• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Challenger for Smash Bros Wii U/3DS To Be Announced July 14th

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Okay, also everyone saying "I hope it's someone we don't expect so the Gematsu leak is wrong" maybe next time don't follow the leaks so that you can be surprised or excited about who's announced instead of being down about already knowing the roster. You are your own worst enemy I think.
You know how much that has been mentioned/shoved down everyones throats? I don't think you can follow smash 4 news without seeing it discussed everywhere.

NNID
Majorasmask66
Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Anyone considered a possibility of Snake pulling a G&W at the end of the trailer?  

-
Now that I think about it, Shulk might not be too bad after all. I mean he IS a complete newcomer in pretty much every sense of the word.

Sen. Sawft

Professional Laundry Folder
NNID
Sawft
3DS FC
4940-6793-4197
inb4 Protoman announced and only 6 people and I on earth give any butts.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
*Holds out three straws, with one slightly sticking out more*

As much as I hate to say it, I'm not that hyped. I mean, it's 99% going to be one of the remaining Gematsu newcomers. Even more likely it's going to be Shulk.

Why doesn't Sakurai at least try to avert from the remaining Gematsu newcomers and reveal someone right out of left field? He MUST have knowledge of the leak at this point.

So yeah, I'm probably going to see who it is after work that day, not going to be in any rush though.

I hate the Gematsu leak. Hate. It.

KentAlamo

Smash Rookie
welp looks like its time to start speculating like crazy again....

I'll start with this one, " ya know guys if Sakurai is giving this reveal a whole live stream its got to to be a BIG announcement, like how much of a missed opportunity would this be if Sakurai didn't take advantage of this LARGE opportunity to reveal something truly MASSIVE".

I'll see myself out....
hahahahahahaha!!!

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
There are 3 months until release.
Maybe each month will have one of the Gematsu characters revealed.

One on Monday, one in an August Direct, and one right before release.

It makes so much sense.

This also supports the theory that the reason the leaker knows all this is because they will be revealed before release. This would be why he doesn't know any of the characters that would most likely be secret, like Ridley or K. Rool.

serazac25

Smash Rookie
I 'm guessing Chrom, with a trailer featuring Marth and Ike.

Either that or Shulk.

Drowzee64

Smash Cadet
NNID
drowzee64
3DS FC
2895-6543-6932
What sort of mom names their kid Shulk, anyways?

Part of me is hoping this is someone that Gematsu failed to mention.

Last edited:

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
Unfortunately I don't think Hades will be there, remember the Japenese Hobby Fair or whatever it was called? One of the pictures next to Palutena had what appeared to be Hades.
Those are in all the japanese stores. Im there on a holiday, I think I took a decent hd screenshot of it. If people want to I could post it.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
Since this is a 3 minute video, here's what I'm guessing:

Shulk is likely to be the reveal (since Monolift Soft quickly posted the news of the Monday reveal almost immediately after Sakurai posted it on Miiverse), followed by a few veteran reveals (the vets would be revealed 1st quickly showing off the changes made to them, hoping most of the vets are the returning villains such as Ganondorf, Wolf (I know he's not a villain, but he's close), Wario, & Mewtwo), before the actual reveal of the newcomer (Shulk could crash the villains' party), however if it's just the newcomer with 3 minutes to talk about the character, all I gotta say is it better be well worth the 2 day wait.

tbtechwiz

Smash Apprentice
we all know that the announcement will be BIG...a BIG dissappointment because it wont be an overated farfetched wish characteri will LAUGH so hard if its something random like monita or that furry bear thing from tropical freeze

and butts will be hurt

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Interesting. I really don’t want Shulk. We have enough swordsmen as it is. Also, isn’t Shulk 3rd party? That’s what I’ve always heard, but I could very well be wrong. If he is 3rd party, that’s a huge detractor, since we already have three 3rd party characters. But, Sakurai could have changed his mind, like with Villager and Ridley (we all know he’s gonna be in. Don’t fight it). Personally, I would hope for either Ridley, because that would be amazing, or Mewtwo. Mewtwo is my most wanted character for this game. And, yes, I know Mewtwo is a veteran, but he was out for one game, which, in Sakurai’s mind, could qualify him as a newcomer. But, since I kind of know it’s not Mewtwo because I don’t believe Sakurai or anyone else considers him a newcomer, the sort-of longshot character I want to be revealed is WONDER-RED!!! He’s my second most wanted character. Only Mewtwo beats him out. Or another Wonderful One. *Cough-Black-Cough*

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Please, oh please let it be Ghirahim. He's literally the only newcomer that I really, really want.
Or some vets as well, my comparison thread kind of died after Ike.
I actually have the exact same thoughts. But chances are, it's going to be Shulk. I'll still be waiting for Ghirahim though.

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
There are 3 months until release.
Maybe each month will have one of the Gematsu characters revealed.

One on Monday, one in an August Direct, and one right before release.

It makes so much sense.

This also supports the theory that the reason the leaker knows all this is because they will be revealed before release. This would be why he doesn't know any of the characters that would most likely be secret, like Ridley or K. Rool.
K.Rool or Krusha is a Smash Run Boss enemy:secretkpop:
And F-Zero X came out for N64 July 14th Falcon confirmed?

Interesting. I really don’t want Shulk. We have enough swordsmen as it is. Also, isn’t Shulk 3rd party? That’s what I’ve always heard, but I could very well be wrong. If he is 3rd party, that’s a huge detractor, since we already have three 3rd party characters. But, Sakurai could have changed his mind, like with Villager and Ridley (we all know he’s gonna be in. Don’t fight it). Personally, I would hope for either Ridley, because that would be amazing, or Mewtwo. Mewtwo is my most wanted character for this game. And, yes, I know Mewtwo is a veteran, but he was out for one game, which, in Sakurai’s mind, could qualify him as a newcomer. But, since I kind of know it’s not Mewtwo because I don’t believe Sakurai or anyone else considers him a newcomer, the sort-of longshot character I want to be revealed is WONDER-RED!!! He’s my second most wanted character. Only Mewtwo beats him out. Or another Wonderful One. *Cough-Black-Cough*
Ok first Shulk has something called arts Its a bit hard to explain if you have not played xenoblade but essentially Its as if a Sword Wielder from Fire Emblem can be every class in one Magic Healer Etc Etc 2 Shulk is 1ST Party 3 Wonder Red and the other Wonders are regular trophies:secretkpop:

Last edited by a moderator:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547

Shulk is first party. But the company that created him, Monolith Soft, used to be a 3rd party company until bought and integrated into Nintendo as a first party developer.

As for Monday....

I'm expecting Shulk; hoping for Ridley. But I highly doubt there will be an additional character I.e. A veteran. Charizard was revealed along with Greninja due to both being from Pokemon plus it was right after Sakurai revealed that there were no more transformation characters. Theoretically, Meta Knight could be revealed along with Shulk but, IMO, that doesn't make any sense as neither are connected and Meta Knight is a big name in Smash that really deserves his own spotlight.

Not to mention, 3 minutes is enough time for a newcomer trailer. Palutena's was 3 minutes and Rosalina was around 2:40.

I can think of a large purple reptilian space pirate who could definitely fit into that time frame.

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
Since I can't find the 3DS Stage Thread I need this Music on the Tomodachi Life stage! also as a person who has played the game I can identify that the interior is the Hobby One so I guess it will be like the Luigi's Mansion stage in Brawl but who knows at this point in time

Galespark

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Galespark
First, Shulk is 1st party, and he is unlike any other swordman in Smash.

Second, No, Ridley hasn't by any means been confirmed, and the chances of him being playable are pretty small, don't be delusional.

Third, Sakurai already showed Wonder Red as a regular trophy (Most likely The Wonderful 100 togheter are an Assist Trophy).

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Thinking purely in terms of business strategy and not necessarily what I want to see, it makes the most sense that Shulk is the one to be revealed.

-It would most logically be a follow-up advertisement for something revealed at E3, to help build hype for an upcoming game (point in case: Rosalina and Little Mac didn't receive this treatment, and neither of them have new games on the horizon).

-Following that logic, the franchises not already represented in Smash were Xenoblade, Bayonetta and Splatoon (am I missing one?)

-Splatoon girl is the least likely of the three. Smash has always only included characters from existing franchises. While it's possible to break from that tradition, it doesn't make business sense - nobody knows or relates well enough to Splatoon girl yet to want to get hyped up over a 3 minute reveal. There is currently no fan base to cater to.

-Of the three, I place Bayonetta in the middle. She doesn't fit Smash's theme at all (but as Snake has shown, that's not a reason for exclusion), but more importantly her trailer was the only one to include some adult language. It's really hard to see this very adult sex symbol placed in Smash. However, we did see her wearing Nintendo character costumes - specifically, costumes matching popular Smash Bros. characters. Was that a hint at something? (I doubt it, but hey, who knows?) I'm unaware of the size of Bayonetta's fan base, so I can't comment on it.

-That leaves Xenoblade X, which was arguably one of the most impressive trailers in Nintendo's lineup, a recent first-party acquisition, and carries the most fervent fan base of the three. Shulk is also a rather unique character with an interesting weapon - yeah, I hate seeing yet another swordsman (potentially two more if Chrom is one the way as well), but the Monado has some interesting tricks that could translate into some fun gameplay. However, it is worth noting that Shulk was not in the new Xenoblade X trailer.

Considering the way they're breaking tradition with this reveal, and video games have always been the tradition, it's clear to me that it is most definitely Goku being revealed. :upsidedown:

Last edited:

The Original Robot boy

Smash Champion
NNID
AzureXeire
3DS FC
0173-2317-7445
he doesn't have to be, there are plenty of weapons that pit doesn't use, and dark pit could even have a totally different style. If you say that dark pit would have to be a clone than you obviously haven't played kid icarus: uprising
So basically he's a clone of a character with different moveset? I call that the decapre method which means it's cammy but slightly different moves

Marthmario

Smash Lord
So basically he's a clone of a character with different moveset? I call that the decapre method which means it's cammy but slightly different moves
I don't think you can really apply that entirely to smash, because a character in smash has a lot more difference than just specials. Normals, aerials, throws and even movement, all of this can be differentiated if Sakurai choose to make Dark Pit a character, regardless it's his game. He'll make it as good as he can.

NNID
Majorasmask66
I don't think you can really apply that entirely to smash, because a character in smash has a lot more difference than just specials. Normals, aerials, throws and even movement, all of this can be differentiated if Sakurai choose to make Dark Pit a character, regardless it's his game. He'll make it as good as he can.
normals ariels specials and throws are in other fighting games too.

Top Bottom