• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Naka Monthly - Sunday Feb 11, 12-6pm

maximusartemus

Smash Cadet
The banner is great but it is missing something. I don't see, "He's so young" on it. The banner definately needs that.

Renth

Smash Hero
Green Greens *****.
Stage is too good.

@ Swift

we need more roy dittos, they were too good.

pockyD

Smash Legend
jungle japes is a sweet marth counter

brinstar is great against spacies

all from vidjo's set of really gay counterpicks (along with kj64, mute city, and others)

edit: wes we're the only ones that i've seen counterpick non-neutral stages anyway (i guess justin picked mute city this sunday but that was the first time i saw that from him); i think everyone else should look into it; it's a good way to get a cheap advantage

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
i couldve sworn that brinstar was banned because of the peach counterpick being too strong?

WTF jungle japes? as in the one with 4 platforms?

wow i had no idea.

pockyD

Smash Legend
i think brinstar was banned for like 1 MLG because it hosed spacies too poorly but community backlash brought it back

and no one likes playing on jungle japes; it just has so much ******** stuff and very little normal fighting (any time you're not in the middle)

by the way, does anyone know if the klaptrap spike is a meteor (is it cancellable)?

takieddine

Smash Master
I dont think it matters if its cancellable anyways, because it is already low enough in the stage, plus it would freaking drag you under more.

Also if you cancel it you might find youself stuck under a platform...

I dont see why it would be useful to cancel.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
while i dont think it would be actually used, I would like to see someone like viperboy make something out of it

EDIT: yo anyone tryin to play a bit today?

maximusartemus

Smash Cadet
One of the biggest problems I think that causes people not to counterpick stages is because in friendlies there is never anything but the neutral stages. Not only do people not know what stages can be counterpicked, but they do not know how to fight on them really. I personally think that while doing friendlies, and therefore training, that all stages that can be picked should be put on random. Not only is it better to learn, but playing on Final Destination(which is perhaps the most unfair stage in the game, but this isnt the place to get into that) all night gets boring. Besides when we get a few sets in, there are not any stages other than neutral ones.

Also, I cannot really tell, but is poke floats banned for singles. It looks kinda red at the top, but the color scheme seems a little weird because of the background.

Anyways I vote to put all pickable stages on random when doing friendlies.

takieddine

Smash Master
I actually didnt know that those stages are even allowed...i thought pokefloats was a counterpick with mute city.

YAY corneria, yay usmash, yay win (<3 justin's peach).

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Poke floats is perfectly coshere for counterpicking in singles. Also, I completely agree with Justin on the random stages for friendlies, I think the pros outweigh the cons of this:

Pros
1. 6 stages get boring. More stages = more variety = more fun.
2. Teaches you how to play on possible counterpick stages, so that if/when they get counterpicked vs. you, you know what to do.

Cons
1. Random gay match-ups. (ICs on Poke Floats, Peach vs. Fox on Green Greens)

We can discuss at Duquesne this friday, but I personally think it's a good idea and have already screwed with my Random stage for doing friendlies at home so that I'll know the stages better.

pockyD

Smash Legend
yeah i've been "playing" on all legal stages as well (three-for-alls lol =[)

i think it's generally a good idea if we run sets and counterpicks rather than going straight-up random with every single stage; what's been holding this back has been the ridiculously high (which isn't necessarily bad but it does prevent us from running sets) turnout recently

for example, i acknowledge people will pick certain stages against me, but i'd rather not ever use my main in those situations, so if i'm practicing that stage, i'd rather be practicing the character i would use in a tournament scenario

one possible compromise; when we do loser-out for individual games, do it like a slob pick (newcomer picks the stage, winner picks character, newcomer picks character); not only does this help us play more stages but it makes it more difficult (theoretically) for one player to ride a hot streak and not sit out. Of course, if everyone is rocking one stage against you, we can add a rule that the same stage can't be picked two times in a row, etc.

