• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help taking my title back...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zodiac

Smash Master
old thread is old awesome.
Lulz man, both are true. ESTE! We must see the tournament vid or this thread will not have a closure and it will forever be known as "THE THREAD THAT DIDNT HAVE CLOSURE ...

Corigames

Smash Hero
Because some people are scrubs and they don't know they are and remain that way eternally. The rest of us were scrubs and found out we were and headed on to change that.

And yes, Samus rocks.

Sadly, I can't play Brawl online. I can spectate matches fine, but, for some reason, when I try to play it just errors out :(

Anyway, are you going to AZ 1 2 step? Big Brawl tournament with a little Melee on the side... you should gather the family and friends and road trip it!

Please?

You owe us.... and all those kittens... alll... those .... kittens... O_O

EsteBeatDown

Smash Cadet
LULZ, you guys kill me. All of this makes me feel real guilty for not having the video anymore. (I remember someone making a script for a movie in regards to the whole story. Corey, wasn't that you? Have you called Spielburg yet?) I'm gonna keep looking for it, but it might have gotten lost in the great house cleanup of 2007. I would not count on it though. :(

Anyways, I did promise a video a couple of days ago, and by George I am going to deliver on it.

Now, when I last left you, I was detailing the exploits of my defeat at the hands of my brother. It was a fierce match, one that I still enjoy talking about today, even though I did not emerge victorious. He held onto that title for a while, up until our final Melee tourney, in which I managed to dethrone him and take back the crown. Since it was going to be our last Melee tournament, the winner was going to be crowned as our Ultimate Melee Champ (of our group, lol). So you can bet many a' smasher brought their "A Game." The finals came down to myself and my brother (once again), however it was I who managed to secure the win this time. It was undescribingly sweet to be the first and last person ever to hold the title of Melee Smash Champ.

Anyways, that now brings us to the present. We have moved onto hosting Brawl tournaments, and we recently just had our very first official one. Now, I do realize that many people have gripes against the new SSB game. Yes, I do realize that it is not as "techincal" as Melee, but to tell you the truth.... I'm not disappointed. The reason? The game is no longer intimidating. Those who were not interested in participating in Melee because it was too difficult now have a game they can pick up and play easily. And, it has just enough strategy in it to please those who want to become real good at it, therefore helping in still maintaining a gap between hardcore players and regular ones (albiet, the gap in Brawl is not nearly as wide as in Melee). One thing I like also is that since the game is more friendly to casual players, more people have been willing to participate in our tournaments. We had about 36 tournament attendees at our recent Brawl tourney, and that's about 15 more than we usually have. That makes for some really fun times (although we did have a food shortage due to the unexpected amount of Brawl Champ hopefuls we had).

Back to subject, like I stated, we just had our first Brawl tournament, and it consisted of 36 players. The rules were as follows.

Stock: 5 Lives
Time Limit: 10 min
Stages: Battlefield, FINAL DESTINATION!
Best 2 out of 3
Double Elimination
No Items or Smash Balls
3 Character Limit

Seeing as how it was double elimination and had best 2 out of 3 rounds, the tournament lasted quite awhile. We were all having a blast though, so it was well worth it.

Anyways, so the tournament had some good players. Keep in mind that since Brawl is fairly new, many were still learning. I believe my first real marquee match was in the 3rd round against one of my friends named Tommy. He is a good Wolf player, however he proved no match for the might of Pit's speed (Yes, I use Pit. No complaining.).

Throughout the tournament, we had many suprises. I managed to make it to the Semi Finals of the winners bracket, where I met up with one of my most heated rivalries... WetWilly (formely Niko the Geeko). The reason why I say he is one of my best rivals is because of this fact. We compete in almost every game. Not just SSB. EVERY GAME. It used to be that I would win all the time. However, I suppose that the constant losing on his part made him realize that he needed to up him game, and thus he quickly became one of my most compelling threats. Ever since the first tournament in which he won the title, we have been trading victories. So it was very exciting that we were to meet up in the semi's.

Now, I would like to say that I came out victorious. I really would. Sadly though, I did not. However, I have to say that our matchup was one of the BEST I HAVE EVER HAD. It makes me angry to think that we did not record it. The match actually came down to us going into 2 sudden deaths and playing all three contests. I won the first and he claimed the victory on the last two. It was truely one of the most entertaining matches I have ever had, and the only bad thing about it was that I lost by a hair.

So then, being a double elimination tournament, I was not out yet. I was sent to the losers bracket, where I was to now meet up with Tommy again (suprisingly, he was coming off of an awesome upset victory over my little brother.). I myself had sent him to the losers bracket earlier, so he was ready to enact his revenge.

At this point, we had decided that it was getting somewhat late (as my wife was repeatedly reminding me), and we decided to pick up the remaining matches later on. This was a good move, as it allowed WetWilly to bring his recording equipment so we could document the Loser's Bracket Semi-Finals and Finals.

So, here comes the day in which the tournament it to be completed. My little brother is standing next to me and cheering me on, seeing as how we are kin and he was unceremoniously ejected from the competition by my opponent. On the opposite side, WetWilly is cheering Tommy on, mainly because he did not want to face me again. We decided to change the rules up a little for the remaining matches by taking out the best 2 out of 3 condition, as we all did not have alot of time.

So here it is. The following link will take you to a magical place where you can view the epic match up against myself (Pit - Este) and Thomas (Wolf - Chaos). The video is being hosted by WetWilly, so just keep that in mind. (Also, sorry for the pausing that occurs. My opponent was somewhat of a complainer, and we forgot to take off the pause option.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZFGgkkF048

***SPOILERS BELOW***

Okay, so this victory has now allowed me another crack at WetWilly. It's an uphill battle, as I now have to defeat him twice in order to win, while he only has to best me once. Not to mention, he also has switched his characted to Falco, who I have never played against. Will I come out as a suprise upset, or will WetWilly become our first Brawl Champ? Click below to find out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEF_9khjHfc

Now I know this comment seems a bit out of place, but I will make it anyways. After watching both video's, if you have any suggestions on how I can become a better Pit player, let me know!

Enjoy the show guys!

(EDIT: Man, I've never had to go back and correct so many typo's in my life.)

Corigames

Smash Hero
Well... I ahte to say it, but this is becoming a Brawl discussion more and more and as such... you know...

Anyway, good to hear you went out of melee with a bang.

But you didn't answer my question. Arizona is throwing a HUGE Brawl tournament here and a few people from Texas are staying at my house!!! I'm not sure if it is too late to ask them, but you should talk to Hylian if you want to come. I"m sure we can make room for one more. It's this Sat., so I know it's little late notice, but still, it would be a blast.

As for your Pit:
-More grabbing! You don't grab, ever. I don't know why. Down throw to up air is amazing with Pit. Plus, there were a lot of situations where you could have shield grabbed those two, but instead you came out of the shield with a jab.
-More arrows! It may just be my play style, but there was a definite lack of arrows in those fights. That's what makes pit good, his ability to direct the arrows to just about anywhere! I think if you want to get good with him, you need to get your spam game ready
-His shield. His shield not only blocks projectiles, but also melee moves. And, if you hit it right, it will turn them around. This is a great edgegard move because you can jump off the edge, flip someones Up B or Forward B around and watch them fall. Plus, you can turn someone around mid move and then punish them in the back. On top of all that, it has super armor frames!!!
-Glide attack. I love the glide attack. Undiminished, it kills people at ridiculously low percents. I love it. You should use it more.

Ahhh... old times eh? Just like old times.

EsteBeatDown

Smash Cadet
Well... I ahte to say it, but this is becoming a Brawl discussion more and more and as such... you know...

Anyway, good to hear you went out of melee with a bang.

But you didn't answer my question. Arizona is throwing a HUGE Brawl tournament here and a few people from Texas are staying at my house!!! I'm not sure if it is too late to ask them, but you should talk to Hylian if you want to come. I"m sure we can make room for one more. It's this Sat., so I know it's little late notice, but still, it would be a blast.

As for your Pit:
-More grabbing! You don't grab, ever. I don't know why. Down throw to up air is amazing with Pit. Plus, there were a lot of situations where you could have shield grabbed those two, but instead you came out of the shield with a jab.
-More arrows! It may just be my play style, but there was a definite lack of arrows in those fights. That's what makes pit good, his ability to direct the arrows to just about anywhere! I think if you want to get good with him, you need to get your spam game ready
-His shield. His shield not only blocks projectiles, but also melee moves. And, if you hit it right, it will turn them around. This is a great edgegard move because you can jump off the edge, flip someones Up B or Forward B around and watch them fall. Plus, you can turn someone around mid move and then punish them in the back. On top of all that, it has super armor frames!!!
-Glide attack. I love the glide attack. Undiminished, it kills people at ridiculously low percents. I love it. You should use it more.

Ahhh... old times eh? Just like old times.
Yeah, I keep forgetting to use his reflector. I need to improve on that. As for the grabbing, I find that the down throw up air combo is too easy to avoid, so I hardly use it. I knew that I didn't need it against my first opponent, and that my second opponent wouldn't be sucked into it (as I have never been able to sucessfully connect agaisnt him). In regards to the arrows, I thought I used them decently. I didn't spam them on the ground due to my opponents reflection abilities, but I tried to use them at every opportunity when airborne. I'll look at the video again and see where I could have used them better. Thanks for the tips man! Appreciate it!

Now, in regards to the smash tournament, where in Texas is it going to be located? I'll be honest with you, the chances of me making it are slim. I would need to consult with the missus on the matter, and then make sure I am not needed during the weekend. Just making sure my wife doesn't go Jack Ripper on me for considering it is almost enough for me to say "Nay" on the whole matter right now...

:chuckle: "ALMOST ENOUGH." :chuckle:

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
lol *cries. man melee. best game ever. freaking genius. things that great are legacys. i liked ur story este nice vids too

Corigames

Smash Hero
The tournament I'm talking about is this weekend, in Arizona (My roommate and I are housing 3-4 people from Texas already):
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=163223

I'm holding a Melee tournament at MY HOUSE in Arizona the next week after that:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=172420

I know these are short notice, so you probably can't make it, but I just wanted to throw them out there.

Edit: Well, I was just informed that Texas will in fact NOT be going to AZ one two step, so nvm on us housing them. Sorry if you did want to come. But I still have my house tournament, so.... yeah.

EsteBeatDown

Smash Cadet
The tournament I'm talking about is this weekend, in Arizona (My roommate and I are housing 3-4 people from Texas already):
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=163223

I'm holding a Melee tournament at MY HOUSE in Arizona the next week after that:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=172420

I know these are short notice, so you probably can't make it, but I just wanted to throw them out there.

Edit: Well, I was just informed that Texas will in fact NOT be going to AZ one two step, so nvm on us housing them. Sorry if you did want to come. But I still have my house tournament, so.... yeah.
You have sparked my interest. :bee:

Edit: Do you know of anybody else I would know from this board that will be there?

Corigames

Smash Hero
Which one? My tournament is just a small one that about 15-20 AZ guys are showing up to. AZ one two step is huge and the list of pre-registered people is listed on the link I gave you. If you recognize any names there, then that's who will be there.

I'm not going though, because I made prior arrangements for that Saturday so I was only going to really participate in the Melee tournament on Sunday, but then they changed the rules so you HAD to participate in the Brawl side to do anything Melee. So I said forget it.

Leech

Smash Journeyman
If you don't know this yet... try to be more defensive then offensive when you know you are fighting someone better then you.. If you are defensive remember that you can also grab them by hitting the A button if they are next to you and you are shielding. This is a very useful skill. also look around the forums for new more advanced techs everyday.. because sometimes there are some techs that you wont know about. Also Try maining More than 1 to 2 people.. it really helps.

Corigames

Smash Hero
First off, if you didn't notice, this thread was created back in April, and to that extent, last year. And if you don't think the notion of simple shield grabbing hadn't been brought up in that time over the span of 30 pages, then I don't know what to think. Making such an obvious suggestion just seems so unnecessary at this point. In addition to that, we have brought closure to the discussion of him getting better at melee as it seems, to my dismay, that he's moved on to Brawl. So almost any new information really isn't a requirement. Not to say further discussion about viable tactics with Samus are out of this thread, it's just that all the basics have been covered.

Secondly, Samus shouldn't rely at all on shield grabbing. To begin with, the wind-up time on it is atrocious. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the grab that had the longest time before the actual grab hitbox came out. Aside from that small fact, the move is very easily punished. If someone is attacking you, there isn't enough time for her to go from shield to grab without getting hit! So, even if you time it right, you will most likely be hit out of it. Lastly, the move stays out for an atrocious amount of time. If they don't hit you out of it, they sure have the time to spot dodge or jump away from it. This leaves you wide open for a full second for them to do anything to you. A situation that isn't worth the trade-off.

Trust me, you are better off Screw Attacking, F-tilting, D-tilting, jabbing, bombing, etc. than trying for a shield grab.

Corigames

Smash Hero
You were not in the act of dismaying me, but, rather, you gave me dismay. However, you shouldn't dwell upon it long though. It seems that, at least in the manner of what you did, I've been receiving gifts of dismay from everyone I know.

EsteBeatDown

Smash Cadet
You were not in the act of dismaying me, but, rather, you gave me dismay. However, you shouldn't dwell upon it long though. It seems that, at least in the manner of what you did, I've been receiving gifts of dismay from everyone I know.
As in, those who you knew that played Melee regularly have now moved on to Brawl?

Is this what is causing you so much pain? So much distress? So much..... agony?

[rant] My friend, I feel your pain. I feel it in the very bottom of my being. My heart moves out to you, for I once was in your position. I was once the victim of a dying breed. I once clung onto something so dear to me, while I watched everyone else abandon what we all once embraced.

It was painful. What was once a crowded plain full of young, enterprising go getters soon became a desert-like tundra full of broken dreams. I stood alone, hoping that the magesticness that once filled these hollowed walls would soon return in all of its glory. However, when that day never arrived, when it became clear as the rising sun over the horizon that those days were to never return, I was left with a feeling of dispair. Abandonment. Sadness.

I never did cross over to the dark side, as some would put it. Rather than lose my self control and give in to the temptation of joining my peers in their new activity, I decided to take matters into my own hands. The dispair I felt my I was left standing alone, abandoned by who I thought were my friends made me realize that I had been depending on their constant approval for happiness. No more was I going to accept this. I had a choice.

Would I continue to wait on that lifeless tundra, hoping that what was once lost would return to me and rectify all matters? Or would I do what I knew needed to be done? Would I reach down to where I knew my testicles were dwelling, grab them with my two hands and proceed to direct them in a manner than would make me responsible for my own contentment?

Yes, while it is extremely unsetting to see many of those whom you enjoyed an activity with move on to what they deem "a more fulfilling" experience, it is not the end of the world. While the need to feel accepted might be strong at times, it should never be the main drive to accept something that might seem like the "in" thing at the moment. Yes, many have moved onto Brawl (myself included), however I applaud you for sticking to your guns. Keep a firm hold onto those testicles of yours and let your own personal tastes lead you to your plain of fulfillment! [\rant]

Corigames

Smash Hero
You are preaching to the choir. I'm an unchanging wall made of stone and blood, and not one to be pushed by others. If the day that the thing I, the wall, stand in front of falls, I will still be there. The age isn't comforted by anything and I'm am left to myself. When people see me, they remember it. They remember the times they leaned against it, sat in its shade, walk on it like a balance beam, and the time you had to duck behind me to avoid running into someone. No, I'm the constant in the changing world. I am the point that views by its experience while living in the modern world.

Also, html and code commands are usually done with a "/" and not a "\".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom