• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NCSU Smash Rehash Vol. 7 "No Dr.PP! You might actually win!" Edition

Shadocat

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3737-9651-3260
by maining snake he is by definition one of the best snakes in NC. we have sushi, stock, him, and if kadaj wants in, him. there are 4, if he was the 4th best of top 4 he's a top snake in NC. that's silly but true -_-
Omg, you guys are New England 2.0 with all of those snakes.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I mean all Snakes are bad to me, but you are getting better Stock, just keep it up!

GaGa

Smash Journeyman
Josh: I enjoyed teaming with you. Sorry for killing you so many times, though. That jab really was supposed to be a wavedash. Someday I'll be good enough at teams that I don't accidentally kill you multiple times every game.

The people I was playing teams with: That was a lot of fun. Let's play again next time. I'll make sure I do a better job at not KOing my teammate.

Those team friendlies with Josh were too good. Dont feel too bad about hitting him so much. After a certain point I was intentionally setting up situations that you would because it annoyed him so much. And that "jab" was the funniest thing EVER lolololololol.

btw, my name is Taheem(L)[Marth] and the other guys name is Tac(Falco/Pikachu) we deff have to play more sometime, hah.

:phone:

lord karn

Smash Master
Lucas will take any opportunity to take cheap shots at me (why I don't know really).
(my tag is 313 by the way)

Of course the best Snake is Danny but he retired from singles. I said I'm one of the best not the best. My intention wasn't to offend anybody by making the statement either.
I don't really understand making a distinction between whether or not someone mains a character. If someone's snake is better, then it doesn't matter if they main him or not. It just seems like an easy way to claim titles that are misleading and a hindrance to your improvement as a player.

That being said, I don't really know how good your snake is. Maybe you are one of the best. Sanketh, Danny, Ali, mits, and I all have/had pretty good snakes.

No offense, just advice.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Thanks for telling me your tags. I'd heard them before, and knew I'd seen you guys before, but I hadn't connected the two. Actually, I'm pretty sure we played at my first tournament (NCSU 4). I'm looking forward to playing with you guys again. And next time I wavedash, my finger won't slip.

Karn, here's where maining a character is important: I can say I'm the best Kirby main in NC. Sure, people like PP have better Kirbys, but they aren't Kirby mains.

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
I think the distinction is important because people need to identify with a character. If we did it based on skill with the character and placing, Esam and Vinnie would get top 2 or 3 of 30 or so of 35 of the cast in the nation, simply because they are so good and can also play that character. Most people consider me the best DK in NC besides Esam, who doesn't main him, but I bet Kadaj could have a better DK with some practice. Others could too, I'd wager. we have to have some way of defining if they can be called "a ____ player."

moTT

Smash Cadet
yo

5th place

3rd match last stock high percent vs yay

i feel accomplished
Man, you got my hopes up, because I was gonna crack on Yay! I talked to Yay about this, and not only did he tell me that the last match wasn't high % (he said he had like 30-40% when he won), but you took a pause DQ? Come on now, bayb.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
It is unfair to group the pros up in the random *** characters unless they legitimately put time into them. I'm probably a top 5, as waldorf said, of like 15 or so characters in this game when I actually only put time into 3-4. My overall player skill translates over to characters way better than people who actually just play that character, that's how good of a player I am.

But yeah, if you play the character seriously, even if you don't MAIN him, you should still be considering for best in state or top 5 or whatever.

lord karn

Smash Master
Eh, I still think it doesn't matter. It just seems like an arbitrary category to consider yourself better than you really are. PP probably has the thirdish best fox in the world. I don't see why that doesn't make him the thirdish best fox, even if he doesn't 'main' him. For whatever reason, he understands that character better than the other contenders. If it's just because he is a better player, well that seems like what we were trying to measure in the first place.

Stockfield

Smash Champion
But yeah, if you play the character seriously, even if you don't MAIN him, you should still be considering for best in state or top 5 or whatever.
I definitely agree with this 100%.

Jaurice is really weird when it comes to this thing. He thinks if you say you main "_____" then you should only use said Chatacter. That's why He gets so pissed everytime I use ROB. Since I've said I main Snake, he thinks I should only use him.

I just don't get the way he thinks.

Shady Penguin

Smash Lord
I'm not sure how I would stack up if I actually practiced again, but Sanketh and Kadaj are a lot better with Snake in singles than I am.

I only do so well in doubles because I can quickly adapt to working with partners who are better than me and thus make myself a lot more effective and not a burden (team combos, strategy, etc.)

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Do May 12th, not May 5th. May 12th. I have AP exams the week before the 12th.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
I definitely agree with this 100%.

Jaurice is really weird when it comes to this thing. He thinks if you say you main "_____" then you should only use said Chatacter. That's why He gets so pissed everytime I use ROB. Since I've said I main Snake, he thinks I should only use him.

I just don't get the way he thinks.
Maybe I'm looking in too deep about this, but for me it boils down to reputation. Jash is known as an amazing toon link, Nicole is known as a superb peach etc. Of course people can pick whoever they please, but they're known as being good with a specific character. The only person I can think that's good with alot of characters is ninjalink.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
may 5th? can't goooo

stongers did a sick job on getting results up as usual.

karn: you probably have comeback-related things happen because of the way opponents adjust while you continue playing the same way. people play very differently when leads become increased and taking advantage of those things is important. You can also be caught getting reckless/lazy depending on whether you are ahead/behind often if you don't watch yourself and thoughts carefully.

On this top character thing: I like giving titles to those who put time into the character because it gives them more realistic goals to work towards. However, I wouldn't say that it actually makes someone the best player of that character if they beat those other mains.

Example: ubermario beasts his region and is declared the best Mario main after performing solidly at a regional/national. However, once he gets destroyed by Mango in Mario dittos I doubt I would call him the best Mario, but I would call him the best Mario MAIN.

That distinction was important to me when I was improving because getting ahead of Shiz's/Zhu's Falcos felt more realistic than getting ahead of Mango's secondary Falco(now considered his main obviously but this was like 09-10ish). It also gave me the eventual goal of becoming the best Falco period, but settling for the best Falco main also gave me great pride and the feeling that I could know more about my character specifically than Mango, even if I didn't know more than him about the game once reaching that goal.

Also lol those team names XD

GaGa

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't want to claim "best _____ player" if someone could beat me or perform better with MY MAIN(especially considering they dont even play that character). Personally, it would feel undeserved.

Although I see what Jaurice is trying to say as well. Eh...

BEES

Smash Lord
Eh, I still think it doesn't matter. It just seems like an arbitrary category to consider yourself better than you really are. PP probably has the thirdish best fox in the world. I don't see why that doesn't make him the thirdish best fox, even if he doesn't 'main' him. For whatever reason, he understands that character better than the other contenders. If it's just because he is a better player, well that seems like what we were trying to measure in the first place.
There are three ways to be the best at a character:

-Best in general
-Best main of the character
-Best at dittos

All of them are important, and all three can be different. The first one is who is best at the character, obviously. Even if they don't main the character or use it in tournaments, it is who is best. The second is important because that's the strongest one you're likely to have to fight in tournament, so it is the one that matters the most to you. And the third is important for money-matches or specific situations.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
i was probably at least a top 10 ganon "main" when i mained him. but that meant nothing cause ganon's easy as **** to play, so if you understand the game just a little bit better, it's not particularly hard to perform better than what my ganon did in tournament.

also, what kevin said. i was also still quite interested in becoming the best ganon main in NC, and was also very very interested in becoming a fairly well known ganon main overall. i would've liked to become the best ganon in NC, but for one, ganon dittos are dumb, and two, pp is kinda good at them.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Then you'll have to show it to me. You know, my Kirby did decently against Yay's Falcon. Unless your Kirby is way better than his Falcon, I could probably do decently against it.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
you probably haven't.

kevin when we live together.

it's going down.

multiple times.
LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

yo chris if I **** you with kirby in a bo5 when I arrive then you have to buy my next meal and get no kirby for another week.

Then you'll have to show it to me. You know, my Kirby did decently against Yay's Falcon. Unless your Kirby is way better than his Falcon, I could probably do decently against it.
LOOOOOL raphbo you're too much

dammit i can't tell if this kid is serious or not.

i don't know why i keep trying...
because it's fun

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Hey, I got a whole stock of his Falcon. I don't care if it was a suicide, I'm counting it. If PP's Kirby is about as good, then I might also be able to get suicides off him. Or I might do better, given that (I think) I'm better at Kirby dittos than I am at Kirby-Falcon.

I need to practice with better people, though. Right now I just screw around with Pichu, Doc, Falco, etc, and don't really try. Occasionally I play Ganon, but it's so boring to just sit there and 4stock people, when I could have a good time doing it with Pichu using a PS2 controller while solving Calculus problems.

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
pleaassseee don't put NCSU on the 5th, that's in the middle of exams lol.
Not to mention Bragaw shouldn't be open. classes end on the 2nd, I think? bragaw recreation should be closed then. But you should also have all your exams during that time too lol

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
yo chris if I **** you with kirby in a bo5 when I arrive then you have to buy my next meal and get no kirby for another week.

EVERY MONDAY NIGHT.

we will move up the tier list or something. start with kirby, and then move onward.

i'll probably get stuck at your pikachu or ylink.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
That isn't it, Jaurice. He doesn't particularly excel at any and has a lot of characters for HIGH level play. He isn't a top level player and it shows since he never put enough time into one or two characters to make them amazing. The only time he did was when he SOLO MAINED Diddy because all of his time went into him. He isn't a good enough/smart enough player to play multiple characters at a top level.

lord karn

Smash Master
may 5th? can't goooo

stongers did a sick job on getting results up as usual.

karn: you probably have comeback-related things happen because of the way opponents adjust while you continue playing the same way. people play very differently when leads become increased and taking advantage of those things is important. You can also be caught getting reckless/lazy depending on whether you are ahead/behind often if you don't watch yourself and thoughts carefully.

On this top character thing: I like giving titles to those who put time into the character because it gives them more realistic goals to work towards. However, I wouldn't say that it actually makes someone the best player of that character if they beat those other mains.

Example: ubermario beasts his region and is declared the best Mario main after performing solidly at a regional/national. However, once he gets destroyed by Mango in Mario dittos I doubt I would call him the best Mario, but I would call him the best Mario MAIN.

That distinction was important to me when I was improving because getting ahead of Shiz's/Zhu's Falcos felt more realistic than getting ahead of Mango's secondary Falco(now considered his main obviously but this was like 09-10ish). It also gave me the eventual goal of becoming the best Falco period, but settling for the best Falco main also gave me great pride and the feeling that I could know more about my character specifically than Mango, even if I didn't know more than him about the game once reaching that goal.

Also lol those team names XD

Well, if Mango only beat ubermario, then you still couldn't declare him best just because of data. But since mango beat so many better players with mario then yeah, he is the best mario. Distinguishing between mains and not is silly. You can still set realistic goals without limiting it to mains. Instead of saying "I want to be the best Falco MAIN," just say "I want to get better than all of these other falcos, and think about getting on the level of top players later."

And yeah, I can see that with my matches. I think I also just focus better when I'm down.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I don't see much point in distinguishing between mains and not mains in terms of goals. That seems to be a matter of personal motivation, and thinking of players in terms of "maining" or not "maining" a character could help people improve.

I meant to use Mango's Mario without referencing the fact that Scorp had obviously beaten good players with Mario before lol. And I wouldn't treat skill discussions like PRs, with who beat who. If I could watch Mango beat this guy in a ditto and maybe do better against a person or two extra that ubermario couldn't, then that data would be sufficient for me to declare Mango better. I'd settle for observing how each player made decisions in their matches against each other independently of wins/losses, but that would be for a mains vs not mains discussion as well, which you aren't particularly interested in lol.

Edit:
EVERY MONDAY NIGHT.

we will move up the tier list or something. start with kirby, and then move onward.

i'll probably get stuck at your pikachu or ylink.
Let's draw up a bottom/low/mid tier list when I arrive ROFL. Most intense arguments over Zelda vs M2 ever LMAOOO.

I need to practice Kirby and low tiers now XD

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I'm happy to practice Kirby with you. Kirby dittos are the best. Especially on Big Blue.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
no, you don't have to.

i'd be feeding you every monday night once i get to your mario regardless until i REALLY figure out that mu. that gives me at most the first 7 or 8 weeks of winning.

Top Bottom