EDIT: I'd be up for smashing today (today being thursday); aim = 'horizonflash', phone = 973-214-3905, and i'll probably check this forum moderately regularly to gauge interest

I've decided (like the past few thursdays lol) to not go to any classes today and i don't have work due tomorrow so i'm pretty much free from now til the end of the day

cowboyardee

Smash Journeyman
one possible compromise; when we do loser-out for individual games, do it like a slob pick (newcomer picks the stage, winner picks character, newcomer picks character); not only does this help us play more stages but it makes it more difficult (theoretically) for one player to ride a hot streak and not sit out. Of course, if everyone is rocking one stage against you, we can add a rule that the same stage can't be picked two times in a row, etc.
I like this idea a lot (of course I would, considering I tend to get screwed over a bit by loser out -- but even so it would make things more interesting, and I'd be a lot more likely to pull out my puffjiggy if I could pick stages).

Anyway, I'm off for the afternoon and down to play if anyone either lives nearby or wants to make the trek over here (regent square).

let me know

A-Laon

Smash Master
I'm not fond of the all-stages-random idea purely on the grounds that, in my opinion, most of those stages ****ing suck. Now, I'm more than willing to learn to play counterpicks for when I may need to face them in the future, but seeing as the entire purpose of such stages is to offset (sometimes radically) the odds of the match, typically by just outright blatantly gaying the players or shafting certain characters, I'm not keen on having them pollute the otherwise enjoyable experience of some good friendly matches.

Maybe I'm the only one, but I just don't find most of those stages fun at all.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
you play falco, the only stage that gets added that is strictly bad for you is brinstar.

Anyway, sure, maybe leave them off random and just run sets as much as possible is a better plan, but either way I want more stages. Poke Floats, Rainbow Cruise, Mute City, ect, are all fun and hillarious, and there definately isn't enough of them in our friendlies.

pockyD

Smash Legend
falco is rather bad on mute city, and poke floats isn't so hot for him either

and of course kj64, the king of all levels, also doesn't love falco

maximusartemus

Smash Cadet
I agree that the new-comer idea is a pretty good one. But the major problem that I see with it is that eventually people will get into a rut of picking the same stage against particular characters. While that is part of the idea, to learn the matchups, it is counter-productive to the variety of stages. We will need to discuss this more at Duquesne, or whenever. I do believe however that there should be some sort of change.

A-Laon

Smash Master
you play falco, the only stage that gets added that is strictly bad for you is brinstar.

Anyway, sure, maybe leave them off random and just run sets as much as possible is a better plan, but either way I want more stages. Poke Floats, Rainbow Cruise, Mute City, ect, are all fun and hillarious, and there definately isn't enough of them in our friendlies.
I don't really mind how it impacts Falco. I just find these stages to be generally idiotic.

I'd better clarify, I'm only talking about a few: Jungle Japes, Brinstar, Poke Floats, and (maybe) Green Greens.

I'm personally quite fine with stages like Mute City, Corneria, Rainbow Cruise, and the like.

Picky, picky. Honestly though, I'm fine with whatever you all want to do. Perhaps it just strikes me as rather odd that anybody would actually WANT to play on Jungle Japes.

cowboyardee

Smash Journeyman
stage rules from MLG NY (2006 semi finals- vegas didn't post its rules):

3. Singles random select stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams, Dreamland 64 & Pokemon Stadium
4. Doubles random select stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Rainbow Cruise, Dreamland 64 & Pokemon Stadium, DK64
5. Stages not listed on the random select list that are not banned are open for counter picks by the losing player.
6. Stages banned for Singles Only: Great Bay and Mushroom Kingdom 2

7. Stages banned for Doubles Only: Fountain of Dreams and Mute City
8. Stages banned for Singles & Doubles: Yoshi's Island (Pipes), Fourside, Hyrule Temple, Flatzone, Brinstar Depths, Icicle Mountain, Big Blue, Mushroom Kingdom 1, Venom, Yoshi's Island 64, Peach's Castle, and Kongo Jungle, Onett.

Renth

Smash Hero
The Cape said he had gotten it banned i'm not certain.
For the reasons of young link being able to live on the lasers forever

and the stage promotes mass amounts of camping.

A-Laon

Smash Master
I agree that Corneria can promote really gay tactics, but it's certainly not banned in general.
I'm really quite biased about Corneria. It's horribly camperific, but I personally, due to character choice, can counter that with laser fire. If I were anybody but Falco, I'd hate the map ruthlessly.

Top Bottom