• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[NEW AT VIDEO] Getting our hands on Smash4 build/demo [...]

SKM_NeoN

Smash Journeyman
To answer other questions that I know the answers to, that spinning claw move in the air is Bowser's new nair, and that bounce from Samus's dair against a grounded opponent is exactly how hitting a grounded opponent worked in Brawl.
Bowser wasn't grounded, he hit Samus with an up air simultaneously.

Edit: actually it looked like a whirling fortress, but same difference.

Last edited:

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Not sure if anyone's said this yet, but if you can spam Random in the character selection screen and see if you can get Ganondorf like someone mentioned, that would be great! Lol. Half joking because I'm not sure on the credibility of the poster but you all know who I'm talking about (I forgot his username.)

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I was more taken by Kirby doing dtilt fsmash and it looking like a combo. If that's really a general combo, that is a powerful find for Kirby.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Interesting, every smash game has had in one form or another smash DI so now that it's been remove comboing things like Kirby and Fox dair into utilt is going to be insanely easy and for the most part inescapable.

Last edited:

Skull_Kid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sentenza_55
new 1v1:

Sentenza (Olimar) vs Loci_AF (Kirby)

unfortunately i have some bad news, a couple of videos got lost (and of course it had to be my favorites).

One was a marth vs kirby, the other a zamus vs i don't remember honestly.

I thought they were interesting cause i just looooove dash dancing and kept doing it in this 2 vids, in some cases (even though the characters stay still, it helped getting some moves in or confusing the adversary in general); plus they were the 2 best competitive vids we recorded so far.

Well that being said there's another couple of videos regarding techs coming!

Jiggy37

Smash Apprentice
If any of those Kirby down air or down tilt combos stick, my still poignant memory of Smash 64 Kirby will be very happy!
And Samus' up smash actually having KO power (granted that Bowser was at high percentage) is nice.

Edit: Thanks for the videos!

Last edited:

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
Thank you so much for the videos. It is unfortunate that you lost two of them, but the ones you have provided thus far are really entertaining. Can't wait to see what technical information is confirmed/disconfirmed.

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
I like the video thumbnails, it's refreshing since I kind of hated the strange solid colors most sm4sh video thumbnails have.

Xigger

Smash Lord
It's amazing to me how many programmers don't see exactly how easy a bug like that random thing is could slip in.

Seriously, that's a super easy oversight. All it would take is a development roster (Back when they were just throwing in everything they had models for, for example) and then not remembering after going through character select that the random_select() function is still pointing at the development_list[] instead of the production_list[].

Sure, that's a theory. But it's entirely possible for it or something very similar to it to have happened, it would be hard to catch (Random would still work and most of the time give you proper characters and probably wouldn't even crash, so automated tests would pass it) and ... yeah. Wow, go work on some bigger projects guys.

(I'm not saying it does exist. But it's absolutely reasonable that it could.)

(Edit: Also, back in the day, there would have been at least one, and probably multiple, QAs testing "Select each character 500 times" -- welcome to game testing -- which would have caught this. It could get through in this case if that's not still a thing now in this age of "We can patch it!", if it just wasn't performed before the demos were sent out since they're just demos, or even if it was found and they just decided it wasn't critical to patch since getting a new demo build ready could be a prohibitively long process for the deadline they had.)
Sorry to continue an old conversation, but I wanted to clarify.

It's not impossible for a glitch like this to happen, but given the scenario it's next to impossible to expect. For starters, the director Masahiro Sakurai happens to be a humble elitist who inputs the precise details of the game's mechanisms himself. He's not as prone to a logical error as much as your average programmer. Which also means that someone who takes character inclusion so seriously would never allow entire non-playable characters' fighter files to be left in the demo's files. No, they went as far as to send a representative with each demo kit. But of course, my opinion of the director doesn't prove anything.

The real reason, again, is that this is the 4th game in the series, and the second one (to my knowledge) with a playable demo. The automated nature of the coding used to pick a random character has ALWAYS taken into consideration whether characters are unlocked are not. While it is possible to create a different roster system exclusively for the demo, there's no reason for a programmer to go further out of their way to make a new roster code instead of implementing into the currently existing one. It's unprofessional. As a rule of thumb, programmers take the least complicated route possible without degrading quality.

tldr; If professional etiquette is not convincing, then here is a hard fact: Character select screens show unlockable characters as question marks or not at all. You're claiming random can select an invisible character. (or on a second invisible roster) There's no way a demo would get even close to a glitch like that. You may not understand, but that doesn't change facts.

P.S., I don't know what you mean by "Wow, go work on some bigger projects guys", but I can only think of one thing. If you're insinuating that anyone who disagrees with you is an inexperienced amateur: don't.

KoRLumen

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KoRLumen
3DS FC
3437-3066-8679
Sorry to continue an old conversation, but I wanted to clarify.

It's not impossible for a glitch like this to happen, but given the scenario it's next to impossible to expect. For starters, the director Masahiro Sakurai happens to be a humble elitist who inputs the precise details of the game's mechanisms himself. He's not as prone to a logical error as much as your average programmer. Which also means that someone who takes character inclusion so seriously would never allow entire non-playable characters' fighter files to be left in the demo's files. No, they went as far as to send a representative with each demo kit. But of course, my opinion of the director doesn't prove anything.

The real reason, again, is that this is the 4th game in the series, and the second one (to my knowledge) with a playable demo. The automated nature of the coding used to pick a random character has ALWAYS taken into consideration whether characters are unlocked are not. While it is possible to create a different roster system exclusively for the demo, there's no reason for a programmer to go further out of their way to make a new roster code instead of implementing into the currently existing one. It's unprofessional. As a rule of thumb, programmers take the least complicated route possible without degrading quality.

tldr; If professional etiquette is not convincing, then here is a hard fact: Character select screens show unlockable characters as question marks or not at all. You're claiming random can select an invisible character. (or on a second invisible roster) There's no way a demo would get even close to a glitch like that. You may not understand, but that doesn't change facts.

P.S., I don't know what you mean by "Wow, go work on some bigger projects guys", but I can only think of one thing. If you're insinuating that anyone who disagrees with you is an inexperienced amateur: don't.
My thoughts exactly lol.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Pikmin can carry items? Could they do that in Brawl? It'd make sense seeing from the game they're based off of but I've never seen that before.

salaboB

Smash Champion
Edit: Okay the tone here is bad and I apologize if this comes across as an attack, it's not meant to be. I don't know if the rumor is true or not, and am inclined to think not. But what I do know is that saying the rumor is false because Sakurai would never allow something like that to be coded is just wrong. It would be a tiny little mistake and could easily slip through the cracks if it did happen. That's what my posts are about.

I'm claiming it's plausible for random select to accidentally trigger a different selection than you could get to by just clicking a portrait, and that even if something worked flawlessly in the previous version of the engine it could still be broken accidentally while working on the updated one.

But I have no personal stake in correcting your misconceptions. That doesn't change the fact that programming something with as many moving parts as Smash 4 has is harder than you seem to be giving it credit for being.

(But no, while professional etiquette got a second response from me, it's not convincing to me at all. That requires logic.)

Last edited:

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
It's crazy how everyone is wondering if their favorite characters will be in, while we're just excited to see combos amd techs.

I love Smashboards.

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
But I have no personal stake in correcting your misconceptions. That doesn't change the fact that programming something with as many moving parts as Smash 4 has is harder than you seem to be giving it credit for being.

(But no, while professional etiquette got a second response from me, it's not convincing to me at all. That requires logic.)
Trust me this isn't a thing. So many people at Oz Comic Con wasted their turns by selecting random. No one appeared except for characters already on the roster. Coding a random character selector is such an easy thing to do.

switch ( randomNumber ) {
case 1:
selection = character_Mario;
break;
case 2:
selection = character_Bowser;
break;
case 3:
selection = character_RosalinaLuma;
break;
case 4:
selection = character_DonkeyKong;
break;
default:
selection = character_Samus;
break;
}

In this example only those listed characters are possible to select. If for some reason the randomNumber is generated incorrectly then it would just default to Samus. Now I have no idea how Nintendo chose to code their random selection, but regardless how they did it Ganondorf, if he was there, would have a 1 out of 21 chance of appearing. I can easily tell you by the number of random selections that took place at Oz Comic Con that it was not the case.

Last edited:

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
That's friggin nutty that the Pikmin grab items now. Can't wait to play around with that.

salaboB

Smash Champion
Trust me this isn't a thing. So many people at Oz Comic Con wasted their turns by selecting random. No one appeared except for characters already on the roster. Coding a random character selector is such an easy thing to do.

switch ( randomNumber ) {
case 1:
selection = character_Mario;
break;
case 2:
selection = character_Bowser;
break;
case 3:
selection = character_RosalinaLuma;
break;
case 4:
selection = character_DonkeyKong;
break;
default:
selection = character_Samus;
break;
}

In this example only those listed characters are possible to select. If for some reason the randomNumber is generated incorrectly then it would just default to Samus. Now I have no idea how Nintendo chose to code their random selection, but regardless how they did it Ganondorf, if he was there, would have a 1 out of 21 chance of appearing. I can easily tell you by the number of random selections that took place at Oz Comic Con that it was not the case.
What if Ganondorf was a development skin for Captain Falcon? Alternatively, could require a specific scenario to occur, reducing the odds significantly -- maybe there's a possible failure state when trying to select if the randomed target+skin combo was already selected and that can end up somewhere unexpected.

(Are we certain the Comic Con used the same build?)

(Still don't think it's actually likely, as I said. Still think it is a technically possible thing.)

(I can just keep coming up with possible ways it could slip through all day. ALL DAY. But I think I'm done? If I haven't convinced anyone it's even in the realm of possibility yet, I doubt I ever will.)

Last edited:

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
That Kirby vs Olimar battle was good. I just realized that I haven't seen any Olimar footage yet.
Its a nice touch that Olimar's Pikmin actually pick up items. I mean, I probably would've never known about that because I'm gonna be playing without items turned on as soon as I get the game, but that is such a cool detail that they added.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I think Sakurai mentioned it in a POTD. USmash has a strong upward hit at the end, decent kill power. Up Special also has a pop at the end, giving it some kill potential, but not that much.
Samus's Up Smash was shown in the Smash Direct, not in a Pic of the Day :B
I love the new powerful Screw Attack.

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
SDI re-confirmed!

For those of us who can't understand what they're saying:
No sdi
Sdi to the left
Repeat.

Top Bottom