• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New advanced technique (?): Tether Bouncing

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
NOTE: I do not have any sort of means to make a video of this. It is also kind of hard to explain without visuals, and I don't have an SD card to post pictures either... I'd love it if someone could make a video/provide pictures of this once you figure it out. Until then, you'll have to bare with me and my god-awful text pictures... =\

EDITS:
* 5/15/09 - made text pictures a little less confusing and cluttered.

Also, feel free to skip the first bit of text, after the word "imagine" up until the word"****". It's just there for drama purposes, and is a little long-winded, if not overdone. =P

______/ Tether Bouncing \_____
/---------------------------------------------------------------------------------\​

*insert picture here*

Tether bouncing is a little something I discovered while screwing around with ZSS's recovery in Delfino.

Imagine: You're fighting the dreaded Meta Knight on his stage, Delfino Plaza. The odds are greatly in his favor, but by shear skill, determination, and maybe some luck, his lead is only slight. Down to one stock each, but he's only at 96%, you at 150%. Nervous, pulse rushing, your side-b spacing fails you, as he jumps in and lands a fair on you, right at the edge of the stage. You go shooting off, Just barely not enough to kill you with a Uair hit-stun break and a flip-jump momentum cancel, you are now forced to recover. Expecting a side-b tether recovery, or maybe a flip-recovery, he waits, his spam-****** sword in hand. However, you don't use your second jump, and instead DI under the stage.
Now, this MK player has faced quite a few Zamus' before, so he's familiar with the little games we play with our up-b under the stages, and is obviously familiar with characters jumping up through the platform for an attack. Expecting one of these two approaches, he starts jumping around a bit, trying to space with some Dairs, well aware that your jump might be fast enough to catch him off guard with a Uair, a possibly deadly move, but ready to jump out of the way of your whip, should it come soaring up.
"Slap!" you do a Double-jump+up-b, and though you are under the stage, it tethers the edge. Thinking you messed up your up-b surprise attack, he instantly dashes towards the edge, ready to guard your climb back onto the stage.

*TTSHHSSKZZZZZZZZZZZ* - *TTSHHSSKZZZZZZZZZZZ* *shft'* *BAH!* *PUCHSH*

"GAME!"

"Is that all?"

Double-Dsmash > Turn-around > Bair > Taunt/Game

You stand triumphant, catching your Stun Gun in your hand, behind where your opponent once stood.

What.
The.

Tether bouncing is a VERY useful surprise/recovery technique that works on any platform that has an edge to tether and can be jumped up-through, like the flying platform in Delfino. It allows you to essentially teleport, standing, onto the stage from below, with absolutely NO landing lag, or move lag. This not only serves as a great surprise attack, but allows you to avoid sticky ledge-hanging situations altogether. The lack of lag of any sort means that you can buffer right into shield, attack, or anything, so it comes out just as immediately as your hurtbox as you come onto the field. This means that even when it isn't a surprise, or is even expected, it makes a great way to just avoid hanging from the edge. It can even be controlled to a fair extent where you will land on the stage.

How it's done:

Tether-recover with up-b+Double jump under the stage where you want to teleport onto the platform above you, making sure you gain enough height so you're basically immediately below/sticking out slightly above (more dangerous) the platform, all within tethering range of the ledge. Where you are when your tether grabs effects where you will "teleport" (on the ground immediately above you).

The results:

You will "appear" right above where you tethered, standing, with absolutely no lag of any kind.

How it works:

Find any ledge. Jump off, and use side-b to recover so you are about level with the stage. You will notice that Zamus's body becomes horizontal as the whip stakes a sort of "curve", quickly falling into a hanging tether.

V Stage ----------------V Ledge----V Zamus
-------------------------- -----------o3---<
|||||||||||||||||||||||||/\_______/
||||||||||||||||/---------------^Tether w/curve

Notice how her body actually moves up slightly. This is key.

This side-b curve can be replicated with up-b, if you use the momentum of your second jump to bring you level with the stage. When you do this under a tether-able platform that you can go up through, it is the same as above, only reversed.

---V Stage-------V Zamus------V Ledge

____________>---8o______
-------------------------\______/

--------------------------^ Tether w/curve

What's this? Zamus is actually technically on the stage! However, you will not see this specific frame of time ever in the game, because the designers apparently never expected Zamus to touch land while in this state. What does this mean? It means that as soon as she touches the land, she immediately reverts to "standing" mode, and because she isn't technically coming down from the air, there is no landing animation. And because this was likely not expected to ever happen, there is no animation for this transition. The result?

------------------\O/
------------------oo
-------------------|
____________/ \________________

Lagless re-entry to the field! And you're free to do whatever you wish.

Some applications are obvious, and I'm sure you can all think of things I wouldn't, so lets go ahead and pick this one apart! ABUSEABUBEABUSE.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
Very interesting. I wish it had an application on neutral stages like FD and Battlefield, but I guess there are a few stages where this would be a great mindgame.

Hence

Smash Ace
Wait,
you srs?

Edit: Face twords the ledge while fast falling under a stage, correct?

Sorry, tl;dr.
Your stick figure drawings were very impressive though. Nice attention to detail.

Edit2: Oh god, I overlooked B-Reversal wtf...

Edit3: Nice find.

Edit4: K, I read the article. Plasma Wire instead of Plasma Whip as I initially presumed, hmm. All of my problems could have been solved by the power of reading. Edits suck. :(

noradseven

Smash Lord
WHY THE **** DOES EVERYONE NOT KNOW THESE THINGS JESUS CHRIST.

Sorry about that but again this is something that I figured out along time ago, its p. easy on delphino and halberd, its main application is for messing with scrubs or people who haven't seen the moves before heads.

Well okay its p. good for recovering to the stage without having to worry about getting hogged, and its one of the reasons I like the stages with these platforms.

Hence

Smash Ace
WHY THE **** DOES EVERYONE NOT KNOW THESE THINGS JESUS CHRIST.

Sorry about that but again this is something that I figured out along time ago, its p. easy on delphino and halberd, its main application is for messing with scrubs or people who haven't seen the moves before heads.

Well okay its p. good for recovering to the stage without having to worry about getting hogged, and its one of the reasons I like the stages with these platforms.
Why would I not have to worry about getting edgehogged?

Correct me if I'm wrong but you're still teathering.

EDIT: OH ****.
WAIIIIT, you mean saving your jump and boost jumping under the stage?

EDIT2: LOL
You mean teathering the opposite ledge? God, his explaination wasn't very detailed because I can't understand the drawings. The captions are just explaining how it works well.

noradseven

Smash Lord
Why would I not have to worry about getting edgehogged?

Correct me if I'm wrong but you're still teathering.

EDIT: OH ****.
WAIIIIT, you mean saving your jump and boost jumping under the stage?
Yeah boost jump under the stage, you grab the edge thing and you instantly are standing in neutral you don't go above the floor.

Unless you guys want to see it in ****ty mac web cam quality someone else is going to have to show it.

Hence

Smash Ace
Yeah boost jump under the stage, you grab the edge thing and you instantly are standing in neutral you don't go above the floor.

Unless you guys want to see it in ****ty mac web cam quality someone else is going to have to show it.
What edge? :(

I'll test it out in the morning but a video would be fine too.

Hence

Smash Ace
Boost jump under the platform your up B grabs the edge, you start swinging but then suddenly since you were moving up so fast you are above the platform blam instantly cancels up B, you are in neutral position.
If your opponent is on the ledge will you still teather?

Bouse

Smash Ace
I'd make a video, but I just don't like any of you.

Edit1:
Except Cake of course

Edit2: I really do despise the rest of you

Edit3:
By the way dude, why can't you just put all of the stuff you want to talk about in a single message?

Edit4:
I mean it's not all that hard to write a coherent paragraph about a subject while avoiding stupid questions.

Edit5: Pretty much you just need to think it through and mull over your questions without immediately responding with a premature brain ejaculation.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657

Edit1:
Except Cake of course

Edit3:
By the way dude, why can't you just put all of the stuff you want to talk about in a single message?

Edit4:
I mean it's not all that hard to write a coherent paragraph about a subject while avoiding stupid questions.

Edit5: Pretty much you just need to think it through and mull over your questions without immediately responding with a premature brain ejaculation.
But I love you

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Yeah, can we get a video to determine if this is new at all? Considering you seem to have the ability to post a video, I suggest that you do so, otherwise your topic is worthless and I will report it.

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
Yeah, can we get a video to determine if this is new at all? Considering you seem to have the ability to post a video, I suggest that you do so, otherwise your topic is worthless and I will report it.
Um, what do you mean? I don't have a video, nor do I have the ability to make one. =\

I'll see if I could possibly get some pictures, though. It'll have to be after this weekend though, I'm really busy... a tourney, and I have to work.

Also, useless? Report?! Is there some sort of rule I don't know about that requires technique threads to have videos?

Hence

Smash Ace

Edit1:
Except Cake of course

Edit3:

Edit4:

Hey- HEY!

There's no need to mock me. :(

noradseven

Smash Lord

Edit1:
Except Cake of course

Edit3:

Edit4:

People are more likely to read shorter posts true story, plus who the hell even cares about post counts, as long as its above like 10-15 its all the same until its like above 10,000 then its just weird.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Second read through I can actually understand this, gonna try it out tonight. My favorite stage with ZSS is Brinstar so this is could be really nice.

Edit: Ya I'm liking this a lot, good AT.

To whoever was asking if this can be done while being ledgehogged, no it shouldn't work but if you're doing it correctly and you get edgehogged you should just go through the stage and land with some lag from the boost jump anyways.

Snakeee

Smash Master
I actually have done this since day 1. I could always do it a good amount of the time if I tried to. However, I never bothered trying to figure out the specifics of it, which was a little silly of me. It can be pretty useful, but does this only work on stages with "thin" bases like Delphino, because those are the only kinds I've done it on. Sorry, if you mentioned that in the first post; I skimmed through just a bit.

All in all, it's a pretty cool mix-up, but if they expect it prepare to be *****.

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
I actually have done this since day 1. I could always do it a good amount of the time if I tried to. However, I never bothered trying to figure out the specifics of it, which was a little silly of me. It can be pretty useful, but does this only work on stages with "thin" bases like Delphino, because those are the only kinds I've done it on. Sorry, if you mentioned that in the first post; I skimmed through just a bit.

All in all, it's a pretty cool mix-up, but if they expect it prepare to be *****.
Fair enough.

As for thicker platforms, yes, as far as I've seen, it does. Actually, it doesn't make a difference at all. If you can go up through the platform, then the thickness of the platform doesn't matter, because the game only registers the "top" part of the platform as having any physical traits. So, as long as you think of the very top of the platform as the platform, then it doesn't make a difference.

Did that make any sense? =P

Top Bottom