• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm sure they'll edit it in some way. They know it doesn't make much sense, and they wouldn't just let there be both playable Lyn and AT Lyn.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Man. That Lyn moveset and fighting style explanation was amazing. I'm totally 100% down, especially if the PMBR would give her her Awakening Outfit as an alt. That set is too good. That, and she and Takamaru are the only logical katana users, I think because they represent the style better than Goroh. (Nothing against Goroh, just sayin'.)

Totally down with her and Dixie. (And the continually obvious choices, namely Earth-Cloud and Barney.)

I'm not so down with her Awakening as an alt. It honestly should be her main costume. Vanilla Lyn is bland as eating Cheerios while watching your brother down the last bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Bit of a difference between having duplicates of a "cosmetic" character appearing in the background of a stage, and a character who actually appears as a combatant, however briefly. It could potentially be confusing, even if they did make a fully new model for the character. Not so great from a design standpoint just to leave it in.
Then I guess they should replace her then as Solbliminal suggested.

They could always replace it with Galacta Knight from Kirby.

Man. That Lyn moveset and fighting style explanation was amazing. I'm totally 100% down, especially if the PMBR would give her her Awakening Outfit as an alt. That set is too good. That, and she and Takamaru are the only logical katana users, I think because they represent the style better than Goroh. (Nothing against Goroh, just sayin'.)

Totally down with her and Dixie. (And the continually obvious choices, namely Earth-Cloud and Barney.)
I agree. That detailed moveset is just so well thought out.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Bit of a difference between having duplicates of a "cosmetic" character appearing in the background of a stage, and a character who actually appears as a combatant, however briefly. It could potentially be confusing, even if they did make a fully new model for the character. Not so great from a design standpoint just to leave it in.

Then refer to options 1 and 2 in my reply.

ViewtifulHoe242

Smash Journeyman
**** dark samus, you guys are thinking too small. What about all the bounty hunters that were in mp:hunters that showed up as trophies in brawl? Sylux Weasel Noxus Spire Kanden. im not seeing why you would want dark samus who would probably end up as another bland clone character over these characters who have a wealth of options, weaponry and badassery between them and the potential to be so much more different than their base character samus, aside from the fact that dark samus would be easier to make (probably)

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
@Solbliminal

I mean, I wouldn't have anything against her Awakening outfit being the base outfit. At all. I just think they'd be more inclined to use her classic outfit as the main one, and the other as an alt, just because it's her roots, and the version in Brawl.

However, they could always do the opposite, and I'd be totally fine with that. I expect it to be part of her one way or another though.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
**** dark samus, you guys are thinking too small. What about all the bounty hunters that were in mp:hunters that showed up as trophies in brawl? Sylux Weasel Noxus Spire Kanden. im not seeing why you would want dark samus who would probably end up as another bland clone character over these characters who have a wealth of options, weaponry and badassery between them and the potential to be so much more different than their base character samus, aside from the fact that dark samus would be easier to make (probably)

I want what this guy is having.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
You know, the sword-sheathe style is pretty awesome. A few other comparisons/possible inspirations in addition to the ones mentioned in the linked post could be Vergil in UMvC3 (which was mentioned above) and Setsuka/ɑ Patroklos in SoulCalibur. Really, if you want to go that style - a quickdraw, quick hit, low-damage fast-strike character with Lyn, any problems I may have with her inclusion previously over other with more unique gameplay potential would be nil, because that style of fighting is awesome, and it would make Lyn worthy of inclusion seeing as she is really the only Nintendo character who can feasibly pull it off. And I've said as much before (also: holy crap, that was posted on Page 13 and we're at Page 143 now. I remember when this topic was created, haha).

EDIT:
I'm sure they'll edit it in some way. They know it doesn't make much sense, and they wouldn't just let there be both playable Lyn and AT Lyn.
You know, if they really wanted, they could just make a Takamaru model and replace her with him, because if she makes the jump, he's really the only fitting option for replacing her as an AT.

On that same note, if they chose replacements for any AT's they brought into playable status, such as Isaac, what other Nintendo characters could feasibly replace them, both with similar movesets and enough relevance to say that they could've been an AT in the first place?

EDIT 2: And obviously, by that I mean keeping the AT itself the same, but providing a new character as the model, so that the Lyn AT, as an example would still in the game, but it would be Takamaru who pops out rather than Lyn, as she would be playable, and he also wields a Katana and in theory can do everything that she does in her AT appearance too.

randomnerdchris

Smash Cadet
I actually really like the hunters from Prime but Dark Samus fits best in my mind to the fast samus clone i want. If you really want support for those the best thing is to create movesets, for me at least it helps flesh out the characters in my mind generally increasing their appeal.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
A few other comparisons/possible inspirations in addition to the ones mentioned in the linked post could be Vergil in UMvC3
That's right. Vergil's a good example of that style. The potiental of a Vergil inspired moveset...Who do I give my money to?

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
That's right. Vergil's a good example of that style. The potiental of a Vergil inspired moveset...Who do I give my money to?
Being a quick draw swordsman actually might not take a lot of effort to animate. I mean look at Vergil from UMvC3. He barely even moves his hand out of place when he slashes in his arial combos and dimension slash.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
It's a hate crime that Toon Zelda isn't in the OP. She's mentioned in Tetra's bio but doesn't have a bio herself. Toon Zelda has a great amount of pros to her, as she is her own character. This is the Clone Engine after all and as far as clear clones go she's crystal. I had the idea that Telda and Tetra could split Tink's articles since neither of them would need them all. I like them both, and on many-an-occasion have I said one without the other is yet another hate crime being commited. And as far as how she would work, think of Zelda but smaller, faster, and less trap focused. If we can use Tink for both a Zelda can finally have a bow, which could be sick. If we can't make the boomerang into a move more resembling Din's Fire than that could possibly be a new move based on a wind spell or move of some sort, kinda like Link's old Gale Boomerang. She doesn't have to be an exact 1:1 clone of Zelda like people think, she can get some new specials to mix it up if need be. Maybe this can change a few people's minds? I dunno, I just really like Telda, I forget if I threw her a full-vote but I would now if I didn't.

Bazkip

Smash Master
On that same note, if they chose replacements for any AT's they brought into playable status, such as Isaac, what other Nintendo characters could feasibly replace them, both with similar movesets and enough relevance to say that they could've been an AT in the first place?

Oh yeah, that one too. Forgot Isaac was a AT for a bit there.

I suppose the most logical replacement would be Felix

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
why replace them, don't most players turn items off?
Most do, but that doesn't mean that everybody does. And using AT's and playing as Lyn or Isaac and suddenly seeing a [far less awesome-looking] version of yourself pop out can be very confusing, especially if the other person is the one that summons it and you're getting your butt handed to you as you're trying to figure out which one of the two Lyn's/Isaac's on the screen is the one you're playing (indicators aside).

If an AT makes the jump to playable, then the AT itself has to change to avoid confusion, which would necessitate more work in creating a [far less awesome-looking] for said AT, but would ultimately be worth it and be a sort-of twofer, seeing as you get the AT-turned playable and another character gets the limelight they held and gets to show their moves as the new holder of that AT. Like a AT Clone Engine, except the AT's aren't being cloned so much as being passed on to other viable characters.

Speaking of that, since there is unused data for Ridley as an AT in the same way the Forbidden 7 has character data, is it possible to create an entirely new AT using that unused slot?

Xaranid

Smash Apprentice
After seeing that moveset, I'm actually a lot more interested in Lyn. Plus after seeing a few posts about it I could totally see Dixie Kong being interesting as well. While I didn't vote for either of them and there are other people I'd rather see, I could totally see them being in this.

Kes

Smash Cadet
Yes, yes yes to using Shiek as Lyndis' base, and then mixing in Ike/Marth/New moves as needed. Even the pikachu up B suggestion by Ginge makes sense to me. Shiek makes the most sense to me.

TopTierPichu

Smash Ace
im still not sold because it is another fire emblem character as Roy is another fire emblem character that is using a clone engine spot.
Pichu should be in because he is a vet but other than that no pokemon characters. the rest of the spots should should go to series with minimal representation (F-Zero) and series not in smash (Golden Sun)

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
im still not sold because it is another fire emblem character as Roy is another fire emblem character that is using a clone engine spot.
Pichu should be in because he is a vet but other than that no pokemon characters. the rest of the spots should should go to series with minimal representation (F-Zero) and series not in smash (Golden Sun)

There is no room to argue representation after 8 Pokemon. Even if they were in Melee.

HayabusaTaichou

Smash Apprentice
It's a hate crime that Toon Zelda isn't in the OP. She's mentioned in Tetra's bio but doesn't have a bio herself. Toon Zelda has a great amount of pros to her, as she is her own character. This is the Clone Engine after all and as far as clear clones go she's crystal. I had the idea that Telda and Tetra could split Tink's articles since neither of them would need them all. I like them both, and on many-an-occasion have I said one without the other is yet another hate crime being commited. And as far as how she would work, think of Zelda but smaller, faster, and less trap focused. If we can use Tink for both a Zelda can finally have a bow, which could be sick. If we can't make the boomerang into a move more resembling Din's Fire than that could possibly be a new move based on a wind spell or move of some sort, kinda like Link's old Gale Boomerang. She doesn't have to be an exact 1:1 clone of Zelda like people think, she can get some new specials to mix it up if need be. Maybe this can change a few people's minds? I dunno, I just really like Telda, I forget if I threw her a full-vote but I would now if I didn't.

Really anything you'd really need to make as part of a Toon Zelda character you could just give to Tetra and make Toon Zelda a costume.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
If you're going to use the argument of "another FE character", then remember we already have 8 Pokemon characters. I don't want another pokemon character which would total to 9. Also I never why did they separate PKMN trainer to 3 separate characters.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Lets see I think the spots will go like this:

Pichu-just because he's a vet and PM will do a great job,look at Roy.
Issac-Highest voted and sounds like an interesting character.
Metroid-They deserve another rep Dark Samus will be eaiser the Ridley.
Black Shadow and Gannondorf-It seems F-Zero is dead so this could be nice and Gannon with his own set seems cool.The latest release was October 21, 2004

The last one I am not as sure about Lyn seems cool,but two going to FE...then again look at Pichu.

Donkey Kong rep-Dixie doesn't seem to hard maybe like a Roy thing so It won't take as long as a new character like Mewtwo.

No matter what happens I believe the PMBR will do a great job.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I know the OP was finally updated but Anti Guy forgot fo change the Masked Man's entry: he's not really a spoiler, TopTierPichu proved that by reminding us his (albeit inferred) identity is revealed in Lucas' trophy.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I wouldn't even begin to expect another character reveal until at least several months from now. 2.5 came out what, last February? 2.6 in July?

I mean, maybe if they only do one character at first, I'd say 4 months minimum. I mean come on, they just finished that INCREDIBLE release where they added new characters along with innumerable other changes. Give em a break, they do this in their free time!

That said, they're ALSO fans, so I'm sure they're just as eager as us to see new characters brought to the Smash scene, and with 100k+ downloads in a week, even more excited for what a NEW character could do.

Still though, they need some time to chill.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I wouldn't even begin to expect another character reveal until at least several months from now. 2.5 came out what, last February? 2.6 in July?

I mean, maybe if they only do one character at first, I'd say 4 months minimum. I mean come on, they just finished that INCREDIBLE release where they added new characters along with innumerable other changes. Give em a break, they do this in their free time!

That said, they're ALSO fans, so I'm sure they're just as eager as us to see new characters brought to the Smash scene, and with 100k+ downloads in a week, even more excited for what a NEW character could do.

Still though, they need some time to chill.

No one is rushing them.

Ginge

Smash Ace
Considering between now and January they're only working on the 3.0b patch, we probably won't see a new character until at least April. Which is completely understandable :D

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
Black Shadow and Gannondorf-It seems F-Zero is dead so this could be nice and Gannon with his own set seems cool.
Speaking of the Black Shadow and Gannondorf discussion, did you know there is a fantastic mod that allows you to switch between the normal Ganon moveset and one with a sword, in the same way Samus can switch between fire and ice?
http://smashboards.com/threads/ganondorf-sword-mode-for-projectm.342640/

This seems like the best of both worlds for people who like Ganon as a clone, and for those who want a more unique moveset. Plus, the mod is really well done and is continuing to receive updates based upon user input.

Ginge

Smash Ace
Which is great for our personal copies of P:M, but since it is not in the official release, we can't use it for tourneys.

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
Which is great for our personal copies of P:M, but since it is not in the official release, we can't use it for tourneys.
True, but who knows what the future holds... perhaps the P:M staff will incorporate the mod if it receives enough attention and continues to be improved.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Honestly I'd love them to adapt that to a future release, and I know the author would like that as well. With a little reworking, the PMBR could easily fit that sword set in to make people happy.

Seriously though, that sword set is so much fun.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
If you want to look at it, 24 hours = 1 day, so 240 = 10 days, meaning 24 x 3 = 72 and 72 x 10 = 720. So, anywhere between 27-30 days they could get a character completed if it takes around 700 hours.

Which is completely unreasonable, however, considering they're not working 24/7, so two months at the absolute earliest and anywhere up to possibly a year at the latest and we could see another completely-finished character. And it probably wouldn't take that long considering the amount of time between 2.6 and 3.0, during which we got not only Roy and Mewtwo, but also alternate models for around half the current cast.

Ginge

Smash Ace
True, but who knows what the future holds... perhaps the P:M staff will incorporate the mod if it receives enough attention and continues to be improved.
Question: Version 2.0 of the sword ganon came out when? How different does he play from P:Mv3.0 Ganon?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Yeah, and I expect the next release'll have a few alt costumes as well. It's one of those things ill bet they love to do, because they can rep cool things, revitalize characters and expand their art collection.

The real difficulty aside from designing characters will be balancing them against the existing cast, since they seem to be getting the balance of current characters close to where they want em.

@Ginge:

The most recent Sword Ganon came out on...Saturday? I think he may have been adapted to the changes to 3.0 Ganon. The moveset, aside from f-tilt, side-b and...something, is totally different.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Dang I missed the awesome lyn talk D:

It would seem that you guys are talking about ganon, am I the only one who's fine with how he is?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Ganon IS fine the way he is, but what's wrong with an alternate play style that still allows you to have both? Especially when it'd solve the issue of people wanting a sword Ganon without taking away his Brawler style for players that like him that way.

In addition, the Set's already done =D

Ginge

Smash Ace
Dang I missed the awesome lyn talk D:

It would seem that you guys are talking about ganon, am I the only one who's fine with how he is?
I like how he is. But I want to try this Sword Ganon mod.

@Ginge:

The most recent Sword Ganon came out on...Saturday? I think he may have been adapted to the changes to 3.0 Ganon. The moveset, aside from f-tilt, side-b and...something, is totally different.
Any reason that when following the link for version 2.0, I got brought to the download for 1.0 Beta?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom