• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character: Alice (Balloon Kid and Balloon Fight GB)

parrothead

Smash Lord

Name: Alice
First Game Appearance: Balloon Kid (also appeared in Balloon Fight GB only in Japan)
Platform: Original Game Boy (Game Boy Color for Balloon Fight GB in Japan)

SPECIAL MOVES:

B: Water Balloon (She throws water balloons at her opponents, which gives them a small amount of damage. The range is about as half as long as Adult Link's Boomerang, it's splash can damage anyone close by)

Forward + B: Balloon Whoosh (Pumps a large balloon for about 1 second, then sends it flying straight toward an opponent, and blows up)

Down + B: Detach / Pump (Alice detaches her balloons, while she'll fall down on an opponent. If she hits one, she'll bounce back up to her balloons and retach herself. If she misses an opponent, her balloons would fly away, and you'll have to use Down + B to make her pump up one or two more balloons.)

Up + B: Balloon Spin (spins up in the air like this YTMND fad)

Super Smash Move: Balloon Fighters Galore (Alice will call a bunch of Balloon Fighters to attack her opponent(s), just like battling against the Fighting Polygon Team, the Fighting Wire Frames, and this MUGEN battle)

Taunt: Covers her mouth with one hand while she giggles like Shirley Temple.

Entrance: Pumps her balloons up.

I know Balloon Fighter is more familiar to people than Alice, but the Balloon Fighter's name is unknown according to the trophy description. Even though it sounds like a super-hero name, it's actually his occupation. Also, there is actually more than one Balloon Fighter, because of Balloon Fight's 2P mode.

Alice is a better choice in my opinion, because the titles she appeared in have a storyline, and she is a Balloon Fighter that has a name and a personality. Also, the SSB series lacks playable young female characters.

Here are videos of Balloon Kid and Balloon Fight GB being played at the beginning:

Balloon Kid

Balloon Fight GB

Tomasiarity

Smash Journeyman
Parrothead, you are posting the best ideas I've heard in a while. Alice has a lot more personality than the helmet boy (Ballon Fighter). If you continue like this, you will be getting +rep from me.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Alice, Balloon Fighter, and there was also Balloon Man for the Game and Watch version :p

Parrot, you get a triple A+ for rep, if I could do that ^.^;;

parrothead

Smash Lord
FlipTroopa said:
Alice, Balloon Fighter, and there was also Balloon Man for the Game and Watch version :p

Parrot, you get a triple A+ for rep, if I could do that ^.^;;
But he said that he is actually "a Balloon Man".

parrothead

Smash Lord
FlipTroopa said:
Did he? Well, he's still a different character, with that crazy jetpack set up :p
That reminds me of that G&W title called Climber, which is almost exactly like Ice Climber, but it does not take place in Icicle Mountain. The protagonist, Climber, jumps like Mario. Also, when he climbs to the top, he must grab onto the Condor's legs to fly off. Sometimes he fights a dragon by stabbing it with a sword.

Climber can be unlocked in Game & Watch Gallery 4.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Yeah, they had a lot of bizarre Game and Watch "cousins" to their classic NES/Arcade titles. Ever play the G&W Zelda or DK Jr. games?

parrothead

Smash Lord
FlipTroopa said:
Yeah, they had a lot of bizarre Game and Watch "cousins" to their classic NES/Arcade titles. Ever play the G&W Zelda or DK Jr. games?
I have played Zelda and DK JR. in the Game & Watch Gallery series, they were pretty fun.

The only real Game & Watch handheld I've played was Super Mario Bros. Wide Screen.

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
ok, i'd take her over the balloon fighter only because she's a chick and we could use more chicks. otherwise, i'd stay with the classic BF.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
parrothead said:
I have played Zelda and DK JR. in the Game & Watch Gallery series, they were pretty fun.

The only real Game & Watch handheld I've played was Super Mario Bros. Wide Screen.
In the mid 90s Nintendo rereleased a lot of their more popular G&W games, and I remember a few kids picking them up. They only did the really well-known ones, like DK Jr. and Greenhouse.

When I was younger, I always wanted a G&W, but could never get one because my parents figured my NES was enough. So I would always sulk and beg to see/play other kids' Game and Watches when they had them. I remember one kid had Zelda on a wristwatch; that was so cool.

parrothead

Smash Lord
FlipTroopa said:
In the mid 90s Nintendo rereleased a lot of their more popular G&W games, and I remember a few kids picking them up. They only did the really well-known ones, like DK Jr. and Greenhouse.

When I was younger, I always wanted a G&W, but could never get one because my parents figured my NES was enough. So I would always sulk and beg to see/play other kids' Game and Watches when they had them. I remember one kid had Zelda on a wristwatch; that was so cool.
But that was developed by Nelsonic (or Nel-Sonic), who also developed the Star Fox wristwatch. That Star Fox wristwatch played the original Star Fox theme by Hajime Hirasawa, which I enjoy better than the theme played in later Star Fox titles.

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
fluffy said:
alice looks like a hoe.
You know, I DO see some resemblance

Unless you mean ho, in which case she's like Four Years Old! Now, I don't know the average age of prostitutes in your country, but where I come from, Girls don't start selling their bodies till at least the ripe age of eleven.

fluffy

Smash Champion
well i come from a place called brooklyn, new york. a lot of wrong things happen all the time.

Kirby PopStar

Smash Cadet
Wow. I'm completely shocked. If nobody else suggested Alice, I was going to. I think Alice would make an excellent character, if not a great trophy.

The game she's from does indeed have a story; she sets out to rescue her brother. Balloon Fight GB is a lot of fun, and this would be a really cool nod to a great (and mostly overlooked) game. Kudos to you, parrothead, for suggesting the great obscure characters I've got on my mind.

----

Support Lolo & Lala in SSBB!

Baron_54

Smash Apprentice
fluffy said:
well i come from a place called brooklyn, new york. a lot of wrong things happen all the time.
You don't like brooklyn? GUYS, HE'S A TERRIST!

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Balloon Fighter was apparently in the beta of Melee, and Sakurai likes him a lot, so who knows who he'd end up picking in the end :p

In my mind, I always pictured BF as the fighter, and Alice as either a clone or really weird costume choice ("OMG! Balloon Fighter's a crossdresser!" XD)

parrothead

Smash Lord
FlipTroopa said:
Balloon Fighter was apparently in the beta of Melee, and Sakurai likes him a lot, so who knows who he'd end up picking in the end :p

In my mind, I always pictured BF as the fighter, and Alice as either a clone or really weird costume choice ("OMG! Balloon Fighter's a crossdresser!" XD)
Everytime a new title to a (video game, movie, book, cartoon, etc.) series is made, many people say things like "The original is better". For some examples:

1987 TMNT > 2003 TMNT > The Next Mutation (mid-90s)

80s Transformers > Every other Transformers shows

Fox Kids X-MEN > Every X-MEN movie and X-MEN: Evolution (Kids WB)

Some new titles have beaten originals, like:

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! > Every other Punch-Out!! title (including Mr. Dream and Game & Watch Punch-Out!!)

Batman: The Animated Series (Fox Kids) > Every other Batman movie, show, and cartoon

Star Fox 64 > Every other Star Fox title (including the cancelled Star Fox 2)

Super Mario World > Every other Mario title

Space Ghost: Coast to Coast > Cartoon Planet > original Space Ghost

AND

SSBM > SSB64

I didn't add SSBB, because I'm not so sure if it would be better than the previous SSB titles. All of these are not my opinions.

fluffy

Smash Champion
Baron_54 said:
You don't like brooklyn? GUYS, HE'S A TERRIST!
plz. stfu. i never said i didnt like brooklyn. plus, my dad used to work at the world trade center so i wouldnt be talking.

Eaode

Smash Champion
When you said the Down B you said she falls down. Does she jumps first? Or is she always floating on baloons? You should've mentioned something like that. If she was always floating, would'nt that make her near impossible to KO?

parrothead

Smash Lord
Eaode said:
When you said the Down B you said she falls down. Does she jumps first? Or is she always floating on baloons? You should've mentioned something like that. If she was always floating, would'nt that make her near impossible to KO?
I mean like in both Balloon Fight/Kid titles, when the balloons pop, Alice/a Balloon Fighter falls. I couldn't think of anything Down+B-like.

I guess even Alice and a Balloon Fighter counts as characters that could fly for long periods of time.

parrothead

Smash Lord
*BUMP*

I've added links to gameplay videos of Balloon Kid and Balloon Fight GB. They are on the first part of this thread.

Falco-Z

Smash Apprentice
Alice is a good idea, but I think the general Balloon fighter that was featured as a trophy in SSBM is more likely.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Generic Ballon Fighter over Alice? At least she's an actual character...

