• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need Help with English Homework

Veggi

Smash Champion
I have to make a 5-paragraph essay for English Homework today, however I do not main Captain Falcon and ironically my disc was broken by a disc fixer (the game was playable before the "fixing" however, some characters were not playable without disc error.)

Anyway, I thought "What better way to make this essay nicely, than asking the Falcon mains themselves?" There are probably a ton of things wrong with this, so point them out as they are. So I'll type up a hopefully amusing and informative essay. I have to compare and contrast two things in an obnoxious format, so to make my night not total suckage I decided to base the project on two epic things.

FALCON PUNCH VS. FALCON KICK!!!

Many wonder which of Captain Falcon's signature moves is superior to it's contender, I am here to debate that they both are infact attacks that have a level of practicality that is indeterminable through experience with both of the moves and are ideally used in conjunction with each other as represented below. Captain Falcon is a character from the F-ZERO franchise and appears as a selectable character in the video game "Super Smash Bros. Brawl." Due to being from a racing game he had no moves to take from his games, so his attacks are modeled after his racing machine the Blue Falcon. The move set he has is flashy, and his car and title are the namesakes of his two signature moves. Those moves are the Falcon Kick and the Falcon Punch, they both have similar special effects. However, their performance is divided among different situations. The functions of each attack are weighed depending on how they aid the character using them, with the main goal of launching the opposing character off of the screen where he loses a stock, or life. He is then transported back to the stage on a hovering platform, until he runs out of stocks. This leads to an intense, King-of-the-Hill-esque play. Damage building is a key factor in Smash Brothers, because the more damage the opponent has, the farther the opponent will soar upon being hit. Knock-back is a necessity for knocking out, or "KO"ing, the opposing player: You must decide what move to use based on the different directions and amount of knock back his moves have, and thus they can lead into different strings of attacks. Last, but far from least is your style, a gauge of how impressive you look to the people you play with. Having a good style persuades others to show you their moves another time.

While the Falcon Punch while extremely hard to land on an a fully functional opponent, it does a whopping 26% damage to whoever comes in contact with it. The move is best used on an opponent trying to get back on to the stage, where they are frequently the most vulnerable. Since the battles in-game take place on top of a platform floating in the sky, this happens very often. If a Falcon Punch is reversed it makes it easier to fool the opponent into being hit by it. Also, this new reversed attack does more damage than a standard one. A little known trait of the reversed Falcon Punch is that it can be used to help the Captain gain horizontal momentum in the air. Using the Falcon Kick causes Captain Falcon to shoot along the ground with his foot extended. The Falcon Kick is a much more viable way to approach the opponent than the Falcon Punch, which is too obvious and slow to hit an opponent who knows how to play the game well. While its damage is not quite as impressive as that of the Falcon Punch, the Falcon Kick still does 12% which is a considerable amount for an attack of its speed. Sadly, neither attack is very reliable because they do not have enough priority to break through other character's attacks consistently. The Falcon Punch can even be broken by Pikachu's Skull Bash attack, which is notorious for having bad priority. When used in the air the Falcon Kick sends the Captain rocketing downwards at an angle, which can catch the opponent off-guard, and also to get to the edge of the stage quicker, because once the opponent knocks Captain Falcon into the air, he becomes quite vulnerable. The damage of the Falcon Punch also decreases than that of the Falcon Kick, so it's best to use the Falcon Punch sparingly.

Knock-back is a strange trait of moves, where the opponent will be sent flying in diverse directions depending on the move. For example, the knock-back of the Falcon Kick sends the opponent upwards at an angle that makes it possible to follow up with some of Captain Falcon's air moves. The most notable of these is the "Knee of Justice" which is an attack that has a sweet-spot on his knee, meaning that if he doesn't land the move head on, the attack will do very low damage and knock-back, but, if Captain Falcon does land the sweet-spot of the move, an exhilarating effect of lightning surrounds the victim and the game pauses for a moment, only to see the opponent rocket off the screen a split second later. One move that is all about knock-back is the Falcon Punch. It will KO the opponent at early percents, and while it does not lead into any moves, it does provide the perfect opportunity to use Falcon's signature taunt: "Show me your moves!" Using a Falcon Punch is so epic that it does not need any other moves to follow it and may only be complimented by Captain Falcon's signature taunt and the sound of each character's unique noise they make when they are KO'd off the side of the screen. The cry of the character Metaknight, from the Kirby video game series, is the most satisfying to hear because no one likes to play against him. The Falcon Kick is close to useless for knocking the opponent off-screen if it is used as a standard move. However, the alternative use for the Falcon Kick is to use it while off-stage, because if the Captain nails the opponent with the rapid downward kick, they are meteor smashed (so named because of the extreme downwards knock-back), and the opponent has a low chance to escape. While there are alternative ways to KO the opponent, landing the Falcon Punch is the most manly way, and it is only honorable to defeat the opponent in the most manly way. Most rules have exceptions though and, therefore, other moves can sometimes prove to be just as manly as the Falcon Punch. Two moves stand out in this aspect, with these moves being the Knee of Justice, mentioned above, and the Falcon Dive. When a Falcon Dive is performed, Captain Falcon will latch onto an opponent after jumping upwards and will bounce off of them stylishly. This move can be linked to from a Falcon Kick. It is easy to identify a Falcon Dive because Captain Falcon will shout "YES!"

Despite arguably being the worst character in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Captain Falcon manages to beat every other character in style. All of Captain Falcon's moves are humorous, as well as is his personality. Cosmetically speaking, all of Captain Falcon's moves are brilliant and entertaining to watch, and some of the best effects are possessed by his signature moves, you guessed it, Falcon Punch and Falcon Kick. Both moves have a fire effect, and while the effects that take place are similar, each move is displayed uniquely. For Falcon Punch, a large amount of fire that stretches through the frame of the Captain's arm takes the shape of a huge falcon with the beak being located at Captain Falcon's fist. For Falcon Kick, Captain Falcon dashes across the screen in a fashion similar to that of a baseball player sliding to a base, the difference being that Captain Falcon slides five times as far on a trail of smoke and fire. The fire effect found on these two moves is commonly referred to by the gaming community as "TEH PH1R3." In the event that someone wants to play as Captain Falcon, they must understand that he is a character built completely around finesse, and without it his moves will not be effective. Falcon Punch and Kick are fine examples of moves that require a knack for finesse and are of the most epic proportions when done under exemplary circumstances. An example of such a circumstance would include jumping off the stage and using a Reverse Falcon Punch to slam the opponent into the edge of the stage, rocketing them in the opposite direction to the bottom of the screen. Performing this in the heat of a battle is the quintessence of all things marvelous. By beating your opponent in the most stylish way possible, it is customary to use Captain Falcon's taunt: "Show me your moves!" To not follow that rule, and to beat the opponent without a flashy ending is to disgrace him and show that you do not appreciate his company, which is poor sportsmanship.

While a lot of information has been given, surprisingly not much has been proven. The two moves are useful in certain situations and are too diverse to form a direct comparison. I suggest using Falcon Kick in open situations where the opponent is ready to respond to anything you do and using Falcon Punch as a punishing move for when someone slips up and becomes vulnerable. Using the two moves in conjunction with each other would be most beneficial as there is no clear-cut winner. Being crafty is the ideal way to play as Captain Falcon, so don't let any opportunity to use these unique moves slip by. Don't trip up and keep yourself fresh, these are the keys to playing Captain Falcon. Don't forget to play as flashy as possible and to deliver a shocking feeling to your opponent so that they will never have a problem with showing you their moves.

Yeah, I'm such a dork.

Yeah, my teacher is going to kill me.

Pearl Floatzel

Smash Apprentice
Quite good, actually. I enjoyed reading it, and it seems understandable and even funny to a person who doesn't play Smash. I couldn't find anything in particular. Great job.

Roager

Smash Ace
I may have beat you to this one. I'm a year above you, and I turned in a paper detailing the events surrounding Falcon between Smash games. Honestly, I didn't really read it, But I am fully aware that the subjects are entirely separate. Still, I had a Falcon essay first.

But still, kudos.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I may have beat you to this one. I'm a year above you, and I turned in a paper detailing the events surrounding Falcon between Smash games. Honestly, I didn't really read it, But I am fully aware that the subjects are entirely separate. Still, I had a Falcon essay first.

But still, kudos.
Blast, foiled again.

Thanks anyway.

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
*reads*

wow. epic win for the boards but epic fail from your teacher.

there wasn't enough factual evidence to prove whatever you were trying to prove however. Try to think of a more concrete thesism..................actually scratch that you don't even have a thesis so what are your even trying to prove anyways? from a technical vview it seems that your writing turns informal which will change the grade of your paper in most situations a whole level. Your grammer and sentence struction is really awkward also.

Veggi

Smash Champion
scratch that you don't even have a thesis so what are your even trying to prove anyways? from a technical vview it seems that your writing turns informal which will change the grade of your paper in most situations a whole level. Your grammer and sentence struction is really awkward also.
Come to think of it, I did leave out the thesis. I didn't notice, I was more concerned with trying to let the teacher understand what all of the terms I was using were. From what it looks like, there wasn't a problem with the information given because the comparing and contrasting took place in every aspect I could think of. I can't really improve on grammar and sentence structure because I can't identify anything wrong with it (one sentence I noticed I left out a word.) Could you point out something I did wrong with it?

Blooqkazoo

Smash Journeyman
Ha! I'm in 8th grade and I've done a project on Kirby and another one on Pokemon... Which isn't as epic as CF...

Quail Man

Smash Apprentice
FALCON PUNCH VS. FALCON KICK!!!

Captain Falcon is a character from the F-ZERO franchise and appears as a selectable character in the video game "Super Smash Brothers Brawl." Due to being from a racing game he had no moves to take from his games, so his attacks are modeled after his racing machine the Blue Falcon. The move set he has is flashy, and his car and title are the namesakes of his two signature moves. Those moves are the Falcon Kick and the Falcon Punch, they both have similar special effects. However, their performance is divided among different situations. The functions of each attack are weighed depending on how they aid the character using them, with the main goal of launching the opposing character off of the screen where he loses a stock, or life. He is then transported back to the stage on a hovering platform, until he runs out of stocks. This leads to an intense, King-of-the-Hill-esque play. Damage building is a key factor in Smash Brothers, because the more damage the opponent has, the farther the opponent will soar upon being hit. Knock-back is a necessity for knocking out, or "KO"ing, the opposing player: You must decide what move to use based on the different directions and amount of knock back his moves have, and thus they can lead into different strings of attacks. Last, but far from least is your style, a gauge of how impressive you look to the people you play with. Having a good style persuades others to show you their moves another time.

While the Falcon Punch while extremely hard to land on an a fully functional opponent, it does a whopping 26% damage to whoever comes in contact with it. The move is best used on an opponent trying to get back on to the stage, where they are frequently the most vulnerable. Since the battles in-game take place on top of a platform floating in the sky, this happens very often. If a Falcon Punch is reversed it makes it easier to fool the opponent into being hit by it. Also, this new reversed attack does more damage than a standard one. A little known trait of the reversed Falcon Punch is that it can be used to help the Captain gain horizontal momentum in the air. Using the Falcon Kick causes Captain Falcon to shoot along the ground with his foot extended. The Falcon Kick is a much more viable way to approach the opponent than the Falcon Punch, which is too obvious and slow to hit an opponent who knows how to play the game well. While its damage is not quite as impressive as that of the Falcon Punch, the Falcon Kick still does 12% which is a considerable amount for an attack of its speed. Sadly, neither attack is very reliable because they do not have enough priority to break through other character's attacks consistently. The Falcon Punch can even be broken by Pikachu's Skull Bash attack, which is notorious for having bad priority. When used in the air the Falcon Kick sends the Captain rocketing downwards at an angle, which can catch the opponent off-guard, and also to get to the edge of the stage quicker, because once the opponent knocks Captain Falcon into the air, he becomes quite vulnerable. The damage of the Falcon Punch also decreases than that of the Falcon Kick, so it's best to use the Falcon Punch sparingly.

Knock-back is a strange trait of moves, where the opponent will be sent flying in diverse directions depending on the move. For example, the knock-back of the Falcon Kick sends the opponent upwards at an angle that makes it possible to follow up with some of Captain Falcon's air moves. The most notable of these is the "Knee of Justice" which is an attack that has a sweet-spot on his knee, meaning that if he doesn't land the move head on, the attack will do very low damage and knock-back, but, if Captain Falcon does land the sweet-spot of the move, an exhilarating effect of lightning surrounds the victim and the game pauses for a moment, only to see the opponent rocket off the screen a split second later. One move that is all about knock-back is the Falcon Punch. It will KO the opponent at early percents, and while it does not lead into any moves, it does provide the perfect opportunity to use Falcon's signature taunt: "Show me your moves!" Using a Falcon Punch is so epic that it does not need any other moves to follow it and may only be complimented by Captain Falcon's signature taunt and the sound of each character's unique noise they make when they are KO'd off the side of the screen. The cry of the character Metaknight, from the Kirby video game series, is the most satisfying to hear because no one likes to play against him. The Falcon Kick is close to useless for knocking the opponent off-screen if it is used as a standard move. However, the alternative use for the Falcon Kick is to use it while off-stage, because if the Captain nails the opponent with the rapid downward kick, they are meteor smashed (so named because of the extreme downwards knock-back), and the opponent has a low chance to escape. While there are alternative ways to KO the opponent, landing the Falcon Punch is the most manly way, and it is only honorable to defeat the opponent in the most manly way. Most rules have exceptions though and, therefore, other moves can sometimes prove to be just as manly as the Falcon Punch. Two moves stand out in this aspect, with these moves being the Knee of Justice, mentioned above, and the Falcon Dive. When a Falcon Dive is performed, Captain Falcon will latch onto an opponent after jumping upwards and will bounce off of them stylishly. This move can be linked to from a Falcon Kick. It is easy to identify a Falcon Dive because Captain Falcon will shout "YES!"

Despite arguably being the worst character in Super Smash Brothers Brawl, Captain Falcon manages to beat every other character in style. All of Captain Falcon's moves are humorous, as well as his personality. Cosmetically speaking, all of Captain Falcon's moves are brilliant and entertaining to watch, and some of the best effects are possessed by his signature moves, you guessed it, Falcon Punch and Falcon Kick. Both moves have a fire effect, and while the effects that take place are similar, each move is displayed uniquely. For Falcon Punch, a large amount of fire that stretches through the frame of the Captain's arm takes the shape of a huge falcon with the beak being located at Captain Falcon's fist. For Falcon Kick, Captain Falcon dashes across the screen in a fashion similar to that of a baseball player sliding to a base, the difference being that Captain Falcon slides five times as far on a trail of smoke and fire. The fire effect found on these two moves is commonly referred to by the gaming community as "TEH PH1R3." In the event that someone wants to play as Captain Falcon, they must understand that he is a character built completely around finesse, and without it his moves will not be effective. Falcon Punch and Kick are fine examples of moves that require a knack for finesse and are of the most epic proportions when done under exemplary circumstances. An example of such a circumstance would include jumping off the stage and using a Reverse Falcon Punch to slam the opponent into the edge of the stage, rocketing them in the opposite direction to the bottom of the screen. Performing this in the heat of a battle is the quintessence of all things marvelous. By beating your opponent in the most stylish way possible, it is customary to use Captain Falcon's taunt: "Show me your moves!" To not follow that rule, and to beat the opponent without a flashy ending is to disgrace him and show that you do not appreciate his company, which is poor sportsmanship.

While a lot of information has been given, surprisingly not much has been proven. The two moves are useful in certain situations and are too diverse to form a direct comparison. I suggest using Falcon Kick in open situations where the opponent is ready to respond to anything you do and using Falcon Punch as a punishing move for when someone slips up and becomes vulnerable. Using the two moves in conjunction with each other would be most beneficial as there is no clear-cut winner. Being crafty is the ideal way to play as Captain Falcon, so don't let any opportunity to use these unique moves slip by. Don't trip up and keep yourself fresh, these are the keys to playing Captain Falcon. Don't forget to play as flashy as possible and to deliver a shocking feeling to your opponent so that they will never have a problem with showing you their moves.

Yeah, I'm such a dork.

Yeah, my teacher is going to give me an F if I don't make the suggested corrections.
Corrections in bold. Write a thesis statement. Use the Active voice, not Passive ("I bought milk" instead of "the milk was bought by me"). Show me your moves.

Roager

Smash Ace
Corrections in bold. Write a thesis statement. Use the Active voice, not Passive ("I bought milk" instead of "the milk was bought by me"). Show me your moves.
I didn't really look at most of your corrections, but I did notice that you suggested to make a correction so that it said that Brawl was a series. I hope you realize that it's not...

Quail Man

Smash Apprentice
I didn't really look at most of your corrections, but I did notice that you suggested to make a correction so that it said that Brawl was a series. I hope you realize that it's not...
oops. It originally was referring to "the series 'Super Smash Bros.'" Since the essay was focused on Brawl, I changed it, but I forgot to take out "series." Thanks for pointing that out *fixes*

Veggi

Smash Champion
Yeah, my teacher is going to give me an F if I don't make the suggested corrections.
lol

I will change it to what you corrected it with, although I think the proper name for Brawl is Super Smash Bros. Brawl rather than Super Smash Brothers Brawl.

Edit: Also, thanks for helping.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Don't worry if you get an F.

It obviously stands for Falcon.

Top Bottom