• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ness discussion

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
If the Kirby times it perfectly I'm pretty sure he can hit to "detonate" it and then still be outside of its range though lol.

It can work though, but I feel the Kirby could just bait it out of the Ness once it looks like he is going to do it, jump over and bair or something =/

WOTG

Banned via Warnings
I tried to test it on someone, but they weren't really a utilt happy kirby, and was expecting me to do it. Idk, I just thought it'd throw those type of kirby's off who usually wait for you to approach. I honestly find it way too hard for Ness to approach Kirby.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Anyone think using PK Fire on a Utilting Kirby can possibly be an effective strategy?
Seems way too risky for little profit

but Ness does have a really hard time approaching

lolness

Charge shot is the coolest Kirby power. I legit used that against JaimeHR in tournament, and it was incredible. True story.

WOTG

Banned via Warnings
I tried against Moser Roth's kirby yesterday and it's somewhat effective against people who don't DI. Not effective enough to win you the match. Ness sucks.

M!nt

Smash Champion
I know ness sucks and arguably the worst character to use, but i cant help having a soft spot for the little guy :3

The Star King

Smash Hero
You aren't alone. Jesus, so many people have fond memories of Ness when they were noobs and thought he was actually good >_>

CaptCollins

Smash Cadet
(new on the 64 boards but have been playing forever, hi yadda yadda) Im going to a tourny today and playing ness. Will post results tonight. Pretty sure im a shoe in to win.

M!nt

Smash Champion
so wait Is there an advantage using PSI magnet on the edge or is it just to be fancy?

:phone:

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Well if you're in the middle of a jump when recovering and don't want to let yourself slowly and painfully float up over the edge for an easy punish, you can cancel your momentum and try to grab the ledge right away.

weedwack

Smash Journeyman
how many of you can confidently say you have mastered djc shield breaking? I see very good players mess them ALL the time, and it seems like it should be a much bigger part of ness' game. Maybe there are complication at higher levels of play that I dont know about?

Peek~

Smash Lord
Better players know not to be caught guarding. Its better to stay in the air or run away than it is to block/shield an attack.

Also its probably quicker/better/SAFER to grab after a successful air attack than go for a shieldbreaker.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I disagree with that on a theoretical level. If you have the breaks consistently, and know you're in a situation where you can break, you get more out of a shieldbreak than a grab most of the time.

weedwack

Smash Journeyman
I think its one of the most satisfying things to do in smash. and its psychological ****. I've seen many a breakdown from repetitious shield breaks.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
go for the shield break if you know you can hit it

i go for the grab on characters like luigi where shield breaking is quite harder than say a samus or a yoshi however

The Star King

Smash Hero
I would but I am not great at Ness djcing (though I was getting better before I switched to controller).

So yeah I usually just grab.

SSBPete

Smash Lord
shield breaks are more for show on weaker players.
most good players wont let themselves be in a situation in which a shield break is applicable because they simply wont abuse shield against ness.

Peek~

Smash Lord
Working on some new Dtilt and Jab technology.

Also I just played a Ness very similar to mine. Holy **** I am annoying to play against.

Stick Double Spikes, ledge thunders, and platform spikes -> grabs are ****ing ANNOYING

The Star King

Smash Hero
I've never understood your thing with jabs but w/e

Prepare to be amazed by my Ness combo game when I get fast DJCs down (which I never really did on keyboard)

firo

Smash Ace
I played a good amount of ness on the third day of Apex. He actually worked better than I expected against the players who haven't played online that much and aren't familiar with some of ness's tricks.

In terms of shieldbreaks, all the players I faced knew to basically not shield against ness. I was able to get Nintendude's Mario's shield to break in a semi-serious match but I messed up the punish (he was near the ledge and I uaired, naired, but then missed a spike, where I should have just done fair->dair) and there were a few other times I remember just missing the shieldbreak.

There are some things that I will definitely use to improve my game however, stuff like jab->grab worked very well (not the grab cancelled type of grab) and approaching with more fair caught some people off guard who were used to reverse horizontal bairs or dairs.

I played solely ness in teams which was all recorded. He's actually not that bad of a teammate as grab and dair are quick and useful. Plus if you have a teammate that can defend the ledge, he can stay off the stage and in the air for quite a while before coming back. With good ledge DI edguarding ness to death can take forever and leaves enough time for a teammate to step in. Hopefully the videos will be up soon.

M!nt

Smash Champion
Ok thanks =]

EDIT:That was cool, I liked the pk thunder after u-tilt at the end, never thought about that.
Where is Ness on the Japanese tier list?

Battlecow

Play to Win
I've heard mid-tier

Although we've never been shown a real (J) tier list

I'd be interested to see one.

I'm guessing kirby at #1.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Is it better to Nair chain or Fair chain? I feel the former might be easier. And what characters should I try to do this on? Only floaties or fastfallers too?

SSBPete

Smash Lord
its much, much harder to do ness chains on heavies

jiggs and luigi i would say are the easiest but then again it is 1.30am and i'm not thinking properly

you're right about the fairs, i find them easier as they give more forward momentum

Sangoku

Smash Master
Yeah I thought it would only work on floaties too. Huh I said the opposite, nair is easier. They almost have the same momentum, but the knockback is greater, which helps at low percents. I guess I'm wrong though.

Top Bottom