• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Negative damage?

Melike

Smash Rookie
Remember me? No? Didn't think so. I just had an idea for Brawl. "What, another "idea?" From a n0ob? This oughta' be good." Well, yes, you're kind of right, even I think it's a stupid idea, but I just had to tell someone. Let's say you pick up a healing item at 0% damage. Then you go into negative damage numbers. In this state, you don't so much as flinch no matter what's thrown at you, but you still get damaged, and you return to normal at 0% and above. You can only go negative if you pick up a healing item at 0%, it won't go past 0 if you're relatively low in damage. It's a stupid idea, I know, but I think it's also an interesting one. I guess I just wanted to feel like I belong. Thoughts?

-Ben

Smash Rookie
So if you get hit at like -20%, you still get damaged normally but with little/no knockback?

SkiMaskSkeet

Smash Cadet
Sounds like a pretty good idea to me. Maybe not applyable but if you pick up a heart or something like that, you get a partial invulnerability in the no/little knockback and such. I like it.

Kazuya

Smash Journeyman
Can you imagine Ken with - 100% ?

It's a good thought man, glad you are thinkin' of new ideas, but the reason it wasn't posted before may be because it is severely broken.

Me with a star is bad enough, if I had a star and -100% for insurance.... Wouldn't be too fair on others.

cu00x19

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, negative damage sounds UB3R broken. But here the thing:

Remeber Fox's shine? set knock back. so, if he was fighting a peach with -d% (let d=damage), then it wouldn't matter waht the peach's damage was>>shine combos up the ars3.

but yeah, neg damage it not something i would enjoy if Ness becomes high+ tier again. remember his pwn!ngz in SSB? it'll happen again, but this time he can't die. And they'll pro'ly give him a JC down+B...

IDK.

If it's in, i'll live with it. nothing bad, just superficial.

~Life

ImDaTroof

Smash Apprentice
I think it would be cool if characters like bowser or dede(if they're in the game), started each stock with negative damage to more balance out the game. Like you said, they can't be stunned but they can still be damaged, that would bring a whole new strategy to the game. I don't think it would be a good idea though if characters got negative % if they got life when they have 0%, fox or math with negative % would be really broken.

Galeon

Smash Ace
Could they still be grabbed? I'd assume so. Or maybe they'd break the grab instantly like they'd wiggled out really fast. If not, then it sounds like those characters are just asking to get chaingrabbed back to 0% and beyond. I like the idea though.

Kada

Smash Journeyman
I think that this is actually a really neat idea. But, there's something that everyone here needs to remember.

How many of you actually play with healing items anyway? I'm pretty sure that in any sort of competitive play, negative damage won't be a problem. No hearts or tomatos, no negative damage.

I can see this being fun for screwing around with a couple of friends at 4 AM in the morning, though.

RVD_fan

Smash Ace
I think it would be cool if characters like bowser or dede(if they're in the game), started each stock with negative damage to more balance out the game. Like you said, they can't be stunned but they can still be damaged, that would bring a whole new strategy to the game. I don't think it would be a good idea though if characters got negative % if they got life when they have 0%, fox or math with negative % would be really broken.
Hey you stole my avatar

Anyway, I don't think it would be broken

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
Only if healing items are balanced better. 50 and 100% are way too high. Maybe 10 and 20%. Then it would be balanced as it would top out at -20%.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
It's not like anyone is gonna even play with items so I don't see a reason to complain.

Melike

Smash Rookie
Yeah, you guys are right about it being broken, I didn't like the idea too much myself, but it might be applicable if the items have high healing qualities normally, but not nearly as high when you pick them up at 0%. It would also help to be able to en/disable it at the options screen.

Edit: Another idea would be to have different values depending on who picks it up. Say you pick it up with Bowser, you'd probably get -5% depending on the item. However, if Pikachu picks up the same item, he'll go considerably lower, like, -30%, because he's so lightweight. That sounds balanced enough.

Fire Fox X

Smash Apprentice
I personally like the idea, It puts more into healing items. I'll probably use items in the beginning, but then start training without them. But yeah, I like this idea.

cu00x19

Smash Apprentice

The idea is kinda in the air. Most peeps want -% and the competitive ones don't mind/want.

It sounds interesting, like perhaps some new crazy AR discoveries could arise, possibly make it in the next Perfect Control vid, or some other insane physics property.

Maybe i'm starting to like the idea of -%, but i'm not totally into the space animals with -% (fastfallers+marth/roy=chain throw to oblivion)...I mean, even at -999%, once you get grabbed, nothing you can do but DI, and that's very little.

I just think that -% means having 0% longer...in a way.

Myztek

Smash Ace
Or it could possible inverse your trajectory instead of causing you to not move.

And people need to stop whining about it being unbalanced. Go to item switch and turn what you don't want on off. There's a 99.99% chance it's not going to happen anyway.

Magnusblitz

Smash Apprentice
I don't see how this is broken. If you don't want items, don't play with them. Even if you are, the chances of you being at negative % would be fairly rare...and it's really not that hard to add 20% on someone with a few laser blasts or a smash or something, then bam, they're back to positive % and knockable.

Heavy Vulcan

Smash Rookie
It's a cool idea. Maybe instead of it being default, it can be a special melee type thing. Everyone can start at -100% instead of at 0 or something, almost like a reverse stamina mode! That sounds a lot better to me.

Cisne

Smash Apprentice
i dont think thats it is good to make chars that have -% unable to be moved.

But chars like bowser starting with that lil advantage (balancing it) would be sweet

But sakuraiwill remake every char to balance the game so...

Dylan , ssb is a party game for the 90 % ? of the smash comunity -.-
as long as u can turn they off its ok, can u tell me why u complain about every bit of newby gameplay ? -.-

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Dylan , ssb is a party game for the 90 % ? of the smash comunity -.-
as long as u can turn they off its ok, can u tell me why u complain about every bit of newby gameplay ? -.-
The answer to that question is most definatly ''Noob, go die'' ;)

No but seriously I dont want items removed for those that like them but I always though recovery hearts, tomatoes, etc were really lame, among the lamest of the items, but not quite as lame as the hammer or star.

Cisne

Smash Apprentice
are you talking about those players that only run across the stage waiting for a heart to appear ? i know its lame but there will be players like that , for ever -.-.

After months of serious gameplay , i NEED an item match to relax myself X_X

balanced chars , no need for -% ><

Melike

Smash Rookie
Well, like it's already been said, it could add a new level of strategy, trying to anticipate how much you'll have to hit your opponent. Then again, it could be saved for newbplay, or maybe just applied to events and bosses.

Fawriel

Smash Master
The more damage it takes to knock a character off-stage, the greater the advantage of "spikey" characters who kill in one hit.

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
I think it would be cool if characters like bowser or dede(if they're in the game), started each stock with negative damage to more balance out the game.
...Why don't you just make them heavier?

This is why I feel that negative damage would be completely broken. You can't touch something that suffers no knockback.

I didn't read all 3 pages of posts, so I'm sorry if I'm beeing repeditive.

Melike

Smash Rookie
I think it would be best if it were an unlockable to toy around with. There's no harm if there's an on/off switch, and professionals wouldn't use it anyway, but it might be a nice little extra.

PowerFox

Smash Cadet
i dont like the whole idea of this type of damage, i dont see the point of putting this on the
game

Sylasha

Smash Rookie
You can be at -100% damage and set knock back moves will still operate like normal. <3 Yoshi's d-tilt. About the idea, ehhh not gonna happen imo.

Top Bottom