• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness is out: Come and help those in denial...

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I really wouldn't say he's basically confirmed with an item that appears in games like Mother 3 as well (Wasn't a replica given away with that game as well?)

Still, I never used Ness that much, so if he was replaced by another character, it wouldn't be a loss for me. =/

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
The official Ness thread?

have this pic

also, RIP Ness (almost)

'cause I still believe in miracles
I swear I've seen a few
and the time shall come
when you can see my point of view
I believe in second chances
and that's why I believe in you

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
If only Sakurai added the martial arts fiend Poo. A huge smile would be on my face if he did......I know.....wishful thinking....

Chibirobo

Smash Ace
Ness should hopefuuly be confirmed soon,and I hope when he does Sakurai makes his B moves better.

IcarusKid

Smash Cadet
The official Ness thread? Finally!!

Ness is the main character of Earthbound. He was the most unexpected character in the first Super Smash Bros, the hardest secret character to unlock.

Ness was initially set to be replaced by Lucas, the main character of Mother 3, in the sequel Super Smash Bros Melee. However, the game Mother 3 got cancelled in that period, so Sakurai decided to include Ness again, this time as a starter.

Sadly, in SSBM, Ness became a shell of his former SSB self: deemed too poweful in the first game, Sakurai decided to weaken him. A bit too much.

Now, a new Super Smash Bros is coming.

Will Ness (Best Video Game Character Ever) make his triumphant return?

Will he be replaced by Lucas?

Will both be in the game?

And... who will you play as? Ness, Lucas, or one of the several filler characters?

Dude that pic you have is the best thing i've seen on this site! Well Ness won't be replaced by Lucas since all the original characters are staying, but we could see Flint, Duster, or even Lucas not replaceing ness but being a 2nd Mother character.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
^^The picture is indeed impressive, but as far as it being the best thing on this site, well, I wouldn't go that far. Still, it's beyond great nonetheless.

IcarusKid

Smash Cadet
Ness's final smash most likley will be PK rockin. Haha and I havn't seen anything else on the forum that impresses me as much as that pic. lol.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
The official Ness thread? Finally!!

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb166/Ishsh/NessProfile.png

Ness is the main character of Earthbound. He was the most unexpected character in the first Super Smash Bros, the hardest secret character to unlock.

Ness was initially set to be replaced by Lucas, the main character of Mother 3, in the sequel Super Smash Bros Melee. However, the game Mother 3 got cancelled in that period, so Sakurai decided to include Ness again, this time as a starter.

Sadly, in SSBM, Ness became a shell of his former SSB self: deemed too poweful in the first game, Sakurai decided to weaken him. A bit too much.

Now, a new Super Smash Bros is coming.

Will Ness (Best Video Game Character Ever) make his triumphant return?

Will he be replaced by Lucas?

Will both be in the game?

And... who will you play as? Ness, Lucas, or one of the several filler characters?
Wow...that picture is amazing. I really hope that is how he appears.

ness4life

Smash Journeyman
In the apartment next to Sakurai. Friday is Pizza
I'm gonna assume that Ness is in the game, because Lucas' game was never released on this side of the pacific, and nintendo learned their lesson about putting characters that haven't been in the US in smash bros...(yes, that was a complete stab at marth and roy). Also, Ness is one of the original 12, so he's definetly in.

Wreked

Smash Lord
@ the picture.

Wow that's really cool but his eyes look Demonic to me.

@ness4life

I agree. And, correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't Sakurai say that he wanted to try to avoid Japan only characters.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
I'm gonna assume that Ness is in the game, because Lucas' game was never released on this side of the pacific, and nintendo learned their lesson about putting characters that haven't been in the US in smash bros...(yes, that was a complete stab at marth and roy). Also, Ness is one of the original 12, so he's definetly in.
What lesson? That it's a good thing to put them in the game so they can have major releases over here? Putting Marth and Roy in really helped FE explode in the US...

I agree. And, correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't Sakurai say that he wanted to try to avoid Japan only characters.
He did say that, but he followed it up by saying he'd probably do it anyway and also something about more FE characters.

NessPaulaJeffPoo

Smash Cadet
Also, the Franklin Badge update today helps confirm a little.

Ness did weild the Franklin Badge after it was given to him by Paula.

I don't think Lucas got the badge, but I really don't know.

So, its a Ness item, so I can safely predict he is returning.

Wreked

Smash Lord
He did say that, but he followed it up by saying he'd probably do it anyway and also something about more FE characters.
Would that be in SamuraiPanda's thread. I'll check.

And I hope there are more FE characters. There one franchise that I really hopes gets around four character. Probaly four at the most.

Edit:
#171-180: In this update, Sakurai basically just says that since Smash Bros is popular throughout the world, he can't just use characters that are only popular in Japan. But then he brings up that it worked for the Fire Emblem characters. Once, a black man (yes, he said that) thanked Sakurai for creating Roy just for him.

This is what it said in the SamuraiPanda thread.

IcarusKid

Smash Cadet
Also, the Franklin Badge update today helps confirm a little.

Ness did weild the Franklin Badge after it was given to him by Paula.

I don't think Lucas got the badge, but I really don't know.

So, its a Ness item, so I can safely predict he is returning.

Its not just a Ness item. Its Ninten, Ness, and Lucas item. It was in every Mother game. PLus Marth and Roy were japan only characters so we can still see some of those Mother 3 characters. Trust me when I say I know almost everything about the games and the storylines. Any Mother character probably has a chance of getting in.. Even Starman. So if you have any questions about the Mother series i will most likley be able to answer them.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Its not just a Ness item. Its Ninten, Ness, and Lucas item. It was in every Mother game. PLus Marth and Roy were japan only characters so we can still see some of those Mother 3 characters. Trust me when I say I know almost everything about the games and the storylines. Any Mother character probably has a chance of getting in.. Even Starman. So if you have any questions about the Mother series i will most likley be able to answer them.
Ninten and Ness are basically the same character. They're comparable to original Zelda Link and SNES Link or something. While different, they are based off the same character. They have the same qualities, etc., as opposed to Ness vs. Lucas where they are distinctively different.

Not sure why I added that, but I did. oh well

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
Ahhh..I don't know.. I just have a feeling that Lucas will replace Ness. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, because it'd be odd to have Claus and not Lucas and I really really really want Claus. Ness would probably be an unlockable costume for Lucas though. They are bound to have the same moveset anyway.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Ahhh..I don't know.. I just have a feeling that Lucas will replace Ness. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, because it'd be odd to have Claus and not Lucas and I really really really want Claus. Ness would probably be an unlockable costume for Lucas though. They are bound to have the same moveset anyway.
Not really. Claus isn't important, just like Paula wasn't. Give some of Claus's moves to Lucas and some other psi attacks that Ness doesn't have, and you can easily give them different moves. I'd say there's little to no chance of Claus getting in, Lucas in or not.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
Not really. Claus isn't important, just like Paula wasn't. Give some of Claus's moves to Lucas and some other psi attacks that Ness doesn't have, and you can easily give them different moves. I'd say there's little to no chance of Claus getting in, Lucas in or not.

That wouldn't be possible. Why? Lucas doesn't have a beam sword, a robotic arm which can shoot an energy beam and pig bombs. Lucas isn't a cyborg. =P

hectichobo

Smash Ace
I looked the Franklin Badge on Wikipedia and it redirected me to the Earthbound Page && Not any of the Mother 1-3 Pages... So i'm guessing Ness will be a playable character... But Lucas still has a chance... Notice.. None of the N64 SSB Unlockable Characters have been confirmermed yet... Sakuai is probably gonna realease Lucas first if he even does... Just to keep people hanging..

IcarusKid

Smash Cadet
Yeah if anything Lucas might just end up bein a Ness clone which should happen. Lucas would be awesome they would just have to change his moves to not match Ness. OH and Super Smash Master your sig is probably the best sig since the Chris Redfield Falcon Punch. lol.

NessPaulaJeffPoo

Smash Cadet
I honestly think that Sakurai will have dealt away with ALL the clones.

And only because Ness has been in the other two games and Earthbound is known worldwide, he stand a hell of a chance at making it.

Lucas is currently a Japan exclusive and wouldn't excite very many people. Except Japan.

I think a costume double is a high probability factor though.

I really hope the costume changes are more intracate than just a color change.

Wreked

Smash Lord
Me too Ness. Costume change would rid of so many clones. Doc Mario, Pichu, a bunch more of mario costumes, Daisy, and a bunch more.

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
Obviously I'm in contact with Sakurai and he gave me some future details on the game!
Not really
I found the opening post rather lackluster, as if making this topic was a chore for the grim lizard, and I thought that Ness deserved more, so I posted my pic.

Other than if he is included or not, what improvements does Ness deserve? For starters his recovery: I'd give him his SSB recovery back (faster, longer, more powerful), and change the properies of PK thunder, so that if he doesn't hit himself can actually use it again! This would prevent players from just hitting the thunder and let Ness fall to his doom.

Also, should he have super armor when he uses PK Flash?

the grim lizard

Smash Master
I found the opening post rather lackluster, as if making this topic was a chore for the grim lizard, and I thought that Ness deserved more, so I posted my pic.
Well, if you had seen as many 1$ |\|355 (0|\|f1R/\/\3|) y37??// threads as I have seen, you'd probably react the same. I was just surprised no one had posted anything yet...

Anyway, I edited it, now. Better?

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
Great work grim lizard.

The Franklin Badge was in all Mother games, and it plays a bigger role in the second and the third.
In the first Mother it could reflect the instadeath attack "PK Beam Sigma", and in Mother 2 and 3 it could reflect electric and laser attacks.

Top Bottom