• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character to be Shown Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
Interesting choice of characters to be revealed.
Robin is a perfect addition to the roster, especially with His/Her moveset.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
How would he have confirmed that?
Well, presumably, he saw the e-mail. It was one of the first things people were asking about right after E3 last year. Apparently the guy who checked is well respected guy over there, but I'm not going to go look it up for a leak that is at best unreliable, and at worst completely fake.

Number1joker

Smash Rookie
Warning Received
Interesting choice of characters to be revealed.
Robin is a perfect addition to the roster, especially with His/Her moveset.
no.

this is so ****ing gay its not even funny

generic anime characters hurray!!! Where the **** is ridley or king k rool????? or sceptile to represent the grass starters????

No instead we get this ****ing ass bull****. We get **** on by the asshole of japan.

Why is everyone whining so much? Y'all need to learn to like what you get instead of expecting your fan fiction driven beliefs to be played out how you want it.

Don't tell me out of 30 + characters you get mad because you can't get another one. That's lame.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Well, presumably, he saw the e-mail. It was one of the first things people were asking about right after E3 last year. Apparently the guy who checked is well respected guy over there, but I'm not going to go look it up for a leak that is at best unreliable, and at worst completely fake.
I see. It's not as if an email is completely impossible to forge anyway...

Either way, the leak isn't worth the time of day now. Even if any part of it was ever legit, it's completely worthless now.

Number1joker

Smash Rookie
Why is everyone whining so much? Y'all need to learn to like what you get instead of expecting your fan fiction driven beliefs to be played out how you want it.

Don't tell me out of 30 + characters you get mad because you can't get another one. That's lame.
too bad like half of the 30 charatcers ****ing suck assholes

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
no.

this is so ****ing gay its not even funny

generic anime characters hurray!!! Where the **** is ridley or king k rool????? or sceptile to represent the grass starters????

No instead we get this ****ing *** bull****. We get **** on by the ******* of japan.
uh um.jpg

Nice try, but nobody's going to fall for you trying to start something. C- for effort.

Last edited:

Godking123

Smash Journeyman
Not really sure why this Smash Bros. has some type of fascination with generic avatar characters who have no unique identities like Link, Mario, Fox, etc. Kind of stupid imo.

And clones as similar as Lucina... let's not. Disappointed all around for this reveal and it isn't my first disappointment with this underwhelming game.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
I'll be honest, I agreed with many when they said Robin would be a better choice as a character than Chrom would be. I just didn't actually see it happening. I'm happy to eat my words here because Robin actually does look like an interesting character.

Lucina's reveal is... different for me. I've never liked Marth, mainly because his playstyle doesn't really suit me and the butthead needs to learn some English. I like Lucina better as a character, even if she is a clone, but I'm disappointed that she is basically a clone and nothing more. I was really hoping we wouldn't get as many clones this time around, and with Lucina looking like a new character but a blatant clone of an existing one, it makes me worry for Lucas, Falco, Wolf, and Ganondorf. I was really hoping for them to become more unique characters, and they still might, but Lucina's inclusion also tells me Sakurai is okay with a character being completely similar to another.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I see. It's not as if an email is completely impossible to forge anyway...

Either way, the leak isn't worth the time of day now. Even if any part of it was ever legit, it's completely worthless now.
Agreed, the only way this thing could have legs is if the source only had access to early documents, and has fabricated the rest of the information as it relates to things such as trailer release dates. Even if this is the case, the information has proven to no longer be valid (if it ever was) so it is more or less worthless.

Maybe we will one day hack the disk and see place holder data for Chrom. Maybe Chorus Kids will be announced in August and all hell will break loose. Regardless, we can not count on this leak for up to date and factual information.

Niala

Smash Ace
Not really sure why this Smash Bros. has some type of fascination with generic avatar characters who have no unique identities like Link, Mario, Fox, etc. Kind of stupid imo.

And clones as similar as Lucina... let's not. Disappointed all around for this reveal and it isn't my first disappointment with this underwhelming game.
In Smash Bros. defense, Nintendo also has a massive fascination with such characters. The whole silent protagonist thing has been abused by that company for so long I'm not certain they actually know how to write a story where the protagonist has a personality anymore...

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
Strictly speaking, Robin is an avatar character. Each gender actually has 3 different styles they can appear as, each with 5 different hairstyles and each of those hairstyles with 20 possible colours. That being said, the one they chose to use as a promotion is the same as the base avatar from Awakening, so there's no reason to be surprised or upset, it should have been the expectation.
you are right i should have specified its his artwork look but still blaming sakurai for it seems weird lol

Lord Ike

Smash Rookie
I totally agree with this sentiment. Although I'm not all that into Awakening, I know enough about it to want your freakin FE:A avatar over Chrom anyway. Lucina also is neat.

Captain Falcon was glorious, too.

That's like saying "I hate that Falco is in the game. He's just a clone of Fox."
Oh wait. He hasn't been revealed yet. I wonder if he made it in! :troll:

People hate similar movesets unless it's a character they really like I guess. :troll:
The thing that really makes me mad is that Sakurai would rather have a clone than a completely new character in Chrom.

FlyingPikmin

Banned via Warnings
Warning Received
these characters all suck ass where's bulborb? bulborb should be playable **** you sakurai

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
In Smash Bros. defense, Nintendo also has a massive fascination with such characters. The whole silent protagonist thing has been abused by that company for so long I'm not certain they actually know how to write a story where the protagonist has a personality anymore...
i mean wasnt that the whole goal of some of these characters though, to make it feel like the player is in the world and not just along for the ride which is the main point of these types of characters

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
People(I'm referring to these one post joes),if your gonna voiced your opposing views towards recent news,do it a mannerable fashion.

Last edited:

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Lol at whoever said "generic anime characters."

Because we have so many anime-looking characters in Super Smash Bros, right? There's too much cartoon and cutesy characters, and we should remove them!

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
I think the Smashbros home page doesn't have the newcomer tag for Lucina because it was rushed. They probably swapped out Shulk this weekend. I made a post on the Japanese everything thread that the Xenoblade director posted a tweet about how weird it was that he has 60 new oversea followers (and then people replied to that tweet with Xenoblade/Shulk spam)

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
are people finally getting booted from gf and coming here to complain now?
I reported a couple posts and hit ignore on them *shrug*.
I guess if you report a person too many times they just tell you to ignore them anyway :awesome:

Anyway, I only thought we were getting one character. I preferred Robin over Chrom, so Lucina was just a happy little extra for me.

Number1joker

Smash Rookie
Lol at whoever said "generic anime characters."

Because we have so many anime-looking characters in Super Smash Bros, right? There's too much cartoon and cutesy characters, and we should remove them!
No because then we'll have another Street fighter or other typical anime fighter.

Smash is supposed to be unique. These new characters have no place in this game and it is THEY who should be removed and wtf r u talking about wasn't roy marth and ike enough????????

Niala

Smash Ace
you are right i should have specified its his artwork look but still blaming sakurai for it seems weird lol
Unfortunately, any hate directed towards the game will be directly translated to the face we all know, Sakurai. Hating on any aspect of the game is hating on Sakurai, since he's the only person we can blame.

i mean wasnt that the whole goal of some of these characters though, to make it feel like the player is in the world and not just along for the ride which is the main point of these types of characters
That is true, the intent of a silent protagonist is to allow the player to more closely relate to their situation. If the character doesn't give you a motive, you can insert your own. Unfortunately, it also removes an aspect to story-telling, where the character becomes somewhat uninvolved in the process. The story happens around them rather than complying with their decisions, because the character is relatively unable to make decisions of their own. More often than not, that character could have been replaced by another character in the game as the main protagonist, since their choices are typically second-hand, and actually decided upon for them.

I'm actually starting to get a kick out of you self-threading. It's like watching a dog lick it's own balls.

Joalro

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0189-8794-0585
No because then we'll have another Street fighter or other typical anime fighter.

Smash is supposed to be unique. These new characters have no place in this game and it is THEY who should be removed and wtf r u talking about wasn't roy marth and ike enough????????
Smash is unique. It only (or mostly) has Nintendo characters. Fire Emblem is Nintendo. They also have plenty of characters that aren't Fire Emblem. Horray for them!

Number1joker

Smash Rookie
Warning Received
Unfortunately, any hate directed towards the game will be directly translated to the face we all know, Sakurai. Hating on any aspect of the game is hating on Sakurai, since he's the only person we can blame.

That is true, the intent of a silent protagonist is to allow the player to more closely relate to their situation. If the character doesn't give you a motive, you can insert your own. Unfortunately, it also removes an aspect to story-telling, where the character becomes somewhat uninvolved in the process. The story happens around them rather than complying with their decisions, because the character is relatively unable to make decisions of their own. More often than not, that character could have been replaced by another character in the game as the main protagonist, since their choices are typically second-hand, and actually decided upon for them.

I'm actually starting to get a kick out of you self-threading. It's like watching a dog lick it's own balls.
that isnt me dumb****

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper

oh i agree but its just how nintendo has done things til now. We might start getting more story from zelda since its been slowly heading that way but time well tell

Wraeith

Smash Cadet
How in the world do people get so bratty? "BUT I WANTED ROY!!" No you didn't, you just wanted something to complain about.
I can't speak for the others who are upset, but the reason I was disappointed with Lucina is because of the implications of her being added rather than the character herself.

One fear I had during the E3 Invitational was that a lot of Marth's lost strength was due to another Fire Emblem character taking some of his identity, in this case, Marth's characteristic speed, aerials, and combo-potential being shifted to Lucina. The ultimate result of this is players who main Marth are left with two fractured halves of what the character once was.

Although, I still have faith the release version of Smash will have less lag in general.

SoaringDive

Smash Cadet
NNID
SoaringDive
3DS FC
2148-8150-1379
3 out of 36? Maybe I've lost touch with the mainstream but that's hardly what I'd call a "fascination"...

Last edited:

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
I can't speak for the others who are upset, but the reason I was disappointed with Lucina is because of the implications of her being added rather than the character herself.

One fear I had during the E3 Invitational was that a lot of Marth's lost strength was due to another Fire Emblem character taking some of his identity, in this case, Marth's characteristic speed, aerials, and combo-potential being shifted to Lucina. The ultimate result of this is players who main Marth are left with two fractured halves of what the character once was.

Although, I still have faith the release version of Smash will have less lag in general.
i think this was due to how marth was changed in the remakes of the older games where he is a slightly slower but stronger character then he was before, or he was just nerfed since he has been top since hes been in.

Niala

Smash Ace
oh i agree but its just how nintendo has done things til now. We might start getting more story from zelda since its been slowly heading that way but time well tell
Exactly, it is incredibly common for Nintendo to use silent protagonists. However, that was my initial point, that Smash Bros. has a lot of silent protagonists simply because Nintendo does.

Last edited:

SoaringDive

Smash Cadet
NNID
SoaringDive
3DS FC
2148-8150-1379

This is a reasonable complaint, definitely. I hope Marth gets a good tipper buff because of this split.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Sometimes, people should think and listen before saying everybody here is "ridicously stupid".

There are many FACTS that suggest Lucina could be a special costume instead of a brand new character.

1) The '?' symbol at the trailer suggests something unusual.
2) Every single move and animation she does is exactly the same as Marth's.
3) Official websites in many languages listed her as a "veteran fighter".
4) Official website in every language listed her in a little square, which is used for veterans, instead of a big rectangle, which is used for newcomers.
5) Sakurai posted three captures on Miiverse: Robin's, Ct. Falcon's and an illustration. Nothing about Lucina.
6) 7 hours later, nobody knows if she's a newcomer or a cool costume.

These are, as I said, FACTS. You can consider whatever you want, but these facts could be telling she's just a costume.
What? No, some of those aren't even facts. They are assumptions. I swear this board needs to refresh its dictionary...

You want facts? Lucina is tagged as a newcomer, has a challenger approaching banner, got her own segment of the character reveal trailer, got a splash image denoting her joining the battle, and already I am seeing some people suggest she may not be a straight clone.

Also, 7 hours ago I knew she was a new character.

So, now that I've given my rebuttle, I think you can see that your "facts" are simply over enthusiastic opinions mixed with some misinterpretation. She is her own character. That should never have been called into question.

SoaringDive

Smash Cadet
NNID
SoaringDive
3DS FC
2148-8150-1379
The Baby

You should correct that to 2, isn't Fox his own character with personality?
Actually, I made a mistake. My three were Miis, Robin, and Villager, and I thought his list were characters with unique personality to as counterexamples of what he was complaining about.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom