• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NC Brocator Thread!

GofG

Smash Champion
you guys know what the problem with humanity is?

somewhere along the line we got too good at pattern recognition.

we noticed that cause led to effect, and we ascribed meaning to that. the meaning is made by humans. we are meaning-ascription machines. we are the only thing in the universe (that we know of) capable of ascribing meaning to things. without us, meaning does not exist. there is no purpose; things just happen. it is up to us to decide what is important and what isn't, not because things actually are important but because things are important to us. we are the arbiters of meaning simply because we are the only thing capable of comprehension of meaning.

but the act of the ascription of meaning only works in our own perspective. perspective is everything, and it itself is inherently meaningless. we cannot ascribe meaning to anything outside of our realm; we cannot curl upwards, or escape the closed system of humanity. our culture, our emotion, the human experience, the perspective of man. these things are not inherently meaningful. we must give them meaning for them to be meaningful.

why is something meaningful? modern art is "meaningful" because of symbolism and other nonsensical things. sounds like a bunch of bosshogwash to me. i would like to use the analogy that we are children in the playpen of reality, trapped forever, examining our toys, and there are no parents watching us. the parents would supply meaning, as God does to christians, but there is no god.

i would like to use that analogy, but we aren't even children. we are pool balls, on a frictionless pool table, careening around endlessly, smashing into and bouncing off of each other with no rhyme or reason, enslaved to the laws of physics. selfawareness has given us something "special", but we are not purposed to the duty of meaning ascription. we do it because we desire to recognize patterns.

an accident of the complex, yet determined and simple, evolution of the brain, tricked us into believing we had the ability to look at something and say, "oh yes, that is more meaningful than this other thing. and that thing is more meaningful than this even other thing." and maybe the meaning we ascribe is unique, in that it does not happen anywhere else, but that does not mean that the meaning itself has meaning.

i postulate that everything is meaningless.

what is left? we have only one axiom to drive us forward: happiness is good. i don't know why happiness is good, but i believe it to be so. that is the definition of an axiom; i cannot prove it. i cannot even give any evidence for it. it is simply a starting point for the human perspective. happiness is good. sadness is bad.

is it enough to lead a meaningless but happy life? are the holy moments i experience, sex with the person i love, strokes of brilliance in the activities i partake in, clever hofstadterian riddles, are all of these "different" from ordinary life in my mind because they cross some threshold for the deliverance of happiness? is the meaning that i ascribe to them simply symptomatic of that euphoria? happiness seems to me as empty as ether. purpose is the only substance with any mass. any graveness, any seriousness. but purpose is a fraud.

:/

****in girls, man

e: thanks livejournal

GofG

Smash Champion
the system of logic we have invented happens to isomorphically map onto how we interpret reality, so far. i do not deny that systems of logic which generally hold true to reality can be generated from the axiom of non-contradiction.

the system that we live in (reality) is generated from some set of rules which are as of yet unknown to us, but i am not talking about the physical reality. i am talking about the perspective of humanity. we are undoubtedly creatures who "desire" (what a funny word in this context) meaning, and yet there is no meaning. this is a problem. a change in perspective only changes the magnitude of the problem, but cannot fix it.

lord karn

Smash Master
I was talking about the system of logic we use. However, it seems to me that the human brain can only really comprehend systems of logic generated from LNC. Human language is rooted in it. So I suppose when you say, 'the system that we live in (reality) is generated from a set of rules as of yet unknown to us,' what I'm saying is that this system of rules is forever unknowable because of the limitations of our brains. However, even saying this isn't quite right, because even uttering this sentence is assuming LNC, and if reality was structured on something other than LNC, then contradictions would be possible, which really just leads into the realm of nonsense. Basically, humans can't really talk about meaning, which I guess is a little different from 'there is no meaning.'

Divinokage

Smash Legend
It's pretty simple to me, it's either you do things.. or you don't. Why do I have to 2nd guess every action I make? Warrior way, all the way!!

GofG

Smash Champion
I was talking about the system of logic we use. However, it seems to me that the human brain can only really comprehend systems of logic generated from LNC. Human language is rooted in it. So I suppose when you say, 'the system that we live in (reality) is generated from a set of rules as of yet unknown to us,' what I'm saying is that this system of rules is forever unknowable because of the limitations of our brains. However, even saying this isn't quite right, because even uttering this sentence is assuming LNC, and if reality was structured on something other than LNC, then contradictions would be possible, which really just leads into the realm of nonsense. Basically, humans can't really talk about meaning, which I guess is a little different from 'there is no meaning.'
meaning supposes an arbiter, some intelligence to sort things into categories of meaningful and not meaningful. up until recently i was fine with that arbiter being "humanity", but now i am not.

what do you think supplies meaning? do you think that some things are simply inherently meaningful?

Divinokage

Smash Legend
meaning supposes an arbiter, some intelligence to sort things into categories of meaningful and not meaningful. up until recently i was fine with that arbiter being "humanity", but now i am not.

what do you think supplies meaning? do you think that some things are simply inherently meaningful?
Are you trying to find meaning for things?

lord karn

Smash Master

Well, if you don't accept LNC, then meaning does not necessarily imply an arbiter.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
Great/read conversation, John and Alex.

I think I've talked to you both several times about perception and yeah, I came to the regress of meaning and the subjectivity of everything really deeply a couple months ago. I remember sitting somewhere and talking to someone about it and at the end just ending up saying "Holy ****...we made it all up. Everything. All of it. It's all in our heads." Harsh stuff to consider.

Great exploration of the idea though, John. Your analogies are glorious. Also, lmao bosshogwash

EDIT: My only real response to those thoughts, when I came to that realization/John's OP, was the realization that there is plenty of meaning to life; yours. Exploring, realizing and fulfilling and respecting your own self ascribed meaning to your life as a means to accomplishing happiness is the only way to fly.

EDIT2:
It's pretty simple to me, it's either you do things.. or you don't. Why do I have to 2nd guess every action I make? Warrior way, all the way!!
Lmao I always imagine that Kage has to put down his battleaxe to type his posts.

enCouRaging Bear

Smash Journeyman
you guys know what the problem with humanity is?

somewhere along the line we got too good at pattern recognition.

we noticed that cause led to effect, and we ascribed meaning to that. the meaning is made by humans. we are meaning-ascription machines. we are the only thing in the universe (that we know of) capable of ascribing meaning to things. without us, meaning does not exist. there is no purpose; things just happen. it is up to us to decide what is important and what isn't, not because things actually are important but because things are important to us. we are the arbiters of meaning simply because we are the only thing capable of comprehension of meaning.
Had this idea on shrooms... except i also thought that perhaps animals could as well (can we really assume that they have no consciousness?) and maybe came to the a further conclusion and "decided" to stop caring and just eat and **** all the time. maybe higher forms of consciousness means just living with not knowing and eating and pooping and having sex all the time

but the act of the ascription of meaning only works in our own perspective. perspective is everything, and it itself is inherently meaningless. we cannot ascribe meaning to anything outside of our realm; we cannot curl upwards, or escape the closed system of humanity. our culture, our emotion, the human experience, the perspective of man. these things are not inherently meaningful. we must give them meaning for them to be meaningful.

i would like to use that analogy, but we aren't even children. we are pool balls, on a frictionless pool table, careening around endlessly, smashing into and bouncing off of each other with no rhyme or reason, enslaved to the laws of physics. selfawareness has given us something "special", but we are not purposed to the duty of meaning ascription. we do it because we desire to recognize patterns.

an accident of the complex, yet determined and simple, evolution of the brain, tricked us into believing we had the ability to look at something and say, "oh yes, that is more meaningful than this other thing. and that thing is more meaningful than this even other thing." and maybe the meaning we ascribe is unique, in that it does not happen anywhere else, but that does not mean that the meaning itself has meaning.

i postulate that everything is meaningless.

what is left? we have only one axiom to drive us forward: happiness is good. i don't know why happiness is good, but i believe it to be so. that is the definition of an axiom; i cannot prove it. i cannot even give any evidence for it. it is simply a starting point for the human perspective. happiness is good. sadness is bad.
Nietzsche and George Bataille ftw
except I think life in all forms is interesting and worth preserving "regardless" of happiness or sadness. being selfish blows but i assume you meant happiness for as much people as possible and not just yourself :)
and striving to achieve higher modes of consciousness would also be a great goal... in the mean time structuring and patterning things, even if they are based on only our own perceptions, preserves life and so to a certain extent is worth keeping until we reach higher consciousness
but ultimately i think escaping the realm of self might be what is most important even if your own happiness is what's most immediate to you

and yes girls are poopy
hi nc smash community! do all of you guys enjoy talking about philosophy lol

enCouRaging Bear

Smash Journeyman
lol that idea is one that im hesitant about... since i started having a bad trip shortly afterwards thinking about animals
but hey there isn't anything wrong with eating and ****ing if... if you know what's underneath the censor HAA

edit: nvm it only makes if its either **** or **** and i know I enjoy doing both
but hey dude you're ahead in the race... can't wait to catch up and stop being concerned with these other useless things

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
Had this idea on shrooms... except i also thought that perhaps animals could as well (can we really assume that they have no consciousness?) and maybe came to the a further conclusion and "decided" to stop caring and just eat and **** all the time. maybe higher forms of consciousness means just living with not knowing and eating and pooping and having sex all the time
THISSSSSSSSSS SO HARD

yes.

Also, is that a Bloody Mary, KAge?

enCouRaging Bear

Smash Journeyman
I suppose the ubermensch might be a bit cocky of mankind... but I think it means eventually seeing the world and life as purely as possible no? without assigning our patterns and ****. pretty admirable imo. what else would you propose? everything else seems a little too self absorbed to me. not that i'm a friggin jedi or anything...
edit: maybe i'm wrong for thinking that preservation of life is inherently meaningful though. it just seems like there's so little of it in this universe that it'd be important.

Top Bottom