BTW I love the BGM for Balloon Kid/Balloon Fight GB - it's variation of the Ballon Fight main theme is far superior to the original.

parrothead

Smash Lord
The reason why I created the Alice thread, is because like most other characters, Sakurai is mostly going to add the most recent looks of the Nintendo protagonists. Also, if you play two player mode in Balloon Fight NES, then there would be two Balloon Fighters. It's not going to be another Mario & Luigi-like duo. Alice, unlike a Balloon Fighter, she has a name and personality. And the titles she appeared in have a plot and they also have the classic game mode, Balloon Trip, which plays that same Balloon Fight song. You can fight bosses in Balloon Kid and Balloon Fight GB, but not Balloon Fight arcade nor NES.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
The reason why I created the Alice thread, is because like most other characters, Sakurai is mostly going to add the most recent looks of the Nintendo protagonists. Also, if you play two player mode in Balloon Fight NES, then there would be two Balloon Fighters. It's not going to be another Mario & Luigi-like duo. Alice, unlike a Balloon Fighter, she has a name and personality. And the titles she appeared in have a plot and they also have the classic game mode, Balloon Trip, which plays that same Balloon Fight song. You can fight bosses in Balloon Kid and Balloon Fight GB, but not Balloon Fight arcade nor NES.
This is why I prefer Alice over the generic Balloon fighter, in addition to her having a better character design.

GenG

Smash Lord
Are you sure? The ol'goofy Balloon Fighter is better, more recognizable, and yet generic, but that's the way he is. Personality? Name? Most people screw that when it comes to retro characters.

"The ruler of the high altitudes. You have unlocked BALLOON FIGHTER!"

I, as a BF supporter, want the true BF. Alice is a character that Nintendo doesn't reckon right now. Just play most BF cameos (Tetris DS, Wario Wares...), all featured by the godly Balloon Fighter.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
I, as a BF supporter, want the true BF. Alice is a character that Nintendo doesn't reckon right now. Just play most BF cameos (Tetris DS, Wario Wares...), all featured by the godly Balloon Fighter.
"Godly" you say?! I can't see why anyone would be so enthusiastic for BF, but I guess everyone's entitled to their opinion... (And in my opinion, BF sucks...)

GenG

Smash Lord
Do you think that some generic eskimos sucks? Or a plain 2D guy? Or a PLUMBER? Retro designs have a special feeling and should remain like that.

I'm not that enthusiastic, but please, don't touch the classics. That's the reason why most classics revival are despised, they forget the main thing: The character.

parrothead

Smash Lord
Balloon Fight GB was released back in 2000, about 6 years ago. I'm sure Sakurai would change his mind on choosing Alice instead of a Balloon Fighter.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Dude, I was kiding around... no reason to flip out on me... Besides, I support the classics over all the other ideas on the SmashBoards. But there's something you seem to be missing: those "generic eskimos" have names (Popo and Nana), as does that 2D guy (Mr. Game & Watch) and that plumber (Mario). The Balloon Fighter, however, seems more an occupation of sorts than an actual character, therefore how can you forget the character in this instance when there isn't really one to begin with? I support Alice as she is a Balloon Fighter with a name and character. I guess I also get tee'd off that Balloon Fighter is suggested more often than more deserving retro characters like Bubbles, Mach Rider, Mike Jones, Takamaru, and even Little Mac himself... Sorry but recognisability is but one factor one needs to consider, and that's really all BF has...

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Dude, I was kiding around... no reason to flip out on me... Besides, I support the classics over all the other ideas on the SmashBoards. But there's something you seem to be missing: those "generic eskimos" have names (Popo and Nana), as does that 2D guy (Mr. Game & Watch) and that plumber (Mario). The Balloon Fighter, however, seems more an occupation of sorts than an actual character, therefore how can you forget the character in this instance when there isn't really one to begin with? I support Alice as she is a Balloon Fighter with a name and character. I guess I also get tee'd off that Balloon Fighter is suggested more often than more deserving retro characters like Bubbles, Mach Rider, Mike Jones, Takamaru, and even Little Mac himself... Sorry but recognisability is but one factor one needs to consider, and that's really all BF has...
While I agree with you, I just wanna point out that BF HAS appeared in a LOT of newer games lately. Balloon Fight is being thrown in with Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc. as one of the "lol retro" titles, as opposed to stuff like Kid Icarus or Punch-Out. So more people WOULD recognize the character, oddly enough.

Top Bottom