• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character to be Shown Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 245254

I just realized that there's only two villains in the roster at the moment.
I don't understand why the proportion of hero to villain is even important. It's just as made up as "original 12".

More heroes happen to be more iconic than their villains. Simple as that.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I just realized that there's only two villains in the roster at the moment.
And only one true unconfirmed super likely villain veteran to reveal (Ganondorf) and people say the series doesn't need more bad guys.

Nope not at all.

Last edited:

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Honestly, I'd just laugh and laugh and laugh if it ended up being Sagi from Baiten Katos, being Monolith Soft and all.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I don't understand why the proportion of hero to villain is even important. It's just as made up as "original 12".

More heroes happen to be more iconic than their villains. Simple as that.
Original 12's not made up at all, and yes, we should get more villains.

D

Deleted member 245254

How is it not made up? It was stated that ness was being considered to be dropped.

Last edited by a moderator:

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Not every villain is iconic, sure, but many are. Ridley is, and should be represented in Smash in some big way, but his problem is that he shares billing with Mother Brain and Kraid from the early days - the Prime series helped narrow that.

Dark versions of characters is a fairly typical Nintendo cop-out, and so Dark Samus, Dark Pit, Bearded Communist Villager are all better suited as alternate costumes.

All of that said, I think a good Fire Emblem Villain (such as the Black Knight who won't make it in, but praise be to the dark lord was he impactful in Path of Radiance) or perhaps even someone like Captain Syrup would be nice for a change of pace. I get why K. Rool fans want him - I feel like I'm snakebit and stung by that really awful DK cartoon, and I also never really cared or paid attention to the Kremlings in the way that I always liked the Koopas. They're there - I get it, but they just have no lasting influence to me - the important parts about DKC always seemed to be the environments, the music and the protagonists - the enemies were probably the least memorable in any iconic game series I feel I've EVER seen.

I main DK, btw.

Also you're ridiculous if you think Ganondorf's cut, and certain Pokemon could seem that way to you too depending on your perspective.

The announcement is going to be Dr. Kawashima's floating disembodied head because Brain Age just got released on the Wii U virtual console in Japan.

Let's all be arbitrary, guyz!

FalconOwnage

Smash Apprentice
You're all forgetting about: :metaknight:(not OP this time) :wolf: (THE main enemy of Fox) :wario: (THE main enemy of Mario)
:ganondorf: (THE main enemy of Link) and :mewtwopm: (the most highly requested character)

5 basically confirmed villains right there.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
It's odd wanting more bad guys in Smash now? :/ That's one of the big things about the roster. To finally get to play those evil dudes you Always beat in other games. I'm sure people felt it very special in Melee, being able to beat Mario with Bowser. And so on.

Anyways, speaking of villains, I hope Ganonewdorf is shown in Shulk's trailer. New moveset and all!

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222
You're all forgetting about: :metaknight:(not OP this time) :wolf: (THE main enemy of Fox) :wario: (THE main enemy of Mario)
:ganondorf: (THE main enemy of Link) and :mewtwopm: (the most highly requested character)

Except MK and Wolf are pretty much rivals, Wario's an anti-hero, and Mewtwo can be caught and trained by the player.

wewewezing

Smash Cadet
Alright, I have a Theory, although it goes against the Gematsu leak

So we all know Sakurai loves to include stuff form games he worked on
:4palutena::4pit::4kirby::4dedede:

Now last Smash Game we had :kirby2::dedede::metaknight:

This time around, we only have :kirby2::dedede:

It was revealed earlier that :dedede:'s side special where he used to throw either a Waddle Dee, Waddle Doo or Gordo (Or whatever that spikey thing is called :p)

This time though, he only throws the spikeys! (Seriously, I outta look up its real name x_x)

So a reason the waddle Dee's are no longer included could be...

Mighty_Guy100

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mighty_Guy100

After reading that I realized that even if all the safe bet villains do return, we wouldn't get a new one. There has to be a villain newcomer right? (well it doesn't have to happen but it does at the same time)

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I find it odd in that case Basuke that some newcomers wouldn't get a trailer. I mean why not, secret or otherwise?

I find it especially stupid that someone like Ridley doesn't get a trailer if your theory is correct, but honestly at this point if it got him in the game whatever.

Still weird though.
I think it would be weird to get a trailer for a hidden character.... I mean, the point is that they are hidden.
That, or the point is that they are hidden, and we are not supposed to know, and therefore the 'bottom of the videos' would not apply anyway or we would know they are hidden.
But we have no gotten hidden character videos before, I would find it a bit weird now. At that point they are just in game cutscenes, which to me, are just a completely different experience, different terminology and all, and possibly even relate to whatever the games have in store that we do not know about, game play wise.

Except MK and Wolf are pretty much rivals, Wario's an anti-hero, and Mewtwo can be caught and trained by the player.
Dude, you are reciting why they are not villains. They are still bad
They said a new character would be revealed, not two new characters.
Which would be the surprise!
All of that said, I think a good Fire Emblem Villain (such as the Black Knight who won't make it in, but praise be to the dark lord was he impactful in Path of Radiance) or perhaps even someone like Captain Syrup would be nice for a change of pace. I get why K. Rool fans want him - I feel like I'm snakebit and stung by that really awful DK cartoon, and I also never really cared or paid attention to the Kremlings in the way that I always liked the Koopas. They're there - I get it, but they just have no lasting influence to me - the important parts about DKC always seemed to be the environments, the music and the protagonists - the enemies were probably the least memorable in any iconic game series I feel I've EVER seen.
Dude, I respect your ability to state your opinion, but in the same paragraph you state Black Mage is an iconic villain that King K Rool is unmemorable.
I mean, even if you don't like the guy, forgettable is something that he certainly doesn't seem to be. He has one of the clearer personalities in gaming.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Sakurai, thank you for giving us plenty of time to prepare ourselves... here! One pump per person, please! Hopefully there's enough for everyone!

What? Sakurai likes cinnamon buns, okay? :troll:

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
>"Masamune Samurai sucks! We need more women in the game!"
>Puts more women in the game.
>"Masahara Soccer-eye sucks! He needs to give more love to the bad guys!"
>????

(I wouldn't be surprised if the villains are just secret characters and don't have a reveal trailer, but I'm willing to bet he probably put some more villains in this game. Could be wrong though :awesome:. I'm not one to pretend my predictions are 100% correct and rub it in peoples faces. :troll:)

Sakurai, thank you for giving us plenty of time to prepare ourselves... here! One pump per person, please! Hopefully there's enough for everyone!

Ugh, artificially flavored cinnamon never actually tastes like cinnamon. :troll:

Last edited:

TheDMonroeShow

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3695-0037-2189
I feel like even though I'm expecting Shulk on Monday, nothing will prepare me for actually seeing him in the game and acknowledging that he's a playable character.

It'll be like being run over by the hype train on Monday, regardless of whether I expect him or not.
This. I always see complaining about newcomers being spoiled but even though I was hoping an expecting palutena..NOTHING could of prepared me for that trailer.

There's a huge difference of expecting a character and getting that 100% confirmation and seeing that person in action. Not to mention with how hype they've been making these trailers and I have no doubt shulk's will be any different.

Lozjam

Smash Champion

Nah man, Sakurai sometimes leave fans buthurt. It's a big problem.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
As much as my signature points to the fact I don't think it'll be anybody that anyone expects (i.e. no gematsu/ridley), I will be completely floored no matter who it is.

Even if he legitimately just put his cat in as a fighter or something.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
My guess on why he's doing this now is it's very possible he's running out of shows or events prior to release that he can show characters at but he didn't want to go the Pac-Man route with the reveal and have it be a little anti-climatic (basically showing it to a limited number of people and then just throwing him up on the website) or release it as a random POTD causing the release trailers to have less of an impact.

I'm still on the side of Shulk mostly because I have been wanting him long before the Leak even came out. Everyone is picking their guessing for different reasons, some people are clamoring for the character they've always wanted, some because they think the leak is the final answer, some people are making their view based on the other reactions of others to the announcement.

Though, whether Shulk is the one or not it's unlikely to upset me either way. They're a few character choices that Sakurai could legitimately upset me with.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
I t
Dude, I respect your ability to state your opinion, but in the same paragraph you state Black Mage is an iconic villain that King K Rool is unmemorable.
I mean, even if you don't like the guy, forgettable is something that he certainly doesn't seem to be. He has one of the clearer personalities in gaming.
Well - don't get me wrong, a series villain is going to outrank a one and done dude and he totally won't be in the game- but K. Rool is a megalomaniacal reptillian king (sound familiar?) and the Black Knight kills Ike's dad in an actually fairly brutal fashion, by Nintendo standards and you have to have an iconic fight with him with Ike's sister backing you up.

In my opinion, it's probably one of the most iconic boss battles in Nintendo franchise history up there with Ganondorf in OoT, Bowser in SMB1 and SMW, Mother Brain, and battling Gary for the last time in Pokemon Red and Blue. It's the only time I feel like there's this much weight in a Fire Emblem battle because you can escape the battle, and it has an effect in Radiant Dawn.

I have to overtly state that I have Fire Emblem bias - I was hired by Nintendo via a third party marketing firm to work on Shadow Dragon's promotion throughout the US - I LOVE Fire Emblem (even though I'm not all that jazzed for Chrom) and I main DK - and played DKC in my early days. I respect the K. Rool fanbase, but I also don't really understand it.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Is that actually a remix of Welcome To Crocodile Island?
The DK cartoon went from 'so bad it's good' to 'so bad it's good, plus some actually good things'
Well - don't get me wrong, a series villain is going to outrank a one and done dude and he totally won't be in the game- but K. Rool is a megalomaniacal reptillian king (sound familiar?) and the Black Knight kills Ike's dad in an actually fairly brutal fashion, by Nintendo standards and you have to have an iconic fight with him with Ike's sister backing you up.

In my opinion, it's probably one of the most iconic boss battles in Nintendo franchise history up there with Ganondorf in OoT, Bowser in SMB1 and SMW, Mother Brain, and battling Gary for the last time in Pokemon Red and Blue. It's the only time I feel like there's this much weight in a Fire Emblem battle because you can escape the battle, and it has an effect in Radiant Dawn.

I have to overtly state that I have Fire Emblem bias - I was hired by Nintendo via a third party marketing firm to work on Shadow Dragon's promotion throughout the US - I LOVE Fire Emblem (even though I'm not all that jazzed for Chrom) and I main DK - and played DKC in my early days. I respect the K. Rool fanbase, but I also don't really understand it.
As much as I love the idea of Chrom being a balanced swordsman between Marth and Ike, Black Knight would be the best. thing. ever!

Last edited:

KiraYoshikage

Smash Journeyman
I don't know much about Shulk...which is why i want him in. Its always a joy to learn about characters through Smash Bros.

But I do have a theory that the Xenoblade people re-tweeting the news is just a ploy to catch us off guard. But that cant be true...right? :troll:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

wow.... spoiler. thanks.

wewewezing

Smash Cadet
I may be the only person thinking this, but wouldn't it be awesome to get a double reveal?

Imagine this, all the smash fighters start their fight, Pikmin, lasers, fireballs, etc are flying everywhere, wait! There's something flying up high, its moving very fast.

First Person Point of view of whatever is flying, it zips along in the air as fast as it can, you see it looking down, it see's Samus, and changes course, dive bombing, landing on her, its feet on her back. The Camera pan up...and its Ridley!

The Smash fighters start to attack the new Challenger, Ridley shows off a move or two, and just when it seems like he is getting the upper hand, Shulk comes in! Bashing Ridley with his sword!

I don't know about you guys, but that would be an AWESOME reveal IMO

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
I feel like even though I'm expecting Shulk on Monday, nothing will prepare me for actually seeing him in the game and acknowledging that he's a playable character.

It'll be like being run over by the hype train on Monday, regardless of whether I expect him or not.
Dude, that was my reaction to Pac-Man. I knew he was in, I knew he was my most wanted character, but actually seeing him in action was hard to believe, like a dream. I still watch the trailer and just smile in disbelief and pure happiness.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
wow.... spoiler. thanks.
2005 spoilers for a rare Gamecube game that costs 75 - 150 dollars that is an event that is telegraphed from very early on.

But by all means - you do know the princess is in another castle, btw

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
The shulk train looks kinda full, so I think I'm just going to hold off and catch the Isaac one. It's going to the same place anyway.
Or because Waddle Dees show up in Smash Run.
It's true I was there for the conversation.

Sakurai: "Ok, now give DDD back his side special from brawl."
Co: "Remember we already used the waddle dees in smash run?"
Sakurai: "Dammit! I did not think this through! Just give him the gordos then."

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
So....How many reveal trailers do you think will be left after this one?

Sakurai said that they are nearing the end of trailer stash, so I'm going to assume that after the one on monday we have one or two more character trailers left. They usually appear in Nintendo directs but we are two months away from the game's release in Japan and there aren't just enough events in between to showcase them. Some people are saying that there is going to be another Direct in august, so he could show the last or penultimate character reveal trailer there.

Last edited:

domokl

Smash Lord
Even if he shows the gematsu character here then a gematsu character in the august direct that would only be one secret newcomer which basically tells me atleast there is more than gematsu

Book Jacket

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys! This is the new miiverse thread, right?

...Okay but seriously, just wanted to add that nothing is guaranteed. Couple'a re-tweets don't mean squat.

That being said, I'm going to love whoever they decide to show. Once I see the characters in Smash, I am incapable of hating them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom