• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character to be Shown Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperBoshi

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
JOHN#281
If it was not for the Gematsu Leak (THANKS INTERNET) & the developers + Shulks voice actor tweeting, it would be much more exiting! Though many would still point fingers to Chrom or Shulk, but Chorus Trio would totally be outta the picture! Soo

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I basically see it going one of two ways:

- Secret unlockables, Gematsu only knew the characters who were to be announced.
- All will be announced before, but Gematsu is incomplete.

I don't see how Sakurai would keep teasing fans with Ridley if he's not playable, he made no mistake about all the other deconfirmed characters; Ashley, Skull Kid, Waluigi, Dillon, Nabbit etc. Why tease such a huge portion of the fanbase only to disappoint them leading into the launch of the game? And I'm saying this as someone who has absolutely no fondness for the Ridley character, or the Metroid series at all.

I think the first scenario above is more likely, as we've always had secret/unlockable newcomers. I don't see why that'd change now.
Basically, Ridley is a boss on Pyrosphere, but they're trying to keep people still speculating in order to keep the hype up. They're basically leaving details ambigous on purpose so that the torment will continue until the games are finally released.

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide

Well, more like 23 hours and 42 minutes but we all can't be winners.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Basically, Ridley is a boss on Pyrosphere, but they're trying to keep people still speculating in order to keep the hype up. They're basically leaving details ambigous on purpose so that the torment will continue until the games are finally released.
So basically, sadism?

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Sakurai probably would've told us by now if Ridley truly is a stage hazard. But even then, because Other M Ridley is a completely different entity from the Ridley who murdered Samus's parents, this does mean that playable Ridley can't be ruled out right now.

On a side note, classic Donkey Kong was 75m's stage hazard, and yet the modern Donkey Kong was playable in Brawl.
I still sorta expect Ridley to be playable. Of course, I will worry until the truth is out. I will accept whatever fate Ridley has. I've enjoyed Smash without him, and I will continue to do so. If he is in, which a lot of things Points to, then yay. ^^

But on topic. I do Think that this reveal will be Shulk, OR Ridley. Mostly Shulk. But this IS Sakurai. It'll probably be Pittoo. :p

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
I don't get this logic. Surely this would just make fans more frustrated when the games are released?

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
PREDICTION TIME

1. Shulk
  2. Ridley
  3. K. Rool
These are who I think are likely, although Ridley absolutely blows the other two out of the water in want.

Doompatron3000

Smash Journeyman
If Chorus Men get announced, I think that would make the leak 100% confirmed. Getting two very obscure characters right seems legit.

FirstaLasto

Smash Cadet
In regards to shulk in your argument you say that since the company was bought by nintendo and didnt start with them his does not feel like a nintendo character. I would like to point out then that game freak was not originally part of nintendo ether does that make pokemon not fit for smash?
You do have a point. But Game Freak has been making games for Nintendo for a long time (something like 70%+ of their games are Nintendo games, and many of the ones that arent were still made for their systems), as well as their first game being on a Nintendo system (part of why MegaMan feels so fitting as a third party, for example). In addition, "A majority of Monolith Soft's staff are former employees of Square Co., who transferred to the new company shortly after the creation of Chrono Cross.", hence the square-enix-y feel of their games. The Xeno series in particular was exclusively Sony prior to Xenoblade Wii (not counting the DS remakes), while conversely, Pokémon has been exclusively for Nintendo systems it's entire life-span.

Either way, the whole Shulk thing is pretty much entirely my own feels and I don't expect to make any sort of convincing argument against him with it.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Like I've mentioned already, there are two Ridley incarnations, much like how Brawl had two Donkey Kong incarnations. If Other M Ridley is the stage hazard, there will still be light for the Super Metroid Ridley to get the playable shot.

You do have a point. But Game Freak has been making games for Nintendo for a long time (something like 70%+ of their games are Nintendo games, and many of the ones that arent were still made for their systems), as well as their first game being on a Nintendo system (part of why MegaMan feels so fitting as a third party, for example). In addition, "A majority of Monolith Soft's staff are former employees of Square Co., who transferred to the new company shortly after the creation of Chrono Cross.", hence the square-enix-y feel of their games. The Xeno series in particular was exclusively Sony prior to Xenoblade Wii (not counting the DS remakes), while conversely, Pokémon has been exclusively for Nintendo systems it's entire life-span.

Either way, the whole Shulk thing is pretty much entirely my own feels and I don't expect to make any sort of convincing argument against him with it.
I think it's because you look at the Xeno games as a whole when considering Shulk.

Xenoblade is pure Nintendo, and it's the only game Shulk shows up in. The game wasn't even meant to have the Xeno name to begin with. It was only called Xenoblade in honor of the company's past games. Every Monolith Soft game from here on out is going to be Nintendo's to keep, and Shulk is just the start of it.

Kirby98

Smash Cadet
PREDICTION TIME

1. Shulk
  2. Ridley
  3. K. Rool
These are who I think are likely, although Ridley absolutely blows the other two out of the water in want.
I have very strong doubts for Ridley and Shulk. First of all why would Ridley be in it if he already appeared as a stage hazard? And as for Shulk, there is not enough room for more then 4 3rd party characters, sorry about that! lol.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Like I've mentioned already, there are two Ridley incarnations, much like how Brawl had two Donkey Kong incarnations. If Other M Ridley is the stage hazard, there will still be light for the Super Metroid Ridley to get the playable shot.
And this is actually a really good way of putting it considering both examples are two totally different characters being on the screen at the same time.

Original Donkey Kong is Cranky Kong.

Stage Hazard Ridley would be Other M Ridley. Playable Ridley would be the evil **** who killed Samus parents.

Last edited:

KawaiiPiranha

Smash Journeyman
I have very strong doubts for Ridley and Shulk. First of all why would Ridley be in it if he already appeared as a stage hazard? And as for Shulk, there is not enough room for more then 4 3rd party characters, sorry about that! lol.
Shulk is not a third party character.

As for my predictions, there isn't a doubt in my mind about Shulk. It'll definitely be him tomorrow. I don't WANT it to be him, but it's going to be.

Shulk is first party. Monolith Soft is totally owned by Nintendo.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
The amount of hype that Shulk would give me is ~0 in total, so I'm kind of hoping it's not him.

I'm expecting him to be in the game and all that, but as I said before I just really want this to be a Rosalina situation where Sal didn't predict it if for no other reason than stopping the "gematsu is all there is" thought process.

Like, even a character I wouldn't care for that isn't in the leak would be better suited to tomorrow imo

Lozjam

Smash Champion
I've always felt that he was second party.
It's a lot like smash 4, the I.P. is owned by Nintendo, but Namco made is making the game. Though Monolith is looking to be more first party, heck, their studio in Kyoto is probably aiding the development of Zelda Wii U.

It's a lot like smash 4, the I.P. is owned by Nintendo, but Namco made is making the game. Though Monolith is looking to be more first party, heck, their studio in Kyoto is probably aiding the development of Zelda Wii U.
They do help out with a lot of games, and it's very likely that's the case too. The Zelda team didn't just suddenly become good at making their own open world games.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
There are also two(well... three) incarnations of Toon Link, but it looks like sakurai didn't get that memo, did he?

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Even if it is not the "main subject", I'd like to know how many newcomers do you think we already have ; 9 or 11 ? Since some of you counted the Pkmn trainer as 3, do you count Miis as three too, since it's three different gameplays the same way Ivy Squi and Char were different ?
If so, Gematsu being real, we end with 14 newcomers. Sakurai says there are 39 characters in brawl, so basically there were 18 newcomers. He stated previously there wouldn't be the same amount of newcomers as before. Even if his mind may change, it's possible we will get at most 17 newcomers, Miis counting as three (even if on the website there is only one slot, it was the same for the PKMN trainer, that Sakurai counted as three).
3 newcomers with videos seems to be a good amount. Maybe 3 unlockables newcomers left then ? With the Kremlings, I'd go with K. Rool. Ridley hinted ? Add Ridley ! Dark Pit hinted at the end of Palutena trailer ? Add him too ! Here we go from 39 to 53 (39 + Mewtwo = 40 - Ivy Squi Snake Lucas = 36 + 17 newcomers =53)

Last edited:

Doompatron3000

Smash Journeyman
Camelot and Game Freak are both Nintendo, they are just different studios. Much like EAD( Makes 3d mario games), and HAL are different studios.
Actually Game Freak is independent, it's just be awhile since their last non Nintendo game. (Last one was in 1999 on the PlayStation)

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627
Shulk, Chrom and Chorus Men are in as far as I care, therefore I want it to be somebody that catches us completely off-guard.

I think prime candidate for that is K. Rool, so I'm gonna' vote for him.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Tomorrow morning can't come soon enough. :(
You know, the head of Nether Realm revealed Raiden for MK 10 after the Injustice finals yesterday at EVO. Perhaps the reason we're getting this random-ass trailer without a Direct or event to go with it...

...is because Nintendo's going to reveal the character today after Melee finals, on the main stage, like Neversoft did?

Stranger things have happened. After all, we never expected Nintendo to be an official EVO sponsor, and now they are. Maybe they snuck a rep out to Vegas. It's at least possible you won't have to wait until tomorrow.

(edited because I'm a doof)

Last edited:

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
Camelot and Game Freak are both Nintendo, they are just different studios. Much like EAD( Makes 3d mario games), and HAL are different studios.
camalot is not owned by nintendo

You know, the head of Neversoft revealed Raiden for MK 10 after the Injustice finals yesterday at EVO. Perhaps the reason we're getting this random-*** trailer without a Direct or event to go with it...

...is because Nintendo's going to reveal the character today after Melee finals, on the main stage, like Neversoft did?

Stranger things have happened. After all, we never expected Nintendo to be an official EVO sponsor, and now they are. Maybe they snuck a rep out to Vegas. It's at least possible you won't have to wait until tomorrow.
its nether relm btw, you might be thinking a neversoft since they just closed down this month lol

I thought Nintendo only partially owns both of them.
they are like insomniac were they have partnerships with nintendo to make certain games

Last edited:

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
This announcement really came out of nowhere!

3 minutes for a character reveal? This is going to be great!

I don't remember character reveals being so long and why the emphasis on the video's length? Could it be that we're getting multiple characters or perhaps a very hype worthy character?

Anyway, this is going to be a long weekend.
The very undeserving Palutena had a 3 minute trailer.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Disappointing a huge number of fans leading right into launch is the stupidest thing anyone could do. Especially as Nintendo has a lot riding on Smash Bros.

If Ridley truly was a stage hazard, and Sakurai said he was at the direct, then that would have been fine. That would have stopped all the teasing, and the leading along, and given everyone who wanted him enough time to get over it.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Game Freak is a second party if I remember correctly. Hence why they can make a lot more mobile games than a group like EAD.

StrangeTamer

Smash Cadet
I had a dream within a dream last night that Shulk and Snake were revealed together, it was pretty krazy but yeah I don't see that actually happening.

At this point I'm more curious about what the Chorus Men's trailer will be like. Probably something like stylishly beating everyone up as Remix 10 plays in the background? I'm so hyped to see their introduction
CHORUS MEN JOIN THE CHOIR!

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
in your opinion, i loved the trailer for palutena.
Trailer was Good and Character was good but she is very undeserving since she is only in 1 game and that 1 game is a quite new game.

Dracometeor

Smash Apprentice
Even if it is not the "main subject", I'd like to know how many newcomers do you think we already have ; 9 or 11 ? Since some of you counted the Pkmn trainer as 3, do you count Miis as three too, since it's three different gameplays the same way Ivy Squi and Char were different ?
If so, Gematsu being real, we end with 14 newcomers. Sakurai says there are 39 characters in brawl, so basically there were 18 newcomers. He stated previously there wouldn't be the same amount of newcomers as before. Even if his mind may change, it's possible we will get at most 17 newcomers, Miis counting as three (even if on the website there is only one slot, it was the same for the PKMN trainer, that Sakurai counted as three).
3 newcomers with videos seems to be a good amount. Maybe 3 unlockables newcomers left then ? With the Kremlings, I'd go with K. Rool. Ridley hinted ? Add Ridley ! Dark Pit hinted at the end of Palutena trailer ? Add him too ! Here we go from 39 to 53 (39 + Mewtwo = 40 - Ivy Squi Snake Lucas = 36 + 17 newcomers =53)
If Mii fighters count as three then so does Palutena.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Trailer was Good and Character was good but she is very undeserving since she is only in 1 game and that 1 game is a quite new game.
Rosalina says hello to Toad, Waluigi and co. :denzel:

If Mii fighters count as three then so does Palutena.
Nope, she only has 12 special moves, even if they are all different.
Mii gunner has 12 special moves.
Mii brawler has 12 special moves.
Mii swordfighter has 12 special moves.
Mario has 12 special moves.
Palutena has 12 special moves.
If Palutena counts as three, Miis count as nine. :bubblebobble:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom