• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness Video Thread: under new management

CarVac

Smash Journeyman
tailwhipping makes such a delicious sound... it makes my mouth water (dunno why)

At 2:10, I would have headed for the ledge. (vid 1) You could also have done it horizontally so that it'd have no landing lag.
2nd vid: Your getup rolls were rather predictable (you didn't wait for the marth to approach before taking advantage of your invincibility frames). Also, bait DB (by pretending to fair) and dj-loopy-jump backwards then over behind the marth for a bair. My strategies revolve around getting to my opponent's weak side.

I noticed my recovery strategy is different from a lot of other nesses (I see those at my school most often). As Amazing Ampharos pointed out once, 'dumb' ness players fall until their PKT2 has to go the minimum possible distance (diagonally). That's bad because there it can be gimped. I instead use PKT2 either as soon or as late as possible, and either at (for a ledge sweetspot if they're going to attack) or above (if they're going to ledgehog) the ledge. It is very surprising to have Ness PKT2 downward to the ledge and grab it.

Also, my fav ledge getup attack is to jump backwards off the ledge and PKT2 parallel to the top of it. It is great for getting your opponent to do something rash, such as try and attack you (they die, or end up needing to recover) or grab the ledge (now you're onstage, and they're on the ledge). You can always decide against it and aim for the ledge if you need to.

FuPoo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SplashWoman
I wish I could play Brawl now. Those matches were January old. My Wii broke late May.

Also I love how I might enter a tournament with only a day of training! DECEMBER 5TH HERE I COME.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Alright, I'm not sure what's wrong but I can't view the second video.

As for the first one it's not bad, I liked your use of PKFire! I'd do more DAS you had a lot of opportunities for it. When that Falco just loved to use SideB to get back, all I could think of was, "Try to grab him, then release him". You may get hurt but he'll fall like a rock and be forced to use UpB to return and if I remember correctly you won't even need to edgehog it.

Asa

Smash Hero
what's DAS?

yeah i'll try the grab release next time. You just grab him out of the phantasm while he's recovering?

I loved the pk fire to pivot bthrow

gantrain05

Smash Master
DAS isn't really too helpful. at least not imo. its too easy to punish wish a shieldgrab and we all know how ness loves to get grabbed lol.

Man of Popsicle

Smash Lord
Very cool, way to space.
Gimp them wings of Icarus!

And Yink.
You do what I do. (I used to do it a lot more) rolling. Ness rolls slooooooow.

CarVac

Smash Journeyman
Ok.
1st vid: Tidus shouldn't be afraid of grabbing the ledge; he died twice from jumping over the ledge into an attack.
2nd vid: NIce video quality.
Nice pivot grab and nice DI at 1:30. Superb PKF-Dair-Uair chain at the end! I think he needs more psi magnet; Tink was able to land a few aerials and arrows because of predictable aerial movement.
3rd vid: I don't know if I should comment on this, especially since SM248 commented on the vid saying "my samus sucks"

CarVac

Smash Journeyman
JTails:
First vid:
You need to work on recovery. Save your double-jump, because with it you can become more unpredictable upon returning to stage (dj-airdodging and dj-fairing work well). Otherwise, my impression was that the other team didn't work too well together.
Second vid:
I was wondering why the music got more rushed, until I realized that you started to speed it up. Nice edgeguarding.

@Tidus:
Approach Yoshi more, and from a higher angle, I'd say. Once he decides to aim an egg high to hit you, you can fastfall under the egg better than you can jump over a low-trajectory egg. Also, try airdodging through the egg followed by dair.
Overall, be more aggressive.

Jtails

Smash Lord
thanks carvac, i actually used to play ness alot and my recovery was never an issue. but i started playing other chars and i just busted him out randomly. oh and there was lag on the tvs..
and yea saving my second jump is something i never do, which i should =]

xMPDx

Smash Cadet
This are some friendlies i had against my friend's Ness. He asked if i could do him the favor to put some matches in here. He will probably be posting soon ;-)

the video are in no specific order, i'll just put some here but there a lot more on my account, so feel free to watch :)

Snake vs Ness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuriMceuSWM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXyvQqdzmlo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV3zLTlV67A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeMeUjDxpL0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gew8k8EggOk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czMq1gDNAsM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5DSlx6AWEo

Yubi

Smash Cadet
Thanks MPD!!! I hope you guys all enjoy 'em. Comments and feedback about the matches or other stuff in general will be appreciated :-)

Levitas

the moon
that's not even fair. PK flash as an anti air to set up for.... PK Flash fully charged!

and the last game's pkf spike/save was too good, but you know that ;)

Your ness is legit :D

CarVac

Smash Journeyman
That slide was weird.

Try using dash attack more vs. Diddy, it picks up bananas awesomely.

NIce play though. Loved the spike vs. Pit.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Yeah, whatever the **** happened with that slide, if that is reliably replicable then it needs to be learned and mastered to the fullest, because if that isn't too situational it has the potential to be this game's wavedash. And if it's specific to Ness then.... win.

Meteor: What were you trying to do when that happened? And could you ask the Peach what he was trying to do please? It looked like it might have been a footstool glitch.

Never mind I got it. It happens if Ness starts a dash-grab at the same time Peach footstools him inside the PK Fire pillar. I think it's almost frame perfect, it took about 6 tries doing this before it worked. The fire pillar cancels the footstool early and for some reason that causes the slide. There's no discernible reason for the slide, but this is definitely how it happens.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
I've perfected the timing on it now. While it does look really really cool, there is sadly no way to ever force it to happen in an actual match, and even if you could the requirements for it mean that it would never be useful beyond looking really cool.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Okay Asa! Fun stuff here:

For the DK Match, be REALLY careful about letting him grab you. I dunno if the other person was aware of it or if they were going to ever do it but he has a lot of Grab release stuff on you so just watch for that. Be a little careful with using PK Fire too, it's kind of slow. The biggest thing I can say for you is if he hits you up....don't challenge his u-air. It doesn't work very often. Really sucked how the Klap got you...:(

Oh yeah, and you had more damage on him on that last stock, make him approach, just be patient. He'll have to eventually or you'll win. You did do a lot of fair which is good, lots of nairs too. Nice job. :)

Against the MK:

Hahahaha. I love how you taunted before he died. You know. Love the bthrow. Actually dude, throw more in general. Smart job on your part too. Fair and PKF beat tornado. (and a few others)

Be really careful offstage. This MK wasn't doing much to you offstage but use your jumps very carefully. Your Ness isn't bad, nice matches they were interesting to watch. Oh yeah, and if you do it right you can Fair right into a grab.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Reserving this post here to let everyone know that I should have a significant number of vids up after next weekend and I'll edit them into this post later. I have also got a lot better. The suspense begins! :p

CarVac

Smash Journeyman
You used PK Fire far too often, especially since it's useless vs. aerial opponents (you seemed to try it a lot vs. the tornado). You were being somewhat predictable when recovering; the first stock you lost in the first match was because the MK read that you were heading for the ledge.

1st mario game: Awesome. Great nair usage. Pretty similar to how I would've played it. Nice first kill!
2nd mario game: Also great. Try lag-cancelling the fireballs (by jumping or rolling back) after absorbing (if you're sure you're gonna absorb it).

Asa

Smash Hero
ya i gotta stop using pk fire so much against mk
how can i mix up my recovery to be less predictable

thanks for the help :)

RogueThunder

Smash Rookie
Save you're 2nd jump, us pk fire or psi magnet then double jump towards the ledge with your fairs blazin. Feel free to pkt2 down towards the ledge every now and again too

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
ya i gotta stop using pk fire so much against mk
how can i mix up my recovery to be less predictable

thanks for the help :)
hey asa x]. anyways you can do what rogue thunder said.
If you want to be completely safe and don't mind taking a few hits since you might get gimped anyways, pkt2 up, high above the stage rather than trying to go near the edge. this way even if they do hit you, if you DI correctly, you'll fly towards the center of the stage. Just don't do this unless you know what you're doing if you are at high percentage because it will leave you defenseless after the pkt2.

Another way is fast fall down near the ledge, then use your double jump while aerial dodging to dodge any incoming attacks.
Also if you're fighting a good meta (cough, LT), they know how to get past the fairs usually, so use nair instead, it has more priority in every direction.
and lastly, always read their shuttle loops. its not that hard to read when they will use it x].

Top Bottom