• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Need your help!]Styles of Link v1.3 - (Updated) Oct. 22st 3:50~PM

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Please note:
I need help finishing Type 2: Aerials. Read what characters it does good against, and try to help me make a list of those characters. Anyone who would like to help finish Type 1: Zair, all help is welcome ^_^

If you would like to contribute please message Havokk or reply to this thread.

The Index

This is the Index. To quickly find a section, go to "Find" (Control+F on Windows) and copy and paste the {stuff inside and the bracket things}

Eg: "find" {u} to go to Updates.

To find which "Type" is used for what character type the characters name, or a part of it.

• Updates {u}
  • What Does Types of Play Show? {wdtops}
  • Terms To Know {ttk}
  • The Types of Play {ttop}
  • Type 1 {t1}
  • Type 2 {t2}
  • Type 3 {t3}
  • Type 4 {t4}
  • Type 5 {t5}
  • Type 6 {t6}

Updates
{u}

Updates on: Oct. 21st 7:30~ PM (v1.1)
  • Changed "Style" to "Type"
    (Style= Aggressive/Defensive/Adaptive)
  • List of opponents where each "Type" is generally more useful.
  • Character specific uses for each "Type" against each "Character" begun.
  • Information on Enemy Projectiles added.

Updates on: Oct. 21st 9:10~ PM (v1.2)
  • Added Terms To Know
  • Added "The Index"
  • Fixed formatting

Updates on: Oct. 22nd 3:50pm~ (v1.3)
  • Begun Type 2 Description remake and Character Analysis
  • Changed "The Characters" to "Character Analysis"
  • Allowed Characters to "overlap" Types. ( 1 Character may appear in several types )

Updates on: Oct. 24nd 9:00pm~ (v1.3)
  • Added Pit to "Ground Type"
  • Created a list of "Do Not Use"

What Does Types of Play Show? {wdtops}
  • A bad Link uses one of these types.
  • A good Link uses some of these types.
  • A great Link uses all of these types.

A bad Link will stick to one type throughout a match, they will not change it up and they will become predictable and be punished. Often they will even be using a style that will only make it easier for their opponent to approach them. They have much room for improvement, because there are many other types they must learn. They may win the first few matches against inexperienced players but they shouldn't count on winning often.

A good Link is somewhere in the middle between bad and great. They are more adaptive but still lack the ability to mix it up greatly in a match, they stick mainly to one type and switch it up when that isn't performing as well. This lack of knowing which type would do best against what type of characters often starts the Link at a stock disadvantage before they switch types. A good Link will win more often then a bad Link obviously, but they still lose often enough to not be considered "great".

A great Link uses, and may have "mastered", all of these types. They not only switch when a type is not working, but they switch just to switch! This keeps the unpredictability in the matchup, they are rarely "figured out" and win a great amount of their matches. They know which type will be hardest to get around for their opponent, and they exploit that. When they feel that the opponent is getting close to figuring it out, they switch types to a type that still works, but just not the best. They may still lose, but that is only showing that they still have room to improve.

Terms to Know {ttk}

In every guide, especially ones aimed at the "middle class" rather then beginners, you will often find terms that you may not know. This is just a small list, briefly covering important acronyms and "shortcuts" used in the guide.

Zair - Pressing the "Z" button in the air, or airdodging and pressing "A" quickly. This is used for Link, Toon Link, Samus, and Lucas. (Lucas' does not do damage) as a secondary recovery option.

Bair - Back air -Pressing the direction behind you + the "A" button while in air.

Fair - Foward Air - Pressing the direction in front of you + the "A" button while in air.

Nair - Neutral Air - Pressing just the "A" button while in air.

DAC/DACUS - Dash Attack Cancel/Dash Attack Cancelled Up Smash - This is an Advanced Technique, check the sticky for the Link Video Guide (made by Izaw)

Bombslide - Simply using the DAC/DACUS whilst holding a bomb.

Reverse Bombslide - I can't explain this, anyone wanna help?

Jump-Canceled Bomb Toss - Simply jumping and tossing the bomb immediately after (the toss happens so fast after you input the "jump" command, that you don't jump!) | I recommend using the c-stick so you can more easily throw it behind you/up.

Zair Edgehog - Using the Zair to regain invincibility frames. (Hold onto the ledge, hit back, then use Zair twice, quickly)

Invincibility Frames- Frames that you cannot be hit or hurt during.

SA Frames - Super Armour Frames - Frames that you can take damage, but you are not knocked back. (Eg: Wario Forward Smash, Charizard's Up- B)

AC - Arrow Cancel - Using "B" just before landing on the ground, this negates startup lag for shooting arrows.

BAL/BACL - Boomerang Arrow Lock/Boomerang Arrow Cancel Lock - Using the Boomerang to knock down your opponent, then either shooting an arrow or arrow canceling an arrow to "lock" your opponent.

Lock - This forces an opponent to get up without attacking or rolling. This allows you to follow up with anything since the opponent is basically "helpless"

Jab Lock - Using Link's first Jab (AAA combo) to "lock" an opponent. With practice you can entreatingly use the first Jab to lock to the edge of a stage.

Bomb Drop - Dropping a bomb by using "Z" or airdodging and quickly pressing "A"

ZDA - Zair Dropped Aerial - When holding a Bomb, press Z to drop the bomb and immediately perform an aerial, this catches the bomb and performs the aerial.

BHF- Bomb Holding Fsmash - When holding a Bomb, or while pulling it out, hold the "A" button. (if holding the bomb, first roll or sidestep). Using the C-stick, you can still use your Fsmash while holding the bomb. Release A to swing once, then tap it again to swing twice.

Sidestep - While holding shield, press Down.

The Types of Play
{ttop}

The "Types of Play" is not meant to be used as a Character Matchup.
Nor is it meant to say "this type is always better then that type".
It is merely a guideline to be used to help in certain matchups, and expand your way of playing.

All of "Character Specific" is done by "Aerial Approachers" "Projectile Campers" and "Ground Approachers". Aerial Approachers is seperated into "Nair", "Bair", and "Fair" because Dair/Uair should not be used to approach for the majority of the cast, if by anyone.

Type 1- Zair {t1}
Used against: Tall or/and Bulky Characters
( Rob, DDD, Snake, Ganon, DK, Bowser, Ike, Samus )

While the Zair is an Aerial move and should thus fall under "Aerials" it does not. The reasoning behind this is the fact that you may be the type to use Zair, but you don't actually use your other aerials, hence the Zair being its own "Type". The Zair also leads up to different setups then the "Aerials" type, another difference.

The Zair can lead to many combos and setups and is fantastic for spacing:
  • A Zair at around 100% knocks down your opponent, if they do not tech this landing you may be able to Craq Walk into a Jab Lock, or simply shoot an arrow to lock them.
  • The Zair outreaches everyone listed but Ike's Fair and Samus' Zair.
  • Zairing with a bomb in hand can lead to Zair > Bomb Throw > DAC
  • Always DI your Zair, don't just stay still in the air!
  • Zair > Zair > Bomb-Slide > Aerial
  • Zair > DAC
  • Zair > Grab > Pummel >> Fthrow/Bthrow >Dac >> Dthrow chaingrab.

( >> means "two options")

Example:
Combo Start >> Finish Option 1 >> Finish Option 2 )

Character Analysis

This assumes that you are on the defensive or the opponent is approaching you! However, you can use the knowledge of what to use Zair against to help you approach the enemy as well! (When to back out/throw a bomb/throw a boomerang, etc.)

:rob:R.O.B. :rob:

Aerial Approachers

Nair
Why in the world would a ROB approach with this move? Who knows, but they might! It has a slow start-up but beware, after start-up lag it is a quick move that covers almost an entire circle around ROB. No sane ROB would approach with this, but if they do. No worries, Zair outreaches it.
Sometimes they will approach from above (sometimes using their up-B) to avoid your projectiles and your Zair! If they are the type of ROB that approaches like this as a last resort, or quickly, you should switch "Types" because you won't be hitting with your Zair at all!

Fair
A quick attack that can create a Wall of Pain offstage, it can be a deadly move to a Link who is easily gimped. It's start-up lag is almost non-existent, but it has a relatively short reach, so you with some careful timing you can fend this off with Zair.

Bair
It has some start-up lag, but a very deceiving hitbox! Due to how this move affects ROB's aerial movements, hitting with a Zair with the "back" facing you is going to be hard, if not impossible. I suggest not using Zair to fend off a ROB who approaches with this. However, if the ROB is trying to mindgame you and uses the Bair while facing towards you (so the Flame is away), hitting with the Zair should be a piece of cake! If the ROB is using this, I suggest throwing a Bomb at them instead.

Projectile Campers

The Laser
  • It takes about 2 seconds to charge to "shootable", making this much harder to spam.
  • It takes a full 20 seconds to become fully charged.
  • It can be angled at 5 different angles. "High Up" "Mid Up" "Straight" "Mid Down" and "Low Down"
  • It goes through everything (doesn't get canceled by Hylian Shield unless it is not angled)
  • It can be easy to avoid, but hard to punish.

The Gyro
  • The Gyro can be charged.
  • The Gyro takes about 1.5 seconds to fully charge.
  • It shoots farther when charged, and it also shoots quicker.
  • The Gyro is extremely hard to be picked up on the ground, just avoid doing so.
  • The Gyro can be hopped over if you see it coming, if you shield the Gyro it dissipates allowing ROB to charge another, so try not to shield it.

So that covers the important info you should know about ROB's projectiles, notice how he has 2 projectiles that can't easily be spammed. You have 3 projectiles that can! You should approach with bombs and arrow cancels until you are close enough to Zair again.

Ground Approachers

If the ROB decides to approach on the ground, he is also at a disadvantage to your far-reaching Zair. ROB will have a difficult time approaching you, so let him come to you! This means playing Defensively (Read the "Advanced Link Guide, near the bottom")

:dedede:King DeDeDe :dedede:

Aerial Approachers

Nair
The hitbox for this is about the center of D3, so you will only need to worry about this if they are approaching from above you, otherwise a Zair should fix this problem.

Fair
It has quite a bit of start-up lag but has a hitbox that takes up all of the space in front of D3. You should see this move coming a mile away, but it is usually used from quite a bit above you. I suggest using a boomerang rather then using Zair.

Bair
This move is godlike for D3. It is strong, has good knockback and a "bad knockback" near the end hitboxes. This move is going to be used for the majority of approaches, and it is generally used two ways. It is Fastfalled from above you, or RAR'd at your height level. If it is fastfalled from above you, just get out of the way and throw a bomb. If it is going to be RAR'd you should knock them away with a Zair.

Projectile Campers

D3 only has 1 projectile. It is relatively slow, and hardly spammable. This is his Waddle Toss, however there are three forms!

Waddle Dee
  • The most harmless of the Waddle Toss.
  • Can attack if it jumps, so still knock these away when they are around you.
  • Most common type
  • Including Waddle Doo, there can only be two out at once.

Waddle Doo
  • Shoots a laser from its eye, don't get caught in this!
  • Does more damage then the Waddle Dee if it hits you before the ground.
  • Including Waddle Dee, there can only be two out at once.
  • Hit these away! The laser can rack up damage, and stun you enough for D3 to approach!

Gordo
  • The rarest to be seen.
  • Can kill you at higher percents, do not get hit by this!
  • Sometimes shielding this is better then trying to dodge it

It is easy to hit him while he is going to throw one and Zair, with its great reach, makes a great candidate for that punish hit, but the end lag can be quicker then many people think, if you are going to try and punish this move, punish before D3 throws the Waddle. A great way to clear Waddle's is to throw/drop a bomb onto them. A camping D3 should be no problem for a Link.

Ground Approachers

~Silly Link's, D3 doesn't approach on the ground xD~

(no info because I've never faced a "ground approaching" D3)

:snake:Snake :snake:

:ganondorf:Ganon :ganondorf:

:dk2:Donkey Kong :dk2:

:bowser2:Bowser :bowser2:

:ike:Ike :ike:

:samus2:Samus :samus2:

Type 2- Aerials
{t2}
Used against: Short Ranged and/or Low Priority Aerials
( ~In Production~ Mario, )

The Aerial type Link is always jumping around, constantly Shorthopping and Fastfalling with and without Aerials. The Aerial type Link includes all but Uair and Dair approachs (for obvious reasons).

Bair
  • Quick hitbox
  • First kick has no knockback
  • Second kick delivers the knockback
  • Auto-Cancels
  • Can be Arrow Canceled on landing if you start it while rising during a shorthop
  • Can perform two if you full hop the first one
  • Close-Range, decent to low priority.
  • May lead to a Craq Walked Ftilt/Fsmash

Nair
  • Quick hitbox
  • Auto-Cancels
  • Strongest when it first starts, weaker near the end hitboxes.
  • Great for gimping if hit with the "weak" hitbox.
  • Good Priority, decent range
  • Weak hit leads to utilt, jab combo, dsmash, or usmash
  • Strong hit may lead to DAC or Bombslide at lower %'s
  • Can be used from shield easily
  • Great for escaping combos

Fair
  • Has two "swings"
  • First swing has a more upwards trajectory, while the second has a more horizontal trajectory
  • Auto-Cancels
  • Can hit with both swings at lower %'s
  • First hit can lead to dsmash or utilt if auto-canceled.
  • Normally started from a full-hop to hit with the second swing (since it auto-cancels, and the second swing is "stronger")
  • Good range, good priority, slowish startup.

Now that you are a bit more familiar with your aerials, we can go into the "Character Analysis".

Character Analysis

~ In Production ~

:mario:Mario :mario:

~In Production~

Type 3- Locks {t3}
This style revolves around the boomerang to setup combos, especially using it to set up locks such as the BAL/BACL lock. You will be using Craq Walk to try and get a Jab Lock in often. Most of the match, your boomerang will be flying around stage. Your almost always in the air, throwing a boomerang or getting a bomb. You just want that opponent on the ground and nothing is going to stop you from reaching that goal. At higher %'s you may find yourself using Zair to hope for a non-teched landing. This is the style I personally use the most, as it works often because you cannot escape a good lock!

Type 4- Projectile Spam {t4}
A style that revolves around camping and projectile spam. This style works horribly against those with reflectors but excels versus those characters like Ganon. Many Link's find themselves using this style when they are feeling pressured, or are behind by a large % or a stock. A smart "style 4" user will make sure to mix up the boomerang >AC landing, pull-bomb > AC landing, the Double Arrow, and even the Triple arrow at times to keep their opponent away and feeling pressured by projectiles. I look down upon this style myself, and only use it as a last resort.

Type 5 - Ground Based
{t5}
I noticed Legan used this a lot vs me, it revolves around the Craq Walk, and the smooth boot (if you practice it, I didn't see much of this from Legan) to quickly approach your opponent. It is really confusing for a long time due to the weird look of the Craq Walk. You will also find yourself using the Angelic Step (Demonic Step/w/e) (side-step, hold back, push forwards when you turn around) into tilts. This style works very well against players who are used to the other style of Links. I have not seen this style used by anyone besides Legan. This style can also get old quickly, like Style 2 so you may find yourself switching mid-match often.

Type X {t6}
An adaptive, quick learning, mastered style that uses all of the above 5 styles, I would consider this "perfection of Link". This is something I am aiming towards achieving, as I do suggest other Link's to do. The reason is because sticking to one main style gets predictable during a match, and you will start to get punished. This style always keeps your opponent on their toes and trying to avoid you. Awesome at keeping pressure on your opponent, while almost always being on the offensive, but with a strong and quick defense.

SuSa

I am Style 3, and I go up to Style 1 when I need to be more defensive, or I feel pressured.

I'm working on my ground game, Craq walking tilts/smashes isn't something I always think of...

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I play a more aerial style Link and that is exactly why my Link isn't very good.

AmigoOne

Smash Journeyman
Probably 2 and 4... next closest would be 5. Im not that even good at spamming, how sad is that.

4Serial

Smash Lord
I use z-air whenever I have to for approaching and playing defensive, but I think I could improve on it more, knowing when to use it better. In Link dittos, I always lose the z-air wars vs other Links lol, or get a boomerang/bomb to the face.

I think I gotta get quicker with n-air out of shield and stuff, but maybe that's just wifi. I just use n-air a lot on shields > jabs or u-tilt or grab. I use retreating f-airs for playing defensive. B-air to chase people in the air. You can't really shffl u-air and d-air.. i guess you can fullhop autocancel u-airs for decent juggling, but it rarely kills <_< D-air's good for reading airdodges and surprising people.

If it's a serious match, I guess I wouldn't take the risk and go for locks, but I go for it all the time in friendlies. I think locks are going to help Link a lot in the future, but it's somewhat hard to practice because you can only practice set up and situations against real players. Gotta work on consistency with the jab lock though.

I use projectiles just to find openings for combos and stuff lol.. excessively camping isn't fun for anyone.

I'm guessing grounded style is just movement with ATs and maneuverability? I noticed it when I started playing a few months ago vs Blubba and I think Legan.. They're movement around the stage is really amazing and it keeps them in control and it makes it look like Link is incredibly fast. They're aggressively attacking you, and controlling the stage at the same time. They make it so that your options are limited and they can read your movements. It's probably the most important skill to have imo.

I'd say Deva was a combination of 1, 4 and 5. Smart use of z-airs, strong projectile game, and simple-yet effective-stage control.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
My Link playing was better one month ago when I utilized the Gale Boomerang to f*ck up my friends and perform Gale Returns. Lately, I've been moving towards the "Lock Playing Style", which is bad because I've only really Jab Locked my friends once. On my doubles team with a Lucas, I play as Kirby and our jab lock set-up has me using Kirby's Jab which throws me off whenever I go back and play Link. >_> I've also been playing melee more lately, and I find myself trying to jab lock people whenever they're knocked down. It's becoming a really bad habit....

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
I find myself a 4 + X

I counter the reflectors and such by pulling a bomb, short hop to gale, second jump, air dodge(the reflected rang), zair, bomb, ftilt or fsmash or DAC.

If Link's recovery matched TL he would be mid-high tier. I find myself able to adapt to any situation with him.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
Style X is what I strive for, but at first I played a style 4 and over time I developed a close range with spot dodges, SH aerials, ZACs, jab cancels and mid-range with zair, and my spacing has gotten better with pivot boosting and craq walking. I like to frustrate my opponents with smart projectile spam, and surprise them with a different style once they approach. Generally, I try to switch from offense to defense or defense to offense at the most appropriate times and alternate spacing (w/movement ATs) between mid-range to long-range for projectile set-ups, or mid-range to close-range for some **** combos including jab canceling, aerials, etc. and KOs. Another thing I would like to add, depending on the match-up, you will have to play differently than what you normally do for other or most characters.

ArdeS

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure any Link player with a good amount of experience has some sort of 'Style X' in them.
In my cases, if I'm fighting a DK, DDD, or Bowser, obviously my style will change to Style 1 (Z-Air). If we're fighting a ROB, a little more Style 4 (Projectiles) will be in our game.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Style X, tho I need to work on 3. I'm kinda new to Link, but I find his game to not only be pretty technical, but fun and awesome.

Bouse

Smash Ace
Let me put this a little clearer.

If you exclude any of the above types of gameplay from your Link "style", you're an idiot. Nintenjoe's lists are a bit better with the offensive/defensive/adaptive Link playstyles.

It makes no sense for a Link to not spam projectiles against someone without them, like Ike. Or, to not Zair a big target like DK, Bowser, or Snake.

It would be one thing if this list was similar to "schools of martial arts", but it's not. It's just naming Link's abilities and sectioning them into a list saying, "This is what you do if you like to play in the air!"

Just a silly and pointless list. I guess some people had fun pointing at the list and going "OMG! I USE THOSE! I HAVE A PLAYSTYLE!" To be completely honest, it's more of a "to play Link effectively you should practice." Otherwise if you only use 2 of these... you can't even accomplish much without Deva-like reflexes.

Hell, I use most of these like Arrow Canceling. I also SH Bair-->Craqed Ftilt or RAC. To say that this is some amazingly masterful level of play known as the "Style X" is absurd.

I'm starting a new style of Link. I call it "Style Q". It's like "Style X" but I punch my opponent in his face until he's hospitalized. They never see it coming.

It would be wiser for you to have more of a "discussion" about the topic. Instead of just blurting out aspects of the character and defining them as styles of play.

It's like saying "I'm a 'D-smash style' G&W player."

You rarely see people say, "I'm a 'Uair style' G&W player."

Blow ya, 'till ya die.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I'm probably a mix of 2 and 4 and a bit of 5. I need to work on my ground game a bit, not to much though.

Edit: Wait, Bouse, did you just troll? :O And I thought you were the funny guy. Why so serious?

SuSa

If you exclude any of the above types of gameplay from your Link "style", you're an idiot. Nintenjoe's lists are a bit better with the offensive/defensive/adaptive Link playstyles.

It makes no sense for a Link to not spam projectiles against someone without them, like Ike. Or, to not Zair a big target like DK, Bowser, or Snake.

It would be one thing if this list was similar to "schools of martial arts", but it's not. It's just naming Link's abilities and sectioning them into a list saying, "This is what you do if you like to play in the air!"

Just a silly and pointless list. I guess some people had fun pointing at the list and going "OMG! I USE THOSE! I HAVE A PLAYSTYLE!" To be completely honest, it's more of a "to play Link effectively you should practice." Otherwise if you only use 2 of these... you can't even accomplish much without Deva-like reflexes.

Hell, I use most of these like Arrow Canceling. I also SH Bair-->Craqed Ftilt or RAC. To say that this is some amazingly masterful level of play known as the "Style X" is absurd.

I'm starting a new style of Link. I call it "Style Q". It's like "Style X" but I punch my opponent in his face until he's hospitalized. They never see it coming.

It would be wiser for you to have more of a "discussion" about the topic. Instead of just blurting out aspects of the character and defining them as styles of play.

Blow ya, 'till ya die.
Watch how you play. Most players will use one of these styles far more then any other.

I try my best to abuse locks, when that works poorly I switch to zair, if that works even worse I projectile spam.

I am not saying "this is all you will use" because of course thats ********. I'm giving examples of the styles, such as the Craq Walking is more ground-based seeing as it makes approaches quickly, you wouldn't craq walk much (if at all) if you used the zair style.

Hell, I use the lock style and I didn't use a single Craq Walk on purpose until I fought Legan, because I saw no use for it. As a Zair/Lock person, I find myself rarely using smashes. I probably use my utilt more then ANY of my smashes, due to smashes don't set up great lock choices.

Each of these styles can be used aggressively, defensively, and adaptively, and each style can be modified a bit.

This is more of a "look at yourself, and look at all these other fancy options to choose from".

Watching Legan, he is extremely groundbased. He doesn't use zair often, he uses boomerang and arrows to an extenet, and he uses a lot of bombs > aerial. But most of his playstyle revolves around being on the ground.

Watching myself, I'm always in the air, always shorthopping and fullhopping my boomerang and sometimes an aerial. My main approach and defense is my boomerang. I don't think in a 3 minute match that my boomerang is ever not out for more then 10 seconds upon returning unless its hurting more then helping.

Watching Swordplay, he uses projectile camping and aerial approachs well, but his groundgame, zairs, and going for locks doesn't really happen at all, or often.

Looking at what you perform the most, and realizing it is one step closer to being able to change it.

It's like an AA meeting. Your not really saying "I'm the beer type" or "I'm the wine type" your saying what is your problem (in this case, overusing one of the styles) and realizing that there are alternatives that you can use. Those who truly want to be the best will break their habits and try to adapt each style into their gameplay. This "Style X" is the perfect balance and harmony of the above styles.

tl;dr Long post is long, read it?

Wafflez

Smash Journeyman
Ah, returning to the Link boards, it's nice to see all the bad threads and spam cleared up. And hell, looks like Legan has even returned. Anywho, onto the topic:

I'm mostly Style 2 mixed with a hint of Style 5 at times. I'm working on incorporating Style 1 more into my game, and I use Style 4 when I'm either trying to buy some time (and damage) or trapped, or sandbagging. Me, I'm not a good enough player to know how to use Style 3, I still try but rarely do I suceed.

Style X is supposed to be the ideal playstyle of Link, the perfection, huh?...
Well, I'm really terrible at Link, so I'll have to keep in mind that I need to Zair, Lock and projectile spam more effectively, because I feel too much of my playstyle revolves around the Utilt, Nair and Fsmash.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Well, I'm really terrible at Link, so I'll have to keep in mind that I need to Zair, Lock and projectile spam more effectively, because I feel too much of my playstyle revolves around the Utilt, Nair and Fsmash.
Omg, that's just like me (except for the terrible at Link part >_>)! I use a lot of Nair and my over abused tilt is Utilt! But I use more Dtilt. But I projectile spam like a monster. And I hardly Zair (which I need to do <_< Grr, I need to stop playing against Samus's for awhile. It's that longer Zair that scares me away from using it :( ) So, welcome back. And yes, Legan returned. There was no reason to leave in the first place. You just gotta suck it up! XD And use the report button. :p

O.T.L

Smash Apprentice

Blow ya, 'till ya die.
I agree with this.

Any good link uses all of these.

O.T.L

Smash Apprentice
Watch how you play. Most players will use one of these styles far more then any other.

I try my best to abuse locks, when that works poorly I switch to zair, if that works even worse I projectile spam.

I am not saying "this is all you will use" because of course thats ********. I'm giving examples of the styles, such as the Craq Walking is more ground-based seeing as it makes approaches quickly, you wouldn't craq walk much (if at all) if you used the zair style.

Hell, I use the lock style and I didn't use a single Craq Walk on purpose until I fought Legan, because I saw no use for it. As a Zair/Lock erson, I find myself rarely using smashes. I probably use my utilt more then ANY of my smashes, due to smashes don't set up great lock choices.

Each of these styles can be used aggressively, defensively, and adaptively, and each style can be modified a bit.

This is more of a "look at yourself, and look at all these other fancy options to choose from".

Watching Legan, he is extremely groundbased. He doesn't use zair often, he uses boomerang and arrows to an extenet, and he uses a lot of bombs > aerial. But most of his playstyle revolves around being on the ground.

Watching myself, I'm always in the air, always shorthopping and fullhopping my boomerang and sometimes an aerial. My main approach and defense is my boomerang. I don't think in a 3 minute match that my boomerang is ever not out for more then 10 seconds upon returning unless its hurting more then helping.

Watching Swordplay, he uses projectile camping and aerial approachs well, but his groundgame, zairs, and going for locks doesn't really happen at all, or often.

Looking at what you perform the most, and realizing it is one step closer to being able to change it.

It's like an AA meeting. Your not really saying "I'm the beer type" or "I'm the wine type" your saying what is your problem (in this case, overusing one of the styles) and realizing that there are alternatives that you can use. Those who truly want to be the best will break their habits and try to adapt each style into their gameplay. This "Style X" is the perfect balance and harmony of the above styles.

tl;dr Long post is long, read it?
I agree with this too! lol

Both of you guys are looking at this from diffrent angles. Bouse is looking at the noobs point of view and your looking at this more of a pros view. I think less people are seeing this from your view though.

SuSa

Updated first post. It now explains this in a "better light" so that everyone should fully understand why this was posted.

It was posted to reflect upon yourself, as many of you have done by simply stating "I use style "#" and sometimes use style "#". "

However, that was not the entire purpose of this post. This post was to show why good players are good, and bad players are... well bad... As a few of you stated "this is common sense, a good Link would use all of these styles", and that is where my second point lays. A great Link would be able to use all of these styles well, and never depend on one or two to win a match.

/ end seriousness

That is why I'm a good Link. Not a great one :)

Bouse

Smash Ace
I'm looking at it from the:

This is common knowledge which has been posted over and over again in other threads, so why did you feel the need to post it yet one more time...

point of view.

It's clutter.

If he were to provide a definitive "style" of play then it would count to call it as such. He's just naming "styles" which pigeon-hole people into being sub-par players. The thread should be designed more to be a self-evaluation for Link players if he wanted it to be as such. More like, "setting the goal" instead of saying that you should just drop these techniques in a blender, drink it, and then become amazing.

Redesign the thread and maybe it'll be worth a read. Here's a few ideas:

Show when those "styles" would be useful against specific characters, and say how to implement them. You can do worlds upon worlds with just projectiles, so that section should be massive. Like Bomb-sliding for approaches, RBSing for spacing. The ground game is just written so vaguely it could mean anything.

For the record, you can have a "style" of play based on probably only a few of these:

1. Craq/Pivot Boosting/Jab Cancel Tricks (loldtlit)
2. Projectiles/Locks/Wave-bouncing
3. Aerials and Zair Spacing.

Zair is usable only in the air... hrm... wonder what that makes it. *cough*
Locks are initiated with a boomerang which is a...

To be completely honest, if anything these are more "Schools of Thought" than they are styles.

I'd appreciate an honest attempt at bringing something to the Link community, instead of regurgitating our own crap and telling us it's Fillet Mignon.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=173703

Like this one? I dunno, 'cept this is the one I made for the Lucario boards. It is a hybrid of a matchup thread, a playstyle thread, and stuff. Not the most specific on matchups, but since there was a more in-depth matchup thread already, I didn't see the point beyond highlighting key bits against certain matchups, since it was mainly geared towards emerging/beginner/noob players.

SuSa

I'm looking at it from the:

This is common knowledge which has been posted over and over again in other threads, so why did you feel the need to post it yet one more time...

point of view.

It's clutter.

If he were to provide a definitive "style" of play then it would count to call it as such. He's just naming "styles" which pigeon-hole people into being sub-par players. The thread should be designed more to be a self-evaluation for Link players if he wanted it to be as such. More like, "setting the goal" instead of saying that you should just drop these techniques in a blender, drink it, and then become amazing.

Redesign the thread and maybe it'll be worth a read. Here's a few ideas:

Show when those "styles" would be useful against specific characters, and say how to implement them. You can do worlds upon worlds with just projectiles, so that section should be massive. Like Bomb-sliding for approaches, RBSing for spacing. The ground game is just written so vaguely it could mean anything.

For the record, you can have a "style" of play based on probably only a few of these:

1. Craq/Pivot Boosting/Jab Cancel Tricks (loldtlit)
2. Projectiles/Locks/Wave-bouncing
3. Aerials and Zair Spacing.

Zair is usable only in the air... hrm... wonder what that makes it. *cough*
Locks are initiated with a boomerang which is a...

To be completely honest, if anything these are more "Schools of Thought" than they are styles.

I'd appreciate an honest attempt at bringing something to the Link community, instead of regurgitating our own crap and telling us it's Fillet Mignon.
:urg: See what you mean (lol I re-read my stuffz)

Going through a make-over, somewhat between a character matchups/playstyle/suggestions for types sort of thread.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
Wow, nice update. This is turning out to be a pretty awesome thread.

I like the change. Between this, Bouse's thread, and the video archive, we have a great deal of information to help guide us through unfamiliar match-ups.

SuSa

@Bouse

OMFG A GIANT COOKIE *gobbles cookie*

Anyways, I see how vague I really was hence the update. It will still revolve around the types (rather then my misused "style" term) to show why that style will fend off "x" character the best.

@ Metro Knight

Swordplay

Smash Lord
At first I thought this was useless.

But Now I don't think so. Interested in how the final product will look.

Legan

Smash Lord
Im kinda dissapointed you have me as soley a ground based link just from our wifi matches. My playstyle would definately fall under X. I use all the styles and my link is also very aerial. I just use my ground game alot on wifi because input delay makes it impossible to jump, and zair efficiently. If you've seen any of my vids or played me offline you'd know that I know how to adapt to anything. All in all a very nice summary of playstyles though.

SuSa

Im kinda dissapointed you have me as soley a ground based link just from our wifi matches. My playstyle would definately fall under X. I use all the styles and my link is also very aerial. I just use my ground game alot on wifi because input delay makes it impossible to jump, and zair efficiently. If you've seen any of my vids or played me offline you'd know that I know how to adapt to anything. All in all a very nice summary of playstyles though.
Read where it is based off my opinion and who I've played.

In our matches you played an awesome ground-based playstyle. I know you know how to adapt and use the other styles, I'm sure you do :) . But from what I have seen in our matches; my personal experience; you are a ground-based Link. That is not all you do, but it is what I have seen.

ps: Youtube fails me often :\ (search won't search, and vids won't load sometimes)

I'm sorry if I offended by saying you were a ground based Link, thats just what I saw the majority of. I don't think I said "soley" a ground-based Link, and if I did I'll go change that. (Made this thread when I was tired :3 so except for what was re-done, its pretty...off...)

monkeyx4

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3936 9382 6790
i'm aiming for style x i need to do the craq walk a lot more :(

❀W.E.M.P.❀

Mote Of Dust
Amazing thread! It seems almost more useful to hear about other peoples styles than anything else :p. i would say that currently I am a mix between 1,2, and 4. i am training ( I am sure too much, atleast 5 hours a day the pro's in Houston say I'm crazy @_@ ) currently on mastering craq walking/pivot boosting and jab locking ( I actually am curious on some vet. link's opinions. which should I invest in learning first craq or jab lock?? I figured craqing/pivot boosting since I felt I should know everything link can do before i try to infinite people :p ), they seem pretty sick to pull.

Top Bottom