• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NCSU Smash Rehash Vol. 7 "No Dr.PP! You might actually win!" Edition

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
The status of "main" seems to be a badge of honor, especially if there isn't a secondary being used. People tend to respect solo mains more than players who utilize multiple characters, especially if one of those characters happens to be top tier. For example, who would you be more impressed with: The guy who gets 1st going half-Luigi/half-MK, or the guy who gets 1st going ALL Luigi?

Playing only one character in bracket in is a trade-off of sorts........

Pros
+Maximum experience/mastery over a character is easier to obtain.
+Respect given to you by other players for never needing to change/showing dedication, especially if the character in question isn't MK and moreso if the character is mid/low tier.

Cons
-If your character isn't MK, you run the risk of running into bad MUs.
-It's easier for an opponent to adapt to one character throughout a set than multiple characters.

If we look at things purely from a tactical/winning perspective, you should play multiple characters if you can play said characters at a top level, unless you happen to be a top-level MK at a MK-legal tourney, and even then another top-level character at your disposal can possibly help you win the set.

Of course, not all players play with winning solely in mind. We all know that.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Being a solo-main is stubborn in this current metagame. Counterpicking characters is clearly superior and it takes away your susceptibility to stages. I don't ever have to worry about a character like diddy/ICs taking me to FD since I can just go ICs myself. I don't have to worry, as an ICs, going to RC since I have Pikachu for it. I don't have to worry about Olimar or Lucario as Pikachu because I have ICs. It is clearly superior in this current metagame.

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Being a solo-main is stubborn in this current metagame. Counterpicking characters is clearly superior and it takes away your susceptibility to stages. I don't ever have to worry about a character like diddy/ICs taking me to FD since I can just go ICs myself. I don't have to worry, as an ICs, going to RC since I have Pikachu for it. I don't have to worry about Olimar or Lucario as Pikachu because I have ICs. It is clearly superior in this current metagame.
Yup, like I said, it's just plain tactically superior. In fact, my quest for Bowser supremacy looks incredibly stubborn and foolish by this logic. Sure, my little quest is "noble and honorable," but I'm beginning to question the value of honor and low-tier prestige in a game where we constantly put our money on the line.........

BEES

Smash Lord
Full-time mains get more respect because players cultivate an attachment to their favorite characters, and every player represents their character.

The only utility to be gained for maining low tiers is the element of surprise. You can exploit someone's inexperience with the matchup. Perhaps also, it can be an attempt to find a character whose metagame is less explored and see if perhaps they were underrated.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
Illmatic's Peach though.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Lol Aerolink, ESAM and I were actually talking about that on aim the other day.
Peach pretty much counters or goes even with all the characters he plays.

PEACH

ahahhahahahhahahaa

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
foxy is gdlk at kirby air ride i once went over to his house and he had just finished getting every achievement like, in a row. I think it was like the 2nd time he'd done it too.

GofG

Smash Champion
Man, you got my hopes up, because I was gonna crack on Yay! I talked to Yay about this, and not only did he tell me that the last match wasn't high % (he said he had like 30-40% when he won), but you took a pause DQ? Come on now, bayb.
first match, I was at zero, he was at like 120, last stock, I got a grab, he paused trying to mash out. I was guaranteed the kill from the grab. I pause dq'd him because I didn't want to risk dropping the grab and losing because of the pause. I didn't know till after that he would have let me grab him again.

lord karn

Smash Master
Another thing is that once you get into the rhythm of a grab combo, it might be hard to jump back into that once you get the regrab. I think it was 100% legit to dq him.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I'm going to be uploading videos for the rest of tonight and tomorrow. With any luck, everything should be up by Monday.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Alright, I've uploaded the losers finals set between Yay and KP. However, I'm having a lot of trouble finding the other sets due to the lack of tags. If you know your match was recorded, please message me with any details you can remember. Stages, characters, color, stocks remaining after each game, etc.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Look for things as they may have happened chronologically and done especially after striking and such. That can help narrow down which videos are actually important.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I've found some of those. The problem is, I have no clue who was playing, which means I have no clue whether it was a Bo3 or Bo5, and I wouldn't want to upload a Bo5 that was missing games. I've had requests to upload friendlies, so I'll do that now. I also have Brawl to upload, which will hopefully be a lot easier to sort through.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
You could just ask in the thread about the characters striking to a certain stage and which one won the first game or two.

Makes your life easier and more stuff gets uploaded.

In the future, it may be better to have a paper note you bring to attach to the tv that says people must play with tags and preferably only tournament stuff. That's what I've seen some recorders do.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I plan to upload them anyway once I finish the other stuff I'm doing, but I want to give people time to give me names and details, since it would make my job a lot easier.

I'll put a note on my TV next time. I know many hours of friendlies were recorded at this tournament.

Also, do you happen to bring spare Video tapes with you to tournaments? If you do, one of my TVs has a built in VCR, so both of them could be recording setups.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
Me and Foxy played Josh and Yay on FD twice and battlefield once durin our losers finals set, after striking of course

I was fox, foxy was puff, josh was falco, yay was another fox

The only set I played on that set-up

Hope that helps some

:phone:

GaGa

Smash Journeyman
I played various games on that TV, but I can't remember any in particular right now...

Um any vids with a black marth and a "L" tag are most likely me.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
i giggled at the L

taheem, stay in wilmington for a while longer. we need more interactions. things like that marth dtilt wavedash shenanigans and such.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
man if he doesn't stay in wilmington, and i end up stuck there this summer, do you realize how HORRIBLE it will be for me there?

like if bryan goes back to durham or something, i'm done for. my only hope is motivating spoon and teaching the other up and comers. idk if i'd even wanna go to FC at the end of THAT summer lmao

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
Yeah for me that's pretty much all it is. Going to ncssm killed most of my connections with local friends, so its pretty tough for me to find much entertainment at all.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
Wilmington is amazing, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I had really weird feelings about playing high level match ups this tourney. Even though I fight against Marths/Sheiks/Falcons regularly, I felt mad rusty against Redd's Sheik or Yay's Falcon as far as just that overall "Oh ****, they know what to do next" feeling.

Regardless, is my set with Redd up? It's the only one I think I really wanted to see. Both games were last stock and pretty legit, I think.

And for the record: Yay's Falcon ***** me in Loser's, I remember specifically thinking halfway through Game 1 "Yo, when is the last time I fought a good Falcon?" **** went downhill from there. haha

GF's was hype stuff. Falcon dittos on Onett are lmaoooooo

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
If those sets aren't up, it's because I wasn't able to work out who was playing. I'm uploading Brawl at the moment, and will get back to Melee after that. That way I gave people time to give me info.

You usually use tags, though, so based on that info I should be able to find those games. If I do, expect them up tonight/tomorrow.

GaGa

Smash Journeyman
Umm. I dash dance between Wilmington and Raleigh a lot so, everything should be gudd.

P.S. - Wilmington is essentially Shelby with a beach and a mall, lol. At least in my opinion :/.

P.S.S. - thanks raph.

Top Bottom