• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help taking my title back...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Impact009

Smash Journeyman
This was a great thread and story of a man's life. What I found most interesting were the support of the community, and how his brother went from a scrub to a better player. I absolutely hate scrubs and noobs in video games, especially with the sheer amount of scrubs that play Halo 2, Counsterstrike, MvC2, SSBM, or WoW. One wouldn't see much of a scrub problem in other fighting games.

Good job with unlocking your potential to drastically improve your Smash game, but since you aren't aiming to be champ anymore, at least give your lil' bro a run for his money.

red stone

Smash Ace
wow, if you're playing against people that don't use advanced techniques, you have the opportunity to run circles around them.

i think you should focus a lot on mindgames. if your opponents don't know advanced techniques well, then they're gonna be screwed once you start mindgamezing them.

you know, start sheildgrabbing, crouchcanceling, dashdancing, wavedashing and a bunch of other stuff. basically, the point is to make your opponent do something and then punish them when they thought wrong. it sound simple, but reading your opponent is hard. the payoff is huge though.

i could tell you to be technically sound and do the super wd all day but technical skill doesn't go as far as you think. mindgames are what make landslide victories possible. plus, if someone else knows advance techniques, you won't panic and try to out tech them. instead you can outthink them. it doesn't take much tech skill to use mindgames, a double jump here or there, spacing yourself right, it just takes effort, although tech skill does help.

i don't know much about samus, but i wouldn't worry as long as your nemesis doesn't learn the dreaded waveshine. lol learn to counterpick then

Impact009

Smash Journeyman
Mmm...mind games. That brings me back to the heyday of arcades and Street Fighter II. That's not to say that SSBM is not as thought intensive; every fighting game is. Good ol' safe zones, imaginery walls, traps...

red stone

Smash Ace
wow this community really knows how to support fellow smashers. the story was well told and kept me and others interested. yeah it's good that your brother won, takes the pressure off of you. but still, what an anticlimactic ending. oh well thanks for sharing.

on another note, man i wish i was there for the tourny. i don't know how guys got away without using advanced techs all this time. but yeah, a lot of people on here are on another level. if one of us could have made it, we'd probably completely change the way your community looks at smash.

anyways, it seems you didn't completely learn advanced techniques and since you won't be the smash champ anymore, please direct all your smash peoples to this site. who knows, we could transform a scrub into a master.

Zane Fleia

Smash Journeyman
*Snaps fingers dramatically* I know where Este went! He's off to produce the movie that Corey outlined! Months later, he'll come back to us with a whole epic motion picture, special effects by Spielberg and everything!

I can dream. XD

Corigames

Smash Hero
Well, it would sure beat one of those crappy youtube videos... wait, what am I saying? Everything on youtube is crappy.

EsteBeatDown

Smash Cadet
LOL. Hey ya'll. I'm soo sorry for leaving like I did and such. I can see you all were still looking for me almost 2 months after my last post. Man, thanks to you all for the support.

I'm glad to finally be back. It's been a thrill ride since I have last talked to you all. Real life tends to get in the way of Smashing, you know. I had been meaning to come back a couple of times before, but something always came up. But with the recent release of Brawl, all of my warm and fuzzy memories with you guys came rushing back, and I had to return.

:bee:

Corigames

Smash Hero
LOL. Hey ya'll. I'm soo sorry for leaving like I did and such. I can see you all were still looking for me almost 2 months after my last post. Man, thanks to you all for the support.

I'm glad to finally be back. It's been a thrill ride since I have last talked to you all. Real life tends to get in the way of Smashing, you know. I had been meaning to come back a couple of times before, but something always came up. But with the recent release of Brawl, all of my warm and fuzzy memories with you guys came rushing back, and I had to return.

:bee:
OMG SUP?!?!?!?!

Been playing Brawl.. hating it. I wish I could take melee online, then I would be content to not play Brawl. As it turns out though, everyone just wants to play Brawl, so I kinda got shoved into it too. I'm playing Pit, and I think he's a cool character.

You?

EsteBeatDown

Smash Cadet
WHat I've Been Up To

So where is everyone? Have they migrated to the Brawl forums? I want to see how everyone is doing.

Anyways, it’s been pretty crazy for me. I remember about the time I made my last appearance here is when all the crap hit the fan. I’m not going to bore you with all the details, as I’m sure you remember I am capable of doing, so here is the summarized version.

Around the time that I posted the epic conclusion of my “return” tournament and my brother’s rise to dominance (he has since fallen out, and I took control again), real life decided it wanted to intervene and make things difficult for me and my wife. For some reason still unknown to me, my previous employer decided that my 5 years of servitude meant nothing to them and they released me due to cutbacks. I had been there since they had opened shop in 2002, so I was one of their highest paid employees. I figured that they assumed they could find someone to do the same job I was doing for the fraction of the cost. While this was a setback, the kicker came after my dismissal.

As I am sure you all know, most companies offer health insurance if you work full time for them. Well, since I had released, I was no longer under that protection. As life would so have it, I just happened to BREAK MY LEG a mere 24 hours after I was let go from my company. That’s right. I broke my leg a day after my medical coverage ended. A DAY. ONE FRIGGIN’ DAY.

And how did I do it, you ask? Cutting my lawn.

That’s right fellas. I broke my leg while cutting my front lawn. Now, I usually do an upstanding job when surveying my plot of land for any foreign object that might be making like a deadly projectile waiting to strike, so I have no idea how I messed up. Seems as if I left a small rock (no bigger than a quarter in size) with an unusually sharp edge on the ground. I had my push mower on full blast and, well… The rest is history. The rock was caught by the blade and flew through the plastic guard and hit me directly in the lower part of my shin.

Now, it didn’t hurt at first. It felt as if a small pebble had just deflected off of the grass guard on the side and hit me. The usually stuff, you know? It wasn’t until I looked down and saw the mounds of blood gushing out of my leg that I started to panic. That’s about the time the pain set in. I tried to stand on it, but that apparently made it worse as it caused me to fall and (very fittingly) sprain my ankle. I screamed in pain loud enough to where my sister (who is a registered nurse) and my wife could hear. I have to say, I am very glad that my sister was there, as she was the only one who was not panicking out of the three of us. She very calmly told my wife to get our car while she cleaned and bandaged the wound. They then helped me into our vehicle and we made our way to the hospital.

After everything was said and done, the doctor who examined me said that I had suffered a fractured tibia. Apparently, the rock had been hit by the blade so hard that it was like a bullet when it hit my leg. It managed to fracture my shin. She then told me that I had also suffered an ankle sprain when I fell and a minor wrist sprain when I landed on my hand. “The wrist sprain,” she said, “could be handled, no problem. However, I cannot cast your leg until the quarter sized hole in it at the point of entry is healed up.”

So this basically meant I had to spend the next month laid up in bed. I could not use crutches because of my hand and the pain that came with trying to move an uncasted, fractured leg. I needed huge amounts of help to get to the restroom and even more to bathe (which was an event all in its own). I had to cancel all of my upcoming talks in my church and postpone my job search. All the while though, my wife was the pillar of strength that I needed her to be. She was such a trooper. She took care of me through it all, and I love her all the more so because of it.

Anyways, after the leg was cast and I was able to get around in crutches, it was time for me to start my search all over again. I began going back to church (although I was not giving talks just yet) and looking around for a job. I signed up with a hiring agency that managed to find me a job at a local bank as a Treasury Rep. Things seemed to be going well for about a month or so, but that’s when life decided to throw another curve. My wife and I were at the local target looking for comforter sets when I got a call from my hiring agency. They said that they had received a call the previous Friday from my bank. Apparently, they deemed that I was not “a good fit” for them, and that they were terminating my employment.

I was shocked. I wanted to know exactly why I was getting canned again. They had just told me the previous Thursday that I was doing an outstanding job and that I was in line for a raise a few more weeks. Now all of a sudden, I’m being fired? I kept asking questions to my hiring rep why this was happening and why they deemed me to be “a bad fit.” However, since they were a hiring agency, the bank supposedly did not have to give a reason and they could let me go at anytime before the probationary time limit was over.

When I got off the phone with my rep, I was in tears. I could not believe this was happening again. My wife wanted to know what was going on, but I just didn’t have the heart to tell her. I had to though. So I took her to the food court and told her as calmly as I could. Thankfully though, this wonderful woman hugged me and assured me that everything was going to be alright.

And it was… eventually. Since I was able to get around in a limited fashion, my wife decided to get a job while I was recovering. We decided that it probably was not a good idea for me to go back to work until I was somewhat “fully” recovered. Fast forward through a few months of penny pinching and rehab, and we get to now. My leg has not fully recovered yet, as I still cannot put a whole lot of pressure on it, but it’s a lot better. I still cannot work out on it yet, but I suppose that can wait. Since I had been mostly immobile for the latter half of last year, I’ve gained a “few” pounds, so I can’t wait to get back to the gym.

As for work, I couldn’t be happier. I’m working at a place where the pay is real good, and they respect me in the way a person should be (I’m the parts manager at the local Culligan affiliate). It’s funny though, last week my Operations Manager called me into his office to speak with me. As he started talking, he could tell I was real nervous. He asked my why I looked worried, and I told him that I has just been fired twice in the span of 5 months with no reason given. I was just concerned that it was going to happen again. He answered in the best possible way he could. He laughed. His reason for calling me in? To discuss the terms of my 3 month probationary raise and health benefits package.

So, that’s what I’ve been up to since I last checked up with you all. I am sorry that I have not dropped in sooner. I am also sorry that this is not a summary, like I said it would be. Come on, if you know me, then you know I am not capable of telling a story without it being 5 pages long!

I will give you a little tidbit though. My brother lost his crown of champ at our final Melee tournament. The title is sitting very nicely on top of my computer desk. When you’re doing nothing but lying around all day because of a broken tibia, well… Needless to say that gives you a lot of time to practice your Smashing!

Oh yeah, and Brawl rocks! (Sorry Corey!)

JJBro1

Smash Journeyman
great story! But not what happened to you though, well the end sounded good for you. BTW im JJBro1 and im kinda new here so i just want to say hi. Do you have online for brawl?

Corigames

Smash Hero
Dude... that's so F'ing weak. sorry about all that crap you went through.

I had a good conclusion to melee though. I went to a tournament and got first place, $50 prize. Sad part is, if there were 3 more people, pot would have been $100 :/

Oh well, I liked my time in that, it just makes me sad that I only got into melee competitively in the last year of it's life! But, hopefully, Brawl will be able to reach melee's greatness, which I doubt, but we'll see.

Zane Fleia

Smash Journeyman
ESTE!!!!! HOLY CRAP, IT'S ESTE!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOT!!!! I FREAKIN' MISSED YOU, MAN!!! WELCOME BACK!!!!!

Now, now. Summaries are boring when one can weave a tale like you can. Regardless of how sad it is, for the most part. At any rate, it sucks that all that happened, and I can't really say I know what it's like. But I sympathize, nonetheless. That just bites. But it definitely sounds like a good ending, at least! I mean, your new job seems quite nice, and all's well that end's well, or so they say.

Anyway, it's really, really, REALLY good to hear from you again. I was hoping nothing terrible happened, and you just forgot about us or something. Looks like it didn't work... Ah well. I wouldn't have believed it if you did forget us anyway, doesn't seem like your kinda thing. XD

Anyway, yeah. A big welcome back from that one guy who thinks you're awesome. ^_^

TheLake

Smash Master
I dont even know who you are but I think your awsome too.

Your storys very touching and best of luck to getting back into one of if not the coolest fighting game ever. Hope to hear more on your progress.

EsteBeatDown

Smash Cadet
ESTE!!!!! HOLY CRAP, IT'S ESTE!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOT!!!! I FREAKIN' MISSED YOU, MAN!!! WELCOME BACK!!!!!

Now, now. Summaries are boring when one can weave a tale like you can. Regardless of how sad it is, for the most part. At any rate, it sucks that all that happened, and I can't really say I know what it's like. But I sympathize, nonetheless. That just bites. But it definitely sounds like a good ending, at least! I mean, your new job seems quite nice, and all's well that end's well, or so they say.

Anyway, it's really, really, REALLY good to hear from you again. I was hoping nothing terrible happened, and you just forgot about us or something. Looks like it didn't work... Ah well. I wouldn't have believed it if you did forget us anyway, doesn't seem like your kinda thing. XD

Anyway, yeah. A big welcome back from that one guy who thinks you're awesome. ^_^
WHat's up ZANE!

Man, it's great to hear from ya. I am so sorry about my absence man. I did not mean to be away for so long, but sometimes life just makes you do things you don't want to do. I'm glad to see that you, Dazwa and Corey are still around. I sure do wish I knew what happened with the others. MookieRah, Squaminator, Petre, Zodiac and the countless others that kept me coming back.

I got a little nostalgia going right now, so I've been re-reading this thread in it's entirety. It's been awesome. I completely forgot about Corey's little "Movie Adaption" post. I was re-hooked again. And Petre's "Get Peter Jackson In This Thread Right Now" made me lulz all over again (which reminds me, I think I owe some people a video... gulp).

Good times. So is everyone in the Brawl forums now? Perhaps I should go and say hi? I'm not sure if they will remember me unless I'm accompanied by this thread...

And thanks Lake for your comment. Glad to see this thread is still getting to people! You all are gonna have to PM me your Wii codes so we can Smash it up.

Zane Fleia

Smash Journeyman
This would make one of the most epic movies ever. Hands-down. I mean, c'mon. I'd probably get to be in the credits, that alone makes it epic. :laugh:

So yeah, don't worry about it. Life bites sometimes. As impossible as it is to believe, there may, at some point in time, plausibly be something more important than Smash. Crazy, but there's some grain of truth in it somewhere. Now I'm gonna have to read through the rest of this thread just for the sake of it. Mostly because I remember it being the most epic thread on Smashboards. ^_^

As for being in the Brawl forums... Eh, not really. I have the game, for sure, but I sorta dropped outta Smashboards entirely. Just a day or two ago, I got an email with a topic notification from "Need help taking my title back..." I think "Huh, that looks familiar. Some newer guy read the thread and find it awesome enough to bring back?" and see HOLY CRAP IT'S ESTE WOOOO!!!! XD

Anyway, PM incoming with my Brawl code, though my WiFi is dead at the moment. I'll probably be able to get on sometime soon-ish, I hope. And for the record, the tag I use tends to go between both "Zane" and "Feri" on Brawl, so if you see Feri instead of Zane, it's still me, just with a different tag. XD

EsteBeatDown

Smash Cadet
Man, you received an e-mail after so long? That's amazing.

Maybe I should start a "Need Help Taking Our Brawl Title..." in the Brawl forums. Ha!

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
HOLY CRAP. i was just looking in my user CP and noticed this thread was still one of my subscriptions...and it had a post from today!

this was an epic thread.

EDIT: just read your story. that sucks alot. i mean, if i had to be in bed for a month, AND i couldnt play smash, i dont know what id do.

on the bright side, youre back! are you brawling yet, or still melee?

tom2bomb

Smash Cadet
HOLY S***! I JUST SPENT 2 HOURS READING ONE THREAD!! anyway,some story, i would ask for fc put i live in europe:mad:,but i plan to get it imported(when i con afford it:mad:)life sucks somethimes don't it

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
Wow it took a while but I read most of the main parts of this thread, its amazing really.
never got to see a video of you play though...

squaminator

Smash Ace
Man, it's great to hear from ya. I am so sorry about my absence man. I did not mean to be away for so long, but sometimes life just makes you do things you don't want to do. I'm glad to see that you, Dazwa and Corey are still around. I sure do wish I knew what happened with the others. MookieRah, Squaminator, Petre, Zodiac and the countless others that kept me coming back.
i got mentioned! w00t! i feel special now...

yeah, welcome back ESTE!

EsteBeatDown

Smash Cadet
Yeah, the video.... Ahem.

Man, I gotta be honest with you all. I have no idea where it is, or if I still even have it. I remember trying to keep myself busy while I was bed-ridden, so I asked my wife to give me al my unmarked CD's and laptop so I could check them out. I don't know if I threw it out or if it's hidden beneath all of my other stuff. I can check tonight when I get home. I know I owe it to you all, and I'll do my best to find it.

Hey squam! Hey Petre! Missed you guys. You all wanna send me your brawl code? I've been playing as much Brawl as a married man can, which isn't much. My bro's got my Wii, and has had it for a while. I let him borrow it since I felt it was not getting much use over here. I've yet to go over there and grab my Wii code, but as soon as I do I will send it so we can smash! I use Ike alot, but my bro seems to always get me with Olimar and R.O.B. It sucks...

Hey look, a kitte.. oh wait. It just died. Hmmm... Would that be my bad? :(

Zane Fleia

Smash Journeyman
OhgodsIdidn'tgettheupdate. Email didn't come. Drat. Oh well. If you do find it, show us! If you don't, well... Ah well, I guess. No big deal, right? ^_^

squaminator

Smash Ace
man, i hope that we get to see that video! i was waiting for months literally. my FC is on the left. Give yours to me and maybe we can play eventually.

also, where does your name come from?

Goldkirby

Smash Ace
zomg Este is back. This is the best thread ever created on Smashboards and I'm glad to see everything is working out for you now.

KillL0ck

Smash Ace
I'm not much of a reader but I have to admit this thread was something spectacular, the story really took my heart(Even though it could of been more detailed) - I was really happy that your little brother took your throne, just wondering though how is he faring against you in Brawl?

Also, find that video I really want to see it >.>

EsteBeatDown

Smash Cadet
zomg Este is back. This is the best thread ever created on Smashboards and I'm glad to see everything is working out for you now.
What’s up Gold? Doin’ well, I assume? Man, you guys give me too much credit. This thread could not have been the greatest one ever to grace this forum. I know there’s been others that have been better and longer. LOL. Nor did I myself make this story great. I was just a small pawn amongst a great cast of characters.

But thanks for the awesome compliment though!

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
i like your story man. u cant let the wife pwn your smash skills

i suggest you youtube this one vid og Hugs on youtube. insane samus player

EsteBeatDown

Smash Cadet
Hey guys.

I know you all have been waiting for the video. I apologize, but I just can't seem to find it.

I will tell you however, my group and I just finished our Brawl tournament, and we recorded the semi-finals and finals. Guess who was a part of those matches? :)

If you guys want, I can post them for ya. LOL.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Evidentially, I'm really good at Brawl. Probably power rank worthy. It's too bad I don't have the excitement for Brawl that I do for Melee though...

Good to hear though.

Oh and...

THREAD REVIVE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom