• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
I still think a graceful Ike is the best way to handle Lyn. Not every character in the Clone Engine can be OHMYGAH AMAZING NEW YES sometimes a clone can be fun, too.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Yeah, I like both ideas. It's tough - I think Marth is probably the perfect base for her, but it'd also mean three characters are repping that playstyle. There's something nice about her being cloned off Ike instead. The problem then becomes that a lot of Ike's attacks are too meaty/hefty for someone like Lyn, and you'd want to change not just the move properties, but the animations.

Fsmash is a good example. Lyn definitely shouldn't be taking her Katana over her head with two hands and crashing it down on the ground, that'd be silly. It should probably be one of those deals where she puts her hand on the hilt of the sword and then draws it out from her belt in front of her. So that requires a lot of re-tooling of animations.

Conversely, if Lyn is on top of Marth, you'd probably still want to change her Fsmash. It's such an iconic Marth move, and Roy retained it but made it his own. A third character getting it might begin to feel like overkill. That said, if you don't change the move, it actually would seem someone appropriate. (It's still not entirely how Lyn would fight, but it's closer than Ike).

So with Ike you inherit more work, but it's work you'd probably have wanted to do on Marth anyway. And there are some moves that would be nice on Lyn with re-tooled properties. Ike's bair and tilts would probably all work well, and as Qx7 mentioned, quickdraw's a good starting point for that one iconic move she's got.

It's definitely interesting! I could see both bases working. Were it up to me, I'd pick Ike, but I might be missing something.

Edit: Oo, Marthmario mentioned Sheik - what if Lyn is an Ike/Sheik hybrid?

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Being a quick draw swordsman actually might not take a lot of effort to animate. I mean look at Vergil from UMvC3. He barely even moves his hand out of place when he slashes in his arial combos and dimension slash. The most you have to do is make it look like she is attacking quickly.

Ginge

Smash Ace
I was actually considering having her as a sheik clone. Dem Ninja skills! :D
Hmmm...
- Needles replaced with arrows fired from a bow
- Down-B turned into something more like Meta Knight's.
- Marth's d-air.
- Side-B either like Ike's Side-B or Roy's forward tilt (with charge up).

EDIT: Crack theory:
Lyn's Up-B functions like Pikachu's.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I still think a graceful Ike is the best way to handle Lyn. Not every character in the Clone Engine can be OHMYGAH AMAZING NEW YES sometimes a clone can be fun, too.

While this is true, that is for PMBR to decide. We are the fans for a reason. They will do what they can so we all shouldn't be limiting ourselves to what we choose. We all will likely be pleased with the results, clone or not.

I'm not suggesting we ignore how much effort goes into a character and increase PMBR's workload, but I am saying why limit our suggestions when we aren't completely aware of what PMBR is capable of when it comes to unique characters? If they are capable of more and we don't suggest these things, how will they know what we truly want out of a character?

Ginge

Smash Ace
I'm new ok? *laughs*
Eh. Fine. But only because the discussion about "Like buttons are a thing for a reason" was in the Alt Costume thread. :p

And now you know for the future: Don't say a post of just "I like that" unless you also feel the need to expand on it. Just hit "like".
We'll make a decent Smash Boards user out of you yet. :smash:

Marthmario

Smash Lord
Sire Yes Sir!

Anyway back on topic, I feel like Lyn would gain the most from being a sheik clone. Ike just doesn't suit her.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Sire Yes Sir!

Anyway back on topic, I feel like Lyn would gain the most from being a sheik clone. Ike just doesn't suit her.

Isn't Lyn also an archer? She could benefit from that nifty Light Arrow that Sheik has.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
I say the PMBR should take ManlySpirit's concept moveset into consideration. I did not know he had little doodles for certain moves.

Edit: I'm thinking about it now and I think her Awakening look should be her default look or at the very least her potiental alt if she gets one.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I say the PMBR should take ManlySpirit's concept moveset into consideration. I did not know he had little doodles for certain moves.
Completely agree with this. It was ManlySpirit's suggestions that sold me to the idea of a lightning-fast katana-user being an excellent addition. Only recently did I start enjoying Marth's swordplay; I can only imagine what the PMBR would be able to do with Lyn.

randomnerdchris

Smash Cadet
Here's my votes ill save a couple of upvotes for later because i just can't decide on the other two
+1:
Black Shadow/Ganondorf - I love ganondorf's move set in PM but it doesn't do him justice and after looking at black shadow i fell in love with this idea. It would fit black shadow so well and allow Ganon to have the moveset he deserves.
Dark Samus - Nothing against ridley but i would really enjoy playing a faster samus. Idk Samus has always felt a little stilted to me even though i think she has an interesting playstyle so a sped up version seems perfect.
Skull Kid - After seeing the moveset that i think fortress(correct me if i'm wrong) put up id love to play as that character.

Half:
Isaac - I've never played the Golden Sun series but the main character from a franchise that popular deserves at least my half vote.
Ridley - I have faith that the PMBR could make this work but the playstyles presented here dont seem as compelling to me as the ones for dark samus.
Waluigi - cause he's fun
Bowser Jr. - I like this character a lot but i can't envision a compelling moveset for him and a fast Bowser doesn't seem appealing or appropriate to Bowser Jr.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I dunno, but I've always imagined Dark Samus to be better off as a Zelda clone, mainly due to the teleportation ability. Though I'd be okay with a faster Samus to.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
What happens to the assist trophy if Lyn is added?

They remove it, put a new one in its place, or ignore it completely. I mean we do have King Dedede floating in the background of one of the stages while having a playable Dedede.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
What happens to the assist trophy if Lyn is added?
I would say nothing. In Injustice, Doomsday appears in the background of the Fortress of Solitude. His costume changes should you play as Doomsday but he's not removed from the stage.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I would say nothing. In Injustice, Doomsday appears in the background of the Fortress of Solitude. His costume changes should you play as Doomsday but he's not removed from the stage.

They could always replace it with Galacta Knight from Kirby.

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
I only want a magic using fire emblem character. A tactician would be the best compromise. Personally, any MU would be awesome due to their diversity (in appearance and attacks) but it cannot be used due to legal bs, although they could probably get around it with creativity. Just give the fire emblem characters alts based off of other fire emblem characters and be done with it.

If any character should be included, they need to be very clone worthy. Like dixie, tetra/toon zelda, pichu, dark samus, or waluigi. Actually, snake could be used as a base for a few characters...

randomnerdchris

Smash Cadet
I dunno, but I've always imagined Dark Samus to be better off as a Zelda clone, mainly due to the teleportation ability. Though I'd be okay with a faster Samus to.
Well couldn't they just give Dark Samus a teleport, PMBR managed it with mewtwo. Although that might give her(?) too much recovery(especially if you could act out of it like mewtwo's)

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Man. That Lyn moveset and fighting style explanation was amazing. I'm totally 100% down, especially if the PMBR would give her her Awakening Outfit as an alt. That set is too good. That, and she and Takamaru are the only logical katana users, I think because they represent the style better than Goroh. (Nothing against Goroh, just sayin'.)

Totally down with her and Dixie. (And the continually obvious choices, namely Earth-Cloud and Barney.)

Bazkip

Smash Master
They remove it, put a new one in its place, or ignore it completely. I mean we do have King Dedede floating in the background of one of the stages while having a playable Dedede.
Bit of a difference between having duplicates of a "cosmetic" character appearing in the background of a stage, and a character who actually appears as a combatant, however briefly. It could potentially be confusing, even if they did make a fully new model for the character. Not so great from a design standpoint just to leave it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom