• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Never give up! Trust your instincts! - Fox video thread obsolete: Go to http://smashvods.com/

C.R.Z

Smash Lord
Also CRZ, watching your set against J. Miller (great game 1 by the way) You should probably work on your option select in a tech chase. I notice you rolling back after a missed tech and I swear Luigi's everywhere always know when you're gonna roll back. Some of your utilt punishes whiffed and you were punished for it as well, something a lot of Foxes have is always using utilt as a punish out of habit (I have that habit sometimes too)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7J_K0e0Of8 This is a set I've recently had against Poke (has wins on Ally, M2K etc and I play him a lot because he's from my region and I can't crack his Luigi)
Rewatching this set yes yes I know I'll cut the side B's, they definitely did way more harm then good and they got baited. I also did a few panic rolls and got punished for it, I don't know why but Poke is the only player I know that triggers all my panic options, some criticism here would also be appreciated.
Aside from the input errors try and improve your punish game. You missed some really big opportunities to open luigi up/get a kill. Optimize your conversions, get as much as you can from your dash attacks and utilts. At low percent dont be afraid to do things such as dash shield after a dash attack, block their aerial and punish. Cant afford to miss juggles/punishes. There are times when you punished his landing well but didnt push it any further as much as you could which could of potentially tacked on alot more percent/got the kill.

You got grabbed waaay too often. luigi should never really be able to just dash grab you when your essentially in neutral

if you are going to pressure shield with nair or bair make sure you are not moving forward. If you move forward it becomes not safe. I tend to only use bair to anti air because pressuring with it is unreliable.

go over dair uses and add fox trotting into your game. fox trotting mixed with dash shielding is really useful for mobility
foxtrot for speed
dash shield to give you time to assess your opponents state(Are they attacking, are they jumping,are they moving closer, away etc)

SpaceDong

Smash Cadet
NNID
KRKFilms
Aside from the input errors try and improve your punish game. You missed some really big opportunities to open luigi up/get a kill. Optimize your conversions, get as much as you can from your dash attacks and utilts. At low percent dont be afraid to do things such as dash shield after a dash attack, block their aerial and punish. Cant afford to miss juggles/punishes. There are times when you punished his landing well but didnt push it any further as much as you could which could of potentially tacked on alot more percent/got the kill.

You got grabbed waaay too often. luigi should never really be able to just dash grab you when your essentially in neutral

if you are going to pressure shield with nair or bair make sure you are not moving forward. If you move forward it becomes not safe. I tend to only use bair to anti air because pressuring with it is unreliable.

go over dair uses and add fox trotting into your game. fox trotting mixed with dash shielding is really useful for mobility
foxtrot for speed
dash shield to give you time to assess your opponents state(Are they attacking, are they jumping,are they moving closer, away etc)

Yeah there were definitely a lot of times where I could have followed up harder but didn't want to risk overextending. Luigi isn't combo fodder at all and that nair gets pretty deadly. Again thanks for the insight.

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
I would like to have my fox critiqued sometime. since my area has a poor scene(especially for smash 4), where should i get my matches from? Since i play almost exclusively on wifi, would you like to see sets from good players on Anther's then? But i must warn you guys:Any video i post will not be capture card quality.(it'll be my phone against the gamepad screen so the glare shouldnt be too bad)

Foster J.

Smash Ace
I mean whatever you can get is fine, it doesn't have to be you getting destroyed, it's better for you to show footage of someone you were "evenly" matched with to some extent, and winning / losing doesn't matter as long as it's a last stock situation in general, unless you want to specificity want your flaws pointed out and upload one where you get destroyed

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
ok, when i get the time, I'll have to find some good people on anther's lol

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
Got three Fox sets from Newry to link - would really love any comments on this as I thought I was playing pretty well but still couldn't beat EOE. Ignore any Link games, they were... regretful. I played him the whole day in early bracket and thought it'd be fun to try against the better players is all =P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmeOK0rMzQs& - vs EOE's Peach
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twzlkI5LF_k& - vs Way's Meta Knight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnFxErKsYL0& - vs maXy's Zelda

Things I already know I did wrong:
-I need to cover airdodges with Uair more as he got away with airdodging my Uair far too much
-When Peach floats at me, I might as well just shield rather than attempt to challenge it
-Laser less unless he's very far away, Peach can close a distance surprisingly quickly with Fair's disjoint
-In game 3, I attempt to go offstage to punish the lack of Peach's float and end up getting KO'd for it; don't get baited offstage as it is almost never a good idea
-Don't relieve pressure after I get the advantage, try to keep stuff going but not dangerously so

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Last edited:

Patrino

Smash Rookie
NNID
Patrino
Ow hey, this is a thing it seems. I crashed and burned at the end of the tournament but feel free to give tips on the meta knight matchup or any bad habits you might see in this video.

Vs the meta knight i just plainly sucked in my own eyes. As i was just spamming out random moves at a given time.

M@v

Subarashii!
My big house streamed matches are up on youtube, To be honest I felt I played really bad on stream because it was my
first tourney set of the weekend, and I'm usually not one to start fast.

Both of my stream sets from Big house are on youtube...check the channel for other foxes because if they were on Tourney Locator they should be uploaded. I'll repost these in the video thread too:
Singles match:

Doubles (Robin game 1, Fox game 2):

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
I'll try to get some anther's matches against competent players sometime today or tomorrow, so be ready for some potato.

Chalice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tenkenjin
It's sad people aren't really giving out critique, alas the good Fox players are busy improving themselves.,
I like the way he used Fox's banana to gimp Diddy although I believe the optimal punish was to Firefox into Diddy in order to do another one downwards to spike him

Am I critiquing yet

But seriously though, that play made me lol hard

Foster J.

Smash Ace
I like the way he used Fox's banana to gimp Diddy although I believe the optimal punish was to Firefox into Diddy in order to do another one downwards to spike him

Am I critiquing yet

But seriously though, that play made me lol hard
No, the optimal punish was for sure the banana as any weak hit knocks Diddy out of his jetpack.
If you were to fire fox into him Diddy is just in a tech situation where he'd gain altitude

JUDGE

Smash Lord
I am glad you watched that Stream Foster J. Foster J.
Actually i came here to post the matches of Sodrek's incredible Losers Bracket run at Germanys Huge Surprise Tournament. For those of you who arent aware: Sodrek is a Fox Main from Berlin and has been ranked Top 3 in Brawl and after his recent Performance, arguably the best Smash 4 Player in Germany.
He took a Set against Mr R in the Winners Bracket of Smash U Underground and now finished 1st Place at the biggest German National with 128 participants.
He won the Grand Finals against cyve who has been dominating the Smash Scene in Germany since Brawl.

I've been friends with Sodrek for many years and I've always been amazed of his playstyle and his ever growing potential.
But this time he was really playing out of his mind and finally won his first big national.

Pls take a look at his Top 8 Losers Bracket run ( he lost 2-1 to cyve in winners round 3 btw). Trust me it'll be worth your time.
I really think the moment he dropped in to the zone, he actively advanced Fox's metagame.

Ok, here we go:

Losers Quarters

Sodrek (Fox) vs Wusi (Fox)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op_Ok21RWsA

Losers Semifinals

Sodrek (Fox) vs LoNg0uw (ROB,Sheik)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOFeeUPrx38

Losers Finals

Sodrek(Fox) vs Light (Mario,Sheik)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sohYh9QgnfQ

Grand Finals Set1 & Set2

Sodrek (Fox) vs cyve (Diddy, Sheik)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFzKQOvMttw

Sodrek is going to start his Stream within the next month and is planning on attending EVO 2016.
We want him to succed in his goals, and are trying to raise awareness of this top level Fox.

Foster J.

Smash Ace
Wow Judge, you forgot to link the Yoshi match hehe.

I already added those matches to the list though, so alas they are worth watching for the most part.
A shame WR3 wasn't uploaded.

And honestly going back to Smash Underground where he did win that set, it was pretty evident that Mr. R was goofing considering Cyve's following slaughter of Sodrek knocking him into the re-match in losers hehe.

Alas good job Sodrek, shame the stream quality was arse, but alas the recordings are solid.

Chalice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tenkenjin
No, the optimal punish was for sure the banana as any weak hit knocks Diddy out of his jetpack.
If you were to fire fox into him Diddy is just in a tech situation where he'd gain altitude
Lol I was being sarcastic in my comment because of how you said that no one is critiquing so I intentionally (Or tried to at least since it didn't work with you xD) made a bad one

Didn't think you'd take it seriously

Sodrek

Smash Cadet
@JUGDE also designed my Stream layout and it's freaking cool. Cant wait to stream. Thx also for posting my Matches buddy <3

Wow Judge, you forgot to link the Yoshi match hehe.

I already added those matches to the list though, so alas they are worth watching for the most part.
A shame WR3 wasn't uploaded.

And honestly going back to Smash Underground where he did win that set, it was pretty evident that Mr. R was goofing considering Cyve's following slaughter of Sodrek knocking him into the re-match in losers hehe.

Alas good job Sodrek, shame the stream quality was arse, but alas the recordings are solid.
Liva has trouble uplouding, because some files are broken. WR3 will definitely come soon. And thx ;)

Edit: Sodrek plays mario kart omg xDD

Last edited:

Foster J.

Smash Ace
Lol I was being sarcastic in my comment because of how you said that no one is critiquing so I intentionally (Or tried to at least since it didn't work with you xD) made a bad one

Didn't think you'd take it seriously
I Uhhhh.... It's hard to read sarcasm over the internet you know.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643

May not be a Fox player but really looking for advice when playing this match up. I feel very inconsistent when playing Fox and only feel like I am in control when I have the percent lead. What do you think I can do differently as Mega Man? (Especially when being pressured by up tilt or n-air approaches? Is shield really enough?)

Last edited:

Pudgetalks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Anchorboy7

May not be a Fox player but really looking for advice when playing this match up. I feel very inconsistent when playing Fox and only feel like I am in control when I have the percent lead. What do you think I can do differently as Mega Man? (Especially when being pressured by up tilt or n-air approaches? Is shield really enough?)
I noticed alot that after he would dair you on shield you would try to shield grab, instead, wait for the utilt and grab him then, as it is not safe at all, and if you try to grab him after dair, his uptilt will just hit you instead.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I noticed alot that after he would dair you on shield you would try to shield grab, instead, wait for the utilt and grab him then, as it is not safe at all, and if you try to grab him after dair, his uptilt will just hit you instead.
Would OoS Up Smash also work in case I am facing the opposite direction of the grab?

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
hey boys cast your eyes over this will ya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2tAonIeUmk

Me versing waveguider, an amazing wiifitt trainer and possibly the best player in Australia.
I'd really appreciate if you guys could give it to me hard and give me stuff to work on, not so much to beat him or win this particular matchup, but just improvement in general.
We play often and he's really good, going offstage always gets me killed, and he's a really good defensive player so even though it doesn't always work, I try to beat him through his ledge options, as you can see I usually win neutral against him but struggle to get the kill.

SuperTorn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperTorn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMlDsLodgcA
Got featured in the top 5 plays from my first tourney 2 weeks ago, #5 and #3 was me with ZSS and Fox. Got a sweet 0-death on the guy using Falco ironically lmao, just wanted to know what would've been mixups I could've done on my match with Fox, think I could've punished him more if I got more different mixups in?

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWyrBId9yG0

I was asked to post a performance to be critiqued and given advice for. Well, here it is. One of my most horrific experiences yet in my 10+ tenure of smashing. I can't bear to watch the replay myself. The video will be taken down in a month to avoid me because a laughing stock of the Smash community. This performance was unacceptable by any standard. But I figured, despite the horrific nature, it was the perfect video to share reluctantly, but urgently. Please help a fellow Smasher out here, he desperately needs it. If you use technical terms, please explain them in using them in your feedback. I have a couple other replays, but decided to use this one. Fox is in distress.

Thanks in advance, I'm looking to get some constructive replies that will improve my gameplay, so this doesn't happen again ASAP.
I

SuperTorn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperTorn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWyrBId9yG0

I was asked to post a performance to be critiqued and given advice for. Well, here it is. One of my most horrific experiences yet in my 10+ tenure of smashing. I can't bear to watch the replay myself. The video will be taken down in a month to avoid me because a laughing stock of the Smash community. This performance was unacceptable by any standard. But I figured, despite the horrific nature, it was the perfect video to share reluctantly, but urgently. Please help a fellow Smasher out here, he desperately needs it. If you use technical terms, please explain them in using them in your feedback. I have a couple other replays, but decided to use this one. Fox is in distress.

Thanks in advance, I'm looking to get some constructive replies that will improve my gameplay, so this doesn't happen again ASAP.
I
If you really want to improve competitively assuming that's why you posted here
1. Don't do 4 player matches for practice
2. Don't use items
3. Excessive rolling, try running and shield dropping (running and stopping your dash with your shield)

Try looking general videos on Youtube on howo improve in general and getting rid of your bad habits like rolling over any single thing. Also if that's the color you usually use for Fox, good one, green Fox is my main

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
If you really want to improve competitively assuming that's why you posted here
1. Don't do 4 player matches for practice
2. Don't use items
3. Excessive rolling, try running and shield dropping (running and stopping your dash with your shield)

Try looking general videos on Youtube on howo improve in general and getting rid of your bad habits like rolling over any single thing. Also if that's the color you usually use for Fox, good one, green Fox is my main
Believe or not, I tried looking up some videos with substance this morning. Spacing is supposedly the most important thing n Smash (and all things revolve around it). But when you are in the Gamer course, you got DK, Bowser, and Dunk Hunt, and you have chaos going everywhere, its hard to maintain safe distance. Items have been my lifeline at times, and responsible for some of my wins.

Something I notice whenever I go online, whatever the case might be, its like my brain is given a clean slate. I forget everything I watched that morning, and how to execute such. That's why I think its best I learn while actually smashing with somebody, that's the best training method. I just need some trainers.

And yeah, Fox looks better in some of his other outfits than his original.

SuperTorn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperTorn
Believe or not, I tried looking up some videos with substance this morning. Spacing is supposedly the most important thing n Smash (and all things revolve around it). But when you are in the Gamer course, you got DK, Bowser, and Dunk Hunt, and you have chaos going everywhere, its hard to maintain safe distance. Items have been my lifeline at times, and responsible for some of my wins.

Something I notice whenever I go online, whatever the case might be, its like my brain is given a clean slate. I forget everything I watched that morning, and how to execute such. That's why I think its best I learn while actually smashing with somebody, that's the best training method. I just need some trainers.

And yeah, Fox looks better in some of his other outfits than his original.
That's why four player matches, or 3 player matches are not recommended for training. Every tech and useful moves you can practice for hours end get thrown out the window. Those techs are for 1 on 1, not with more than 2 players. The best training you can do is training mode itself to get started practicing techs, and then with a friend for 1on1 to put into use what you practiced.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
That's why four player matches, or 3 player matches are not recommended for training. Every tech and useful moves you can practice for hours end get thrown out the window. Those techs are for 1 on 1, not with more than 2 players. The best training you can do is training mode itself to get started practicing techs, and then with a friend for 1on1 to put into use what you practiced.
I'm going to head over to the NNID exchange and try to find some people who can help me out. Only thing I can think of that a CPU can help me out with is perfect shielding. I need training with real time feedback.

What do you do with Fox that's different?

Last edited:

eturnalnocturne

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sparkd94
3DS FC
5026-4545-9595
Foxus you can use a CPU that has mostly projectiles for moves and practice foxes shine cancel which i notice hasn't really been talked about but just input :GCD:+:GCB: to pull out the shine to reflect but instantly right after the down special input you input what ever your spot dodge is on your controller :GCD:+:GCRT: and fox will cancel his shine with a spot dodge but if your going to do it make sure the projectile is close enough were it hits your shine as you input the spot dodge or other wise you will just shine and end with the shine lag when you reflect projectiles with fox. ( this works with any projectile foxes shine can reflect & doesn't work with falco since that's in the obvious )

Last edited:

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
Foxus you can use a CPU that has mostly projectiles for moves and practice foxes shine cancel which i notice hasn't really been talked about but just input :GCD:+:GCB: to pull out the shine to reflect but instantly right after the down special input you input what ever your spot dodge is on your controller :GCD:+:GCRT: and fox will cancel his shine with a spot dodge but if your going to do it make sure the projectile is close enough were it hits your shine as you input the spot dodge or other wise you will just shine and end with the shine lag when you reflect projectiles with fox. ( this works with any projectile foxes shine can reflect & doesn't work with falco since that's in the obvious )
Thanks, I'll see how that works with my controller setup. I'm guessing by "shine," you mean his reflector?

Top Bottom