• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[NEW AT VIDEO] Getting our hands on Smash4 build/demo [...]

UpsilonFox

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FLYINGDAVEno2
3DS FC
1134-7457-1617
I'm sorry, but what does SDI mean?
Here is a guide to SDI (Smash Directional Influence) aswell as regular DI and ASDI.

Cool to see SDI back, people whom had previously posted their impressions of Smash 4 all seemed to indicate it was gone.

Last edited:

ferioku

Smash Ace
Is it more or has Olimar gotten tiny as hell? He was the same height if not taller than Kirby in brawl! Also, could he pick up items in Brawl? O.O

Last edited:

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
Wow so SDI is in.

I guess you can get out of Rosalina's infinite then.

EDIT: Have you guys tried SDIing Kirby's dair? Word is you can't but just want to be sure.

Last edited:

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
Sorry about hijacking your video for a reddit/r/smashbros submission. But hey it's on the front page and generating all sorts of discussion so that's good, right?

Skull_Kid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sentenza_55
Sorry about hijacking your video for a reddit/r/smashbros submission. But hey it's on the front page and generating all sorts of discussion so that's good, right?
You know your video is interesting when people repost it on reddit!

edit: lol just noticed other people are reposting the other vids as well

Last edited:

Blackrider213

Smash Apprentice
So if SDI is in, how come it was not widely noticed before? Perhaps the way you SDI in Smash 4 is performed differently compared to the other past games?

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that just look like normal DI? It doesn't look the same as what SDI out of an attack would look like.

Regardless of what you call it, it's good that there will be some limited movement options for hits. It was too much before and it would be better than nothing at all.

Last edited:

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
I hope what we've seen of Kirby doesn't get nerfed, as this is still a demo and things can change. I think it's unlikely, since there's no real reason to, but I can only hope.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

I appreciate the footage you've brought thus far but with this constant "there's tons of undiscovered stuff soon to come!" and a real lack of notion as to when you'll actually give it to us you're starting to sound like post-e3 Zero with his "mystery" announcement. I would garner that most people here care not for the element of surprise and anything being spoiled when it comes to this stuff (game mechanics), we just want to know period, so if you have secret information or valuable finds just flippin' document it now so we can begin discussing it, because it seems the video uploads are taking a lifetime (in hype time measurement).

Last edited by a moderator:

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
I appreciate the footage you've brought thus far but with this constant "there's tons of undiscovered stuff soon to come!" and a real lack of notion as to when you'll actually give it to us you're starting to sound like post-e3 Zero with his "mystery" announcement. I would garner that most people here care not for the element of surprise and anything being spoiled when it comes to this stuff (game mechanics), we just want to know period, so if you have secret information or valuable finds just flippin' document it now so we can begin discussing it, because it seems the video uploads are taking a lifetime (in hype time measurement).
Like who cares. What ever they have left to reveal, if they do, isn't that big of a deal. It'll be interesting for a little bit and then we'll move on. So like just go do something else in the meanwhile. Go play Smash or something. Calm down and learn patience.

D

Deleted member 245254

Like who cares. What ever they have left to reveal, if they do, isn't that big of a deal. It'll be interesting for a little bit and then we'll move on. So like just go do something else in the meanwhile. Go play Smash or something. Calm down and learn patience.
Please don't talk to me like you know me.

- everyone you've probably ever spoken to on the internet.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

He was a bit rude about it but he has a point. Unlike Zero, at least this guy delivered and generated quite a bit of productive conversation.

Being that upset over his wording, especially when he's actually pulling through, is a bit much, I think. I'm not saying it's unreasonable to be upset at all, but I just think it was a bit much.

Last edited:

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
Thanks so much for what you're doing! It's seriously appreciated.
Now I can spend even more time analyzing footage to pass the time waiting for the game to release! :awesome:

Book Jacket

Smash Apprentice

He's got a point in that you're cracking down a hammer pretty hard pretty early. Skull_Kid lost some footage, that doesn't mean he's milking attention. Sh*t happens. Whatever your reasons, it's obvious that you're not an idiot, so we're just asking that you be a little more open to that possibility.

And he's delivered pretty well, with a combo video, a DI demonstration, and 3 1v1's. That's pretty great, and the most analyzable footage we've had since E3.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

He's got a point in that you're cracking down a hammer pretty hard pretty early. Skull_Kid lost some footage, that doesn't mean he's milking attention. Sh*t happens. Whatever your reasons, it's obvious that you're not an idiot, so we're just asking that you be a little more open to that possibility.

And he's delivered pretty well, with a combo video, a DI demonstration, and 3 1v1's. That's pretty great, and the most analyzable footage we've had since E3.
The point is, if you have information to share, share it. There's not much good in just not sharing it simply because you can.

The same as there's literally no point in sharing that you have information but cannot share the information itself.

I'm thankful they've chosen to bring content, but I'm just getting annoyed with the "I/We know things you don't yet!" mentality so many desire out of the release of Smash 4. That's why we have so many fake leaks, people vying for that feeling of being "in the know".

If I knew anything I thought anybody else didn't I'd be dumping it as immediately as I could on to my nearest public forum of choice, where as others seem to just relish in their profound undiscovered knowledge.

Hong

The Strongest
I agree with @Zipzo, but enough is enough. Your feedback for the OP has been conveyed, and I respect that. I just don't want the thread to become like, well, the aforementioned ZeRo thread.

@ Skull_Kid Skull_Kid
I've added your stuff to the video thread. I credited it under Smash Bros Italia, of course. Thanks for everything.

Skull_Kid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sentenza_55
Will there be anymore? :confused:
Yes, sorry if it's taking us time to upload the rest, we are having some trouble with the videos (as I said, 2 already got lost) there are a couple of "new" ATs videos we still need to upload

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that just look like normal DI? It doesn't look the same as what SDI out of an attack would look like.

Regardless of what you call it, it's good that there will be some limited movement options for hits. It was too much before and it would be better than nothing at all.
Somebody in our community already pointed that out, but we tried with "regular" DI and it did nothing unfortunately.

The point is, if you have information to share, share it. There's not much good in just not sharing it simply because you can.

The same as there's literally no point in sharing that you have information but cannot share the information itself.

I'm thankful they've chosen to bring content, but I'm just getting annoyed with the "I/We know things you don't yet!" mentality so many desire out of the release of Smash 4. That's why we have so many fake leaks, people vying for that feeling of being "in the know".

If I knew anything I thought anybody else didn't I'd be dumping it as immediately as I could on to my nearest public forum of choice, where as others seem to just relish in their profound undiscovered knowledge.
i've already explained further back why we are keeping things secret until the videos are up, in Italy the situation is delicate and complicated for smash right now. We NEED to be the first source of information here, and people from bigger web sites lurk around foreign boards and such seeking information. It already happened once with some Smash4 news and we lost A LOT of visibility from the Italian players (yes mostly random, but that's how you get people interested, with new content nobody else can offer). We simply don't want to risk it again.

it's not like we are keeping information to our selves, we are delivering every little detail we've learned playing the demo, and wouldn't have come here if not to share it all with you guys.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Yes, sorry if it's taking us time to upload the rest, we are having some trouble with the videos (as I said, 2 already got lost) there are a couple of "new" ATs videos we still need to upload
Were you able to do any analysis on Zelda? That was the very first request you had. Its the second post.

Skull_Kid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sentenza_55
Were you able to do any analysis on Zelda? That was the very first request you had. Its the second post.
I didn't handle the requests, i was able to play only a couple of hours cause of my work schedule.

Loci_AF on the other hand tried all the characters available plus some other stuff, we are currently writing a thread to answer most of the questions raised.

I know i keep asking everybody to be patient but we are only two people working on everything (vids, articles ecc) in our free time.

Edit: also, keep in mind that our community is pretty small compared to most of the others, so there's a lot of stuff on the shoulders of just a couple of players. We love Smash but it does not bring food on our table, so we do all we can in our spare time.

edit2:

I agree with @Zipzo, but enough is enough. Your feedback for the OP has been conveyed, and I respect that. I just don't want the thread to become like, well, the aforementioned ZeRo thread.

@ Skull_Kid Skull_Kid
I've added your stuff to the video thread. I credited it under Smash Bros Italia, of course. Thanks for everything.
Wow that's great! Just out of curiosity, what happened with Zero? I seem to have missed that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

I didn't handle the requests, i was able to play only a couple of hours cause of my work schedule.
A "couple of hours" is actually an insane amount of time given the amount the majority of folks probably had. In a couple of hours you'd easily have the time to play through the whole roster.

ferioku

Smash Ace
It's alright i just needed to know if you will be making any more vids =D

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
These are easily the best Smash 4 vids I've seen until now. @ Skull_Kid Skull_Kid , you said that the 2 most competitive videos were lost. Just out of curiosity, could you briefly describe the matches? (what characters, the flow of the match and the length of combos)

Also, nice catch on the SDI part. I was pretty sure I'd seen some myself in certain gameplay footage we got, but with so many sources saying it was gone, I didn't know what to believe. It's nice to have a confirmation. As most people were attempting it with the smart bombs, they probably were unable to SDI because of the SDI modifier they might have changed on the bomb.

Last edited:

Skull_Kid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sentenza_55
A "couple of hours" is actually an insane amount of time given the amount the majority of folks probably had. In a couple of hours you'd easily have the time to play through the whole roster.
A couple of hours is the amount of time i was present at the event, my bad for not being pin point accurate.

That being said:

We obviously were't the only people there playing and I spent a lot of time helping Loci recording the videos (you see, it's not like you get everything right at the first take).

I've made a promise on SmashBoards and did my best to bring video content and news to you guys. i could've played "splatoon" among many other games that caught my eye but instead ignored them and focused ALL my time on Smash to keep my word.

You don't have a clue of how the press event was, how many people were there, what permission we had to take from the staff in order to record the videos and how much time I really spent on the game...STILL, you judge our actions and post comments that honestly, to me (from the other side of the screen), feel a bit passive aggressive.

I really hope it's just a misjudgement of mine.

BUT, if that's the case, and the result of trying to help the community by providing new content is to be showered by unconstructive criticism by an army of "cptn. hindsights", I might as well forget about it and stop posting on smashboards.

Last edited:

Clavaat

Smash Cadet
Playing through the roster wasn't the only concern. Some of the new mechanics/ATs were some of the main focus.

Not to mention video editing comes with its fair share of problems:

-Lost footage
-Recording limitations
-Editing long recordings and picking out what was good/not good footage
-Rendering can take a long time, especially depending on your build and the quality of the video
-Writing up explanations
-Checking audio levels
-Making sure your content won't be stolen

This was also at a venue, as you can see from the videos, and some of the people who joined were using items and the like, which interrupts the flow of the match. This is especially true if you're trying to find specific mechanics. You need to test multiple times in order to make sure what you saw was not an outlier (ex. does SDI only work on light characters? Heavy? etc).

The information provided is incredibly interesting, and showcases many new changes we weren't able to see during the invitational because it was a grab for items and/or camping away from others in the FFA. They clearly made an effort here to ignore those kinds of things and focus on what was important.

They aren't "holding out" on you, these things just take time to get down. They have to make sure they don't spread false information.

Malex

Smash Apprentice
Wow that's great! Just out of curiosity, what happened with Zero? I seem to have missed that.
Basic rundown. Zero won the grand finals, rode the wave of interest/hype. Claimed he had an announcement to make that he would make in the immediate future that would "change the meta as we know it." Garnered much interest. "Immediate future" became "in the near future", he was waiting for authorization to announce from another party. Everyone assumed nintendo. "In the near future" became hours.... and hours... and hours.

"change the meta as we know it" became "change the scene."
Hours after nintendo was clearly the community assumption, he clarified it wasn't nintendo.
Then he said it would be months.

So, in the end, after making some large claims, he baited people for several hours and in the end it had absolutely nothing to do with smash 4 at all.

There have been other incidents in the same vein, but that was the highest profile. Perhaps Zipzo didn't read the thread and missed that the dead horse was already being beaten.

D

Deleted member 245254

A couple of hours is the amount of time i was present at the event, my bad for not being pin point accurate.

That being said:

We obviously were't the only people there playing and I spent a lot of time helping Loci recording the videos (you see, it's not like you get everything right at the first take).

I've made a promise on SmashBoards and did my best to bring video content and news to you guys. i could've played "splatoon" among many other games that caught my eye but instead ignored them and focused ALL my time on Smash to keep my word.

You don't have a clue of how the press event was, how many people were there, what permission we had to take from the staff in order to record the videos and how much time I really spent on the game...STILL, you judge our actions and post comments that honestly, to me (from the other side of the screen), feel a bit passive aggressive.

I really hope it's just a misjudgement of mine.

BUT, if that's the case, and the result of trying to help the community by providing new content is to be showered by unconstructive criticism by an army of "cptn. hindsights", I might as well forget about it and stop posting on smashboards.
Well...that's interesting because I could swear...oh here it is...

Fortunately we basically had the wiiu set ups all to our selves.
I guess I misinterpreted this statement.

Straight to the point, I just don't understand what is keeping you from putting your footage online. It's not a time-excessive endeavor, you don't even really need to monitor the process physically. If you don't know how to describe your "findings" in words or you're afraid of spreading misinformation, then just post the video and let us analyze it for you.

It's quite simple, just post what you got, and we'll all be better for it.

If you really wanted to play Splatoon I'm sure you would have, but you didn't. You played Smash, probably because you wanted to.

Basic rundown. Zero won the grand finals, rode the wave of interest/hype. Claimed he had an announcement to make that he would make in the immediate future that would "change the meta as we know it." Garnered much interest. "Immediate future" became "in the near future", he was waiting for authorization to announce from another party. Everyone assumed nintendo. "In the near future" became hours.... and hours... and hours.

"change the meta as we know it" became "change the scene."
Hours after nintendo was clearly the community assumption, he clarified it wasn't nintendo.
Then he said it would be months.

So, in the end, after making some large claims, he baited people for several hours and in the end it had absolutely nothing to do with smash 4 at all.

There have been other incidents in the same vein, but that was the highest profile. Perhaps Zipzo didn't read the thread and missed that the dead horse was already being beaten.
I was there, and to be honest I don't find that "horse" to be beaten, I still very much find Zero's flub to be recent news.

ferioku

Smash Ace
@Zipzo Some people in this forum seriously need to chill. Have patience, not everything will be served to you on a silver platter, honestly... He's provided us with videos so why are you still complaining? Just sit down and wait for the other videos -_-.

Skull_Kid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sentenza_55
It's alright i just needed to know if you will be making any more vids =D
Yes, unfortunately, given our work schedule and this being a video that we actually need to edit and explain how to perform the AT it might take some time for us to actually publish it.

Iit'll probably be up by monday though!

These are easily the best Smash 4 vids I've seen until now. @ Skull_Kid Skull_Kid , you said that the 2 most competitive videos were lost. Just out of curiosity, could you briefly describe the matches? (what characters, the flow of the match and the length of combos)

Also, nice catch on the SDI part. I was pretty sure I'd seen some myself in certain gameplay footage we got, but with so many sources saying it was gone, I didn't know what to believe. It's nice to have a confirmation. As most people were attempting it with the smart bombs, they probably were unable to SDI because of the SDI modifier they might have changed on the bomb.

The first was me using Marth vs Loci using Kirby, it was a great match cause i believe dash dancing (even though technically useless the way it is) might still have some purpose in this game. In this Match i also performed fox trot pretty easily (actually a lot of characters could) and a couple of combos (i believe stuff along the lines of ground canceled upairs to uptilt). it also showed that Marth still has the upper hand when it come to certain rivals (such as kirby) this is manly given by Marth's character design. We also showed some ledge play and discovered some odd stuff actually. For example: if you tried to quick ledge grab by performing a "half moon" the character would auto jump off the ledge (wtf!). It was probably a bug or something but who knows! If this aspect persists, the only way to perform a quick ledge grab will be by tilting the stick in the opposite direction at the right time. I honestly don't remember every detail.

The second match was me using ZZS, unfortunately i can't recall which character Loci was using as i played A LOT with ZSS. Even here i tried to play by dash dancing a little too excesiively. Still i remember pulling off some good stuff (like dsmash to fsmash combos, at any%). I didn't try to emulate the invitational players as i found that they rolled too much and tried to play as it was brawl/melee. This obviously happened to me too, you can't expect to try the new game for a short amount of time and already know all the techs and stuff; but I did my best to show that the game is actually pretty different from all the other entries in the series (at least this build). That is why this was my personal favorite, I actually felt like i was playing (a real early) Smash4 ZSS, i wasn't trying by all means to think at her as a Brawl character (which is my main smash game); it really felt like i was starting to "break it down". I'm obviously NOT implying that i broke down the game and don't pretend to be better of any of all the other players who tried the game, but that's how it started to feel like: a completely new game.

I guess I misinterpreted this statement.
Jesus do i really need to go down THAT MUCH into details when i write a post?

Yes, we had the set ups to our selves in the sense that there were no real lines to wait for, No time limit and such. Still, the staff didn't really like that we took so much time away from FFA games, cause we kept other people waiting for our recordings and 1v1s, so of course, we couldn't really say "no" when someone wanted to join in, it wasn't a press event set up just for us.

Straight to the point, I just don't understand what is keeping you from putting your footage online. It's not a time-excessive endeavor, you don't even really need to monitor the process physically. If you don't know how to describe your "findings" in words or you're afraid of spreading misinformation, then just post the video and let us analyze it for you.

It's quite simple, just post what you got, and we'll all be better for it.
AGAIN: Smash it's still a hobby, not our job (and we are only two people working on this). If we have trouble in our work/life schedule it's for a good damn reason. Example? I work miles from home and go back only 2 days a week if lucky, here were i live ATM i can only brows thanks to an internet key, how the hell am I supposed to upload stuff like this?

IS THIS how things need to be explained? do we really need to go into personal information for getting people to be patient about it? What we do is because we like it, not because we have some kind of obligation.

If you really wanted to play Splatoon I'm sure you would have, but you didn't. You played Smash, probably because you wanted to.
I sure cared more for smash, but playing other stuff wouldn't have hurt. Little time and a lot of things to do. Look at how you're reacting just because it's taking us time to upload a couple of vids. If we had less content what would have happend?

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Would you chill out? Go watch TV, hang out with some friends, volunteer in your community, save the multiverse.

He will post the videos. You wait, just like the rest of us who want to see the footage. Give the guy some space. You really don't have to make such a big deal out of this. Patience is key.

Just, get off his back.

Jesus do i really need to go down THAT MUCH into details when i write a post?

Yes, we had the set ups to our selves in the sense that there were no real lines to wait for, No time limit and such. Still, the staff didn't really like that we took so much time away from FFA games, cause we kept other people waiting for our recordings and 1v1s, so of course, we couldn't really say "no" when someone wanted to join in, it wasn't a press event set up just for us.

AGAIN: Smash it's still a hobby, not our job (and we are only two people working on this). If we have trouble in our work/life schedule it's for a good damn reason. Example? I work miles from home and go back only 2 days a week if lucky, here were i live ATM i can only brows thanks to an internet key, how the hell am I supposed to upload stuff like this?

IS THIS how things need to be explained? do we really need to go into personal information for getting people to be patient about it? What we do is because we like it, not because we have some kind of obligation.

I sure cared more for smash, but playing other stuff wouldn't have hurt. Little time and a lot of things to do. Look at how you're reacting just because it's taking us time to upload a couple of vids. If we had less content what would have happend?
Don't let this guy get you all worked up. He simply can't be patient. You'll post the videos on your own time, and that's fine.

D

Deleted member 245254

Would you chill out? Go watch TV, hang out with some friends, volunteer in your community, save the multiverse.

He will post the videos. You wait, just like the rest of us who want to see the footage. Give the guy some space. You really don't have to make such a big deal out of this. Patience is key.

Just, get off his back.
He is in Italy, I am in Japan. How much more space we talking? It's virtual words on an internet space.

And yeah, that explanation does put things in better perspective. I don't think that was too difficult.

Skull_Kid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sentenza_55
He is in Italy, I am in Japan. How much more space we talking? It's virtual words on an internet space.

And yeah, that explanation does put things in better perspective. I don't think that was too difficult.
Not all people want to disclose personal information on boards around the internet

edit: waiting without questioning everything ain't that difficult either

Last edited:

Clavaat

Smash Cadet
On topic:

Mario and Kirby seem to have new U-airs (the "flip kicks"...and I'm also guessing they are U-airs). The arc seems to go beyond a 180 degree angle. Were you able to tell if these moves were able to hit an opponent from behind? If so, this could lead to some interesting cross-ups/air combos.

Skull_Kid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sentenza_55
On topic:

Mario and Kirby seem to have new U-airs (the "flip kicks"...and I'm also guessing they are U-airs). The arc seems to go beyond a 180 degree angle. Were you able to tell if these moves were able to hit an opponent from behind? If so, this could lead to some interesting cross-ups/air combos.
I'll ask Loci about it!

I only played: ZSS. Marth, Samus, Greninja, Olimar, Little Mac (wiiu), Yoshi, Sheik (3ds)

D

Deleted member 245254

Not all people want to disclose personal information on boards around the internet

edit: waiting without questioning everything ain't that difficult either
Well, when you dangle a carrot on a stick are you surprised when the rabbit wants to take a bite?

Skull_Kid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sentenza_55
Well, when you dangle a carrot on a stick are you surprised when the rabbit wants to take a bite?
still we provided detailed content, we didn't keep it secret or anything. It just take us a lot of time processing the vids and stuff (in Italy internet connections are a bit "ancient")

Last edited:
Top Bottom