• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character: Alice (Balloon Kid and Balloon Fight GB)

NukeA6

Smash Master
Alice before Balloon Fighter is like having May before Pokemon Trainer.

y3nia659

Smash Ace
oh that's ridiculous, Balloon Fighter has almost every detail to be a perfect AT....and Alice can come before him... just look at Lucas and even Ness.

Japan Only doesn't mean crap.

vesperview

Smash Hero
oh that's ridiculous, Balloon Fighter has almost every detail to be a perfect AT....and Alice can come before him... just look at Lucas and even Ness.

Japan Only doesn't mean crap.
Oh God, OMG! If you knew a thing, you would know that not even Ness is the first Earthbound character, so yeah, that's a bad example and Balloon Fighter is WAY more important than Alice, unlike Ness and Lucas, who are in the same league.

y3nia659

Smash Ace
yet Ness got in before Ninten in both games and Lucas replaced both in Brawl. >.>

it is possible Alice can be put in before Balloon Fighter, especially with her having much more stuff to add to Brawl compared to him.

vesperview

Smash Hero
yet Ness got in before Ninten in both games and Lucas replaced both in Brawl. >.>
Cause he was the current Earthbound character at the time, Sakurai wanted Lucas in Smash since the 64 days, but due to Earthbound 64's cancellation he had to include Ness.

it is possible Alice can be put in before Balloon Fighter, especially with her having much more stuff to add to Brawl compared to him.
What exactly can she add that he couldn't? Balloon Fighter is THE character of that series, not Alice.

y3nia659

Smash Ace
Balloon Fighter is not the character of the series, he's just the first one. He can be left aside especially when she can add so many more original details than he could ever. First off her game revamped the series, adding an actual plot.

Alice doesn't die when she lands on the ground
she doesn't look like any character
she would fit better in the adventure mode of Brawl
and add to the number of female representation

he can't do that, he doesn't even have a original look.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Alice is not Japan only.

Balloon Kid was released for the original GAME BOY system.

(The fact that it was REMADE for the GBC in Japan alone, is a different matter).

vesperview

Smash Hero
Balloon Fighter is not the character of the series, he's just the first one. He can be left aside especially when she can add so many more original details than he could ever. First off her game revamped the series, adding an actual plot.

Alice doesn't die when she lands on the ground
she doesn't look like any character
she would fit better in the adventure mode of Brawl
and add to the number of female representation

he can't do that, he doesn't even have a original look.
Then why isn't Alice the one that has a trophy in Melee? and why isn't Alice the one who is on the poll? Balloon Fighter has something Alice doesn't have, Retro status and Popularity, is not about what they add or their moves, otherwise most characters wouldn't appear in the game.

y3nia659

Smash Ace
having a trophy in Melee doesn't confirm them in Brawl. If it does then why did Dixie have one and not Diddy, yet Diddy is in Brawl.

Sakurai also said he won't accept all the characters in the polls, and I checked and didn't see him I'll check again...and she's pretty retro actually, she appeared in the first gameboy system. and im sure popularity should matter much.

vesperview

Smash Hero
having a trophy in Melee doesn't confirm them in Brawl. If it does then why did Dixie have one and not Diddy, yet Diddy is in Brawl.

Sakurai also said he won't accept all the characters in the polls, and I checked and didn't see him I'll check again...and she's pretty retro actually, she appeared in the first gameboy system. and im sure popularity should matter much.
I didn't say a trophy confirmed them, but if Alice is really THAT popular, why isn't she the one with the trophy and NO, a first gen gameboy game is not retro is not even early 80's

y3nia659

Smash Ace
a trophy doesn't necessarily mean they're popular, Diddy didn't have a trophy and he's in Brawl... and even then popularity itself doesn't attract Sakurai much.

vesperview

Smash Hero
a trophy doesn't necessarily mean they're popular, Diddy didn't have a trophy and he's in Brawl... and even then popularity itself doesn't attract Sakurai much.
Who the hell said that Sakurai is not attracted by popularity? Balloon Fighter is an option because he is a retro character like Pit and Ice Climbers, something Alice is not, and he is the one that was going to be in Melee but got replaced by Ice Climbers, not Alice, that pretty much answers your question.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
It's so hard to remind everyone that Sakurai doesn't consider Popularity that much (or at least, not for everyone)

And is Balloon Fighter really that important to focus popularity on? He's pretty obscure already.. making him his trophy version wouldn't change much anyway...

We could always hope for Alt. Costumes as well... And having Alice with the traditional Balloon Fighter outfit would be the perfect fan-service for all Balloon Fight fans.

vesperview

Smash Hero
^^^Agree

It's so hard to remind everyone that Sakurai doesn't consider Popularity that much (or at least, not for everyone)

And is Balloon Fighter really that important to focus popularity on? He's pretty obscure already.. making him his trophy version wouldn't change much anyway...

We could always hope for Alt. Costumes as well... And having Alice with the traditional Balloon Fighter outfit would be the perfect fan-service for all Balloon Fight fans.
Oh and Alice isn't obscure? lol, good one.

y3nia659

Smash Ace
there's plenty of rumors saying so-and-so were meant for Melee, etc.

and for your first question; look at some of the AT's, and look at Toad.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Balloon Fighter is an icon to Balloon Fight. Alice is more obscure than most of the characters in all of parrothead's threads. Balloon Fight is a classic that has been re-released while the GB version is long forgotten.

y3nia659

Smash Ace
Alice is important, her game actually added more details than his games...

forgotten or not didn't held G&W back.

vesperview

Smash Hero

Are you all about comparisons that make no sense whatsoever? Game and Watch was a revolutionary Nintendo character, he is Nintendo's first videogame character, how can you compare that to Alice? it's ridiculous and NukeA6 said it pretty well.

NukeA6

Smash Master

The Game and Watch series have been revived countless times and even had remakes starring Mario characters.

Alice isn't important because the latest Balloon Fight game released was the classic NES game on Virtual Console. Where's the GB version? It's nowhere to be seen.

y3nia659

Smash Ace
that doesn't necessarily mean he's more important, pretty much he's a generic character.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Wonder why vesperview's so angry. :p

This is a mere support thread.

It's not like WE'RE deciding who gets in or not. XD
We're doing what we're supposed to be doing in this thread.

And he obviously didn't get what I was trying to say.

In short: Balloon Fighter, being as obscure as he is, wouldn't hurt to make him a tad more obscure.

I'll put it this way... Balloon Kid >>>>>>>>> Balloon Fight by MILES.

I support Crono, does that mean he has high chances? No. Compared to Chocobo, the Square mascot, he stands virtually no chance, yet I still support him.

Same goes for Alice. I only support those who NEED support. :p

I'll NEVER ever support the likes of Krystal, Bowser Jr. Jeff, Poo, Black Shadow, King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Waluigi, and the whole list of uber popular characters who don't really need to shine anymore. (Thank God the ATs exist to keep most of them at bay, even if some sacrifices are made)

vesperview

Smash Hero
In short: Balloon Fighter, being as obscure as he is, wouldn't hurt to make him a tad more obscure.
And the reason to that is?

I'll put it this way... Balloon Kid<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Balloon Fight by MILES.
Fixed.

I support Crono, does that mean he has high chances? No. Compared to Chocobo, the Square mascot, he stands virtually no chance, yet I still support him.
Crono has more chance than a generic Chocobo, what the hell are you thinking?

I'll NEVER ever support the likes of Krystal, Bowser Jr. Jeff, Poo, Black Shadow, King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Waluigi, and the whole list of uber popular characters who don't really need to shine anymore. (Thank God the ATs exist to put most of them at bay, even if some sacrifices are made)
That's a terrible reason to support any character.

y3nia659

Smash Ace
it's not ridiculous, it's personal opinion.

I'd prefer obscure characters over some popular ones...some of the popular characters are very unoriginal.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinhed-echi View Post
And the reason to that is?

Quote:
I'll put it this way... Balloon Kid<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Balloon Fight by MILES.
Fixed.

Quote:
Crono has more chance than a generic Chocobo, what the hell are you thinking?

Quote:

I'll NEVER ever support the likes of Krystal, Bowser Jr. Jeff, Poo, Black Shadow, King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Waluigi, and the whole list of uber popular characters who don't really need to shine anymore. (Thank God the ATs exist to put most of them at bay, even if some sacrifices are made)
That's a terrible reason to support any character.

</vesperview rant>

You've obviously never EVER played Balloon Kid. XD It's noticeable how you don't know what you're talking about.

Balloon Kid, literally OWNS Ballon Fight. How? Simple, Balloon Fight is integrated into the game.

"HUH!? Balloon Fight integrated into a GAME BOY GAME!!?"
Yeah, that's right. Pretty advanced for it's time, right? And it's also capable of multiplayer function, and even has the "Balloon Trip" mode from the original BF.

So Balloon Kid OWNS Balloon Fight in EVERY aspect. Sorry, but it is the truth. :)

--

Regarding the Crono issue. "Generic bird"? You've obviously never heard of "Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon". Those were two games back in the Play Station, but guess what.. There's a NEW Chocobo's Dungeon coming for the WII. And there's also Chocobo Tales for the DS... even IGN considered the Chocobo a possible candidate, and I can clearly see why!!

Now, do I want him? Heck no... but he IS the most probable reason. Chocobo is to Square, what Sonic is to SEGA. Crono getting over Chocobo, unfortunatley, would be like NiGHTS getting in over Sonic.

BTW, the generic bird has appeared in more games than any other Square character.

NukeA6

Smash Master
The Square mascot is the Black Mage.

that doesn't necessarily mean he's more important, pretty much he's a generic character.
There wouldn't be no Gameboy (or Alice) if it wasn't for Game and Watch. Mr. G&W is there to rep the father of handheld LCD consoles. That is lot more importance than the GB Balloon Fight a.k.a Balloon Kid.

Generic? Who else is gonna rep the Game and Watch? BTW, the Pokemon Trainer is waving at you.

vesperview

Smash Hero
You've obviously never EVER played Balloon Kid. XD It's noticeable how you don't know what you're talking about.

Balloon Kid, literally OWNS Ballon Fight. How? Simple, Balloon Fight is integrated into the game.

"HUH!? Balloon Fight integrated into a GAME BOY GAME!!?"
Yeah, that's right. Pretty advanced for it's time, right? And it's also capable of multiplayer function, and even has the "Balloon Trip" mode from the original BF.

So Balloon Kid OWNS Balloon Fight in EVERY aspect. Sorry, but it is the truth. :)
That still doesn't state how Alice is more deserving or even more popular than Balloon Fighter, her game is remembered by NOONE, Balloon Fight is in the Virtual Console, now where is Balloon Kid? NOWHERE.

Regarding the Crono issue. "Generic bird"? You've obviously never heard of "Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon". Those were two games back in the Play Station, but guess what.. There's a NEW Chocobo's Dungeon coming for the WII. And there's also Chocobo Tales for the DS... even IGN considered the Chocobo a possible candidate, and I can clearly see why!!

Now, do I want him? Heck no... but he IS the most probable reason. Chocobo is to Square, what Sonic is to SEGA. Crono getting over Chocobo, unfortunatley, would be like NiGHTS getting in over Sonic.

BTW, the generic bird has appeared in more games than any other Square character.
Ever heard of Moogles? and NO, Chocobo's are not the ones with the most chance, even Sora has more chance than a Chocobo.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
^^^^

Forget Alice. XD Your comments on Chocobo are quite amusing... You people underestimate the yellow bird.

Moogles you say?

Then why don't you name ONE game starred by moogles, ok?

... do I hear... NONE?

Want me to list how many games featuring Chocobo exist? (and I mean outside the Final Fantasy realm)

From mobile phone games, to Tamagotchi games, to DS games, to PLay Station RPGs and racing games, Wii games, japan only game boy advanced games... the list goes on.. and on... Perhaps I shoild direct you to a little link with a through investigation on Chocobo I made myself, but I doubt you'll take the time to read it. :p

Black Mage mascot of Square Enix? I'm sorry to tell you this, but that's something that its fans convinced themselves of. Do I see giant Black Mages hanging from the ceiling at the Games convention over Square-Enix's booth??

No. I see a Slime (for Enix's Dragon Quest) and *GASP* CHOCOBO for Square's Final Fantasy!

Black Mage has NEVER had a game of his own. Neither has Moogle. They don't stand a chance against Chocobo. Black Mage had 1/6 th of importance in FF1, and was named Vivi in FFIX.

The cameo appearances from 3on3 hoops use the art from.... where again?

You got it right again.. Chocobo TALES and the Chocobo Franchise as a whole.

And one more thing... Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2.... what was that other part?? Chocobo something... I don't remember... oh well... I'll leave YOU to find that out. ;)

(thanks a lot.. now I feel Crono's chances even dimmer...) -_-

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Heh... Whatever. :)

They'll be making a Virtual Console-like system for the DS soon, and you'll be able to download GB games. So this little point in favor you have right now, will be short lived once this plan begins to execute itself... But whatever. It's you who's missing on this great game anyway. :p Your loss.

parrothead

Smash Lord
Alice is like Little Mac. They both appeared in their own games of the series they are in that has a plot, they both aren't generic, and their titles don't require scoring points as much as beating the games.

Adding Balloon Fighter in SSBB would be just like adding Wire Boxer from the Punch-Out!! and Super Punch-Out!! arcades. They both don't have names. Even though, Balloon Fighter is like a superhero name or something like that, it's actually the name of his occupation. And the Wire Boxer isn't called "Challenger". In the Tingle RPG, there was a reference to the arcade Punch-Out!! titles, which had Tingle's name underneath the word, "Challenger". That means the challenger is Tingle, duh. Both the original Balloon Fight and the original Punch-Out!! arcades were about scoring points as high as possible, but today, most people are bored of scoring points, because you don't get a surprise. Scoring points could lead to this kind of conversation:

Drawings by ericmansuper from YouTube. Animated GIF by me.

Mega Man 1 for the NES had a scoring points system, but then it wasn't used in later original Mega Man titles, excluding spin-offs like Mega Man Soccer and Rockboard, because it's boring.

Many original Game Boy titles didn't seem to catch much attention, because most people prefer to play home console games, mainly because of the high-quality graphics and sound. Gameplay is more important. Without it, it would be just like watching a movie or video. Some people call the Game Boy, the "Lame Boy". Several Game Boy titles are like better versions of the NES titles. For some examples:

Solomon's Club >>> Soloman's Key

Burgertime Deluxe >>> Burgertime NES

Rockman World / Mega Man GB series >>> the NES Rockman/Mega Man series

Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters >>> The NES and Famicom Disk System version of Kid Icarus

AND

Balloon Kid / Balloon Fight GB >>> NES and arcade Balloon Fight

Several original Game Boy titles also became overlooked, like Mole Mania, one of Shigeru Miyamoto's overlooked works. Some of the most popular original Game Boy titles are Zelda: Link's Awakening, Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow/Green, Tetris 1, Metroid II: Return of Samus, Final Fantasy Legend I, II, and III, Final Fantasy Adventure, Tamagochi, Super Mario Land 1, 2, and 3 (Wario Land 1), and Dr. Mario.

I understand why Alice has a very small chance at appearing in SSBB. Everytime I look at Balloon Fighter, he makes me picture the faces of Baby Mario and Baby Luigi. The way he dresses is similar to the way Lode Runner, Spelunker and even Mario dresses. Boy's who like fictional, cute female characters aren't gay. Sailor Moon, Tokyo Mew Mew (known as Mew Mew Power), and Azumanga Daioh! are filled with many girls, and boys like those shows.

I bet Sakurai doesn't want to add any young girl as a playable character.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Ah, ,good timing.

You just put the last nail on his coffin.

Funny to meet you here too PH. :p XD

Anyway, I always thought it'd be nice for Alice to use those Lightbulbs in her moveset. You know, the ones from the final level that shock you. :D

I love the art of Alice you put there. ^^ is it Deviantart? Or original art? (3rd is definitely original)

Top Bottom