to hop into playing Smash just because one more of his friends got announced.

The hard part comes in a situation where you have two characters contesting for a spot that are both fresh and interesting but one comes from a series like Mario and the other is from a series like Custom Robo. Both add something awesome to the roster but there's only room for one.
And this statement further proves my point. The spot goes to the character that will draw new players to the franchise, provide an interesting and unique concept, and introduce players of Smash to a series they may not have seen or had interest in prior to Smash's release.

Arteen

Smash Lord
I definitely prefer adding new franchises where possible. It enriches the whole game.

Adding Sonic to Brawl didn't just add Sonic to the roster. It added a stage, an assist trophy and awesome music. It added trophies and stickers. It added a whole new universe. Including another Star Fox character, for example, isn't going to add nearly as much.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I definitely prefer adding new franchises where possible. It enriches the whole game.

Adding Sonic to Brawl didn't just add Sonic to the roster. It added a stage, an assist trophy and awesome music. It added trophies and stickers. It added a whole new universe. Including another Star Fox character, for example, isn't going to add nearly as much.
Thank you Arteen.

S

Sharic X

Very good point, sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom