• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Against ike, hit him when he whiffs an attack. he's got lots of cool down. Most of his stuff you can easily **** w/ a shield as well. Use projectiles because ike has a tough time getting around them.

You can try attacking the tornado from directly above,or w/ an extremely disjointed attack. Otherwise, shield it, and tilt your shield up as it gets smaller.

Gao~

Smash Cadet
i want SCOTU to answer my question =/

basically my friend is a space animal, i can't hit him but he can hit me, match up info helped but not to assure my victory. my patience is great now and analyzing him is a little easier. the problem isn't the character but he himself. he chooses a variety of characters and basically does the same thing, please help me on this ^_^ thanks!

Trophyhunter

Smash Apprentice
Obviously somewhere where, you havn't been
Ya, I have a question I've stumbled upon a combo using lucas' up A like 4 times to deal damage then setting them up for an Up C kill right as they fall.. and so far it works best on Meta Knight, Marth, and Toon Link but I need to know is this a good combo?

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
I've recently been trying to learn how to do Smash Directional Influence and Tap Directional Influence. I know it is necessary to repeatedly tap, Tap directional influence, but is it necessary to do the same with smash directional influence, or do I just need to hold the C-Stick in the direction? Also I've been trying to practice with smart bombs. Is there any reason why when I try to smash + tap DI out of the blast, that it sends my character in a small arc in the opposite direction in which I end up falling back into the blast?

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
Yeah I have a Question

I have a small question. Its more about just Smash World Forums though.

I was scrolling down the main page when something caught my eye. The "Smash Senate."

What is the smash senate?

I apologize if this feeds spam or something.

Cero

Smash Lord
Ya, I have a question I've stumbled upon a combo using lucas' up A like 4 times to deal damage then setting them up for an Up C kill right as they fall.. and so far it works best on Meta Knight, Marth, and Toon Link but I need to know is this a good combo?
Ummm... No. It's pretty easy to DI out of his up-tilt (up A).
This probably won't work on real opponents.

I've recently been trying to learn how to do Smash Directional Influence and Tap Directional Influence. I know it is necessary to repeatedly tap, Tap directional influence, but is it necessary to do the same with smash directional influence, or do I just need to hold the C-Stick in the direction? Also I've been trying to practice with smart bombs. Is there any reason why when I try to smash + tap DI out of the blast, that it sends my character in a small arc in the opposite direction in which I end up falling back into the blast?
The Physics of Attacks (DI included) updated: 1/09/09
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=155409

SCOTU

Smash Hero
i want SCOTU to answer my question =/

basically my friend is a space animal, i can't hit him but he can hit me, match up info helped but not to assure my victory. my patience is great now and analyzing him is a little easier. the problem isn't the character but he himself. he chooses a variety of characters and basically does the same thing, please help me on this ^_^ thanks!
Play the game more. Don't miss. Missing means you don't hit, and they hit you. There's nothing more that can be said for such a vague question.

I'm pretty sure not even 2 utilts combo into each other, but i could be wrong at low %s. Opponents can easily jump out of that, air dodge out of that, attack you out of that, or DI out of that. There's only a few things in the game that can combo into a lucas up smash, and none of them are on Lucas. (i.e. ZSS dsmash).

"Tap DI" is a pointless term that simply refers to repeated SDIs.

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
@SCOTU: I was under the impression that Tap DI refers to using the control stick while Smash DI referred to using the C-Stick. Have I been misinformed? Does that also mean that using both sticks [C-Stick and Control Stick] is no more effective than just using one or the other?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
@SCOTU: I was under the impression that Tap DI refers to using the control stick while Smash DI referred to using the C-Stick. Have I been misinformed? Does that also mean that using both sticks [C-Stick and Control Stick] is no more effective than just using one or the other?
Smash DI refers to the mechanic of gaining a small teleport during hitlag through an active input. Using two sticks on the same frame is no more effective, but if you're using the two sticks at different times (larger than 1F --maybe 2F-- difference), then it's more effective.

Dont.Forget.To.Smile

Smash Rookie
if i grab my enemy and manage to land multiple grab attacks before throwing them, does each one count towards refreshing the 10-move stale attack window? or is it just one, for the whole throw?

what if my attack gets shielded? what if my attack 'clanks' with my enemies attack? do they count towards those 10 moves?

do moves stale in single player modes (classic, all-star, boss battles)? i know they dont in training mode.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Each grab attack and throw count as separate moves in the 9 move queue.
Shields and clashes don't count.
iirc, 1P modes don't stale in general.

Beren Zaiga

Smash Ace
What is a good way to get defense into my game? I rarely use it as is, because mainly my timing with it stinks, and whenever I do Shield, or Sidestep; I end up getting the opponent's sword, foot, fist, head, etc shoved up my arse. Rolling is no better either, and I just plain have to have luck to even think of using Ukemi. What can I do to make these things a more active part of my game?

XienZo

Smash Lord
Oh, pummels don't stale if you attack so rapidly you keep hitting them in their hitstun. Multi-hit moves also only stale once per use because of that.

Gao~

Smash Cadet
another question....i think i found my problem...i find many many openings to hit my opponent with a smash attack but i MISS about 85% of the time. its driving my crazy! (i smash attack the traditional way, NOT with C-stick) i end up dash attacking, FTILTing or even neutral A attacking! how can i stop this? is it my timing? or is it a bad habit? i don't think its really me....it didn't happen often before....please help! thanks :)

rehab

Smash Journeyman
Those apply to char-specific changes between games in one franchise. Buff is a change that makes a particular thing about a character stronger, a nerf does the opposite. From melee to brawl, Falcon's knee hitbox is now smaller, so he got nerfed in that regard, while Game and Watch's smashes got stronger, so he got buffed in that regard.

@Gao if you're dash attacking you could just be hitting A too late, hit the stick and button at the exact same time to get a smash, practice it until you're sick of it and can't possibly mess it up. If you're tilting, slide the stick faster. If you're jabbing, it's not registering that you're hitting the stick at all, so something weird is going on I guess.

Fast control movement + A button as you're moving the stick = smash.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
Yeah, C-Stick is fastest.

If you're intent on not using the C-Stick because you want to charge your smash (although if you do, your opponent can just get away) then...well...obviously hit the control stick in a direction and hit A at the same time. Yeah. Best advice I can give. I think hitting the control stick slightly before hitting A helps and still lets you do a smash attack.

All I can say is practice or use C-Stick.

Beren Zaiga

Smash Ace
Asking this again.

What is a good way to get defense into my game? I rarely use it as is, because mainly my timing with it stinks, and whenever I do Shield, or Sidestep; I end up getting the opponent's sword, foot, fist, head, etc shoved up my arse. Rolling is no better either, and I just plain have to have luck to even think of using Ukemi. What can I do to make these things a more active part of my game, and what is a good way to practice them for power-shielding?

rehab

Smash Journeyman
What is a good way to get defense into my game? I rarely use it as is, because mainly my timing with it stinks, and whenever I do Shield, or Sidestep; I end up getting the opponent's sword, foot, fist, head, etc shoved up my arse. Rolling is no better either, and I just plain have to have luck to even think of using Ukemi. What can I do to make these things a more active part of my game, and what is a good way to practice them for power-shielding?
You almost always want to use ukemi when you're hit to the ground, since it makes you invincible and gives you movement control. If you're having trouble actually teching the ground on reaction due to reaction speed, the way to get better at it is just to recognize when an attack has sent you flying to the point where you'll have to tech the ground to land right, which is most of the time after you've been hit and are landing in falling animation. If you don't have to tech, hitting a shoulder button the moment before you meet the ground isn't going to hurt you anyway. Pretty much just practice makes better.

You want to get your shield up, and keep holding it up, before the attack meets you, obviously. Out of your shield, with no lag, you can grab by pressing A or jump by just jumping. This makes a ton of attacks punishable after having blocked them in many different ways, and is very important to almost anybody's game. Learn what your character's options are out of shield and go nuts with them.

Rolling in the general direction of the other guy is usually a bad idea regardless of your situation, just try to use it to get away from stuff, which it's good for.

ExCeL 52

Smash Lord
Space your attacks more... Use a character that can use projectiles.
Side Step, Shield...

Play Lvl 9 Computers they Spam ALOT so that should help your defensive problems.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Space your attacks more... Use a character that can use projectiles.
Side Step, Shield...

Play Lvl 9 Computers they Spam ALOT so that should help your defensive problems.
Almost correct, except its better to practice on level 3's. Learn which moves are good for spacing your opponene tand retreating, and play against projectile characters to powershield and get it into muscle memory.

Link2112

Smash Rookie
Ok, sorry if this is the wrong place but i dont have a lot of time and i couldn't find the place for this sort of thing. Anyways, what does "DI" mean? Also "AT" i used to know that one but forgot. Again sorry, but i would really like to know what these mean.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Ok, sorry if this is the wrong place but i dont have a lot of time and i couldn't find the place for this sort of thing. Anyways, what does "DI" mean? Also "AT" i used to know that one but forgot. Again sorry, but i would really like to know what these mean.
DI is directional influence, and AT is short for advanced technique.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
then put a better OS on your machine.

ICs CG is the Ice Climber's Chain Grab, which where if one grabs you, they simply throw you, and the other catches you before you go anywhere. If done properly, it is inescapable, and can be taken from 0-death.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Frankly, I'm not sure where else to ask this, but I'm in need of a thread that I can't find anymore. I remember reading it on the character boards, but I'm not sure which one. In the thread was an in-depth look at attack damage %, and how much % damage the attack is after every usage of it (accounting for stale moves) up to, I think, 9 usages. Does anybody know which thread I'm looking for?

ColinJF

Smash Ace
This probably isn't the thread you were thinking of, but this thread by AA and me has the exact mechanics for damage decay if you scroll down to "Stale Move Multiplier". Using the formula there you can figure out how much damage the move will do, given an arbitrary stale move queue.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
stalling = wasting time. Usually for the purpose of running out the match timer to win by percent lead.

Gimping = KOing someone at an early percent, typically w/ a weak hit that makes them lose their recovery ability, such as a low percent edgeguard.

Beren Zaiga

Smash Ace
then put a better OS on your machine.

ICs CG is the Ice Climber's Chain Grab, which where if one grabs you, they simply throw you, and the other catches you before you go anywhere. If done properly, it is inescapable, and can be taken from 0-death.
Another thing I forgot to mention. We have a G4 currently, and apparently, according to my dad (I am in high school), G4s can't run the newest OSX version.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Another thing I forgot to mention. We have a G4 currently, and apparently, according to my dad (I am in high school), G4s can't run the newest OSX version.
We're getting OT.... but the latest Mac OS X (10.5, ie. "Leopard") does run on many G4 systems.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_v10.5#System_requirements

However, it's not what I'd call a "better" OS (I recommend linux, myself), but regardless I don't think it would solve your flash player problem. The official flash implementation has an unfortunate history of being tied to 32-bit x86, and alternative implementations are lacking because of flash's history of being closed (in source and specification); although both aspects have been loosening up more recently.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Vista, Linux, and OSX Leopard are all valid choices for good OS'

After using all of them for school, I have enough experience to say that the difference is just personal preference. For instance, I run Windows for Visual Studio (because i prefer that 1000x over g++) and Adobe Production Studio. If i didn't care about those two things, it'd be just as fine for me to run a good distribution of linux.

Anyone who says that one of these 3 is better than others is just being elitist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom