• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness' best/worst NEUTRAL stage

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
There is a lot of dicussion about the neutral stages not actually being neutral, so this to me provides a question, which is the best/ worst neutral stage for Ness.

For those who don't know the Neutral stages are(i think):
Battlefield
Final Destination
Pokemon Stadium(melee)
Yoshi's Island
Smashville
Lylat Cruise

I think his best stage is Battlefield because the platforms really compliment his aerial game, the edge doesn't gimp him, his usmash goes high enough to hit through the platforms, and the platforms don't really hider pkt2

Worst, i believe is Lylat Cruise, the tilting of the ship screws up pk fire alot, and the stage can gimp his recovery.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Worst, i believe is Lylat Cruise, the tilting of the ship screws up pk fire alot, and the stage can gimp his recovery.
I use that stage to my advantage when I meet someone who is PKF happy. Also that ship can easy gimp anyone's recovery. Final Destination isn't exactly the best place for anyone, either. Just yesterday I was coming back and I bounced off of the edge. I was supposed to grab it, but I bounced off of it like Lucas bouncing back off a wall after PKT2! Again, I was coming back another time and I slid right up on the lip but didn't grab it. I hate that stage.

There really aren't any bad stages for Ness. People might think so, but they also need to learn how to play on the stage. I always go to stages where there are platforms and it's quite obviousy that most stages have platforms. So if you hate platforms and you play as Ness, you might as well get used to it. Also Ness doesn't always need to rely on his PSI anyway.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
^ The problem with that is you face characters who love Battlefield (swordies, Snake, other taller characters, etc.). Recently, I faced a Samus on Battlefield, and by some crazy stroke of luck, I came back and won, but I could not approach her to save my life. Platforms blocked my PK attacks, missiles and Charge Shot barraged me, and Samus set up bombs to keep me at bay. She also outranged me on the ground.

Sure, you have to get used to it, but there's really no sense in deliberately putting yourself at a disadvantage.

NukeNess

Smash Cadet
I absolutely hate Link players on Battlefield. Arrow and boomerang spam under a platform more please. But atleast its mostly just thier strategy on that level that is giving me trouble and not the level itself. Yoshi's Island is frustrating cause of how low PK Fire is released from the ground and there are spots where your yoyo will not charge. For me Lylat is easily the worst cause of the positioning of the platforms and the movement.

Uffe

Smash Hero
^ The problem with that is you face characters who love Battlefield (swordies, Snake, other taller characters, etc.). Recently, I faced a Samus on Battlefield, and by some crazy stroke of luck, I came back and won, but I could not approach her to save my life. Platforms blocked my PK attacks, missiles and Charge Shot barraged me, and Samus set up bombs to keep me at bay. She also outranged me on the ground.

Sure, you have to get used to it, but there's really no sense in deliberately putting yourself at a disadvantage.
That is a stage solely for Samus. XD I fought my brother on that stage a lot. He mains Samus and I know exactly how you feel. Not that great of a stage if you're going up against Samus. I'd give you advice on how to beat Samus on that stage but all I can really say is that get her up on a higher level and you can spam your PKT on her and use you uair as she tries to approach. It's weird that I really can't share any advice as much as I'd love to help you out there, I just can't recall how I win on that level. ><

_clinton

Smash Master

Dude...just tell them you fought my Samus there ^_^

Oh and I like FD more then BF when I'm playing as Samus ^_^

Samus' grapple is good enough to the point where you don't have to worry about the Stage gimping her that much...

Is it odd that Onett is my favorite stage with Ness?

Uffe

Smash Hero
Is it odd that Onett is my favorite stage with Ness?
Nope. But I hate going there when I'm in like Basic Brawl or Team Battle because I'll be the only one playing as Ness. XD I wish Fourside was still around. D:

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
My favorite stages would be smashville (limited pkt interference, but the platform can help you recover w/o making yourself vulnerable at times) And Final Destination. (no pkt interference)

And my least favorites would be yoshi's island and Lylat Cruise for the reasons stated above. (by others)

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
I personally like Smashville and Pkmn stadium. There are some nasty tricks you can pull off with the terrain on pkmn.

And, as seems a general agreement, lylat and yoshi's are the badness. I die too often on those...

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
Pokemon isnt a neutral in socal..... else I might pick it.

I NEVER wanna go to lylat cruise or yoshi`s island. Lylat screws up my PKF and Yoshi`s island has actually killed me before by those ****ed shy guys.

I ussually try to go to smashville or final destination.

A_man13

Smash Master
Best:

FD: Others will tell you different things, but less platforms are better for Ness. Arials and PK isn't intercepted and it's generally a lot easier to land fire or PKT2

Yoshi's island: If you stand on the two peaks on the sides of the stage, it can give your fire an acuricy boost. Add in the whimsicle support ghosts who can help a PKT2 gon awry and you got yourself a good Ness stage.

Worst:

Battlefield: See FD

Lylat cruise: in additon to the many platforms, the stage tilting is never good for fat people, contact bombs, and Ness.

Crystanium

Smash Hero

QFT. Samus, in my opinion, is best friends with Battlefield. :laugh: Or, any stage with platforms.

Dude...just tell them you fought my Samus there ^_^
My Samus beat your Samus. :p What do you expect?

Kros

Smash Apprentice
Best: Smashville, Just cause animal crossing was awesome.
Worse: Lylat Cruise

I feel pretty good while playing on Battlefield.

neomadgic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
neomagic249
Best: Smashville
Worst: Yoshi's Island

Smashville - It's a nice and flat place for PK firing and pkt2. The moving platform will prevent getting gimped as you don't have to get to the ledge. When they land their back on the platform, its perfect for tech chasing with an Uair. Also, you don't have to aim perfectly at the ledge to get back either.

Yoshi's Island - Bad slant for PK fire. Shy guys get in the way of PK fire/thunder. The platform that pops up out of no where sometimes will save the person you are spiking.

I actually don't think battlefield is a bad place because you can use the platforms to your advantage. I love it when they land on either the right or left platforms. Because Ness could punish them easily. If they try to get down, just nair/fair/dair/bair them. If they shield, attack them so they fall off the platform and before they can land, hit them with an aerial. If they are on their backs just tech chase them with an aerial.

You can also use the platforms to your advantage. Lets say you're up against peach and you're trying to juggle her with your PK thunder. Normally, the peach would dair to cancel out the thunder and hitting you all in one attack. However, If Ness is under the platform, she'll only cancel out the thunder and get landing lag from the platform. Perfect for punishment.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
^ Uh, doesn't Ness lag from PK Thunder? I don't see why that would be a good reason to pick Battlefield. It's an awful, awful map because so many people have advantages on Battlefield, while Ness only has being able to aerial through a platform, something that anyone can do.

neomadgic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
neomagic249
^ Uh, doesn't Ness lag from PK Thunder? I don't see why that would be a good reason to pick Battlefield. It's an awful, awful map because so many people have advantages on Battlefield, while Ness only has being able to aerial through a platform, something that anyone can do.
Ok, I'll agree with the fact that other characters have advantages there also, but I personally love attacking people on platforms. And the point of the example was that you could pk thunder under the platform to cover yourself.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Bleh battlefield
Battlefield = more platforms
more platforms = more ground
more ground = less aerials
less aerial = unhappy Ness
unhappy Ness = unhappy Mik!

So by basic algebraic substitution, Battlefield = unhappy Mik!

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Bleh battlefield
Battlefield = more platforms
more platforms = more ground
more ground = less aerials
less aerial = unhappy Ness
unhappy Ness = unhappy Mik!

So by basic algebraic substitution, Battlefield = unhappy Mik!
Or you can think of it this way:

Battle field= more platforms
More platforms = more ground
More ground = Free aerials off people landing especially when it's on a place above you
Free aerials = More aerials
More aerials = Happy Ness
Happy Ness = Happy Mik!
Battlefield can = Happy Mik!

However It does mean less PkT/PkT2
Less PkT/PkT2 = Unhappy Ness
Unhappy Ness= Unhappy Mik!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Best neutral stage for Ness = Final destination

Its open and free Ness can do as he pleases here. Aerials, PkT, PkT2, ground game, Air game...

All of this leads to Happy Ness = Happy Mik!

Worst neutral stage for Ness = Yoshi's Island

Bad Pk fire angle because of the dent in the center of the stage.
The platform is useless. It tilts and not many people will want to land on it or even go on it.
Shy guys steal thunder

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
lol equations
Anyways, the reason dont like the platforms is because I cant combo in the air. Opponents land then shield. That, and I cant aerial rise and come down with a dair. I aerial rise a lot and that puts me above them on the platform. Bad position.

And yes, FD = Happy Mik!
:)

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Fine I'll admit it, I play battlefield just to mix things up I don't like platforms. I live off of aerials and my shield if Ness' shield wasn't so big I don't know what I'd do. Aerial is Ness' game all Ness' normally do use aerial tactics.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
And yes, FD = Happy Mik!
In every match I have been in against you, we're always at Final Destination. That stage is overrated and trite. It's already bad enough that I go there so often in Basic Brawl. People seem to act as if it's the only stage in the entire game. :mad:

neomadgic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
neomagic249
lol equations
Anyways, the reason dont like the platforms is because I cant combo in the air. Opponents land then shield. That, and I cant aerial rise and come down with a dair. I aerial rise a lot and that puts me above them on the platform. Bad position.

And yes, FD = Happy Mik!
qft

When I faced you one on one, I was always wondering why you kept doing that even though I was no where in sight.

ViceGrip

Smash Journeyman
Eff Yoshi's island. I'm not sure which neutral stage i like the most (probably fd or smashville) but i know i hate yoshi's island. If a player is silly enough to ban a neutral stage like fd (in hopes of getting a stage that hinders pk fire like yoshi's) then i always go ahead and ban Yoshi's, otherwise i put up w/ it. I hate it because:
1. You can't scale up the right side of the stage
2. the freaking platforms gimp me WAY more than they save me (ie i'll be recovering w/ pk thunder and one will pop up just in time to eat my thunder. That happens way more often than you would think)
3. As well as only gimping me, they save people occasionally from spikes.
4. the shyguys aren't really an issue but they're still there to remind you how gay this stage is.
5. and of course the slants are not benificial in almost any way for Ness imo.

As a final note I'll take lylat over yoshi's any day because as long as you pay attention to the tilting you shouldn't get screwed over too much on recovery. Also, if it's slanted up you can't use pk fire which is a bummer, but as a nice bonus when it's slanted down pk fire goes much farther than the enemy usually expects, so i find it to be more effective than usual when the stage slants down for me.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Vice, dont put your AIM there. Put it under your basic profile, and put some of that other info in your profile.

Gaussis

Smash Ace
Hmm for best, I'd put FD and smashville but for worst...that is one to think about. Yoshi's Island is probably worst but it depends on preference. I don't find it as a bad stage, but it does not yield any advantages to Ness. On lylat cruise, you have hilldashing, so I wouldn't put that one out just yet. I first want to test how effective this can be. If it's nothing promising, I'll put this one as worst as well.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Hilldash does not work on Lylat Cruise, and it's nothing i would use as an "advantage" either. Think of it more as a bonus.

Gaussis

Smash Ace
Scratch that then. Also I wasn't referring to it as an advantage, just something so it wouldn't make this stage as worst stage. But...since it doesn't work, whatever. Lylat Cruise and Yoshi's Island for worst Ness stages.

Meccs

@Meccs_
I absolutely hate Lylat Cruise... FD is my favorite. Smashwvlle isn't bad, either

goodkid

Smash Lord
Battlefield is a good stage, Ness can continue the pressure with his aerials on the platforms. Platforms help ness aerial wise, but they do get in the way of PKT2.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
K so here's my list

HATE: Lylat and Battlefield
Dislike: Yoshi's Island
Like: FD and Smashville
Love: Pokemon Stadium (if that counts)

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I'm glad I'm not the only one that hates Lylat. That place is stupid. *fails PK fire*

Uffe

Smash Hero
So that's why I was having a hard time defeating Yoshi.

I said it before and I'll say it again, I like Lylat Cruise just so I can stop PKF spammers from using their PKF and so they have to rely on something totally different.

FuPoo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SplashWoman
i actually enjoy battlefield as a neutral stage cause...

cause...

i love all of its music haha

Top Bottom